Renown Hearts and Map Completion

Hello all,

I had an idea to help reduce the time it takes for Map Completion. The main sticking point I see for most is Hearts. Hearts require you to stop and complete fairly easy tasks, but that is time spent not moving and thus slows down the completion process.

So my idea is that when you map complete a region once, Kryta as an example, the tasks for completing Hearts in Kryta have their contributions increased by 24.75%. This process would be completed three more times, giving Heart tasks a maximum of 99% contribution. This would have to be done on four different characters, but the contribution increase with each completion will decrease the amount of time and work for each consecutive character.. Also the increased contribution would only apply to level 80 characters, that way if someone wants to level a character at the normal task contribution rate they can.

Since the Heart of Maguuma doesn't have Hearts maybe something like all Waypoints become available to all characters if all zones are completed on four different characters.
For the Seasons 3 and 4 the system would work the same, the maps would function as their own .regions.

One possible reward from the completion levels could be a large Renown Heart shield, or Titles for each Region like "Lost in the Shiverpeaks."
That is my baseline idea, tell me what you think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Vaevictus.1876 said:

Since the Heart of Maguuma doesn't have Hearts maybe something like all Waypoints become available to all characters if all zones are completed on four different characters.
For the Seasons 3 and 4 the system would work the same, the maps would function as their own .regions.

There's a gemstore item called: Expansion Waypoint Unlock Package. It unlocks all HoT and all PoF waypoints.
There's a similar one for Central Tyria.

I feel like those hearts ain't going away. Tbh, I'm more annoyed about having to complete the LW hearts to access the trader.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Vaevictus.1876 said:

I had an idea to help reduce the time it takes for Map Completion.

Why should it take less time? Map completion is the most fun I have in the game. All my cast of characters have full world completion and my key runners complete a few individual maps each week.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Why should it take less time? Map completion is the most fun I have in the game. All my cast of characters have full world completion and my key runners complete a few individual maps each week.

I feel like you're the exception here. Most people I know, myself included absolutely dread having to do hearts for completion

• Like 5
  • Confused 6

If they ever do something like this I hope it's optional, like an item you have to buy from the heart vendor to copy the completion across to another character. I like hearts and they're a big part of the PvE content in the game, it would be a shame to be effectively locked out of completing them after doing it once. Imagine if starting a new character in another game meant all the quests you'd completed on your previous one were already done and you could never replay them. You'd lose a big part of the game and, for me at least, part of the appeal of making a new character.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I like the idea, OP. It sounds like it'd be optional, and you'd still have to do world completion multiple times 'by hand' to get the full effect. It also sounds alt-friendly, which is a huge plus in a game that encourages you to try out a wide variety of classes and specs. In 10 years, I have full map completion on a single character (good progress on alts, but as I don't chase legendaries I haven't made a serious effort to map complete fully with them), but with the proposed change, I might have a reason to go through and do it a few more times. Tiering the process with titles also sounds fun.

I see, however, that the biggest weakness here has already been mentioned: They sell WP-unlock packs in the shop. Making map completion easier using an in-game/free method would eat into those profits significantly. Because of that, this idea could only really be feasible if the sales of those packs are somehow not as profitable as the potential character slot sales might be. If they are, it's dead in the water for money reasons, as GW2 only has a few things that it monetizes to support itself. So, I'm all for it, but at the same time I don't see it happening. 🤔

EDIT: A secondary consideration is map completion's per-map rewards (Black lion keys, transmute charges). Your system would have to account for these otherwise people would near-instantly be getting inundated with map rewards every time they made a character after their 4th which for obvious reasons is not ideal.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
A supplementary thought!
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Some hearts could be streamlined but your suggestion wouldn't work.

In addition to what AgentMoore said about map completion rewards and how they could be acquired nigh instantly after 4 characters, each Gift of Exploration "sells" for 500g or so, give or take. It does require some other account-bound materials but the bulk of that price is because of the time required to do map completion and your suggestion would end up tanking the price of Gen 1 legendaries far lower than they already are as each character can get two Gifts of Exploration.

