What are your hopes for the LW6 ?

rylien.3824

Anyway I think that at best ArenaNet for the sequel will have to adopt the following format, returning to a system like the "Icebrood Saga", but with modifications :

* Maps "halved and progressive" only IF the scenario requires it and are consistent with the idea of exploration.

* Make at least 14-15 episodes in totality, dispatched over 3-4 months (have seen it they can't maintain a qualitative rate over 2 months...) which would leave them time for the extension and to develop post-End of Dragon.

* Allowing every 3-4 episodes the addition of a Raid OR a Big Strike like the Dungeons (Arah type) which were not bad, which had exploration, lore, waypoints, etc...

* Armors, backs, cosmetics as rewards

* Story.

* A new mastery (upgrading the Jade Drone for example ? I see a new mastery of the drone that helps us to do Archeology, especially for Old Kaineng and Raisu Palace, except if they transform it into "Strike type Dungeon" haha, which I wouldn't particularly mind, it would be enough to integrate maps elsewhere as well, Take example on Wildstar with the vocation of the scientist.) https://youtu.be/lmCyPXv5APY

They don't even have to create maps with combat gameplay all the time, Grothmar Valley proved it to us, and it works ! I hope they model it, because they had such a flood of lore and applied details it was really good! (Even with the front door of the strike).

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Confused 1

On 1/25/2023 at 5:05 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I think this is something player miss: Nearly all of Norn lore was covered in Bjora Marches, with a little more covered in Drizzlewood Coast for completeness. We get pretty much everything we could possibly get out of the Norn storyline in IceBrood Saga-the site of the battle with Jormag, the truth about Aegsir, the revelation about what happened to the other spirits, the conclusion of the Drakkar and Svanir storylines, the fulfillment of the Fang of the Serpent legacy, and so on.

I don't know why people think there's more to Norn lore than we've been shown. They're not a complex race, they never had big cities, even their spirits aren't gods and are shown to be kind of simple-minded themselves.

The only thing more we could've learned about is the Norn's relation to their Kodan; how they evolved, and in particular how they ended up looking like Humans instead of Kodan. Even the Sylvari don't mimic Humans as much as Norn do, and there has to be a lore reason why.

A big part of the issue is what I bolded.
The norn didn't just pop into existence with Eye of the North (well, I mean, technically they did). They have an entire history of unknown, unexplored lore.
Yes, the big plot hooks for the norn - the Fang, Jormag, Drakkar, and the Lost Spirits - were solved in Icebrood Saga. But Icebrood Saga had two massive failings when it comes to norn fans:

1. The plot that focused on the things that were explicitly tied to the norn, barely ever focused on the norn.
  2. It did not expand the norn lore in any meaningful way.

So the fact that "the norn aren't a complex race" is the very issue and why people want more norn plot. Sylvari got an immense amount of depth to them, and they literally did come into existence 23 years before the game. Norn have, technically, been existing for well over a thousand, if not up to 10,000, years. And the only pre-EotN lore we have on them is the Shrine of the Six.
They do not need big cities, and their Spirits do not need to be gods (though they are some sort of divine entities).
And I would greatly disagree that the norn are simple-minded, truth be told.

There is also the massive failing of Icebrood Saga in that Champions was a massive disappointment to many fans, for good reason, which leaves players wanting for more. Because in the end, you can have as great of a start as you want, but if the ending is kitten then most people will just remember a kitten ending.

And the same goes to the asura, who were written up in Eye of the North, but they have almost no lore written about their existence predating 1078 AE, and they have had no plot that meaningfully expanded them since the game launched in 2012. This is the main, underlying, reason why people want a storyline that delves into exploring the ancestral homes of the asura. They do not want "let us explore the Depths" storyline. What they want is a storyline that focuses and meaningfully expands the asuran lore. Rata Novus and Zinn stuff is the closest we get to that - but it's really just expanding one character (Zinn) and his antics surrounding a bunch of no-named unquantified silhouettes of characters (the Novans).

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The norn didn't just pop into existence with Eye of the North (well, I mean, technically they did). They have an entire history of unknown, unexplored lore.

• Modern humans came around 300,000 years ago.
  • Humans didn't develop language until 50,000 years ago
  • The first human civilization didn't come about until 6,000 years ago.
  • By comparison, the last dragon rise, which wiped out most life on the planet of Tyira, happened only 10,000 years ago.

