Change in Community Behavior Lately?

48 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not recent. It's been present for years, OP just was lucky to not see it before.

Sure, it was always there, but you didn't have to see it much except in specific areas. Its never been this blatant and public in the game, and on the forum too as of late. These days alot of players posting here act like they just came out of the PvP subforum regardless of the topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not recent. It's been present for years, OP just was lucky to not see it before.

I saw it but I didn't see it so rampant that's why I made the post. The community in GW2 has been far better than any experience with MMO communities in the past, which is why the small amount of toxic suddenly feeling more like normal MMO levels was a shocking sight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

9 minutes ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

I saw it but I didn't see it so rampant that's why I made the post. The community in GW2 has been far better than any experience with MMO communities in the past, which is why the small amount of toxic suddenly feeling more like normal MMO levels was a shocking sight.

I'm pugging quite a bit and I don't see that rampant toxicity you're talking about. You seem to just happen to stumble onto some edge cases (normal t4 daily run suddenly going for cms and getting mad about it? Someone listing for dps and getting angry about not being adps? Maybe you misread? Or maybe they were convinced they listed adps but made a mistake and didn't realise it subsequently blaming the mistake on you?) and now you somehow think it's widespread. I don't think it is widespread at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

I have a similar problem but it's not elitism, it's getting people who come into my groups not bothering to read the LFG requirements, pretending to be DPS/tank/support while not providing any buffs as support, failing to hold aggro/block the right attacks as tank, and doing less DPS than the actual support.  Then they get angry about being removed as if they're entitled to wasting my and the rest of the party's time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm pugging quite a bit and I don't see that rampant toxicity you're talking about. You seem to just happen to stumble onto some edge cases (normal t4 daily run suddenly going for cms and getting mad about it? Someone listing for dps and getting angry about not being adps? Maybe you misread? Or maybe they were convinced they listed adps but made a mistake and didn't realise it subsequently blaming the mistake on you?) and now you somehow think it's widespread. I don't think it is widespread at all.

"I don't see it so it must not happen" is a weird stance. I gave examples but things similar to that have happened. If I had 100 encounters before and 1 was bad and now 100 encounters I have 40 bad ones that's a rampant growth. Even if it's RNG if I get an kitten or not, the fact that it comes up THAT much more often is a bit alarming, no?

Other MMO transplants and the festival time theories in here make sense. Steam userbase being the issue is weird because it's not like Steam is a cesspool of gamers, it's just a bigger market of the same odds of people. It's the same kind of influx of players that something like a new expansion would bring.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

43 minutes ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

"I don't see it so it must not happen" is a weird stance. I gave examples but things similar to that have happened. If I had 100 encounters before and 1 was bad and now 100 encounters I have 40 bad ones that's a rampant growth. Even if it's RNG if I get an kitten or not, the fact that it comes up THAT much more often is a bit alarming, no?

Other MMO transplants and the festival time theories in here make sense. Steam userbase being the issue is weird because it's not like Steam is a cesspool of gamers, it's just a bigger market of the same odds of people. It's the same kind of influx of players that something like a new expansion would bring.

That's not what I said. I didn't say what you wrote doesn't happen -I said it looks like you were unlucky enough to get into those edge cases. Don't try to sweep it up into some sort of refusal to believe this happens at all. I have no doubt things like that always happened and will happen because humans are humans (if only in regards to what I wrote in the previous post: Someone listing for dps and getting angry about not being adps? Maybe you misread? Or maybe they were convinced they listed adps but made a mistake and didn't realise it subsequently blaming the mistake on you?). What I said is that I keep pugging and in vast majority of groups  I don't see it, so I doubt it's anywhere as rampant or widespread as you try to claim it is.

And yes, for me it's still definitely rather "1 in 100" than "40 in 100".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

This too is also not recent.

At least in the past you could halfway discuss quality of life changes to the game. These days if anyone makes a topic about QoL all the replies are just immediately "no", even when its a good idea that would help alot of people.

Every other post from the forum moderators lately are "please stop making personal attacks".

Players just seem so bitter now, even angry at times. Its weird to me because its the antithesis of what this community has always been about, which is caring about other players above all else. I know we always had our bad apples, but lately it really feels like there's alot of refugees from other dying games because the mentalities I see becoming rampant both here and in-game perfectly reflect my experiences in those communities before leaving them.

Also, I urge any veteran to please go back and look at what their posts were like 2-3 years ago. If you find a significant difference in how you talk now compared to then, it may be time to think about it.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

9 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

At least in the past you could halfway discuss quality of life changes to the game. These days if anyone makes a topic about QoL all the replies are just immediately "no", even when its a good idea that would help alot of people.

Every other post from the forum moderators lately are "please stop making personal attacks".