There's also some hearts where you can make silver by gathering materials and selling them on the trading post. It's not much but it is a way to make some free silver as there's always people willing to buy them to save a few minutes on a heart. If you start at 99% map completion, the moment you grab any such item, you'd finish the heart so the supply for those items would start drying up. Fast.

Given there's already a waypoint unlock item for sale, it would make sense for a (regional) heart unlock to be for sale as well, but it should only give 15%-20% completion per item bought. That way if someone really wants to skip through hearts they can... but only for one character. To ensure it's only a convenience item to save time, it would have to cost more than what one would get from map rewards and potentially locked to how many one account could get. But an account-wide buff that puts all hearts at 99%? That would be tons of free gold per character, further deflate exotic weapons and ectos, and deflate Gen 1 legendaries.

Not to mention it would ruin map completion for those who enjoy it because there is no way to do 100% map completion and not hit 80 partway through. You could make it a toggle but that still doesn't change the impact it would have on the economy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zohane.7208 said:

There's a youtube video of a world completion done in 8 hours 59 minutes. I don't think it needs to be faster than it already is.

world record is meaningless cause that's the optimum....last time I did it on a new character with all mounts, but not level boosts, it took me about 35 hours, so roughly one hour per map, without hearts it was closer to 15 minutes per map

I am on the map completion is relaxing and pretty fun bandwagon. I try different routes to shake things up a bit. (and did most of my core completes before mounts / gliding) I have no issue with hearts, except one.....Join the Ash Legion of Tawny Ridge in stealth operations, I am glaring at you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

(a) This is an MMO, you are supposed to invest time in it.

(b) There are rewards tied to map completion. Should the key and transmutation charge be eliminated and only 1 GoE be rewarded since map completion becomes almost trivialized?

(c) XP is plentiful, but people still "complain" about lack of spirit shards or mastery track progress.

While there are some annoying hearts for sure, and it does take effort to map-complete, I can't see it changing. I'm at 85% Tyria on a character right now, need a GoE since a precursor dropped. Would it be nice to rarely have to get off my mount to finish? Sure. Should I have to get off my mount to finish? Yes.

• Like 4

If you want the rewards for doing World Completion, go and do it. If you don't want to do it, don't do it and get no rewards.

There's literally no need or reason to cut it any shorter than it already is.

Just be happy they removed WvW from it.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

People would cry and say that this would make GW2 P2W.

It's what I call pay-to-not-play, which is buying a game and then paying money to skip parts of it. It's not necessarily the same as pay-to-win because you don't always 'win' or gain anything significantly useful, it's just a weird trend of people wanting to buy big, long games designed to take a lot of time and then being willing to pay even more money to remove the inconvenience of actually playing them.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Hearts are hilarious. The game that did away with conventional questing and replaced it with...meaningless, reptitive hearts.

That's because of playtesting.

There were no hearts originally. The game was supposed to rest entirely on dynamic events. Players used to traditional MMOs were lost without questgivers and quest hubs, so hearts were added to give focus, in the hope that players would get drawn into areas and then interact with the events.

It's not that ANet flubbed their original vision. It's that a portion of players couldn't adapt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

I really like map completion but I must say, completing echovald on multiple characters to get the gifts was pain. The two hearts that are more or less clones of one another are so painfully slow and boring to me, I didn't want to do them once nevermind another 5 times. 

With the exception of the excruciatingly slow progress of some hearts opposed to others that are done in no time (not because of mechanics or anything, but because some of them just seem to fill a lot slower even though you put in the same effort) I see no reason to remove hearts. They're all little stories in a larger world, making it a richer experience. Sure, if you've played this game for years it might become boring, but many things become boring when you have to repeat it a lot.

In short, I don't feel laziness should be encouraged or rewarded.

• Like 5