Enjoying The Matchmaker?

Bunbury.8472

We Love The Matchmaker Right?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About It

• I love the matchmaker it makes the best games
    • The matchmaker can't make good games, just let me pick my team
    • Im lazy and I want the matchmaker to put good people on my team but I wouldn't pick them if I had the chance

y'all enjoyjng it?

the low pop, the huge skill disparity, the afks, the toxic salt in team chat. yo it's pretty good right? almost feels like bashing your head against a wall, unless you are doing off peak duo with minimum games and queue dodging cos' that's how you can maintain a decent rank and winrate. otherwise we are having tons and tons of fun in solo queue. right guys?

this is good right?

queueing up and getting the same guy who you've already had a bunch in a row, and yep he is afk again. that's a good time right?

we aren't frustrated with the matchmaker right? we love it. it's so fun.

the matchmaker is way more fun than playing with four friends in discord. like it is right? uhhh guyyyysss ????

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Khalisto.5780 said:

Since the othet 2 options lead to having a full team q i just had to say to i like the matchmaking

an honest fellow. I can respect this

5 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Where's the "The match maker isn't the problem. The lack of sufficient player numbers is the problem." option?

homie, we had EoD we had the steam launch, we had the CMC PvP revamp. the population is never going up. just not gonna happen. if it was actually a realistic option I would put it there.

the mode is dead, it's not coming back to strength ever. this is the pop we have to matchmake with. if the matchmaker can't do it with this pop, it doesn't work for gw2.

Edited by Bunbury.8472
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If you are at the same level after a 100game the same season on the same build you deserve your rank. If you are in the same range over multiple seasons you deserve your rank. There can be variation from one season to another but this is just how it works for any game.

After the 2020 patch I started some seasons on professions I had never played (professions, not specializations). Sometimes I just copied / pasted a build without even looking at what the traits did before 20 +games. I climbed on those builds from low ranks (silver) to decent / high ranks (gold / plat). As you climb you can see lots of variations in the gameplay, decision making. Some people can be surprisingly good at one aspect of the game (even in gold 2) but they always lack the other to be higher.

Anytime I see people blaming the matchmaker / their teammates, they are just looking for the same thing: excuses. The people going afk “because of their teammates / the matchmaker” or just insulting /focusing on their team are the reason they are not higher (edit they are the n°1 reason I can get frustrated but I do not think the matchmaker can change that). This prevents comebacks from happening or makes people tilt ensuring an unfun experience and a free loss.

There are some games where I can see that everyone on my team is behind, this means I have to make my best to win or enable them to play. There also are games where I feel like I have no impact, I am just feeding and yet we win because my allies do carry me. People do blame others for their mistakes but almost never praise them when they do succeed.

What can also frustrate me are some games with a huge composition difference. But I will never blame anyone for playing a different build as I also do play “underperforming builds”.  If they are with me, they are good enough to make it work.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Filip.7463 said:

Matchmaking is very good, it just lacks players to realise it.

Also matchmaking CAN NOT, ITS IMPOSSIBLE, to recognise the names. It can’t know there is a difference between Boyce at 1600 or random guy at same rating.

The problem with match making is the algorithm would only make sense if your team of five never changed.  It is not a good method for determining individual capability under non ideal circumstances 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, shion.2084 said:

The problem with match making is the algorithm would only make sense if your team of five never changed.  It is not a good method for determining individual capability under non ideal circumstances 

The match maker would already be fine, if it could consistently find 10 players with similar ratings.

But due to the lack of players, not only get players within all of silver matched, but silver players also get matched with gold and platinum players. Sometimes, the lack of players even causes everything from platinum down to bronze to be in the same match.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

No game has full man ranked q thats BS

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, shion.2084 said:

The algorithm was designed for things like chess.  The only equivalent in a 5 player match season would be if the five didn’t change.

Thats BS, one team would be the best over and over. To get a competitive match two best teams would need to queue at exactly same time. They wouldn’t. They would dodge each other.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Absolutely hate the matchmaker and have 0 faith in it, but compared to how this game is with full teamQ, it's bobby brilliant.

No gripe with matchmaking can compare to this:

9 hours ago, Bunbury.8472 said:

almost feels like bashing your head against a wall, unless you are doing off peak duo with minimum games and queue dodging cos' that's how you can maintain a decent rank and winrate. 

