GW2 = best game of all time????

GW2 is 1 of the best games... 1 of the best, there are others too...

GW2 has been going strong for many years and a lot of people that started when the game did, still play. Plus there are always new players coming onto the scene. There is also new content (EG: EOD) that keeps the game fresh (I hope more is being made).

All of this points to a healthy game. The numbers of players may not be up there with more recent hits (that phizzle out), but GW2 population is constant, and you will always be able to find other players to join you if you wish.

GW2... a very good game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I tend to avoid most MMO activities and just focus on the story.  Unfortunately I committed to making and completing the story with 5 characters (finished one, almost done with the second), so GW2 is pretty much the only game I'm playing now.  I might play other games in-between each character playthrough though.

But yes GW2 is a great game, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It used to be my favourite game, but it’s a shadow of its former self. It was never close to being greatest game of all time, but if I only ever had one game to play on a desert island that somehow had internet access, I would not be unhappy with just GW2

If you were stuck on a desert island the best thing about picking GW2 would be the ability to tell people you're stuck on a desert island and ask them to send help. 😄

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

For me the MMO genre winner is still Ultima Online, but that doesn't diminish the enjoyment I've gotten out of other MMOs like GW/GW2, Eve Online, WoW and SWtOR.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:33 AM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Dungeon Master was pretty cool.  My all time favorite was Neverwinter Nights.  GW2 is the only MMO that I play.  I also play Stellaris.

Stellaris is a great one! I've spent 1400+ hours with that game and even made few mods for it. I loved NwN too, and Baldur's Gate. Elder Scrolls, Witcher and Fallout series are also worth mentioning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

For me the MMO genre winner is still Ultima Online, but that doesn't diminish the enjoyment I've gotten out of other MMOs like GW/GW2, Eve Online, WoW and SWtOR.

I loved Ultima Online, number one for me. GW2 is fun but it's lacking too much. To me it looks like a PVE goldfever game, getting the money out of mini transactions (which is fine) but PVP is in a horrible bad state and RP is too limited for me. So sort of fun game if you like the pve grind. I do like the exploring here, lot's to see. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

When i started gw2 in Times where i was Not so Well, gw2 was actually the worst and the best at the Same time. I met my best Friend in this Game and a Lot of other Friends from which i have contact Till this day, at least with a few.

But it also triggerd my easily addictet mind. As i Said i was Not in the best Position in my Life so i spent hours and hours grinding away in this fantasyworld ignoring my RL. This is totally on me, but for me this makes gw2 and MMO's in General to Games i watch Out today If it is really Wörth my time.

And after my Break and starting over i must say, Till HOT was peaktime for me. This was super fun, even a Second time. But everything after this lost its Flair. That was the Point where gw2 became from Something Special, who goes it's own ways, too generic Fantasy Story and world because of the way they Deliverd the Story.

So No, gw2 ist great and will Always have a place in my Heart, but it's far from the best Game for me personally.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I personally think it is. I love everything about it.  That's not to say it's perfect but I don't have fun in other games to the same degree as I do in gw2. What other game can keep me around for 4000+ hours and I still haven't cracked 20k achievement points yet lol. While at my day job, I look forward to raiding with my static, doing fractal dailies, gearing alt builds, and doing legendary wep collections. It makes me happy 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:01 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

A lot of players in the guildwars 2 play only this game and no others. This must mean it that guildwars 2 is the greatest game of all times ,because u play this exclusivly. What do you think?? Is guildwars 2 the greatest game of all times???

I have coworkers who only play Lost Ark, so it has to be the best game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Gw2 can certainly be argued as the best game, and certainly one of the best games ever.  consider:

-First true AAA no sub MMORPG, no Pay to Win.

- Resolves most of the toxic factors in a mmorpg through innovative solutions - share nodes, shared loot in open world meta, horizontal progression, balance that works, no trinity etc.  Many features have been copied by other games

- Only AAA mmorpg that has working wvw that is performant

- (This is the biggie)  many many people with thousands of hours clocked up in game - people forget how incredible that is in comparison to any other game over the entire lifetime of the gaming industry. Consider a single player game - 100 hours is considered massive.  Bear in mind again - no sub and no pay to win.

