New player looking for some help

The gear you get from boosting will take you through all the personal story, world exploration, dungeons ( if u find a party), every expansion and tier 1 fractals.

Fractals is also were you start to get ascended more reliably, rings to start with then accessories and in higher ones armor/weapons from the reward boxes.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If you are looking for new gear on the Trading Post, make sure to use the Search Filter for the stats are you looking for. You will find much cheaper exotic gear this way with the stats you want than using the stat prefix (e.g., "Berserker") for the search.

Thanks for that info will definitely remember that 

12 hours ago, Wereviper.4376 said:

I'm new to this game and made the mistake of using my 80 boost right away and was wondering what r some good ways to get some decent gear. Because most of the stuff that drops from killing adds in the open world is either unusable or worse then what I have.

To expand on what Linken.6345 said, GW2 is what is known as a "horizontal" progression game.  The gear you received with the boost (known as "exotic" gear) is only 5% lower stats than the best gear you can get (ascended/legendary) and that gear is only very rarely acquired as drops (never, in the case of legendary gear).

In GW2, instead of improving your item level you can use different stat combinations to support your build.  There are also skills known as "masteries".  Most of these do not increase your combat ability directly, although a few of them do.  An example of this would be mounts, which provide various engage skills such as the raptor's tail swipe which can be used when entering combat to damage and pull a group of nearby enemies together.

The boost gives you "Celestial" gear, which has an even mix of all stats.  The best way to utilize this gear is generally as part of a build that focuses on dealing damage via conditions (damage over time effects like burning, bleeding, etc.).  If you'd like assistance coming up with a good build for starting out in open world/story content at max level, let us know here on the forums what class you're playing and what you plan to do and we can help with that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

To expand on what Linken.6345 said, GW2 is what is known as a "horizontal" progression game.  The gear you received with the boost (known as "exotic" gear) is only 5% lower stats than the best gear you can get (ascended/legendary) and that gear is only very rarely acquired as drops (never, in the case of legendary gear).

In GW2, instead of improving your item level you can use different stat combinations to support your build.  There are also skills known as "masteries".  Most of these do not increase your combat ability directly, although a few of them do.  An example of this would be mounts, which provide various engage skills such as the raptor's tail swipe which can be used when entering combat to damage and pull a group of nearby enemies together.

The boost gives you "Celestial" gear, which has an even mix of all stats.  The best way to utilize this gear is generally as part of a build that focuses on dealing damage via conditions (damage over time effects like burning, bleeding, etc.).  If you'd like assistance coming up with a good build for starting out in open world/story content at max level, let us know here on the forums what class you're playing and what you plan to do and we can help with that. 

Thanks for that info and will do if I have anymore questions right now I have been messing with some builds I found on metabattle. Again thank u guys for the help and tid bits they r very appreciated 😊

Since nobody has mentioned it, crafting.  To level your crafting skills up, I strongly recommend the leveling guides at gw2crafts.net.  Also, make sure you are running the guild crafting booster that is available from the bartender in the tavern in the guild hall.

One of the nice things about ascended armor and weapons is that you can stat swap them in the mystic forge using just the EXOTIC insignia or inscription that you want to swap to, some ectos, and an anthology of heroes (bought from the mystic forge attendant for spirit shards).  The exotic inscriptions/insignias are much cheaper than the ascended, so it is quite a bit of gold savings.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 7:39 AM, Wereviper.4376 said:

I'm new to this game and made the mistake of using my 80 boost right away and was wondering what r some good ways to get some decent gear. Because most of the stuff that drops from killing adds in the open world is either unusable or worse then what I have.

an easy and effortless way to get stat selectable exotic armor is wvw weekly chests, "last bronze chest of the week according to @Linken.6345 🙂"

also you might consider doing a reward track for exotic armor and weapons, not stat selectable but aim for berserker gear as a placeholder so you can start working on your ascended stuff, its pretty quick and easy.

after getting your exotic gear, you can now participate in strikes, do, icebrood saga strikes daily and get your stat selectable ascended armor and weapons this way.

for stat selectable ascended rings, accessories and backpiece, check out living world S3, particularly bloodstone fen and bitterfrost frontier.

best of luck to you. 💪

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, eXruina.4956 said:

an easy and effortless way to get stat selectable exotic armor is wvw weekly chests, i think you just need to finish the wood tier each week to get it.

after getting your exotic gear, you can now participate in strikes, do, icebrood saga strikes daily and get your stat selectable ascended armor this way.

for stat selectable ascended rings, accessories and backpiece, check out living world S3, particularly bloodstone fen and bitterfrost frontier.

best of luck to you. 💪

It is the last silver chest for that box mate.