All the 'pros' do this and it's boring as kitten. Imagine them doing it with 5 people, it would be just like @Filip.7463said.

Just take the issue already present and multiply it by 5 basically.

Have you ever played; as a soloQ, an unranked match against a full 5-stack? It's boring. It's a gigantic waste of time for 10 people  that encourages giving up and minimal effort.

6 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

How is putting people in teams of 5 more ideal for determining individual capability?

Maybe it's just me but when I think 'individual', I think SoloQ. If you're going to play as a team and be ranked based on your performance as a team, it doesn't make sense for the leaderboard to rate people as individuals as it does already with DuoQ.

4 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Absolutely hate the matchmaker and have 0 faith in it, but compared to how this game is with full teamQ, it's bobby brilliant.

All the 'pros' do this and it's boring as kitten. Imagine them doing it with 5 people, it would be just like @Filip.7463said.

Have you ever played; as a soloQ, an unranked match against a full 5-stack? It's boring. It's a gigantic waste of time for 10 people  that encourages giving up and minimal effort.

How is putting people in teams of 5 more ideal for determining individual capability?

Maybe it's just me but when I think 'individual', I think SoloQ. If you're going to play as a team and be ranked based on your performance as a team, it doesn't make sense for the leaderboard to rate people as individuals as it does already with DuoQ.

eh, I'd rather get farmed by 5 stacks occasionally instead of having the insane amount of afks. at least I can play those games. but hey, back when we could Q as a team I actually utilised it so if I would face a 5 stacks it would be with one of my own.

pop is so low right now, I can literally get the same players in 5 matches in a row and they just afk. seems like there are only 100 active players at a time, and I can see why.

as far as rating goes, who cares? I'd just rather not play 3 games in a row with the same dragonhunter who just rages and goes afk. at that point why even Q up? he's deciding all the matches, no reason to even play. honestly, I wish I was being hyperbolic but at least half of the games in my last few duo sessions have been decided by afk baby rage. how are me and my duo even supposed to maintain the will to log on if half of the games are just already fixed because anet won't ban anyone, and also won't let me not play with the afk babies.

like, let's be real. competitive gw2 PvP is done. it's over. remove ranks, who cares. just have tournament gizmo, or not. as I said who cares, not me. I just want to not have to deal with toxic afk players, nothing else. I just want to you know, play the game and if anet won't moderate I can't see any option apart from selecting a team of non-baby players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

It would not determine individual capability.  It would be a reasonable algorithm to apply to a fixed team.  Have a look again at what you quoted.

The problem with match making is the algorithm would only make sense if your team of five never changed.  It is not a good method for determining individual capability under non ideal circumstances 

The algorithm is meant to be applied to the same thing to be of value.  Be it a person playing chess or a soccer team I suppose.  It is not meant to be applied to any ndividuals in the group that won and with constantly changing teams.  

Like if in chess a team of 5 people all made moves sequentially without talking to one another, and then you try to rank that… but the next match the teams all swap players.  It’s kind of absurd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bunbury.8472 said:

eh, I'd rather get farmed by 5 stacks occasionally instead of having the insane amount of afks. at least I can play those games. but hey, back when we could Q as a team I actually utilised it so if I would face a 5 stacks it would be with one of my own.

pop is so low right now, I can literally get the same players in 5 matches in a row and they just afk. seems like there are only 100 active players at a time, and I can see why.

as far as rating goes, who cares? I'd just rather not play 3 games in a row with the same dragonhunter who just rages and goes afk. at that point why even Q up? he's deciding all the matches, no reason to even play. honestly, I wish I was being hyperbolic but at least half of the games in my last few duo sessions have been decided by afk baby rage. how are me and my duo even supposed to maintain the will to log on if half of the games are just already fixed because anet won't ban anyone, and also won't let me not play with the afk babies.

like, let's be real. competitive gw2 PvP is done. it's over. remove ranks, who cares. just have tournament gizmo, or not. as I said who cares, not me. I just want to not have to deal with toxic afk players, nothing else. I just want to you know, play the game and if anet won't moderate I can't see any option apart from selecting a team of non-baby players.

