February 14 Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

47 minutes ago, ZEUStiger.3590 said:

Is that it? Are you kidding me? So we're just going to pretend like power berserker is in a good spot, huh? One minuscule PvE-focused berserker change for a spec that's massively lagging behind almost everyone else? Is this what we've been waiting for 2.5 months? Do you have some spite towards berserker? Bladesworn and spellbreaker are your new favorite toys, and balancing berserker is no fun?

Current benchmark is 34924 dps. This change would add 457 more dps, for a total of 35381. When bladesworn is at 40608 and spellbreaker - at 40351. Power berserker received a 1.3% buff, when it needed a 14.5% improvement to join the 40k club. Give me ONE good reason why it shouldn't.

You wrecked this spec into the ground half-a-year ago, and you have done kitten-all to remedy the situation. You have failed to even bring it back up to the level it was at before EoD (38k), and it WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH EVEN BACK THEN to see popular adoption as a dps build, much less now when we have several >40k builds. Berserker is currently being played by 0.67% of players in raids - the only place they can compete in due to, ironically, the lack of burst damage that's oh so coveted in fractals - and that's counting BOTH POWER AND CONDI builds. 0.41% in fractals. Power berserker's benchmark is laughably low, considering the build's selfish nature, and that's even assuming you engage in the exploitey weapon stowing gameplay. If you don't - the dps falls down by another ~1.5k, putting the dps-only power berserker on the same level as some QUICKNESS-DPS builds of other classes.

When soulbeast dared to fall out of favor a little bit due to nerfed OWP, you panicked and buffed every weapon skill they use in the very next update, but when berserker is down in the ditch for half-a-year - here, have a single +0.1 coefficient, suck it up. Oh and we're going to bug your trait for 3 months, just for the hell of it.

Fix what you broke! It's been 6 months! All you need to change is numbers! How many more months do we need to wait for it to happen?

It's a video game, calm down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

Some quick thoughts as a PvE guardian main focused on fractals and raids:
(Mind, I'm not professing myself as some expert by saying so, these are just personal nitpicks.)

Power damage buffs? Great! Loving that. They're needed.
Willbender virtues not overriding eachother? Mwah. Love it.
But there's a couple pain points and worries I've got, alongside these nicer changes. Namely:

Resolution on Power Builds:
Min-maxing your build for capping critical chance is still typically reliant on resolution via Righteous Instincts. Resolution is not exactly a convenient or easy boon to maintain on your own as a power guardian (DH or WB) when taking Radiance over Virtues, and most party/squad comps don't tend to bring or cover it, in my experience. This leaves an uncomfortable gap when optimizing and can result in problems with consistent crits. It's not the end of the world, but I'd love to see either some better access to personal resolution on Radiance- either through adjustments to Healer's Resolution or by otherwise letting Virtues be 'the resolution traitline' and shifting Radiance to rely on a more common boon in team comps such as protection.

Healbrand Mantra Channeling:
Regaining the flavor of these skill animations is lovely. But the automatic flip-over when out of combat doesn't address one of the more annoying issues that plagued Healbrand prior the global change to mantras, and which often ended up being a trap for new players to the spec: Depleting the final charge of your mantras will absolutely tank your quickness uptime. In full Harrier's gear you already have a fairly narrow margin for maintaining quickness if you're not taking "Feel My Wrath!", which itself is relatively underwhelming compared to other options like Mantra of Liberation or even Signet of Courage. This ultimately is a mistake that a practiced or experienced player can avoid, barring occasional misfires in panic situations, but I sure do hope that 'more powerful final cast' in the notes also covers a healthy duration of boon application, or alternatively that the traits Liberator's Vow and Stalwart Speed might be triggered by the skill channel itself, in the latter case, likely through adding minor boon application on Mantra of Potence when channeling ends.

Still, love to see the attention being paid to PvE power builds despite this patch being very PvP/WvW focused. Thanks for all the hard work. ❤️

Edited by Bengal Charr.9180
Redundant word use.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Lucid Singularity: This trait now causes overloads to pulse alacrity while channeling in addition to granting alacrity when channeling is completed. The total amount of alacrity granted remains the same.

This is getting better but still not great. This helps with not being as punished by interrupts or having to dodge but it still keeps it a very un fun way to play it, especially with it being the same total duration. It's still just spending way too much time channeling overloads rather than doing anything else.