Last bronze chest my bad.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 2

As others have mentioned the boost armor will work fine, at least for core OW.  I think everyone get celestial stats now, so depending on profession (some can make full use of that stat set, ele does well with for example) it might be fine for pretty much everything except higher tier FotM.  I have not seen anyone mention that the first HoT zone Verdant Brink, offers stat selectable armor for zone currency, except for a chest piece, that is from an event, but you could easily farm enough Airship Parts to get the other 5 pieces in a few days, add in a bit of WvW for the Warlords piece, that the chest, and you are good, full set of stat selectable exo armor.  Trinkets are a bit more difficult, easiest option is probably Living World Season 3, Episode 3 specifically, to get Ascended stat selectable.  As far as weapons go there are collections in HoT, PoF and EoD that offer ascended weapons(everything except a focus).  The stats might not be what you want, but I think someone mentioned that you can change the stats.  The PoF weapon collections are the best, imo, the HoT ones are rather expensive due to the Mystic Coins used, and I have not done any of the EoD ones as I do not need more weapons.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, Linken.6345 said:

The gear you get from boosting will take you through all the personal story, world exploration, dungeons ( if u find a party), every expansion and tier 1 fractals.

Fractals is also were you start to get ascended more reliably, rings to start with then accessories and in higher ones armor/weapons from the reward boxes.

Champion bags from wvw, spvp also drop ascended that actually scale with magic find. horde them and jack up mf before opening and you can get ascended boxes too.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2023 at 12:39 AM, Wereviper.4376 said:

1) Was not a mistake, using the 80 boost is fine, you can manually level any character in 24 hours at most nayway..

2) Get ascended ring, ear ring, back piece and undewater respirator from the quaggan vendor in Bitterfrost Frontier, ultra easy to farm the currency.  Get ascended amulet, ring and back piece from the vendor Bloodstone Fen map (harder to farm, but those allows the stats to be reset for a small price). Get ascended amulet, ring and ear ring from Dragonfall or Sanswept Isles, and also you can get ascended earings from the Ember's map bay. Get ascended amulet and earing from Bjora Marches. I would also advice to buy the permanent nodes in your hometown to daily farm the mats from Dragonfall, Sandswept Isles, Bloodstone Fen and maybe Ember's Bay (Bjora and Bitterfrost are so easy to farm in the maps that a hometwon node isn't needed).

3) Get the legendary amulet from the Living Story, get the legendary armor pieces from either PvP, PvE or WvW. After that, work on the legendary trinkets.

4) Weapons: get the ones for each spec from PoF, HoT or EoD (I think that there is easier in that odeder); craft the ascended ones you need, and after having the legendary armor value to either craft legendary weapons or legendary trinkets. There's tokens to exchange for ascended weapons in PvP, WvW and PvE, but I would save them first for the legendary items, then use them in weapons.

4) Stats: since trinkets of ascended quality are ultra easy to farm in those maps, you only have to worry about stats in ascended weapons and armors. Typically: power dps: berserker, condi dps: viper. Celestial is massive in some hybrid builds, is not meta in instanced content but works wonders in some "do it all" builds.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, Wereviper.4376 said:

Alternatively, if you are planning to go through the personal story missions and explore core Tyria before you get into the living seasons and expansions then you may just want to make a new character and level it the normal way. The core world/personal story isn't all that challenging anyway but doing it with a level 80 boosted character is going to feel both way too easy and very anti-climatic as virtually all rewards you get (including the story chapter rewards) will be useless to you.

So yeah, if you are interested in the core story I would create a new character, probably a different class from your first one. You can always return to your boosted character later once you are getting into the level 80 content. Having multiple characters in different classes isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106