-

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Well to be objective, I've definitely not clocked as many hours in any other game as I have in Guild Wars 2, even the original. However, I feel like that's probably partly due to adopting the original a few years into its life, because I do think the original was significantly better. Still, it's hard to argue with like 8,000 hours or whatever I've clocked at this point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/21/2023 at 11:59 AM, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

- (This is the biggie)  many many people with thousands of hours clocked up in game - people forget how incredible that is in comparison to any other game over the entire lifetime of the gaming industry. Consider a single player game - 100 hours is considered massive.  Bear in mind again - no sub and no pay to win.

But that has a lot to do with MMO mechanisms that get players to do the same stuff over and over again.

Open world single player RPGs just don't have those "hey, why don't you do this same fight dozens of times" designs.

I'm not bringing this up to judge the mechanics at this point, but "players have 10X the hours sunk into this over what are considered massive single player games" just doesn't automatically imply there is 10X the quality or even quantity there. Not when MMOs say, "Hey, you want the shiny, you're going to need to do this 10 (30, 50?) more times."

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But that has a lot to do with MMO mechanisms that get players to do the same stuff over and over again.

Open world single player RPGs just don't have those "hey, why don't you do this same fight dozens of times" designs.

I'm not bringing this up to judge the mechanics at this point, but "players have 10X the hours sunk into this over what are considered massive single player games" just doesn't automatically imply there is 10X the quality or even quantity there. Not when MMOs say, "Hey, you want the shiny, you're going to need to do this 10 (30, 50?) more times."

your missing the point, it doesn't matter what you think mmorpgs represent, the point is players are getting thousands of hours of content/pleasure out of a game.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

your missing the point, it doesn't matter what you think mmorpgs represent, the point is players are getting thousands of hours of content/pleasure out of a game.  

This might be controversal and i know peeps on this Forum don't Like this. But i Bet the majority of Players also have a abundance Numbers of hours, they did Just stuff as Gibson sayd which they did Not have fun and Just did it to get the endpleasure in Form of a skin. Like working for Money, so you can buy shiny stuff.

Not saying it's Bad. Thats how mmo's and Most Games are designed. But i don't think He is wrong with the saying that an exaggerated amount of time don't automatically imply that this time Always where a pleasure to Play. We mostly Just See it this way, because people Like to Block negative stuff, over the positive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The greatest game of all times? Roflmao - There are so many variables that I don't think any game can claim that title.

There was a time in my life when I thought Candyland was the greatest game in the whole entire world. I really did love it with all my little heart.  🥰 A few years later, it was Careers and Life that I played every chance I got. If we're talking video games, Final Fantasy VII and VIII were my favorite solo rpgs though I also loved the Shadownrun games from their SuperNintendo/Sega Genisis start to their most recent iterations, now available on Steam.

My own favorite game of all time though has to be Risk. My siblings and I played that from our teen through our early adult years and we were cutthroat about it. I still remember one of my girlfriends playing her first game of Risk with my siblings and I. At a key moment in the game I broke a non-aggression pact she and I had, wiping her off the board before going on to win the game. She was so mad at my "cheating" that she didn't speak to me for three days. 🤣 Then there was the Christmas one of my sisters brought a boyfriend home and we immediately dragged him into a Risk game and massacred him. When he kept coming back to play with us until he finally won a game, I knew he was a keeper. Sure enough, he and my sister got married and stayed together for more than 20 years, until kitten finally took him down.

Sure, GW2 is my favorite game these days and other than an occasional game of spider solitaire, it is the only game I play. Still, I think calling it the greatest game of all times is a bit much.  🙃

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

This might be controversal and i know peeps on this Forum don't Like this. But i Bet the majority of Players also have a abundance Numbers of hours, they did Just stuff as Gibson sayd which they did Not have fun and Just did it to get the endpleasure in Form of a skin. Like working for Money, so you can buy shiny stuff.

Not saying it's Bad. Thats how mmo's and Most Games are designed. But i don't think He is wrong with the saying that an exaggerated amount of time don't automatically imply that this time Always where a pleasure to Play. We mostly Just See it this way, because people Like to Block negative stuff, over the positive.

That's like arguing streetfigher games are not good because you just repeat the same thing over and over, or chess, or diablo games etc etc.  Humans play games for pleasure until they don't get pleasure anymore.  There is a very small list of games  in the history of games that people will play for thousands of hours and GW games are in that class, which is certainly an argument for being one of the best. 

MMORPG are the at the top end of RPG evolution, and that's why the greatest MMORPG are up there with the best, they represent the peak of a very important gaming genre.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Confused 1