Exiting a firebrand tome will now put that tome on a 0.5-second cooldown.

Spector got this treatment and now firebrand but still nothing for catalyst hammer 3 with it's double tap issues, are we going to get it?

Deadeye's Mark is no longer removed when the deadeye goes into the downed state.

Are we going to get something like this with catalyst energy? It's so painful to lose all energy on downed state and have to build it all back up. Better yet would be to just remove energy on it all together but at least make it so we don't lose it on downed state.

So much talk about removing traits that reduce cooldown on certain skills and it would be so nice to remove the element specific cooldowns on the elementalist traits for weapon skills and reduce the base cooldowns on them. There are so many long cooldowns, especially on staff, doesn't feel good when you aren't traited into the right element. Speaking of staff, there are some good changes in there but it still needs more work on it.

• Confused 1

This is going to be overshadowed by all the other posts but I don't understand why Trickster has been changed. 

My build uses 2 tricks, 1 healing & the other elite, Dagger storm, these are no longer viable options. 

It just seems an unnecessary change to fix a problem that didn't exist. 

Please reconsider. 

• Like 2

Overall I'm a fan of this patch with a one major exception.

Loving the changes to elementalist across the board. The alacrity change was widely requested and will make a vast improvement to the build functionality in all game modes. The buffs to weaver are great. The spec is certainly strong now, but inline with Anet's DPS philosophy a modest buff was called for. I've seen some people reacting very strongly saying that this will take weaver to 50k+ benchmarks that seems very off to me. Depending on the percentage on weave-self this should be a 4-6k bump, putting weaver at a 44k-46k bench. That is right where weaver should be, and if it ends up being higher they've already acknowledged they would tune down in the future. I don't have much to say about scepter/cata changes because I don't play the game mode, but they seem solid over all. The biggest take away I have here is they specifically called out not wanting to delete builds anymore. This is a huge change in Anets balance philosophy and an extremely welcome one in all game modes.

DPS changes for guardian look ok, but I don't know if it will be enough to push them over the hump. The changes to willbender virtues is an excellent quality of life change, and will make the build much more functional. Great changes across the board for thief in pve, and the nerf to Meld Shadows will make deadeyes so much more bearable to fight against in wvw. Same general thoughts over all for the remaining classes.

The one thing that I truly do not like about this patch, and I really, really hope they reconsider reverting is the changes to mantras. In my opinion the old version of mantras was simply putrid from a gameplay perspective and the changes they've made do nothing to alleviate the issue with such huge cast times on crucial skills mid-combat. The version of mantras that is active in game now is superior is every way from play perspective and should not be changed. This is not a change that has been asked for and for me personally would make firebrand dead on arrival. Right now I can slot a mantra on my bar as a mesmer and get some use group utility, with the cast bar coming back I doubt I ever try and bring that utility in the future. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I think I'm in the 1% of players who play warrior in PvP / WvW.

There have been very few players playing this class (core, SB, Zerk, BSW) in competitive modes for what feels like forever. For a VERY good reason.

Well, no drama here but my well of goodwill has run dry. I may pop my head in on the next "balance" patch in say 3 to 4 months?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

The Cooldown reduction remove from "Banshee's Wail" basically results in a strait nerf to a trait thats hardly beeing used anyway because of the strong competing traits in this tier, especially from "Vampiric Presence". Unless you want to give this another rework down the line "Banshee's Wail" will become pretty much a dead trait if you not raise its powerlevel back up in some other way, maybe increasing its healing modifier a bit more.

"Augury of Death" has pretty much the same problem but would be even worse of. If i understand the notes right this traits only remaining effect would be to add some measly amount of life siphon to shouts. Thats unless only one portion of the CD reduction is getting removed, most likely the on hit part(?).

Also the new CD for "Rise!" will prevent the previusly possible "permanet" uptime of shambling horrors. I get it if this was the intention for competitive modes, even though in PvP you hardly ever hit max. targets anyway and in WvW minions would simply get killed before they expire. PvE minion mancer builds, who already get far to little love in this game,  however would get hit quite hard by this change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Delrago.2098 said:

Give the mantra some boon hate or something that gives me a reason to take it over Daze mantra. Daze mantra just out shines pain mantra from the utility, trait synergy, and sigil synergy.

I feel like mesmers have enough boonrip already. I think you're fine.

