Locked in place when attacking?

Artemis.8034

Is this something new or a bug? For the last 2 months my character is physically locked in place when performing attacks. It dont matter what class i am on I cant move unless im in between attacks. It has gotten me killed quite a bit.

Seems fixed now I reset all options and it seems normal now

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Confused 2

That hasn't happened to me (and I'm absolutely certain I'd notice if it did as I'm normally moving during combat) so it's not a universal change to the game. It must be a bug or something else happening on your end.

I'm not sure what could cause it all the time without you being able to spot the problem though.

• Thanks 1

The game option "Melee Attack Assist" will also prevent you from moving properly (or at all) while attacking, in many situations. Most likely its a hardware limitation of some kind, though, as the game switching from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 also means a different input engine is used.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The game option "Melee Attack Assist" will also prevent you from moving properly (or at all) while attacking, in many situations. Most likely its a hardware limitation of some kind, though, as the game switching from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 also means a different input engine is used.

Glad to see someone posted about this before I did.  xD

Melee Attack Assist imitates collision and can cause your character to stop moving through other characters.

• Like 1

Okay not my keyboard, checked that..thanks for the ghosting info. Melee attack assist is not on, this happens no matter what class I play or at what range. Last night on my HB standing behind the group and auto staff the boss I could not move till I dropped the target and stopped attacking. Same on all my characters I have to drop the target to move if I am in the middle of an attack. This is new for me before this started i was able to run circles around the target while attacking, now im like animation locked but in place on everything.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, PolarBear.3961 said:

Try a reset of all the options from the menu. You could have something checked on thats causig this.

Ill try it , then i will just delete and redownload the game. If that dont fix it I dont know what will. Oh i am finding some people talking about this in 2015 too or something similar, the one post that mentions they get stuck till they dodge  is what I see too. I can dodge to get moving then lock in place as soon as i restart my attacks 

15 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Ill try it , then i will just delete and redownload the game. If that dont fix it I dont know what will. Oh i am finding some people talking about this in 2015 too or something similar, the one post that mentions they get stuck till they dodge  is what I see too. I can dodge to get moving then lock in place as soon as i restart my attacks 

If you want to try something quicker than redownloading the entire game you can delete the data files in the gw2 my documents folder. Thats where your cache/local settings are stored.

• Like 1