We're lucky Norn exist at all, let alone at the level they're currently at. Though magically accelerated evolution, and being partially uplifted by the Spirits, may have helped. You want to know what the Norn were doing for the last 10,000 years? The same thing most other races in Tyira were doing for the last 10,000 years or so. Being tribalistic hunter-gatherers, with no real civilization, and thus little to no real history of note. Same as we see with most other races in Tyira such as the Hyleck, Quaggan, Harpies, Ogres, Ettins, Tengu(at least until recently), Giants, Grawl, etc. The Norn have the further issue of their environment. That being the Far Shiverpeaks being inherently limiting to population growth, and development, as it lacks of the needed farm-able land to support large populations.

That's really no different than the Charr. Their history, before encountering humanity, really boils down to

• Spent ages as a brutal, tribialistic, race that was constantly killing itself.
  • Khan-Ur rises, unties the tribes, and begins conquering the tribal races around them.
  • Humans come to Ascalon, and Charr fight them for a long time.
  • Present day.

According to "Ecology of the Charr" the Khan-Ur was still alive when humans came into Ascalon. He only got assassinated when they began planning the first big counter assault against humans. This would be around year 116BE. Its only 1336 AE in modern GW2. So what were the Charr doing for the like 8,500+ years between the last dragon rise, and when the Khan-Ur united them? Being a tribalistic species killing itself with inter-tribal warfare and having little to no history of note beyond "another year, another tribal murder conflict"

I'd bet the Asuran history isn't much different. Around 7,000-8,000 years with little of note. Around the times humans arrive on Tyira they reach their reach true civilization. Spend most of the next 1,500-2,000ish years reaching their peak of 6 Rata Sum sized cities. Primordus awakes and then they get pushed to the surface. The Asura's anti-social tendencies, conspiratorial nature,  and desire to work on things in isolation unless absolutely necessary, very likely means they had little in the way of inter-racial conflict on the scale of noticeable war or anything. The only annoyance they seemed to have had while underground were the Skritt, but that was more the view of pests, rather than a serious threat.

That's reality. Its only been the most recent 2% of human history that we actually accomplished much of anything. The other 98% being a lot of "very little". Even with the magically accelerated timescale of evolution GW2 has, we really wouldn't expect most Tyrian(world) civilizations to have true history going back much farther then the arrival of humans around 2,000 years ago. And given the isolated nature of most Tyrian races, even the last 2,000 years wouldn't have been that exciting for most of them until the current dragon rise.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Hello, my hopes for LWS6 are :

- adding special fish to the new zone (like some of them being bundles as in my suggestion some time ago), maybe new bait

- adding new food recipes, for example with fish and a new resource (best would be like my suggestion about leg food but i suppose it's more like xpac material)

That' pretty much all i need, to me as story is consumed in a matter of hours i don't really mind how it is. I'm more interested in the residual gameplay afterwards. Only thing i'd appreciate as story is a humorous one, like the episode wth gorrik in the cell made me laugh and it was well translated.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563

I just hope to see Dominion of Winds. 

Now what Cantha has begun opening up to the world, the Dominion of Winds may feel inclined to open up their gates to rejoin the world at large. At least one map of LW6 covering Dominion of Winds would make me happy. 

Not to mention there is no reason for Dominion to feel hostile or guarded against Tyrians anymore, since they have pitched in the effort during IBS after being helped by the Pact.

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 3

Story lines that can still be explored:

• The Domain of Winds.
  • Kirin Peak, The Jade Sea, The Turtle Highlands, Old KC + Raisu Palace.
  • The old Battle Isles.
  • The abandoned Centaur plot from IBS can still be done.
  • The Monsters from the deep pushing out the aquatic races.

I think LWS6 will focus on the rest of Cantha, possibly tying in the Domain of Winds as well, and segway into the horrors from the depths of the unending ocean which will be the focus of Expac4.

From there all the dangers pushing all the Tyrian races inward will have resolved, and we can have across a few LWS or Expacs stories about the races branching back outward to reclaim lost homes, the Centaur subplot can re-enter here. This is one way that we can resolve the lack of Norn lore and flesh out their depth of story, the Asura's lack of depth, revisit the Dwarves in the deep/help them reclaim old strongholds, see the Ash Legion homelands, resolve the Ghosts of Ascalon story, and in the end have a grand closeout expac that resolves the storyline of the gods. Personally, I want epic battles with them in their domains, but I'd be happy just with them having screen time and being able to play in their domains as really hard but rewarding maps.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

• The Domain of Winds.
  • The old Battle Isles.

