February 14 Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

Necromancer/Reaper feedback:

I think that the changes for necromancer are insubstantial. There are classes that reach over 40k DPS on power builds, and the changes to dagger and shouts will not contribute to the necromancer's DPS ceiling that this class desperately needs. It's nice that dagger gets a little buff, so the bottom level of necromancer DPS will increase slightly, however we still struggle with life force depleting quickly in PvE content due to passive damage taken - this was not a big problem in dungeons and early fractals as much, but over time the PvE combat design shifted into unavoidable, shared damage that you need to bring healers for. This hurts necromancers a lot by pulling them out of shroud, where they need to be to deal damage. But even in a perfect scenario where the reaper can be in shroud for full duration, it still barely reaches 35.6k DPS. If anything, balancing reaper should be similar to how you're treating elementalist this patch, where you're over-buffing it so that the heavy price of being a reaper is evening out the average performance. 

Edited by Sublimatio.6981
Feedback
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 16

Is that it? Are you kidding me? So we're just going to pretend like power berserker is in a good spot, huh? One minuscule PvE-focused berserker change for a spec that's massively lagging behind almost everyone else? Is this what we've been waiting for 2.5 months? Do you have some spite towards berserker? Bladesworn and spellbreaker are your new favorite toys, and balancing berserker is no fun?

Current benchmark is 34924 dps. This change would add 457 more dps, for a total of 35381. When bladesworn is at 40608 and spellbreaker - at 40351. Power berserker received a 1.3% buff, when it needed a 14.5% improvement to join the 40k club. Give me ONE good reason why it shouldn't.

You wrecked this spec into the ground half-a-year ago, and you have done kitten-all to remedy the situation. You have failed to even bring it back up to the level it was at before EoD (38k), and it WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH EVEN BACK THEN to see popular adoption as a dps build, much less now when we have several >40k builds. Berserker is currently being played by 0.67% of players in raids - the only place they can compete in due to, ironically, the lack of burst damage that's oh so coveted in fractals - and that's counting BOTH POWER AND CONDI builds. 0.41% in fractals. Power berserker's benchmark is laughably low, considering the build's selfish nature, and that's even assuming you engage in the exploitey weapon stowing gameplay. If you don't - the dps falls down by another ~1.5k, putting the dps-only power berserker on the same level as some QUICKNESS-DPS builds of other classes.

When soulbeast dared to fall out of favor a little bit due to nerfed OWP, you panicked and buffed every weapon skill they use in the very next update, but when berserker is down in the ditch for half-a-year - here, have a single +0.1 coefficient, suck it up. Oh and we're going to bug your trait for 3 months, just for the hell of it. This is frankly insulting.

Fix what you broke! It's been 6 months! All you need to change is numbers! How many more months do we need to wait for it to happen?

Edited by ZEUStiger.3590
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 28
  • Sad 2

Mesmer:
Mantra of distraction reducing diversion cool down was what enabled the degenerate gameplay of CI mirage. This is really not a good idea, you've removed CDR traits because of this. Please change it to an AoE daze on charge or something else please.
Mantra of Pain: This is still a low skill ability and needs reworking. Many people have suggested making it boon removal which would be great on power builds.
Timewarp: This skill is going to get complained about with slow and chill lol
Chrono Wells: People don't use them because no-one stays in them. Please change these wells to pulse the effect each time.
The rest is nice to have but come on, 2nd dodge on mirage is becoming a meme.

Edited by apharma.3741
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

21 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Firebrand mantras now require an initial casting time to prepare the mantra charges. The final charge of each mantra is more powerful.

I don't want to go back to how they worked before. It was such a QOL improvement to not accidently use the last charge by mistake. There is no mention here about boon duration adjustments iirc those were changed when Mantras were changed and the lack of detail here is really discouraging. Please don't make this change for Firebrand.

I like a lot of the other changes in this patch. The lack of significant changes to thief is really disappointing. It's great Steal is back on Daredevil and Specter has condi cleanse but overall these are small changes.

I hope the boon duration adjustments made to Mechanist and Renegade happen for other builds

Edited by Vidit.7108
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I am so happy to finally see the old Firebrand mantra animations back, I was so sad when they removed them from the game. Nice with some more skill expression back into the game with the last powerful charge. Very good idea with the auto flip out of combat to we get the best of both worlds.

I'm kind of confused why they didn't do any nerfs to Virtuoso so that Chrono can be a closer competitor. I also think Bladesworn should have had a tiny bit more nerfs.

I think the Reaper buffs are probably not enough to make it a true strong pick in Raiding/Fractals, but hey at least Chilled to the Bone got a nice buff.

Happy to see the extra stability on Ele, but the Weaver buffs might be a bit too much lol

as for what kind of player I am, I mainly play instanced end-game PvE such as Raids/Strikes/Fracs and enjoy pushing for fast clear times and low man groups.

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 11
  • Confused 8

Big picture view, this is a very large update to game balance and profession mechanics and should be applauded in it's scope.

However, as a mainly Revenant player, I'm very disappointed in basically no changes to the profession outside of some competitive changes. I really hope Revenant is the main focus for the next major balance patch.

Personal gripe: I'm very saddened in the Imperial Impact Chill removal in PvP modes. I used this function a lot on a condi-Vindi build to proc Abyssal Chill trait in Corruption. Please find another way to nerf the ability if it's too bloated.

