Race/Profession combinations in the "Reveal" image

Which are in your opinion the combinations in this image?

In my opinion they are:

• Asura Necromancer (♂️)
  • Charr Engineer (♂️)
  • Human Elementalist (♀️)
  • Human Guardian (♂️)
  • Norn Mesmer (♀️)
  • Norn Warrior (♂️)
  • Sylvari Ranger (♀️)
  • Sylvari Thief (♂️)

I'm not 100% sure about the Mesmer and the Thief (the first looks tall and has tattoos on her thigh and shoulder, the second has hair which look suspiciously like foliage). What's your opinion?

• Like 1

That thief has been bothering me for a long while. XD But yeah, I'm pretty sure he's a sylvari. If you look closely at his hair and face, the hair looks like leaves and his face has some odd carvings or protrusions that look like sylvari bark. (That and his skin and hair have a greenish tint that isn't from the ambient lighting.)

The thing that's throwing me off, though, is the elite spec reveals. With every other profession, it seems, the elite spec icons and the original profession icons are the same race and gender. For example, ranger icon is a female sylvari; Untamed, Soulbeast, and Druid are also female sylvari. Necromancer icon is a male asura; Reaper, Scourge, and Harbinger are also male asura. Thief elite specs are all male humans...soooo maybe I'm wrong about the thief icon being a sylvari dude. 😕

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Diaz Ex Machina.4195 said:

Same. That's why I have my doubts about the Mesmer too: in the Elite Specs the "model" seems more Human than Norn. All the other classes are pretty clear, but those two...

in that art the mesmer is big like the Norn Warrior, compared to the female human Ele. So clearly she Norn. 

19 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The thief is definitely a sylvari (which you can see clearer when you look at my avatar image -- green skin and green leafy hair are more easily visible than on the art you linked)

Looks more human to me tbh... also isn't the race and gender always the same for these and the elite specs images? Engi is always a male charr, ele always a female human etc. Thief seems so be always a male human

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ric.3875 said:

Looks more human to me tbh... also isn't the race and gender always the same for these and the elite specs images?

No, there are some other changes. Herald is human (or possibly norn), while core Revenant, Vindicator and Renegade are sylvari. And while artists doing different Mesmer specs clearly are portraying the same character, they are also clearly not always aware that she should be norn, not human.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Herald is human (or possibly norn), while core Revenant, Vindicator and Renegade are sylvari.

Are you sure? If you look closely at this image, you can see sylvari ears. His face and hair does look leafy/viny aswell and you can clearly see that the chest armor and boots have that vine / toxic spores look too.

Following that logic, the thief in the reveal image is indeed a human male.

Edited by Scalacious.4139
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

On the other hand, check out this concept art, namely the right side of his face.
Might need a breath of a magnifying glass magic, but there's a clear, sharp section on the guy's nose which is pointing at some ~45 degree angle downward, very reminiscent of all the random leaves and thorns protruding from sylvari faces, and another visibly different portion of the skin under his right cheekbone going towards his jaw, and another such a one running alongside this cheekbone below his right eye.

The latter could pass as some sort of scars or even wild hair, but the nose leaf does heavily suggest a member of the floral fauna, no matter the specializations' trends.

54 minutes ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

...If you look closely at this image...

That, though, is one tough customer.

Dreading to even imagine him running toward me in that bubbly male sylvari manner.

• Confused 1

Charr Engineer - male I think

Asura Necromancer - either male or female, can't say

Human Thief - male, and I think it's human because it's always been a human in the Thief reveal images and in-game (Specializations tab)

Norn Warrior - male

Human Elementalist - female 

Norn Mesmer - female

Sylvari Ranger - female

Human Guardian - male  

I don't think their concept artworks are always consistent. For example, that Revenant whose facial features and hair look sylvari-like could also be a norn or a human, given how bulky his body looks - usually sylvari look slim. The female sylvari ranger looks like a sylvari except her face which looks very human (the core ranger one, I mean - but then again she has that mask covering half of her face, so hard to tell), this was probably prior to them updating the sylvari's appearance to clearly resemble plantlike folk. 

Only charr and asura are easy to tell apart from the other races 😛 And even then it's hard to tell females and males apart, unless we can see the charr's tail. 

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

Are you sure? If you look closely at this image, you can see sylvari ears. His face and hair does look leafy/viny aswell and you can clearly see that the chest armor and boots have that vine / toxic spores look too.

This is a human male? With clearly green skin and leaves for hair? Suuure it is.

Edit: notice, that the face is indeed more human (smooth skin without the bark texture), but that's only because it was how Sylvari were initially supposed to look (which can be seen in earlier trailers). Original Ranger design also suffers from that.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

This is a human male? With clearly green skin and leaves for hair? Suuure it is.

Edit: notice, that the face is indeed more human (smooth skin without the bark texture), but that's only because it was how Sylvari were initially supposed to look (which can be seen in earlier trailers). Original Ranger design also suffers from that.

Yes he indeed looks human to me. I don't see any green skin, looks more grayish to me because it's hidden inside the shadow of his hood and the hair looks more like strains of hair than leafs... also why should thief be the only class where the race changes between the images of core and elite specializations, it just doesn't make sense

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:50 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yeah, that is indeed a human. The skin looks that way because of the lighting and the hood and the hair looks like unwashed strains of a dirty street mutt. Gives of the vibe of an actual thief with the human 'street rat' background.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

Yeah, that is indeed a human. The skin looks that way because of the lighting and the hood and the hair looks like unwashed strains of a dirty street mutt. Gives of the vibe of an actual thief with the human 'street rat' background.

I would honestly question that and say early sallad design. If we ignore the color completely, the hair is still leaf shaped with the outer parts distinctly different from the darker inner that doesnt just look like shadows. You can also see a hint of cheek markings and split lower lip.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2