[WvW QoL Suggestion] Map Objective Hover Over Pop Up

TheGrimm.5624

The idea is to start with a more simple interface that can be expanded on later pending use and needs and project costs. Concept is to allow a player to pop open the map and hover over an objective their side holds. The pop up would show the amount of supply the objective currently has and a siege icon that would show green, yellow or red. Green would indicate all the siege at the objective has 40+ minutes left before it expires. Yellow would appear if any siege is between 16-39 minutes before expiration and then if any have less than 15 minutes left would show red. This would not indicate how much siege is in the objective nor the various types, that would still be up to the player to locate and refresh but could be used in helping know that there is siege that needs renewing reducing the out of action time that defenders use up when making sure defensive tools aren't lost while they head out to find fights.

Pending level of effort a further complimentary change would be to use the same color coding when a player clicks on the siege while in the structure to more quickly ID the siege that is expiring versus clicking and then hovering over the icon to get the countdown time. Again pending level of effort this would be a small QoL but would reduce time defenders are out of the fight taking care of housekeeping actions but still trying to leave defensive tools in place.

The supply portion of the popup would aid both attackers and defenders of the same side in determining where they could resupply be that to repair damage after defending or for resupplying for their attack efforts. Note this is only for objectives that your side controls. One aspect that might come up is the tool being used by spy alt accounts, but the information shown could already be found out by a spy alt going to the structure themselves as people do today so see more of a gain to normal defenders over spy accounts. Tool would also be more useful to comms so they could dispatch a squad member to targeted locations versus have them check everywhere to again reduce the time people are out of action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Pending level of effort a further complimentary change would be to use the same color coding when a player clicks on the siege while in the structure to more quickly ID the siege that is expiring versus clicking and then hovering over the icon to get the countdown time.

You know, I was actually thinking about this the other day clicking on siege, thinking they should color code the siege decay icon on name plates, as you stated green for 40+, yellow 20-40, red for under 20mins. It's kinda annoying to check the hover for the remaining time every time.

I believe the supply display was suggested way back when their first put in the hovers.

Would be good qol changes.

• Like 1

You mean actual QoL changes and not rewards for people just wanting to get tickets?

The ram and siege changes were baffling and don't count as QoL for defenders. These changes above are actual QoL changes so I think they are more in line of what people were thinking when QoL changes were announced.

Edited by Infusion.7149

On 2/1/2023 at 12:12 AM, Xenesis.6389 said:

You know, I was actually thinking about this the other day clicking on siege, thinking they should color code the siege decay icon on name plates, as you stated green for 40+, yellow 20-40, red for under 20mins. It's kinda annoying to check the hover for the remaining time every time.

I believe the supply display was suggested way back when their first put in the hovers.

Would be good qol changes.

I still prefer more immersive methods than abstract icons - use something you need to see anyway.

For siege, they should actually loose HP over time. Thats the "timer". Not just plop gone because 60m has passed. The kicker? They should be repairable. Refreshing is no longer hopping in and out, but actually spending supplies to get the HP back up.

Ideally, siege should visually degrade (similar to how damaged walls change textures) so you wouldnt even need to click siege to see it need some maintenance, but the HP bar would be good enough.

But I digress, this is of course far more difficult to change than making an invisible wall visible again after 5+ years so we would be looking at like 50 years implementation time.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

For siege, they should actually loose HP over time. Thats the "timer". Not just plop gone because 60m has passed.

I like that. More immersive. That's a better explanation than "poof gone". I think that would count as a DoT which is taxing the server process. 50 sieges on a map taking damage every 3 sec sounds like lag-fest in a condi meta. Don't know how to make this nicely.

Also the visual appearance is nice, but sounds complicated to implement since there would be a need for new models. Maybe a filter on top would suffice. Like <75% get 1 broken infusion, <50% 2 broken infusions, 25% 3 broken infusions (make them stack for visual intensity).

Repair with supply is cool too, but would require something to avoid infinite repair while besiege. "Freshly used (5min)" buff could do the trick? That's another buff to implement?

I think I see why developing wvw is a nightmare, there's just so much connected together to consider that would make server explode.

14 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I still prefer more immersive methods than abstract icons - use something you need to see anyway.

For siege, they should actually loose HP over time. Thats the "timer". Not just plop gone because 60m has passed. The kicker? They should be repairable. Refreshing is no longer hopping in and out, but actually spending supplies to get the HP back up.

Ideally, siege should visually degrade (similar to how damaged walls change textures) so you wouldnt even need to click siege to see it need some maintenance, but the HP bar would be good enough.

But I digress, this is of course far more difficult to change than making an invisible wall visible again after 5+ years so we would be looking at like 50 years implementation time.

A visual clue would also be good, but agree I was thinking about this while trying to keep a requirement of a low project cost to not interfere with other development changes as much. Creating a UI with simple structure would also be a way to test if it helps at all or not. 

12 hours ago, ManiacMika.9851 said:

Repair with supply is cool too, but would require something to avoid infinite repair while besiege. "Freshly used (5min)" buff could do the trick? That's another buff to implement?

I think I see why developing wvw is a nightmare, there's just so much connected together to consider that would make server explode.

I had thought about that, but the goal is to get people in and out and back to the fight. The repair requirement would be an interesting addition but that would increase the time people would be seen as just hanging around in structures versus out at the fight. We are seeing more walls no longer repaired so having more player maintenance time would fall to a few people as more might look at it as someone else can go do that part. 

18 hours ago, ManiacMika.9851 said:

I like that. More immersive. That's a better explanation than "poof gone". I think that would count as a DoT which is taxing the server process. 50 sieges on a map taking damage every 3 sec sounds like lag-fest in a condi meta. Don't know how to make this nicely.

Pretty sure it would have next to zero performance impact because it would be incredibly simple fixed math on its own hp with no actual player interaction (ie its a server tick calculation). A modern CPU can do what, like a billion such calculations in a millisecond? 😛