Rune of Holding price

Why is all the rune of holding a minimum price of what the vendor sells it. This seems a little unfair for people to set their own price when they have a absolute minimum because of in game vendor. If they want to keep the in game vendor selling them then it should be a bare minimum price and let the players determine the market value. Or they could let the players craft the runes and set the price. I don't see a reason for the vendor to set the minimum price.

Edited by cyberpunk.8231
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

The vendors are the only actual source for runes of holding (except the Supreme version, which comes from playing Sandstorm). Players cannot craft them and they don't drop anywhere, so all the ones on the Trading Post are purchased from vendors. If the vendors were removed the price would only go up because there would be no way for anyone to get new ones and the supply on the TP would gradually dry up. (Also as soon as the change was noticed speculators would buy them up to re-sell at higher prices since no one would be able to get them any other way.)

I'm not sure why they're tradable at all, considering the vendors are right next to the crafting stations and they don't have any use outside of crafting bags (and a few guild upgrades). Everyone can buy exactly the amount they need from the vendors when they need them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The vendors are the only actual source for runes of holding (except the Supreme version, which comes from playing Sandstorm). Players cannot craft them and they don't drop anywhere, so all the ones on the Trading Post are purchased from vendors. If the vendors were removed the price would only go up because there would be no way for anyone to get new ones and the supply on the TP would gradually dry up. (Also as soon as the change was noticed speculators would buy them up to re-sell at higher prices since no one would be able to get them any other way.)

I'm not sure why they're tradable at all, considering the vendors are right next to the crafting stations and they don't have any use outside of crafting bags (and a few guild upgrades). Everyone can buy exactly the amount they need from the vendors when they need them.

It's the same for a bunch of other crafting-materials you can get from vendors too, maybe so people can still get most of their money back , if they buy the wrong item or amount.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

It's the same for a bunch of other crafting-materials you can get from vendors too, maybe so people can still get most of their money back , if they buy the wrong item or amount.

That makes sense for the seller, but not for the buyer who is always going to be paying too much. I think that's what the OP is complaining about - because the minimum price the TP will let you sell them for is what it costs to buy them + TP fees there's no way for a buyer to get a discount by using the TP and no reason to do it except if they don't know where else to get the runes.

If the idea is to give people a way to get their money back if they buy too many I think it would be more sensible to make the vendor value the same as what they sell them for so you can just sell any extras back to them.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

That makes sense for the seller, but not for the buyer who is always going to be paying too much. I think that's what the OP is complaining about - because the minimum price the TP will let you sell them for is what it costs to buy them + TP fees there's no way for a buyer to get a discount by using the TP and no reason to do it except if they don't know where else to get the runes.

If the idea is to give people a way to get their money back if they buy too many I think it would be more sensible to make the vendor value the same as what they sell them for so you can just sell any extras back to them.

That's not the case, the vendor sell price is much lower then the buy price for all of the runes, so the minimum TP-price isn't a problem in this case.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

TP minimum price is based on vendor value not vendor price. Vendor value is only 1s85c which is why the minimum TP price is 2s18c. The TP prices are what they are being there are thousands being bought and sold daily for the last 6+ years.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

That's not the case, the vendor sell price is much lower then the buy price for all of the runes, so the minimum TP-price isn't a problem in this case.

3 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

TP minimum price is based on vendor value not vendor price. Vendor value is only 1s85c which is why the minimum TP price is 2s18c. The TP prices are what they are being there are thousands being bought and sold daily for the last 6+ years.

Oh ok, so in that case it sounds like what the OP is asking for has already happened.

I'm not on my computer currently, so I was looking at the Wiki and all the runes I looked at had TP prices just above what it cost to buy them from the vendor, so I assumed the minimum TP price was the purchase price + fees, not the vendor value + fees.

• Like 1

There must be people who don't know you can buy them from a vendor.  I can't see any other reason to pay more or even the same price for something you could get more conveniently from the vendor at the crafting station where you're going to use the item.

Rune of Holding currently has a TP buy price of 16s98c for something you can get from the vendor for 14s80c.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

They could have just given them a vendor price that is 15% lower than buy price. In case of some other materials that are accessible only through vendors placed in spots not everyone has access too, it may have some sense in having them be TP-able, but Runes of Holding are on any craft vendor, and even completely new players have access to those.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 months later...

What I find a bit annoying is that people seem to try to sell the runes at a higher price than the vendor is selling them. At least from a buyer's point of view. Though it would be possible to sell lower since the minimum price is based on the value (price you'd get when selling back to an npc) assigned in the tool tip. And there are buy offers that are lower than the vendor buy price.

The sellers probably bought too much trying to calculate their fees into the price they are selling it. For new players ... they could walk into the trap - trying to buy there instead of from the NPC. To be fair though: Not that many seem listed. (As compared to other stuff where thousands are listed at the trading post.)

An easy fix really might have been to make those account bound - for the ones you only can get from the vendor. Then at the same time setting the value in the tool tip to the same as the price you pay for buying. (Then it could be interesting for old stuff still available - for people to take it off the TP and re-sell it at the vendor.)

It might somehow affect the market of items that rely on those runes. (Where now people might instead try to use left over runes to craft stuff and sell the crafted stuff. Instead of putting the rune at the market that is too expensive. Though they now also could sell to one of the buy listings that are below NPC buy price.)

(I compared for one of the better versions - the one that costs 2g. Where sellers list at 2.10 or so. And buyers at 1.9somethign. For the cheap rune even buyers try to buy ... for sometehing higher than the NPC buy value.) Does not make sense that stuff only available from the NPC was allowed to be on the TP in the first place. Only makes sense for stuff you can get from other sources. (To drop the TP price lower than the vendor price. Though that is weird as well ... look at certain festival items that would cost ton of gold if bought with the currency from the NPC. That are for little silver at the trade post.)

Weird design issues. Like with the recipes of food where they now try to make them worth more ... by removing sources of the finished food. (Festival food removed from bags.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 2