Ele Mains: How Would You Fix Catalyst for PvP?

CalmTheStorm.2364

On 1/30/2023 at 4:21 AM, Ragnarox.9601 said:

They were scepter/focus? Its not catalyst that is broken its the scepter.

If that were the case, then it would've been any ele espec that we see a lot, no? 

But as OP said, a team of 5 catalysts won. As such, being a catalyst surely plays a large role in this overperformance.

So if something is getting nerfed it has to be the catalyst. Please don't touch the scepter too much. We've been asking for a usable ranged mage weapon for damage... you know, for the mage class, for so long.

Edited by HowlKamui.5120
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, Razor.6392 said:

Honestly you should get slapped for suggesting nerfing a weapon skill. Catalyst isn't the only one using earth 5, use your brain and stop destroying other specs because cata is broken.

? It's that or we nerf cata traits which are way more valuable than an invuln becoming a block, not to mention that focus users are bad at the game and I don't care what happens to them anyway. Dagger offhand or you're not even an ele main.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, solemn.9670 said:

? It's that or we nerf cata traits which are way more valuable than an invuln becoming a block, not to mention that focus users are bad at the game and I don't care what happens to them anyway. Dagger offhand or you're not even an ele main.

So you're willing to nerf a WHOLE class because Anet decided to be shortsighted and overbuff scepter? And this is why the classes are dogwater right now or most specs feel like a shell of their former selves, literally people like this are suggesting to beat a whole weapon set that can affect a WHOLE class because they can't identify what the heck is making the build so strong.

The skills that are over performing and what several SMART ele mains have pointed out:

D-tooth
Water Trident
Rock Barrier
The F1 on Cata because it procs Fresh air multiple times
Two traits within the Cata line
Elite Cata Skill

Now if people can't see that, then they either don't play ele or don't read skills. Either way, three other specs don't need to suffer because of people's inability to either read skills or figure out what is ACTUALLY broken.

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

So you're willing to nerf a WHOLE class because Anet decided to be shortsighted and overbuff scepter? And this is why the classes are dogwater right now or most specs feel like a shell of their former selves, literally people like this are suggesting to beat a whole weapon set that can affect a WHOLE class because they can't identify what the heck is making the build so strong.

The skills that are over performing and what several SMART ele mains have pointed out:

D-tooth
Water Trident
Rock Barrier
The F1 on Cata because it procs Fresh air multiple times
Two traits within the Cata line
Elite Cata Skill

Now if people can't see that, then they either don't play ele or don't read skills. Either way, three other specs don't need to suffer because of people's inability to either read skills or figure out what is ACTUALLY broken.

So you're this ridiculously angered over me thinking SOMEONE ELSES suggestion is good? You choose to direct your vitriolic, immature ideological "PeOPlE lIkE tHiS arE ruIniNg tHe gAMe" crap lol. Did you have a bad day? Who hurt you man? Lol.

Anyway you do have a point, I guess maybe it was a bad suggestion on his part in that respect.

And that's all I have to say because I'm an adult who is open to feedback and doesn't need to act like a kitten every time someone has a slightly different perspective on something.

Hate to break it to you btw but something is going to be nerfed to please the whiners. Pick your poison, I don't really think losing invulnerability to condis during earth shield 5 would really break anything I'm currently doing and I play literally everything on ele (I don't know if you realized you were speaking to me when you made this comment but I am kind of known for knowing ele inside and out lmao?) It wouldn't be a big deal I'd just adapt my cleansing but whatever school me yo yo Master

• Confused 6

Neither scepter nor catalyst are inherently OP. Its the combo that makes it problematic. So you could either nerf scepter or catalyst. Nerfing the catalyst will result in nerfing hammer and d/d aswell. Nerfing the scepter will result in a nerf for scepter Weaver aswell. 

The best way to nerf specifically scepter cata would imo to nerf some of the regular scepter spells while boosting some of the scepter dual skills for weaver. 

Fortified earth is also quite a problematic skill atm. 3 sec block+ barrier on 30/20 sec cd is already incredibly strong, but becomes kinda problematic when you can combine it with obsidian flesh+magnetic aura+good sustain+amazing condi cleanse and a ranged weapon. Probably could use a small nerf by either reducing the duration/cooldown or changing it to blocking the next attack only (probably alongside a small cd reduction in that case). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:17 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Fix the game mode so players don't have to rely on cheese to win? Bring back tactics and strategy instead of everything coming down to damage, defense and movement? Deal with all the exploitations of the game's mechanics so players start on a nearly-equal playing field?

Oh right, you wanted me to say "nerf Catalyst". Fixing the scepter will do it, until the next OP class appears in precisely less than a month, as has happened many, many times before.

WORD!

The more important issue, which we see all the time is deathstacking one profession/spec.

Where is the problem in disallowing deathstacking?

18 hours ago, solemn.9670 said:

So you're this ridiculously angered over me thinking SOMEONE ELSES suggestion is good? You choose to direct your vitriolic, immature ideological "PeOPlE lIkE tHiS arE ruIniNg tHe gAMe" crap lol. Did you have a bad day? Who hurt you man? Lol.

Anyway you do have a point, I guess maybe it was a bad suggestion on his part in that respect.

And that's all I have to say because I'm an adult who is open to feedback and doesn't need to act like a kitten every time someone has a slightly different perspective on something.

Hate to break it to you btw but something is going to be nerfed to please the whiners. Pick your poison, I don't really think losing invulnerability to condis during earth shield 5 would really break anything I'm currently doing and I play literally everything on ele (I don't know if you realized you were speaking to me when you made this comment but I am kind of known for knowing ele inside and out lmao?) It wouldn't be a big deal I'd just adapt my cleansing but whatever school me yo yo Master

Amusing to think I would waste my energy being 'angry'. Trust me this was typed with an absence of vitriol in my heart. If anything if it was typed with the dryest expression because it was the same nonsense being spouted over again for the past..what two months now?

