when you hit 80 stay in core traits or start elite trait?

It is generally it is recommended that you remain on your core build until you have enough hero points to get all of the required traits and abilities for your elite spec's build. Then it is generally a good idea to equip that if you want to get a second because it will help for harder hero points. Also don't equip it immediately after you get enough points because your gear may be off.

You can equip it before you have enough points for the elite spec professional skill change, but you will be at a disadvantage because you lack the benefits of the traits.

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Like 3

If you unlock a new elite spec, then you are able to use it. However you are only able to use the traits that you have unlocked. So basically you are not using the new elite spec, but only a part of it.

I suggest that you wait using the new elite spec till you completed it.

Edited by GODh.3892
typos
  • Like 3

I wait until I've got enough of the elite spec unlocked that it's usable. Not necessarily everything, but at least enough to have a trait in each slot and the skills I most want to use. Otherwise you can't really use the new elite and you're weaker than using all core specs because you'll be missing traits.

I might equip it before then to try things out and see how they work, but I wouldn't try to actually play it.

• Like 2

While I agree with those saying wait until you can access the traits, I tend to start it early. This is only for the fact that it opens up the achievement (this gives you the weapon). So while I'm getting more hero points I can check things off like "kill X boss" or "Complete Y Zone as a (Class)" While it's not necessary I find it fun to have those extra objectives as I collect enough points.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I believe that the first 3 traits you unlock are the top three of the elite specs traits. Meaning that you can equip before finishing but you will not be able to access most of the utility skills and your elite skill.

I have done this for collecting HPs in POF maps but generally stay away from HOT maps when doing it.

On 1/23/2023 at 5:12 AM, asket.5674 said:

Or do it like me, play ele, put your first 10 points into Weaver and play HoT with an empty elite spec 😅 

i cursed a lot, but liked the challenge tho.

Try playing arcane trait line with mixed rare gear in any Hot map and you get the same experience. Fun times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

I believe that the first 3 traits you unlock are the top three of the elite specs traits. Meaning that you can equip before finishing but you will not be able to access most of the utility skills and your elite skill.

I have done this for collecting HPs in POF maps but generally stay away from HOT maps when doing it.

Try playing arcane trait line with mixed rare gear in any Hot map and you get the same experience. Fun times.

it is not unless they changed it you unlock minor then first 3 in first row and so on so you would have to be about 75% complete to be able to use the first trait in the last line.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

it is not unless they changed it you unlock minor then first 3 in first row and so on so you would have to be about 75% complete to be able to use the first trait in the last line.

I think they changed it for Eod specs I could be wrong tho

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

One thing to keep in mind: It is possible to fully unlock an elite spec with Central Tyria map completion, without even getting into the expansion content, if you want to avoid spoilers. Its just very slow.

Another tip is if you have some testimonies from wvw , you can go to a merchant (in wvw map) who can sell you hero points from  random maps in each extension (10 pts of skill from expension and 1 from core) , it cost 10 or 1 of them and actually also help you complete the map by rewarding you those points , as some of them guarded by a champion or difficult to access without some masteries can be hard to find or do.

Edited by zeyeti.8347