I think LWS6 will focus on the rest of Cantha, possibly tying in the Domain of Winds as well, and segway into the horrors from the depths of the unending ocean which will be the focus of Expac4.

From there all the dangers pushing all the Tyrian races inward will have resolved, and we can have across a few LWS or Expacs stories about the races branching back outward to reclaim lost homes, the Centaur subplot can re-enter here. This is one way that we can resolve the lack of Norn lore and flesh out their depth of story, the Asura's lack of depth, revisit the Dwarves in the deep/help them reclaim old strongholds, see the Ash Legion homelands, resolve the Ghosts of Ascalon story, and in the end have a grand closeout expac that resolves the storyline of the gods. Personally, I want epic battles with them in their domains, but I'd be happy just with them having screen time and being able to play in their domains as really hard but rewarding maps.

I don't hope E4 is monster centric again, this time I'd prefer Human Gods, there was a rumor about Lyssa scheming somewhere in Cantha. I want to know more about the origin of humans, beyond the portal of the mists in the south that led humanity to Tyria. In addition, a monster of the depths for me does not deserve that we dwell on it, it is a monster inferior to the ancestral dragons so Aurene makes short work of it. In addition, already that the arc of the dragons was a disaster, it is not to dive back into it, really, the only mystery that we have left and while we are centered on humans, it is the Gods and their origins to us and to the gods.

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, rylien.3824 said:

I don't hope E4 is monster centric again, this time I'd prefer Human Gods, there was a rumor about Lyssa scheming somewhere in Cantha. I want to know more about the origin of humans, beyond the portal of the mists in the south that led humanity to Tyria. In addition, a monster of the depths for me does not deserve that we dwell on it, it is a monster inferior to the ancestral dragons so Aurene makes short work of it. In addition, already that the arc of the dragons was a disaster, it is not to dive back into it, really, the only mystery that we have left and while we are centered on humans, it is the Gods and their origins to us and to the gods.

It's the last big danger that is causing strife in Tyria. It needs to be addressed at somepoint. Having LWS6 flesh out Cantha, landing in the old Battle Isles is a pitch perfect setup for going to the horrors from the depths. FWIW I suspect demons of some sort. I too want to see more of the human gods and resolve that story, but that feels like what would go into the final expac of GW2. Close it out with a bang as it were.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It's the last big danger that is causing strife in Tyria. It needs to be addressed at somepoint. Having LWS6 flesh out Cantha, landing in the old Battle Isles is a pitch perfect setup for going to the horrors from the depths. FWIW I suspect demons of some sort. I too want to see more of the human gods and resolve that story, but that feels like what would go into the final expac of GW2. Close it out with a bang as it were.

This makes the most sense for how GW2 will likely go, based on how Anet has done storylines in the past, IMO.

The Risen, Purists, and Deep Sea Monster, are still active threats in Cantha that need to be dealt with. since we're already there, makes sense its LWS6.

22 hours ago, rylien.3824 said:

There was never a rumor, at least in-game, that Lyssa was messing around in Cantha. We do know Lyssa is doing something, but where is unknown.

Also, GW2 has long seemed to retcon the "humans arrived south of Cantha" lore, having them apparently first show up in Orr according to the Orrian History scrolls.

And Aurene isn't going to go flying everywhere killing big monsters for us. Shes already seen how direct interference can be bad unless absolutely necessary.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:00 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

• The Domain of Winds.
  • The old Battle Isles.

Don't forget ending the Inquest, finding Malyck and his tree, and maybe something with the Wizard Tower.

Though I don't think the Deep Sea Monster will be Xpack 4. I don't see Anet doing a mostly underwater focused Xpack when they know almost no one likes underwater combat, and when they even joked about Aurene "vetoing" underwater legendary weapons in EoD.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509

My hope over all when it comes to the Story.

1. Release of Episode 6. Hopefully old Kaineng City with undeaths and older groups of the City (from gw1). 

2. Since most new Story paths (plus re released season 1) get strikes in it. I would love to see same things just for other seasons as well. (Make the real Lazarus fight a real fight/ kill Balthasar actually hard/ kill (praise) King joko also a strike would be highly welcome). Also maybe ..... and only maybe kill Elder Dragon Zhaitan a new map. All I would love give old content more love!

3. Icebrooth (fail) Saga ..... well it feels still rushed af. So in the end maybe a new map around eye of the North for a real fight against primordus and jormag would be also decent!

Tho point 2 and 3 are just hmm hard to develop I think cause they both would need many Ressources but still they would make this game see more love and let it be in a less weird state as it actually is.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...