Players just seem so bitter now, even angry at times. Its weird to me because its the antithesis of what this community has always been about, which is caring about other players above all else. I know we always had our bad apples, but lately it really feels like there's alot of refugees from other dying games because the mentalities I see becoming rampant both here and in-game perfectly reflect my experiences in those communities before leaving them.

Also, I urge any veteran to please go back and look at what their posts were like 2-3 years ago. If you find a significant difference in how you talk now compared to then, it may be time to think about it.

The actual good ideas dont get shot down you just dont notice it because sadly it is 1 out of 10.000 that actualy have any worth.

• Like 9
  • Confused 7

4 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

I have a similar problem but it's not elitism, it's getting people who come into my groups not bothering to read the LFG requirements, pretending to be DPS/tank/support while not providing any buffs as support, failing to hold aggro/block the right attacks as tank, and doing less DPS than the actual support.  Then they get angry about being removed as if they're entitled to wasting my and the rest of the party's time.

Create an auto-lfg in the tranning section (like other mmos) , and magicaly you wont see them ever again !!!

The expiriance tab can stay as it is , or even put an official KP-LI mechanics to prevent the other people

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 10

45 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Create an auto-lfg in the tranning section (like other mmos) , and magicaly you wont see them ever again !!!

The expiriance tab can stay as it is , or even put an official KP-LI mechanics to prevent the other people

Oh yes you will, auto lfg exist for daily strike and you still get the people in regular lfg squads mate.

So what is your next reason for Anet to implement it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

You don't seem to get what I said there, and I'm not going to bother explaining it.  I mean no disrespect by this, but I think whatever I write will get lost in translation, literally. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The quality of the product/game we partake in has deteriorated over the past 2 years and that has left some feeling salty about it I am sure. IBS was rushed to a conclusion, EoD was rushed to launch (with less content/features than HoT and PoF), profession balance has been a constant work in progress for years, and all along we find out that the developers do like some professions and do hate others and have tweaked the professions accordingly.  Alliances when? PvP anything when?  

how many items are on the list of failures from Anet and NCSoft over the past 3 years and what are the wins?  I don’t doubt that some players are salty, but I do doubt they are in game playing anymore. They are on the forums waiting for Anet to invest into the game in a positive way, or waiting for Anet to put the final nail in the coffin. 

I may be cynical but I doubt we actually see the next expansion. 

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I've been playing since beta GW1. I haven't noticed a particular change in the community over that time. It's pretty much better than a number of other MMOs in general. That said, a lot of ppl's impressions can be skewed depending on what happened to them in particular. Many of us beef and moan about the various RNGs IG...well, the ppl any one player will interact with are sort of like a human RNG (unless you're with guildies or know the other players in your group). Example: many folx complain about GW2s snobby and pissy raid community. How much of that is because of human RNG related to the PUG or other group that that particular player interacts with. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I finally decided I was going to try raiding. I kept an open mind about who I was going to meet. Bear in mind, I'm a pretty casual player...even worse for me, I was playing my ele. I went to the Aerodrome and joined a PUG with some other beginners who were also wanting to try raiding. Out of nowhere, a really friendly, helpful guy joined our squad. He asked how many of us were new to raiding. Most of us were. So he called on some of his guildies, all experienced raiders to join us, patiently explained the mechanics of Vale Guardian and we started out. Most of us noobs figured we'd be happy just being introduced to how to raid. What we got from these great guys was a full W1 clear with patience and explanations.

So my impression of the raiding community will be different than others. My overall point is that in a community as large as GW2 there are all kinds of people. In my experience in GW2, more of those ppl are decent and fun to game with than not...key words here: In My Experience. How did that old acronym go again...oh yeah...YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Sorry to hear! I recommend searching for training raid guild wars 2  Guild Discord Channels like XL, MOO, Part Time Paladins, Lost Dragon Alliance. These channels on Discord run training raids and we are never hard on anyone. Here are the links below:

XL Guild https://discord.gg/EufFZbV9 

Part Time Paladins https://discord.gg/kMeFyBdp

Invites are disabled for the other two but if you can find someone witih a Lost Dragon Alliance tag LDA or MOO tag and join one of our raids and do ok we usually invite you to the guild. Or you can ask for an invite or just get to know the other guilds. Goodluck to you. If you ever want to add me as friend add realmjumper.8424 in game name is Erlun Level 80 Berseker Warrior

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

You don't seem to get what I said there, and I'm not going to bother explaining it.  I mean no disrespect by this, but I think whatever I write will get lost in translation, literally. 

I have seen the same answers in reddit " toxic are the people that join groups they don't meet the criteria to or dont know anything and then whine about getting kicked".

