Where have all the dungeons gone?

With characters have achieved dungeon master status, I for one would really really really like to see revamped dungeon events.  As much as I enjoy doing dungeons, there has been no effort to enhance the dungeon experiences.  Such a shame.  You would think even with all the festivals, there might be dungeons included to enhace team play.  

So this is a call to Anet to seriously review dungeon capabilities for more in-game enjoyment and challenges.

Respectfully

CJ

• Confused 4

I think Dungeons could have been a great system for really casual 5 player content to drop into the world, including or even mainly reusing slightly altered suitable Dungeon like Story instances (e.g. Fahranur, the First City) as group content, with Fractals as more hardcore 5 player content to progress through. 

Likewise with Strikes as more casual 10 player content to drop in with more accessible single Boss encounters, taken from suitable story big bads - with Raids as hardcore 10 player original content to progress through, including the environment traversal it offers. 

Unfortunately Anet dedicates so few resources to endgame/group content that they can't even properly support a single one of those, let alone two, or even all four - so they've unfortunately long been dead. 

I don't think a major Dungeon overhaul, let alone whole additions, are ever going to come.

Edited by Asum.4960

On 1/19/2023 at 1:22 AM, chatiss.3281 said:

You would think even with all the festivals, there might be dungeons included to enhace team play.

Wintersday has a dungeon and then got a strike added. Dragon bash also has a kind-of-sort-of "dungeon" arena.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

Run Fractals. They're more profitable than dungeons and better at offering team play in general.

Fractals are dead too, with only one new Fractal in two years and only a few tweaks since then. They abandoned Fractals without even filling out all the 25 levels with unique encounters.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Fractals are dead too, with only one new Fractal in two years and only a few tweaks since then. They abandoned Fractals without even filling out all the 25 levels with unique encounters.

Not getting new ones doesn't make something dead. Dead, to most people, means not run. But they're run a lot. Try listing a group if you don't believe me.  Saying something is dead because it didn't hit an arbitrary number that you think it should have isn't really a critera I'm comfortable with.

People play them regularly. They're not dead.  I believe there will probably be more fractals in the future as well, but right now the team that works on instances is concentrating on strikes. When they have those filled out, they might well design a fractal or two.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Not getting new ones doesn't make something dead. Dead, to most people, means not run. But they're run a lot. Try listing a group if you don't believe me.  Saying something is dead because it didn't hit an arbitrary number that you think it should have isn't really a critera I'm comfortable with.

People play them regularly. They're not dead.  I believe there will probably be more fractals in the future as well, but right now the team that works on instances is concentrating on strikes. When they have those filled out, they might well design a fractal or two.

I probably play instanced content more than most of the people on this forum, including running T4s+recs daily since years? You say they're concentrating on strikes, but they're dead too. The last strike was a year ago, and CMs are just rehashed content that barely change the encounters beyond extra difficulty.

Old Lion's Court isn't an entirely new strike mission, its a recycled battle from LWS1 and Nightmare CM.

I've been with this game since the beginning and at this point literally nothing has been updated in the longest time in the history of the game, even longer than the pre-HoT content draught.

Players doing content doesn't mean its "alive", it just means they have nothing else to do. Repeatable content in MMOs needs a steady stream of additions, changes and tweaks (unlike story and open-world, which work better as being static), otherwise it becomes stale and players end up playing it only for the grind rather than the experience. Fractals in particular are done entirely for gold and ascended gear.

I feel kind of bad for players who have to experience the game's current update schedule compared to 2013-2014. Its no wonder there's always talk of maintenance mode.

Please don't misunderstand. I still run dungeons very frequently on my Dungoneer, I believe in reusing content to its maximum potential (and that not doing so in the past was a mistake), I genuinely liked the addition of DRMs and I supported the return of LWS1 when many didn't.

But even I'm getting tired of ...whatever this is lately. The game is getting kind of cheap.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

The Battle for Lion's Arch is a new strike. You can say assets were reused, but it's a new strike the same way that the fractal that reuses parts of other fractals are reused.

The game isn't getting kind of cheap, it's just not aimed at the content you want to play and that's too bad. I get that. But it doesn't make content dead.  Saying I'm not satisfied is different from saying content is dead, because most people would understand dead as not being done. 