U wouldnt get farmed “occasionally”. U would get farmed until you would log off or the 5man q would get bored of farming you. And no, ur 5 man stacks would never win 24/7 geeks.

Also did u think, YOU COULD WINTRADE WITH NO ONE KNOWING LOL. Thats why there is no special titles in 2v2 or 3v3 and thats the reason this is miniseason, not main season.

What if u arent 5 man, but are 4 and get one guy soloqing, that guy is better than your team and does not even want to start playing. Your forum post would be about this then.

U DONT COMPETE, LET PEOPLE WHO WANT TO. Why would they remove it? MAT is even less fun because same team usually wins it like 12 times in a row. U really think same team being best entire year would be fun if 5man q?

At the end of a day rating has meaning, because good player stuck in g2 does not exist.

Because I am very smart, I will think this for u: THEN QUEUE AS GUARD SO U WILL BE VS THAT AFKING DH! Free win right? Just don’t be sad if you will end up getting farmed by him..

Also if u dont want to compete, want 5 man and dont like ranks, there is a thing called UNRANKED.

U say u dont care, but you are just now crying on forum?

Edited by Filip.7463
  • Confused 1

LEGIT ANSWER WOULD BE: DONT ALLOW PEOPLE TO DUOQ IF THERE IS 150 OR MORE RATING DIFFERENCE.

Because now people can que like duo 1800 + 1200 player, thats 1500 average, get 3 p1 teammates and play vs 5 p1 players.

Thats fair.

Oh, forgot to mention, the “1200” player is actually 1800 but on smurf.

Edited by Filip.7463
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Filip.7463 said:

U wouldnt get farmed “occasionally”. U would get farmed until you would log off or the 5man q would get bored of farming you. And no, ur 5 man stacks would never win 24/7 geeks.

Also did u think, YOU COULD WINTRADE WITH NO ONE KNOWING LOL. Thats why there is no special titles in 2v2 or 3v3 and thats the reason this is miniseason, not main season.

What if u arent 5 man, but are 4 and get one guy soloqing, that guy is better than your team and does not even want to start playing. Your forum post would be about this then.

U DONT COMPETE, LET PEOPLE WHO WANT TO. Why would they remove it? MAT is even less fun because same team usually wins it like 12 times in a row. U really think same team being best entire year would be fun if 5man q?

At the end of a day rating has meaning, because good player stuck in g2 does not exist.

Because I am very smart, I will think this for u: THEN QUEUE AS GUARD SO U WILL BE VS THAT AFKING DH! Free win right? Just don’t be sad if you will end up getting farmed by him..

awesome, your solution is to manipulate the matchmaker, very uh, how do they say, is it 'cash-money'?

hey, maybe it would work if the DH was the only afk player I had encountered, but sadly he was just an example and not the sole afk player gw2 has to offer.

as far as the same team winning MAT all the time, yeah I already know and don't care. it's been this way for years, and doesn't matter to me at all.

as for the same players occupying the top of the leaderboard season after season, well we already have this. I'll bet that with 5 man Q it would still be the exact same players at the top of the leaderboard, maybe a few less alt accounts that's all. literally no difference at all. 5 man, solo, duo it's the same players at the top.

is there unranked? sure, but the player quality is awful and few players are even playing to win. farming noobs in unranked is only fun for a few games, shock horror I like a challenge and would relish fighting those so called geeks. sure you think we will never win, but I've taken matches off players like Vaanss when he has a had a full team in AT and I've been with my duo partner and LFG pugs with no voice coms at all. maybe with an avenue to practice we would improve as a team, and grow into those geeks you so fear.

regardless, I'd rather play the game with my team and lose than have the match decided by an afk- every- single- time.

sure, just delete unranked and give it ranked rewards so people actually play it seriously and try to win. I'll play that with no afk players on my team. I'm down. honestly if anet actually banned people so people wouldn't afk I would be totally fine with duo queue, hey but let's be real anet actually moderating PvP is as delusional as thinking the population will rise and the matchmaking will be fixed like that. won't happen.

honestly I'm a simple human. I'm just a gamer, who wants to play video game with other people who also want to play the video game.

if anet doesn't want to ban afk players or do anything for the current matchmaker I see no other solution than being able to choose my team and fix what anet refuses to myself. 