Some1 should step up and say " I'M SPARTACUS ONE OF THOSE PLAYERS AND I WANT THIS BICKERING TO STOP AND IMPLANT AN LI-KP SYSTEM IN EXPIRIANCE TAB AND LOCK ME UP IN A AUTO-LFG IN THE TRAINNING SECTION (the worst punishment of all!) !!!

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Oh yes you will, auto lfg exist for daily strike and you still get the people in regular lfg squads mate.

So what is your next reason for Anet to implement it.

Spoiler

I dont see why not , mister Raider . The more options the better .Use any means , maximize the profits.

As you are saying people are ok with the 2 systems . And casuals can use the expirianced group LFG to advertise their "Casual Groups" , or join Trannining /Regullar Guilds , or we even keep the 2 current LFG tabs and implant a simple PvP button without roles for the easy modes.

Edit:Or create skins /longterm lege armor(or combo of armors or different invisble colored gems) that can be gained by various modes (jumping puzzle) and that will be MMR matchmaking  + you need to play 50 hours to unlock this auto-lfg (new account afk in on spot: P) +An invisible pet that attacks you every 10 sec , but if you have used 3x spells in that period doesnt hurt you//your spells stack and the pet keep attacking even while you are dead ..so dont die"accindentally imidiatly" while not having much MMR (skins , prefered to afk) ,  +Bannng sellers like other games(WoW + FF14) wouldn't hurt in either way

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 9

Hmm can't relate tbh. I usually just do t4/cms with pugs and everything is chill and not toxic at all. I guess if people start failing thats when the frustration arises. But in higher KP groups everything is smooth and chill, since every1 is experienced. Plus every1 can just swap to any role usually. Be it alacdps or quickheal. If someone asks me to go alacdps i dont get offended by that, i just do it for the sake of the team. Can't see anything wrong with that. But that also happens veeeery rarely. If ppl asked for DPS then 99% of the time you will be DPS.

Edited by Carnifex.3275
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

The actual good ideas dont get shot down you just dont notice it because sadly it is 1 out of 10.000 that actualy have any worth.

Sure, a lot of ideas supplied recently aren't actually very good, and for the most part community can agree about it. It doesn't really work in the other direction, though - actually having most players on this forum agree on what is a good idea is far from easy. And all it takes is few vocal players and expert "forum pvpers" to turn even threads about decent ideas into pages upon pages of posts full of snide remarks, personal attacks, derails, and outright toxicity. And every veteran poster remaining is partially responsible for that, because at this point, even if you have good intentions and are actually interested in debating about what is good for the game (instead of just going into full-on attacks against people that dare to say something you dislike), most of other active posters aren't. So, you end up either mired up in that kitten yourself, or giving up on posting at all (with predictable results on overall quality of posts).

So, in short, while a lot of ideas are bad, there's still way more than just "1 out of 10 000" good ones. There's however also enough posters that are so threatened by where some of those ideas might be going (or where they think those ideas might be going) that they are willing to kill any discussion about them at any costs.

Ironically, this thread is a very good example of this. Someone speaks about toxicity they personally witnessed, and some people think it's somehow an attack on them (and/or the ideas/communities they identify with), so they immediately start counterattacking. As if them denying that toxicity does exist could make it go away (instead of them just proving that attitudes in this game are a problem)

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Ironically, this thread is a very good example of this. Someone speaks about toxicity they personally witnessed, and some people think it's somehow an attack on them (and/or the ideas/communities they identify with), so they immediately start counterattacking. As if them denying that toxicity does exist could make it go away (instead of them just proving that attitudes in this game are a problem)

I'm sorry but there's nothing ironic in this.

Someone has a handful of experiences, even though thousands if not tens of thousands of experiences occur every day. The data set provided by the person providing their annecdotal experience is no better or worse than anyone else providing their annecdotal experience. There is absolutely value in pointing out that not enough data points doesn't make a fact.

But the OP asks the question if there's a change in the community's behavior lately.  Without a very large sample size, it's a question that can't be answered at all. Making the assumption you can with the tiny sample size we've seen here is just providing bad information to people. It's no better than a guess, not even an educated guess, since an educated guess would point out the small sample size.

I think the community has changed to some degree as more people because more and more familiar with fractals and do them more and more so they want to get them done faster. Some of those people will be less patient with people who don't know them as well.  But that might be offset by newer players coming in or players starting later that don't do that.

I used to run fractals a lot more than I do now. When I was running them I was pretty patient most of the time, at least I think I was.  But I could have a bad day and someone could run with me that day and then from that interaction draw the conclusion that I'm not a good person to run fractals with, even if I had a good month behind me before that bad day.

It's just an unanswerable question that we can discuss endlessly that accomplishes nothing, either positive or negative.