Edited by Jaykay.9641
Added more context
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

Sigh…this could’ve been sent in an email. Not impressed at all.

They seriously want to ship changes/reverts that could have easily been in a regular patch? Additionally, we’ve been hyper vocal about Mirage changes and where are they? No where in sight.

What is wrong with them? I honestly want to know because it’s really baffling how out of touch they are with the community. If they’re gonna deliver lack lustre changes like these, ship them in regular patches along with your bug fixes etc…. Don’t bother trying to give players something to look forward to if you can’t even deliver anything good.

Edited by Tseison.4659
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 19
  • Sad 1

Thank you CMC and Roy for all your efforts. 

I feel like Dragonhunter and Willbender didn't receive big enough buffs, the virtues change for Willbender is a solid change but there needs to more incentive to run those over Firebrand which can output as much DPS as Willbender while supporting allies. I think there needs to be additional buffs to make either Condi or Power Willbender to be meta. Another note is that off-hand sword on Willbender needs to be looked at as there's no reason to run it over torch.

Edited by Zea Alter.1687
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8

Lots of good and fun ele changes but it looks like Mist Form was slightly neglected. I guess you don't want to make this stronger in competitive game modes but in PVE this skill just feels pretty bad especially losing the 20% cooldown reduction.

There were not huge uses for it as it was but even things like blocking sloth projectiles will now be nerfed. I'd like it if they cut the cooldown from 60 seconds to say 45 seconds in PVE only.

I know this is a pretty pedantic point as ele did get some ok changes here but I don't want to forget about it!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Some awesome changes but pls revert the cd increase on longbow 2 for dh, reduce the aftercast on greatsword  4 and or buff possetion of blades abit dmg wise. Especially with the sword and focus buffs longbow is more undervalued for dh now. Pls reconsider the cd increase and reduce the aftercast on gs4 because everyone hates it.

As for reaper reduce litch form cd in pve to make it have more than 2 uses per encounter lol.

EDIT: Reduce the timewarp cd in pve as well, literally no reason to do that only in competitive.

EDIT2: Not going to lie im shocked that lb2 still roots but you are removing the slow on gs2. At least make us move at half speed.

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I responded to the previous balance preview by talking about how I liked that it was said on stream that you wanted scepter on elementalist to be a DPS weapon. With that I really wanted to clarify the use for each weapon on each class. For this balance preview staff on elemntalist as a support weapon, dagger on necromancer, hammer on guardian as bruser weapons was mentioned. I will remember this. This mostly has to deal with Staff since it has so many skills I do feel that a ton of the skills it has are more DPS focused then support focused.

The one weapon I think about that was not living up to the role I use it as is warrior main hand sword. Mainly final thrust. The weapon is used for condition builds but final thrust only apples bleeding when target is 50% or below. In open world you almost never use this because when a target is reached 50% or below the conditions you already applied will finish the target. Seeing it now apply 3 stacks when above 50% will help that a lot. However I still don't know if the skill will be worth using when a target is above the heath threshold in a rotation.

The major changes I am looking foreword to is the alacrity changes for Tempest and Renegade. The pulsing on Tempest will make it much easier to keep it up and Renegade really need it to increase ever since end of dragons changed 10 target skills to 5 target. I still feel a lot of skills that were 10 target have not gotten full compensated for the reduced target cap.

As a PvE player mostly it looks like I will enjoy the changes made and I am not coming out of this balance update feeling like anything I played a lot before is now unplayable. Good Jobs. Keep it up. See you at the next balance update.

• Confused 1

I'll be honest, the old Utility Goggles, however niche it was, did serve its purpose well. Utility Goggles as they stand now even with this change is just outclassed by many other skills. 

IMO, the best way to buff this skill to the point of being a viable option is to make it work on the ammunition system; two charges at most. This way, it stands out from all of the other stun breaks engineer has access to by having ammunition. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

• Shadow Meld: This skill no longer removes revealed in PvP and WvW.

I get it, too much stealth...but what are you going to do to make the skill ELITE worthy now? 
     - "Stealth Yourself" is a bit CRAP to be frank...2s of stealth with 45s cooldown on 2 ammo charges EACH... its NOT worth the elite skill. Not to mention that it helped synergize with followup shots like Death's Judgement.
    You have literally killed Deadeye Roaming playstyle altogether with this. Now when we come against a NEW UNBLOCKABLE Sic em + Rapidfire ranger you cant just place down Smokescreen because it lasts what...4 second with a long cast time? You are DEAD the moment he mashes "Sic Em!" No way to counter it other than Daggerstorm or to obstruct the shots. NOT TO MENTION Longbow's and some shortbow attacks have an ARC which extend the EFFECTIVE range by 200 units the higher elevation you are so you couldnt even defend yourself with a rifle which literally should be outranging a longbow... Give this skill some kind of compensation in WvW aside from a measly 2s stealth...it wont even synergize with Meld With Shadows Trait now. Seriously take a look at the GW2 Thief Forums, Ask for feedback and TAKE IT HIGHLY INTO CONSIDERATION. YOU DID WELL on the rifle revert last patch because that range reduction was going to kill the entire elite spec...do it again.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1