1 hour ago, Filip.7463 said:

LEGIT ANSWER WOULD BE: DONT ALLOW PEOPLE TO DUOQ IF THERE IS 150 OR MORE RATING DIFFERENCE.

Because now people can que like duo 1800 + 1200 player, thats 1500 average, get 3 p1 teammates and play vs 5 p1 players.

Thats fair.

Oh, forgot to mention, the “1200” player is actually 1800 but on smurf.

now this is a wild take. actually assuming the matchmaker has enough plat players to make a full game of two plat teams. now that's a big meme. I fight the top 10 players on all of my accounts, regardless of what rating the account is on. plat 2 I face Boyce, gold 1 yep still Boyce and the top 10. the game is so devoid of players it doesn't seem to matter what my rating is I get plat + gold + silver in my games. 

but yeah sure, go restrict duo Q and make people quit just like they did last time anet restricted it. people can quit, the pop can drop even further and the matches can get even worse. awesome solution.

people will still afk. people will still wintrade. pop will still be too tiny to make good matches. same people will be Q dodging and playing at off hours. people will still smurf. nothing will change at all except players who used to be able to duo won't be able to and will quit thus further reducing the population.

Edited by Bunbury.8472

Usually, I find afk happens if team is getting slaughtered--so rarely ever happens for me (thankfully).  I've had way more 'late starts' then just straight up afk though.  

Matchmaker is fine; I find it has mirrored comps on most of my games if it can--there are times where it is on drugs and will put like 2 rangers and 2 thieves on a team...

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

5 hours ago, Bunbury.8472 said:

You're right on all counts there i'd say. Besides this

5 hours ago, Bunbury.8472 said:

eh, I'd rather get farmed by 5 stacks occasionally instead of having the insane amount of afks.

It doesn't do well to grade evils. Whether its an afk or being outnumbered 5 to 1 as a soloq, those are both really garbage games. When I encounter either, I usually take a break from the game. Neither are fun in the least.

But nah you right on the rest there's like nobody playing, the competitive scene is all but completely dead and there's no reason to care about rating.

This is all true, but you don't have to care about any of that to play the game competitively still, even if the scene itself is dead. 

I can only speak for myself, and I probably belong to what is a very small and equally neurotic minority of people who just really appreciate the PvP combat in this game. Want to learn it, get better at it, adapt to it as it changes and then test that in a competitive setting. Its just how I play games, I am compulsively drawn to master the mechanics and to experiment with builds and test what I come up with against the hardest difficulty setting possible. In this case, that is ranked.

Can't do that reasonably or comfortably when ranked is filled with competitively unviable content like imbalanced teams and class-swapping. Tbh, I don't mind 5 stacks in general and I think that as a full team is probably how PvP should be played, were it designed well enough to sustain the population to handle it. I think they should really have a separate ranked arena & leaderboard exclusively for teams(of any size) and a second ranked arena exclusively for soloqs who do not want to go against teams of any size when they themself are just 1 person, subject to everything the average soloQ player has to deal with(random matchmaking, those afk teammates you mentioned, and a total lack of basic coordination)

Split queues. It's not a very alien concept, especially in this day and age. There are just a few dinosaurs that have yet to modernize like Overwatch and this smelly game.

6 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

It would not determine individual capability.  It would be a reasonable algorithm to apply to a fixed team.  Have a look again at what you quoted.

The problem with match making is the algorithm would only make sense if your team of five never changed.  It is not a good method for determining individual capability under non ideal circumstances 

The algorithm is meant to be applied to the same thing to be of value.  Be it a person playing chess or a soccer team I suppose.  It is not meant to be applied to any ndividuals in the group that won and with constantly changing teams.  

I think I get you better now, I appreciate you clarifying.

I thought you were saying the opposite, giving praise to how it is currently.

If i'm reading that correctly, then I agree. I think it's stupid that a group of two people can compete as a single entity and still get rated individually. It just leads to leaderboard clutter and imbalanced matchmaking since the matchmaker uses an average of the rating of a party for matchmaking when it could just rate teams and assign MMR to teams instead of each individual player on that team. With that change alone they would open up about 100+ leaderboard spots to the drooling masses and they would totally 🔩over all those top clowns who have like 20 different alts in the top 10 of players somehow.

