I'm about to make my very first legendary armor set, and i'll ask you.

Peter.3901

Made light first back when chrono was meta (in PVE and WVW, boon chrono) as well as heavy armor for firebrand around PoF (for WvW). Then made sure to have second heavy when firebrand and renegade were meta along with warrior. Made medium last.

In current scenario if you plan on making a set I would say heavy is the best bet.

2 hours ago, Peter.3901 said:

If you made a set of legendary armor, which class would you make it for first? And if you did already, what was your first choice? and did you like what you chose?

First of gratz! You are going to love it, the armory was a really good change even if it removed some personal goals.

For me, looked at all the toons I had. Divided up how many each weight class had and then looked at it from a play time perspective and how often each weight class got adjusted. So in order for me it ended up medium first, heavy was next and then did the light set. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter.3901 said:

If you made a set of legendary armor, which class would you make it for first? And if you did already, what was your first choice? and did you like what you chose?

I chose medium first because my main at the time wore medium. Heavy was second and light third. All based on what classes I played most at that time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Strange answer: Medium, because getting a decent look on them is so hard that you need to burn through a hundred Transmutation Charges compared to have nice light and heavy armor look.

Your point is quite valid as people may not think about the reduced costs in changing skins on Leggo gear.

• Like 1

I've started with heavy, cuz I already had the asc sets with the right stats for my ranger. I was playing warrior at the time...
Since I later moved onto guardian and revenant, it worked out in the end.
Iirc, I went Heavy -> Medium -> Light.
I'd say, go with a set that helps you out the most. What is the class you play most often? Are you using a wide variety of builds on it? Is there another class that would require multiple sets of stats that you want to gear? and so on...
In the end, legendary armor (at least for me) is just QoL. It feels great to be able to swap between healer and tank in couple of clicks without a need to waste gear tabs (very fun problem you run into on guardian and revenant).

I'm very slowly working on a set of medium legendary armour, mostly because the professions I play most are ranger, elementalist, engineer and thief and 3 of the 4 use medium armour and also because I like the chest piece of the Triumphant Hero's armour and wanted it for the skin so I was going to get the precursor anyway.

If I ever make raid legendary armour I'll go for the light set because it's the only one where I like the effects and would use some pieces without transmuting them.

(Which is a bit weird because I normally play my elementalists in WvW and ranger in raids, so they'll have to swap.)

15 hours ago, Peter.3901 said:

Yup, i'm about to choose the medium first, but wanted to see some opinions.

If you enjoy medium professions, medium is a good first choice if you're looking towards endgame PvE. Engineer can fulfill basically any role that isn't boss-specific, ranger (especially druid) covers a lot of raid mechanics, and deadeye can cover most special roles that ranger and engineer don't already cover. WvW might be more problematic - I'm just a dabbler in WvW, but from what I've heard ranger and thief aren't particularly highly valued there, although it's possible what I've heard is out of date.

I went with heavy first, but my reasons for doing so are mostly out of date now (banner warrior is now just a quickness provider rather than a unique role, and renegade is no longer the main alacrity provider). Followed up with light primarily on the basis of which professions I personally prefer to bring into endgame content, and on the basis that since I already had heavy, light provided a good complement (alacrity, ranged DPS, mesmer portals, scourge ressing). Currently working on medium.

Congrats on your first set.  It's only 300 LI and 300 Provisioner Tokens to your next set!  🙂

I went with heavy on my alt account because I was playing alac ren the most on that account and wanted the ability to switch up my builds for revenant as needed.  Of course, ren fell from being king alac shortly after I got my first set of legendary armor on that account.  I just finished my medium set since I am playing Engineer tons right now.

On my main account, my first set was light because I was playing mesmer and necro more than anything else in raids.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to try for the WvW medium set or the PvE set on that account.

Whatever you do, you will likely wish you'd done something different shortly afterwards.  🙂

Forgot to mention. In case you play all the weights, I think the most efficient option is to make the coat/leggings for all 3 weights first then go back to the "most played weight" for filling out the rest of the slots. Reason is because legendary pieces are roughly the same price regardless of slot but ascended coat and leggings are more expensive and if you play things like fractals the other pieces drop more often. However this also assumes you have already made a set of legendary runes otherwise it'll be annoying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Forgot to mention. In case you play all the weights, I think the most efficient option is to make the coat/leggings for all 3 weights first then go back to the "most played weight" for filling out the rest of the slots. Reason is because legendary pieces are roughly the same price regardless of slot but ascended coat and leggings are more expensive and if you play things like fractals the other pieces drop more often. However this also assumes you have already made a set of legendary runes otherwise it'll be annoying.

I was about to raise the rune issues until you did yourself...

I think there are pros and cons to each approach. Personally, I consider getting all six pieces of any given set to be a massive QoL boost, since that means that from then on I have a no-fuss way of changing all of my armour for all characters of that weight from then on. Meanwhile, if I need more armour for the weight I don't already have legendary for... well, the ascended armour skins aren't going to unlock themselves, I'll probably end up paying that price anyway. Mileage may vary depending on what the account has otherwise.

If it's raid armour, too, there's also the free set of precursors for your first weight, so that's a situation where getting the full set is cheaper than getting torso and legs for every set.

I regard my necro as my main, so i expected to make the light set first. However, i made the heavy set first because i use my firebrand more in raids (handy also for tinkering with my rev to plug gaps) then i made light to let me use my chrono and ele for buffs and heals. I'd like to make the medium set but it's so ugly, even though it would allow me to use the various spectre builds instead of being locked into heals (druid) or deeps (soulbeast/untamed). Maybe i should just bite the bullet and make the last set; transmutes are free after all...

On 1/26/2023 at 12:31 AM, Peter.3901 said:

I made a Heavy to start, because at the time, Revenant and Guardian were good in raids and fractals, and had many different stat sets for different builds. Then Light, because my Necro is my main squeeze.