19 minutes ago, Delrago.2098 said:

"Master of Manipulation: This trait no longer reduces the recharge of manipulation skills, and it now grants aegis to nearby allies instead of superspeed." This I would rather of kept the super speed instead of the aegis as Mesmer does struggle with mobility as more mobility focused specializations come out.

Yeah I agree with that.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

First of all, thanks to Roy 'Roy' and cmcW for the preview! Overall changes look mighty fine across all classes, but I'll focus on the ones I play the most 🙂

GENERAL

One of common themes was making cooldown reduction of certain skill types baseline, detaching from respective traits. While I can see these changes as legitimate buffs, I feel that I'm going to miss the interactions and synergy between traits and skills when crafting a build. 

Different skill types, weapons and traits / traitlines affiliated with them is a big part of GW2 system design to me, and the more of these systems are interconnected, the better, right? Right..? I'm very curious where does this point fall in your modern balance philosophy. 

Oh, and without CD reduction all these traits will feel straight out nerfed and low value, so not giving them anything in return is also not cool.

GUARDIAN

Sword, Focus and Greatsword buffs are of course very welcome and hopefully they will be enough to make Power specs more competitive. However, I'm slightly concerned these weapons will outshine Longbow and Offhand sword again, so Power Dragonhunter and Willbender risk losing their iconic weapons if you'd really want to push the DPS to the highest. I hope it's not the case but I'd still love to see some damage buffs to Longbow and especially Offhand sword in PVE.

Utility and quality of life improvements on Greatsword and Hammer look very exciting! The only thing left unfixed is good old Greatsword 4 aftercast. Please guys, sweaty benchmark enjoyers bully me for not stowing GS4 in my rotations, can we unbully the poor peepos like me and fix that? ^^;

Sword skill CDs detached from Right Hand strength are welcome, I guess, but the trait becomes sort of bland without them. Just a small boost to stats, and guardian is already overcapped on crit anyway so precision is not really sought after. Can we maybe have something more exciting there later? 
With that said, a lot of other traits in Zeal and Radiance might be underused and can see some buffs or even reworks.

Dragonhunter buffs are also looking strong. I doubt someone will use those other traps anyway, but good effort! Heavy Light inner CD reduction may be dangerous but I'm excited about trying that trait again so looking forward to the change. Hunter's Determination rework also sounds fun, but maybe a bit weaker than before overall. Maybe adding a stack of Stability or Aegis (or even something wild like Resistance or Superspeed) on top of stunbreak will help?

And of course Firebrand mantras! I'm absolutely happy to see you guys caring about skill identity and aesthetics so I welcome the return of good old stuff. Hopefully voice lines on charging come back as well! Though as an afterthought, the auto-charging (as convenient as it is) may be a bit weird and inconcenient from roleplay perspective. If I want to cast the gorgeous charging animation while hanging out in a city, is there no way for me to do it after the change?

THIEF

Signet trait change looks dangerous, I wish it was valuablt in PVE  (no chance against a crit trait though).  More Deadeye buffs are lovely, I feel that I'll have a blast on my Rifle / Dagger build.

Shadow Meld change in PvP/WvW is justified but still questionable. Purity of Purpose is a very fair point, but I've always considered this skill as a Rule-breaker. Deadeye is THE stealth spec for thief, and having its elite skill actually counter its biggest weakness made a lot of sense to me both thematically and functionally. You guys are not shy of breaking the rules when it makes sense, and I feel it's exactly the case! As a nice compromise, Shadow Meld can EITHER give stealth or remove Revealed if it's present.

Oh and while we're at it, may I ask for some QOL around Stealth and Revealed? When playing Deadeye in high-pressure PVE can be hard to keep tabs on Revealed uptime and wasting a Stealth ability into it can be very punishing. If Revealed and Stealth had more visible telegraphs (think screen tints) or Stealth skills were unusable / refunded when cast into Revealed, it'd help less experienced thief players like me tremendously.

P. S. More Might and Protection on Specter is amazing, I've been asking for it for quite a while!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

A lot of the traits that used to reduce cooldowns now feel a bit underwhelming in my opinion, but i like that direction, as otherwise it feels really bad to not pick those traits up and similarly it'd feel bad not to use those utilities.

Signets of power for example seems iffy to pick just for 1 initiative when using signets (which we usually would try not to use), same with manipulations giving aegis, cool effect but super niche.