The content you claim is dead is being done.

As for the current update schedule, the game currently has a lot more to do than it did in 2014.  A LOT more.  I always have something I'm working on. The people that have done everything and are bored aren't the biggest percentage of this player base in my opinion.

You simply consumed content faster than most people, because that's how you roll. It still doesn't make content dead.

I get that you're disatisfied with the game, but it really doesn't change anything I've said.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The content you claim is dead is being done.

I agree it's being done, but that wasn't really @Mariyuuna.6508's definition of "dead." You keep trying to impose your player-end definition of "dead", while Mari (and OP) seem to have more of a development-end definition of that same term. "Dead" for them seems to be "lack of reasonable hope for future updates from the dev team."

So to reiterate: I agree that instanced content (including dungeons) is not player-dead; a lot of us are doing a lot of them, all the time. As for development-dead, I'm also a bit optimistic. Yes, ANet has a habit of just letting stuff die and trying to replace it with a new system, but I think we might still get fractal updates down the line.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Not getting new ones doesn't make something dead. Dead, to most people, means not run. But they're run a lot.

Yup, good point.

13 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I probably play instanced content more than most of the people on this forum, including running T4s+recs daily since years? You say they're concentrating on strikes, but they're dead too.

That's a hilariously distorted/misguided way to look at things and it renders a lot of games -including gw2- "completely dead". Which is not the case at all. So wrong.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I agree it's being done, but that wasn't really @Mariyuuna.6508's definition of "dead." You keep trying to impose your player-end definition of "dead", while Mari (and OP) seem to have more of a development-end definition of that same term. "Dead" for them seems to be "lack of reasonable hope for future updates from the dev team."

So to reiterate: I agree that instanced content (including dungeons) is not player-dead; a lot of us are doing a lot of them, all the time. As for development-dead, I'm also a bit optimistic. Yes, ANet has a habit of just letting stuff die and trying to replace it with a new system, but I think we might still get fractal updates down the line.

No. I'm not imposing anything. I'm simply using a word in the way it's most often used.

I'm relatively sure that if you went to 100 players and said dungeons are dead, the majority and probably vast majority would assume that they weren't run anymore.  That's what dead means to most players I know. 

At the very least the word invites people to misunderstand. And therefore it needs to be in context. When new people come along and read that fractals are dead, they might think they're not run anymore which is entirely untrue. Entirely. Using words as they're most often used isn't imposing a definition. Using words as you like while ignorning their existing usage is miscommunication. And if you're talking on a forum, why you be in favor of that?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

No. I'm not imposing anything. I'm simply using a word in the way it's most often used.

If it's not what your discussion partner is talking about, until you make clear (as you did in your post above) you're changing the terms of the discussion, that's still imposing. It doesn't matter how factually justified you are.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

At the very least the word invites people to misunderstand. And therefore it needs to be in context. When new people come along and read that fractals are dead, they might think they're not run anymore which is entirely untrue.

Which is a fair point, and one I happen to agree with. And to further refine my above point, this isn't a private discussion between individuals, but one on a public forum - using "dead" indeed connotes the commonly held definition the term, and I agree it's a poor choice on OP's part to use it. That's why I always use "abandoned" to complain about content... abandoned by the dev team.

I don't think fractals and strikes are either dead or abandoned. I'm just annoyed when people are clearly using the same term with different definitions, and don't directly address it. Forum OCD on my part, it's why I'm not here as much as I might otherwise be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/18/2023 at 5:55 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

The dungeon team disbanded about 8 years ago. 

Fractals, then raids, then strikes successively took over their spot. Dungeons are like rhe raven

Nevermore

That's not quite true. People run them when they're a daily.

• Confused 1

On 1/19/2023 at 2:22 AM, chatiss.3281 said:

With characters have achieved dungeon master status, I for one would really really really like to see revamped dungeon events.  As much as I enjoy doing dungeons, there has been no effort to enhance the dungeon experiences.  Such a shame.  You would think even with all the festivals, there might be dungeons included to enhace team play.  

So this is a call to Anet to seriously review dungeon capabilities for more in-game enjoyment and challenges.

Respectfully

CJ

Fell off the table

• Confused 3