Change in Community Behavior Lately?

I've been playing for about half a year now after returning and the community has been super nice and wholesome for the most part and only rarely had anyone that acted out in a severely negative way. The worst things to deal with outside of the occasional rude player or idiot was some portal troll or something which isn't even a big deal. Recently, however, it seems every day joining fractals I've been met with the most vile kinds of people acting so mighty on people and getting mad if they aren't playing perfectly or using pots for normal dailies or whatever it is. I had a group yesterday advertising normal T4s run push CM and get mad when we didn't pull it off first try when suddenly asked to do CM when the post was just normal dailies. Another posted for DPS and then got upset that the DPS they got wasn't Alac DPS when they asked just for DPS. People are getting angry over such small things now and the community used to be so nice and forgiving. Is this a common thing that it comes and goes with the festivals or are people just so much more jaded suddenly and acting mightier than thou? 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

I had a group yesterday advertising normal T4s run push CM and get mad when we didn't pull it off first try when suddenly asked to do CM when the post was just normal dailies

but did you look at who was doing what?

You can tell who actually placed the ad from the in game message. "XXXX has ended the search blah blah blah"

15 minutes ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

People are getting angry over such small things now and the community used to be so nice and forgiving. Is this a common thing that it comes and goes with the festivals or are people just so much more jaded suddenly and acting mightier than thou? 

It has literally been years since I did PUG fractals yet nothing you described is new or particularly surprising. The statement "there are people who are not nice" should be be surprising or controversial to anyone.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

It has literally been years since I did PUG fractals yet nothing you described is new or particularly surprising. The statement "there are people who are not nice" should be be surprising or controversial to anyone.

It's not that people like that exist, it's that it's more commonplace. That was the entire point of my post if you read it I mentioned it being a thing before as well, but the toxic levels feel much higher lately.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

16 minutes ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

It's not that people like that exist, it's that it's more commonplace. That was the entire point of my post if you read it I mentioned it being a thing before as well, but the toxic levels feel much higher lately.

So how many times did this actually occur? Your post only mentions 2. That is a tiny sample not a trend. Although people trying to make the tiniest sample as support for a trend is also not new.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 7
  • Confused 8

2 hours ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

I've been playing for about half a year now after returning and the community has been super nice and wholesome for the most part and only rarely had anyone that acted out in a severely negative way. The worst things to deal with outside of the occasional rude player or idiot was some portal troll or something which isn't even a big deal. Recently, however, it seems every day joining fractals I've been met with the most vile kinds of people acting so mighty on people and getting mad if they aren't playing perfectly or using pots for normal dailies or whatever it is. I had a group yesterday advertising normal T4s run push CM and get mad when we didn't pull it off first try when suddenly asked to do CM when the post was just normal dailies. Another posted for DPS and then got upset that the DPS they got wasn't Alac DPS when they asked just for DPS. People are getting angry over such small things now and the community used to be so nice and forgiving. Is this a common thing that it comes and goes with the festivals or are people just so much more jaded suddenly and acting mightier than thou? 

Maybe they are refugees from Lost Ark... they are so toxic there with a lot of gatekeeping dungeons/raids. 

If you dont have the right gear you wont be included.

If you dont use a particular potion, you are yelled at.

If you dont do what they expect you to do, you are yelled at and booted from the dungeon/raid.

Yup... it sounds like you have some Lost Ark refugees.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

They're refugees from other games, mostly World of Warcraft, after the events of the last year.

Lost Ark has plenty of disgruntled gamers needing another game to call home.

The Lost Ark forums are full of VERY unhappy people and it will only get worse.

I needed somewhere else to go after playing Lost Ark (I still dabble a little), and someone told me about GW2, so I tried it... I havent looked back. The other players are helpful, rarely a nasty/spiteful word said. 

GW2 has a welcoming community, and the game company itself values its customers.

I LOVE GW2...

Edited by Lanfear De Noir.9127
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

So how many times did this actually occur? Your post only mentions 2. That is a tiny sample not a trend. Although people trying to make the tiniest sample as support for a trend is also not new.

Did you want me to list every negative interaction I've ever had? I gave a few examples of things that happened so it's understood what kind of people I am referring to. Not sure how listing out a bunch of slightly different versions of those interactions would help as I stated it's more than it was before. I had many many many groups over the time I played and very few were bad. Recently the amount I encountered surpasses the entirety of the interactions in previous months of playing. That alone is quite telling. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I've been playing GW2 for ten years, OP, and in my personal experience the overall quality of the general community has changed very little over that time. But there have always been bad actors amongst what has otherwise been fairly friendly community and you may have had some particular bad luck lately, plus what a few others have said about transplants from that Lost Ark game (am always curious what happened to these games that causes people to migrate over to GW2, doesn't seem like Lost Ark was out that long).

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

This was expected when the game was released on Steam.

Releasing a game to a large number of people that don't wanna play games unless they are on that specific platform, this was bound to happen. The number of toxic players will keep rising from now on due to so many people having "access" to the game through Steam.

Some will say that it's not due to Steam, but let's be honest, Steam is a monopoly platform, most PC gamers are there, including the toxic ones. And since many people are like "I won't play games unless they're on Steam", the number of toxic people wasn't so high until now.

