Population drops

Foeclan.1698

1 hour ago, Tryfan.1457 said:

T1 is just plain filled with players. The only full server and (usually, though not at the moment) the only very high server. Reddit just posted the Maguuma reset queues: nearly 140 people for EBG, all other BGs were near 40. Did any t2 or t3 server queue all its maps on reset? I seriously doubt it unless BG did, since they are still chilling there.

More people equals more kills and deaths, that's pretty self evident I think.

As for t4, ViP is down there, so...

The only Very High server is in T2.

More people isn't self-evident.  A couple years ago when BG dominated in T1, the servers in T1 had more people yet they were lower in kills+deaths than T2.  That stat requires fighting.  There's lots of "not fighting" you can do in WvW even if there are a lot of people, like what happens when timezones are mismatched or when someone sits around and goes to cap a camp every 10m for participation without really playing.  I had an account on BG at the time.  There was a lot of players standing around semi-afk at the keep in EBG waiting for an opponent to attack.  Was incredibly boring.  I moved that account off.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Maybe some new, long term WvW rewards and achievements could help the population. Once you have most of the current achievements and WvW legendary armor you're mostly done reward-wise.

Yeah, I'm now at the point of "What do I do with skirmish tickets"? 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, Chaba.5410 said:

Try adding up the total kills+deaths from each tier.

I got:
T1 169119
T2 126488
T3 129648
T4 156667

T1 and T4 NA are the most active.  T2 and T3 are filled with players who aren't really wanting fights.

T2 and T3 stats have more to do with coverage-mismatching than whether or not people want to fight. In T2, when SOS is most active, the other servers are asleep so its very unlikely for that tier to generate significant K+D compared to T1, where each server there has sizeable NA/EU presence.

Also, it's more than plausible to think that the T2  servers are deliberately suppressing their activity so that they don't get promoted to T1. 

Edited by jul.7602

47 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

bit late in the discussion :DDD

but:

3 Kills per minute......  4 maps..... that means on average there is less than a single kill happening per map per minute....   in my books thats hella dead.

Thats the funny thing with averages - they're low when normal human beings sleep and work 90% of their daily life rather than play WvW.

1 hour ago, Sahne.6950 said:

bit late in the discussion :DDD

but:

3 Kills per minute......  4 maps..... that means on average there is less than a single kill happening per map per minute....   in my books thats hella dead.

0.75 kills per minute, per map, per hour, per day, per week. All the time non stop. That's what this average shows.

Let me try again: if you were making 75 cents per minute for every single minute of the week, would the amount you earn be more or less than what you make now? (hint: it nets 7,560 doller/euro per week. That's 30,240 doller/euro per month).

and yet that 0.75 dollar/euro is so small a number....

7 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

T2 and T3 stats have more to do with coverage-mismatching than whether or not people want to fight. In T2, when SOS is most active, the other servers are asleep so its very unlikely for that tier to generate significant K+D compared to T1, where each server there has sizeable NA/EU presence.

Also, it's more than plausible to think that the T2  servers are deliberately suppressing their activity so that they don't get promoted to T1. 

Yes.  Fighting is what the stat measures.  Tanking is a form of "not fighting" as is timezone stacking like I wrote to explain why more people doesn't always equal more fights.

"There's lots of "not fighting" you can do in WvW even if there are a lot of people."

Edited by Chaba.5410

On 1/25/2023 at 6:57 PM, Tryfan.1457 said:

Reddit just posted the Maguuma reset queues: nearly 140 people for EBG, all other BGs were near 40.

Whats ur point? U would have the same numbers in the map if ur queued.. #1 queue 40# queue or 204958# queue doesnt matter cuz u have a # cap anyway

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

0.75 kills per minute, per map, per hour, per day, per week. All the time non stop. That's what this average shows.

Let me try again: if you were making 75 cents per minute for every single minute of the week, would the amount you earn be more or less than what you make now? (hint: it nets 7,560 doller/euro per week. That's 30,240 doller/euro per month).

and yet that 0.75 dollar/euro is so small a number....

I am well aware how much that is

I still think thats little activity tho. Wvw used to feel alot more active years ago.... and more balanced.

Edited by Sahne.6950

Mag is the only full server and BG the only high pop server. Every other NA server has declined in population.

Players are leaving and it's a total bummer that nothing is being done to retain them.

Seeing Mag pull Kaining as a link this match should solidify that nothing is going to change.

3 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yes.  Fighting is what the stat measures.  Tanking is a form of "not fighting" as is timezone stacking like I wrote to explain why more people doesn't always equal more fights.

"There's lots of "not fighting" you can do in WvW even if there are a lot of people."

If you are deliberately tanking, by definition you are significantly reducing your activity, and thus reducing your likelihood of fighting.

5 minutes ago, jul.7602 said:

If you are deliberately tanking, by definition you are significantly reducing your activity, and thus reducing your likelihood of fighting.

Yes, thanks for repeating what I already wrote to say that more people doesn't always mean more K+Ds.