I don't compare SoloQ the same way because the current system is already designed perfectly for SoloQ, as every circumstance for a SoloQ is a 'non-ideal circumstance.' There are unpredictable variables to consider like afk players, but in a SoloQ setting everyone is subject to these impediments equally, whereas in a merged queue(like current solo/duoq) the advantage is always with the team or DuoQ as they are able to guarantee at least 1 non-potato to their team, whereas all the SoloQs(who are expected to compete equally btw) are completely at the mercy of RNG.

Therefore SoloQ only and TeamQ only as two separate, mutually exclusive ranked arenas are the only competitively viable formula for this game, and all games to provide the best and fairest matchmaking possible. 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bunbury.8472 said:

awesome, your solution is to manipulate the matchmaker, very uh, how do they say, is it 'cash-money'?

hey, maybe it would work if the DH was the only afk player I had encountered, but sadly he was just an example and not the sole afk player gw2 has to offer.

as far as the same team winning MAT all the time, yeah I already know and don't care. it's been this way for years, and doesn't matter to me at all.

as for the same players occupying the top of the leaderboard season after season, well we already have this. I'll bet that with 5 man Q it would still be the exact same players at the top of the leaderboard, maybe a few less alt accounts that's all. literally no difference at all. 5 man, solo, duo it's the same players at the top.

is there unranked? sure, but the player quality is awful and few players are even playing to win. farming noobs in unranked is only fun for a few games, shock horror I like a challenge and would relish fighting those so called geeks. sure you think we will never win, but I've taken matches off players like Vaanss when he has a had a full team in AT and I've been with my duo partner and LFG pugs with no voice coms at all. maybe with an avenue to practice we would improve as a team, and grow into those geeks you so fear.

regardless, I'd rather play the game with my team and lose than have the match decided by an afk- every- single- time.

sure, just delete unranked and give it ranked rewards so people actually play it seriously and try to win. I'll play that with no afk players on my team. I'm down. honestly if anet actually banned people so people wouldn't afk I would be totally fine with duo queue, hey but let's be real anet actually moderating PvP is as delusional as thinking the population will rise and the matchmaking will be fixed like that. won't happen.

honestly I'm a simple human. I'm just a gamer, who wants to play video game with other people who also want to play the video game.

if anet doesn't want to ban afk players or do anything for the current matchmaker I see no other solution than being able to choose my team and fix what anet refuses to myself. 

now this is a wild take. actually assuming the matchmaker has enough plat players to make a full game of two plat teams. now that's a big meme. I fight the top 10 players on all of my accounts, regardless of what rating the account is on. plat 2 I face Boyce, gold 1 yep still Boyce and the top 10. the game is so devoid of players it doesn't seem to matter what my rating is I get plat + gold + silver in my games. 

but yeah sure, go restrict duo Q and make people quit just like they did last time anet restricted it. people can quit, the pop can drop even further and the matches can get even worse. awesome solution.

people will still afk. people will still wintrade. pop will still be too tiny to make good matches. same people will be Q dodging and playing at off hours. people will still smurf. nothing will change at all except players who used to be able to duo won't be able to and will quit thus further reducing the population.

You are actually degenerate. I have no more words to waste on you.

First of all it’s MATCHMAKING because its an ALGORITHM, NOT A PERSON “MATCMAKER” LOL, it even gets underlined as misspelling.

Second, u do care so much that you brag on forum about winning some not-considered-as-best guys? Do you really think they are using voice and tryhard for 25 golds reward?

Third, u are not p2. How do you wueue vs Boyce on EU if u are farming Vaanss on NA. Boyce is p2 atm - should he wear some special collar in matchmaking?

Last of all, i would also afk with u

Edited by Filip.7463

I love to get matched with the same trolls every time while against 1 virtuoso and 2 cat every time, its really amazing.

Just take a look on the diversity of choices of our great competitors, only unique and original builds, and of course the matchmaking is working perfectly since you all can see a druid in another team!

https://imgur.com/PtEVQay

Seriously, i'm uninstalling this kitten after getting enough coins for the legendary armor.

Edited by Peter.3901
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1