The more people there are, the more chances are to meet someone who has huge ego and is rude to other players. I don't like it, many of us don't like it, but Steam release already happened. It is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Steam did bring in a large flux of new players and this comes with disadvantages on both ends. On one end you have new players trying to learn the content, on the other end you have the establish players who are having to deal with the new players joining content they know nothing about. I'm all for helping new players learn the ropes etc but when you go into lfg looking for experienced people and get people who fail on simple things or make lots of mistakes it is very draining. I feel that a lot of the toxicity has developed from this. Think it's hard to find balance between what should be expected and what to be more lenient about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Dibit.6259 said:

Steam did bring in a large flux of new players and this comes with disadvantages on both ends. On one end you have new players trying to learn the content, on the other end you have the establish players who are having to deal with the new players joining content they know nothing about. I'm all for helping new players learn the ropes etc but when you go into lfg looking for experienced people and get people who fail on simple things or make lots of mistakes it is very draining. I feel that a lot of the toxicity has developed from this. Think it's hard to find balance between what should be expected and what to be more lenient about.

What doesn't help is the new player boosting to 80 just to get to end game content without fully understanding the mechanics of their profession of the game in general.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What doesn't help is the new player boosting to 80 just to get to end game content without fully understanding the mechanics of their profession of the game in general.

This game is more complicated than people think. I myself didn't actually get into builds, end game group content and using the practise golem until just over a year ago and I had played the game for about 3-4 years by then. The information and resources are out there but I don't think many know it exists let along where to look for it (Google search is a good start though 😅)

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

As other people have said I don't think this is entirely new. The first time I saw someone making unreasonable demands for joining a group was the first Halloween, back in 2012 when the game was a month old. It's happened in one way or another since then, including a long period when it wasn't uncommon for me to join a group on my ranger and get kicked before I could say "I'm going to swap characters" just because I was playing a ranger.

There's always been people like that around and there probably always will be. As long as it's possible to find groups without them I don't think it's a big problem.

It might be more common now because there has been a big influx of new players over the past year or so, including a lot who's primary reason was wanting to quit another MMO because of issues with that game (rather than deciding they prefer GW2) so they may well be hoping or expecting to keep doing things the way they always have.

But we've always said the game design is a big part of why the community in this game is generally quite friendly and helpful (or at least not antagonistic), because it encourages you to play that way. Which means if they stick around they'll learn and get used to how GW2 works. If they don't like it they probably won't stick around.

In the meantime I think the best thing to do is look for groups who do fit how you want to play (or start your own) and if one isn't a good fit leave and find another. Or if you're feeling up to it explain calmly what they're doing wrong and why it's unnecessary or a bad idea so they can learn faster.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Use this advice very carefull as it can also backfire.
Often this bad attitude in pug's come from one rather dominant and expressive player (if it is a true pug, if there are members from the same guild, it is different). I had one occasion that this happened and I just started a silent kick for the aggressive player and got the backing within a few seconds. Then the reliefs in the chat started that people where thankfull he was gone. The person started pm-ing party members so I took it on me to explain to him why I took those steps. At first it was pretty vile, but after exchanging arguments it calmed down. The person is still playing the game and I've seen him in pugs with a different attitude since then.

I'm not saying that it is ok to kick people and when doing so, it can easily backfire and resulting in you being kicked, but it does help to speak out and act against it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

It's not just your imagination, OP, people are observably grumpier and quicker to snap than they used to be. Of course, I have found this to be true in virtually every corner of life, steadily increasing over the past 10 years. Bad apples? Always a thing. Bad bushels and increasing societal tolerance for negative behaviors? More common now - and that's the difference.

14 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Society is degrading

This is a deceptively simple comment, but it's honestly what's happening at the moment.

People are losing their ability to interact/communicate, exercise patience and critical thinking, and make the basic effort to get along and understand one another. It's a 'beyond video games' kind of issue, but it does wind up affecting GW2 to some degree as well. It's a bummer whenever you run into it head on, but the best thing you can do is try not to be part of the problem, put in the work to support the people around you, and hope that society improves with time.

Keep grouping and using LFG, keep doing stuff you enjoy, communicate openly with the people you play with; that's how you move the needle.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I've been playing GW2 for ten years, OP, and in my personal experience the overall quality of the general community has changed very little over that time. But there have always been bad actors amongst what has otherwise been fairly friendly community and you may have had some particular bad luck lately, plus what a few others have said about transplants from that Lost Ark game (am always curious what happened to these games that causes people to migrate over to GW2, doesn't seem like Lost Ark was out that long).

I agree. Just an example, the other day I completely messed up in a strike, it can happens, and people were really understanding.

I had a bad experience just once last months, a person without any reason was acting like sergeant Hartman...in a dungeon! I mean, it can happen but it's rare imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Might be confirmation bias, but I have noticed differences when a holiday event is on. It tends to mean that people have more calls on their time both in and out of game, so there are likely to be less people in the regular group content, and those who are might be less patient because they have more things they want to do in what may be limited time.

• Confused 2

16 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Society is degrading

Society is not degrading.  There is just an increasing awareness of the bottom of society.  Any period of history in any part of the world will reveal the consistency of human malevolence.  Overall, society is actually improving; we've come a long way, even though we have much further to go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4