The OP is looking for confirmation of something no one can confirm or deny.  I don't see the value in the conversation either way. It's not ironic to say so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Nothing changed at all. Community consists of people. Just like in any other community there are different people. Some of them can have a bad day and it doesnt necessary means that suddenly the community went "toxic". The question is absurd "ah something bad happened to me 2 times, so it must be the community changing". No, its not. You just had a bad luck. Thats it, move along and enjoy the game. 

Like the guy above me said to get a conclusion on change of community you need a far larger extract of statistics. Otherwise its just "thing that happened to you". 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I wonder which posts exactly you're viewing as made by people "thinking it's somehow an attack on them". Or is your take here really based on that "start counterattacking" perception, which is nothing more than a sensationalized way to paint any disagreement as inherently negative/ill-intended? If that's the case, I find it rather weird that for some people it seems to be the choice between "you either agree with OP or it will mean you take it personally so you're counterattacking". If that's not the case... which of the posts somehow told you people felt attacked by what OP said? I just don't really see it.

Mind that I'm asking that not because I somehow felt attacked by what you said, but because I don't see the posts you're talking about in this thread and would like to know if it's "just typing stuff whether it's true or not" or maybe I'm really missing something significant from the responses in this thread.

e: welp, the lack of specifics should be enough to tell which option it was.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, soulknight.9620 said:

"ah something bad happened to me 2 times, so it must be the community changing".

Not sure how many times I have to state that it wasn't just two times, but it keeps being brought up like that's what I said. Pointless to keep stating things if nobody bothers to read them.

3 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The OP is looking for confirmation of something no one can confirm or deny.  I don't see the value in the conversation either way. It's not ironic to say so.

I asked if multiple people experienced a flow of ups and downs all at once or if it's just randomly bad RNG I got paired up with a TON of kitten rude people all at once suddenly. If multiple people also encountered a huge uptick in toxic behaviors, that would be interesting to know.

Edited by KawsMeCal.5923
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

9 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

The quality of the product/game we partake in has deteriorated over the past 2 years and that has left some feeling salty about it I am sure. IBS was rushed to a conclusion, EoD was rushed to launch (with less content/features than HoT and PoF), profession balance has been a constant work in progress for years, and all along we find out that the developers do like some professions and do hate others and have tweaked the professions accordingly.  Alliances when? PvP anything when?  

how many items are on the list of failures from Anet and NCSoft over the past 3 years and what are the wins?  I don’t doubt that some players are salty, but I do doubt they are in game playing anymore. They are on the forums waiting for Anet to invest into the game in a positive way, or waiting for Anet to put the final nail in the coffin. 

I may be cynical but I doubt we actually see the next expansion. 

You know I've been thinking about the points you've made here and I think a lot of it makes sense. Gw2 has been moving fast last couple of years, particularly with eod and steam release.

A lot of people got attracted to the game. As far as I can remember anet haven't really had broad advertisement like other games ( I myself got recommended by a friend) so to go on steam probably gave the game a boost to its presence. However this may have come with more pressure and ambition. They're probably trying to provide more content due to the fact they have to entertain and entice more players/customers. 

I however think this has also made some people more greedy and entitled (Another behaviour been seeing more often lately). People expect things and sometimes to get them easily, whether they are a casual or pro player. Like in terms of fractals "elitists" think they should be able to get them down quickly with no mistakes, so get angry and/or rage quit when they come across players who aren't at the same skill level as they are, even if they are decent players. Where as "casuals" expect to get things easily without putting in effort ( examples such as skyscale grind or DE meta). Of course this is no everyone but they tend to be the loudest 😄

Think the main thing to remember is that this is a multi-player online game so there's always a risk of coming across different types of people. Just need to try not to take it too seriously and continue enjoying the game in your own way. Don't let a few bad eggs ruin the fun, just have a laugh about it and move on 👍

Edited by Dibit.6259
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/25/2023 at 5:53 PM, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

I've been playing for about half a year now after returning and the community has been super nice and wholesome for the most part and only rarely had anyone that acted out in a severely negative way. The worst things to deal with outside of the occasional rude player or idiot was some portal troll or something which isn't even a big deal. Recently, however, it seems every day joining fractals I've been met with the most vile kinds of people acting so mighty on people and getting mad if they aren't playing perfectly or using pots for normal dailies or whatever it is. I had a group yesterday advertising normal T4s run push CM and get mad when we didn't pull it off first try when suddenly asked to do CM when the post was just normal dailies. Another posted for DPS and then got upset that the DPS they got wasn't Alac DPS when they asked just for DPS. People are getting angry over such small things now and the community used to be so nice and forgiving. Is this a common thing that it comes and goes with the festivals or are people just so much more jaded suddenly and acting mightier than thou? 

Players are entitled to be annoyed and annoying. Block and move on if you don’t like a player or they bother you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 4