Also, correct yourself, I said and quote: "This is why classes feel like a shell of their former selves" not "People like you are ruining the game."

Also, also, actual adults don't need to state they are adults. Just saying. Anyways, time to flutter off for my morning coffee and work day.

Edited by Dreams.3128

3 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

Amusing to think I would waste my energy being 'angry'. Trust me this was typed with an absence of vitriol in my heart. If anything if it was typed with the dryest expression because it was the same nonsense being spouted over again for the past..what two months now?

Also, correct yourself, I said and quote: "This is why classes feel like a shell of their former selves" not "People like you are ruining the game."

Also, also, actual adults don't need to state they are adults. Just saying. Anyways, time to flutter off for my morning coffee and work day.

Ok man, try not to get "not vitriolic" at your coworkers for suggesting something that even slightly goes against your personal take. If you can't see the attitude you gave me in your post then you simply lack self awareness, or perhaps you've just been this way as long as you can remember and few people have called you out on it.

Be better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I would just make scpter act more like the hammer that is the reason why scpter got that major update to keep it on part with the hammers dps. Keep in mind scpter is the purest dps wepon and pure selfish wepon out of all of what ele has.

Hammer is the alternatively to scpter and odds are the next "thing" that ppl are going to run to is scpter gets over nerfed. The issues is only catalyest gets hammer and well staff not up to the job to be that ranged dps wepon in spvp or realty any environment.

20 hours ago, solemn.9670 said:

Ok man, try not to get "not vitriolic" at your coworkers for suggesting something that even slightly goes against your personal take. If you can't see the attitude you gave me in your post then you simply lack self awareness, or perhaps you've just been this way as long as you can remember and few people have called you out on it.

Be better.

Nah, I'm aware, and I also aware that this is a forum and not my workplace so I really don't need to treat you as if I am going to see you the next day.

What I am trying to be better on is already being worked on so I don't need to express some sort of apologetic behavior to someone I don't know and that felt the need to correct me or think I am 'angry'. Harsh, but truthful nonetheless. As you said, it's a game, get over it, move on.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:40 AM, HowlKamui.5120 said:

If that were the case, then it would've been any ele espec that we see a lot, no? 

But as OP said, a team of 5 catalysts won. As such, being a catalyst surely plays a large role in this overperformance.

So if something is getting nerfed it has to be the catalyst. Please don't touch the scepter too much. We've been asking for a usable ranged mage weapon for damage... you know, for the mage class, for so long.

Usable range? Man I am only one playing d/d all I see is infestation of scepter eles and its getting annoying, oneshot potential of them is really high. They are kitten and need to be dealt with. 

And yes when something is broken 95% players play that... s/f cata/weaver/tempest is living proof of that.

Edited by Ragnarox.9601
  • Thanks 2

On 1/29/2023 at 8:35 PM, Jski.6180 said:

Its only a group of ppl who cant deal with skills tracking that you can see. The vidcator GS dose the same thing and there are countless skills that also tracks we just simply cant see them. Its not scepter as an wepon its just the viable part.

I think this is all an example of anet unable to split effects and skills from game types. Channel inviable and invabitly should NOT be a thing in spvp it should simply be an channed blocked. Over all boon blocks aigles should not be an 100% block. Take 0 dmg effects should all be barrier effects. The fact we have these things in spvp in small group fights comply unbalances the game type.

I am sorry but vindicator gs5 has indication when it will drop on the ground, with DT its different thing so you cant actually compare those 2.

3 hours ago, Ragnarox.9601 said:

I am sorry but vindicator gs5 has indication when it will drop on the ground, with DT its different thing so you cant actually compare those 2.

They also track as well but give you an indication i kind all tracking skills should and have the "growing" effect like the GS skill.

• Like 1

I'm a warrior main in sPvP but I have played ele probably the second most. Some of the suggestions I have for fixing catalyst for PvP will necessarily affect all ele specs. In the end, however, we will be left with a whole CLASS that is much more healthy for competitive modes. ALL ELE SPECS WOULD NEED TO HAVE MAJOR NUMBERS CHANGES IF THIS WERE TO GO THROUGH

1) Players may only have 1 Aura active at a time. New Auras will overwrite old ones. Unless it is the same Aura type, Auras you gain through your own skills or combo-ing in combo fields cannot be overwritten by other ally's auras.  

2) Shrink the summons' visuals from the jade spheres (turtle, phoenix, kirin, and dragon) to about the size of the renegade portal from Citadel Bombardment and moving them to that location, above the head of the ele. Keep the size of the combo field the same. but completely remove the damage component in sPvP.

Once those two things are implemented, the rest is probably numbers.

On 2/3/2023 at 12:54 AM, Ragnarox.9601 said:

Usable range? Man I am only one playing d/d all I see is infestation of scepter eles and its getting annoying, oneshot potential of them is really high. They are kitten and need to be dealt with. 

And yes when something is broken 95% players play that... s/f cata/weaver/tempest is living proof of that.

It's something people need to learn to deal with, elementalist is a ranged class design....period! 95% of players using scepter...it's the normal course of actions.

As someone who logged tons of hours on pre-patch scepter catalyst, I'd like to say it was actually pretty healthy the way it was (if not already too strong). Revert the scepter buffs and all of a sudden:

1. It's more balanced
  2. It feels more rewarding to play because you actually have to set up your damage instead of being rewarded for pressing any  button at any time

• Like 1