For thief i hoped to see some buff to scorpion wire too alongside the other tricks as it doesn't really see much use.

Daredevil having steal makes it core thief but better, swipe was originally added as a way to give it a tradeoff by losing range, i would've just removed the unblockable instead.

I'm not sure if the shadow meld change is for the better, while yes it does counteract the main counterplay to stealth it's also an otherwise tame effect for an elite skill and made a lot of sense for it to break that rule.

Personally my biggest gripe with thief is how mandatory picking trickery feels in most builds between the added initiative limit and reduced recharge on steal, i'd love to see a few touches in that regard next time.

For bladesword i think having projectiles on skill 1, 2 and 3 means projectile reflects will be extremely punishing, i'd perhaps keep the first skill melee only (bit odd to have projectiles pop out of nowhere while swinging it around).

In general i like the notes a lot, i'm sure other players have more insightful comments on the rest!

Edited by ButterOfDeath.2873
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Cekay.2614 said:

Am i the only that is kinda dissapointed by the Engineer changes?

Dont get me wrong, i'm happy for bugfixes but i kinda expected a bit "more"?

- What about Engineer turrets? They dont see much play since forever either...

- Same with the kits, grenade kit is the only one that is being used (and medkit if you are a support/heal, but what about mechanist and medkit? i have no selfheal on mechanist with medkit! F1 is missing))

- The Flamethrower kit autoattack does near no damage and trying to blast my firewall field (skill #4) with skill #2 works only 50% of the time.

- I really miss the old core pianist playstyle with 3 kits and your weapon set, good times 🙂

- The Tools traitline could really use a second look and some changes to make it a more desirable pick

- Any plans on finally letting us customize our Mech? having 2 or more mechanists in your party makes it pretty difficult to actually see what your Mech is doing and where exactly it is. (A few different models and being able to use dye's on them would go a long way!)

- What about the Underwater issue for Mechanist? half of my traits simply straight up dont work as soon as i enter any body of water...which is, suboptimal to say the least...

I am sad as well.  The only piano playstyle that is available for elite specs is condi Holo(3 kits +1 kit with forge).  I already have a post asking for buffs.  Condi Holo is as bad as Power Dragonhunter.  I hate dwelling on benchmarks but all 3 websites that post benchmarks/meta dont even have Condi Holosmith on the sites anymore LOL.  Holosmith is like deadeye/weaver.... all it brings is damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding PvE Willbender
The change to virtues not replacing each other was not something I was expecting, and it sounds like a fun change, however:

It feels really bad to be forced to take 2 different GM traits JUST to have the possibility to give party wide alac when hitting something. We're already losing out on Tyrant's Momentum by traiting Phoenix Protocol

Condi Alac loses access to Permeating Wrath, however, now they can have Justice active while pumping alac.

The big problem is Power Alac being completely locked out of Radiance just because Battle Presence is a requirement to share alac.

And while I'm on the topic of Phoenix Protocol, the healing increase from Absolute Resolve just evaporates if PP is traited. The regen that PP replaces the healing with, does NOT get buffed by Absolute Resolve. Which means if you have PP traited, AR is simply a 3 condi removal each 20 sec (alac not included)

Holy Reckoning is a pretty useless trait, every Willy build uses Restorative Virtues, yes, even the heal build, the only exception is power Willy with no external resolution source, in which case, Vanguard Tactics;  and compared to Firebrand, Willy has difficulties providing might. 

To keep Battle Presence from being completely dead, my proposal is to be able to share at least the might from Holy Reckoning through it, and of course, reduce the duration of said might in that case.

TL;DR

Ranked in order

• Remove the requirement for 2 Grandmaster traits just to share alac, we're already forced to hit something to generate it
  • Fix the interaction between Phoenix Protocol & Absolute Resolve
  • Make the might from Holy Reckoning sharable somehow (maybe through Battle Presence, to keep it from being a dead trait if the requirement for alac is removed)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ButterOfDeath.2873 said:

For thief i hoped to see some buff to scorpion wire too alongside the other tricks as it doesn't really see much use.

Yeah idk about that one buddy, two charges is probably fine.

4 minutes ago, ButterOfDeath.2873 said:

I'm not sure if the shadow meld change is for the better, while yes it does counteract the main counterplay to stealth it's also an otherwise tame effect for an elite skill and made a lot of sense for it to break that rule.

Well it's not as bad as Stealth Gyro.

• Like 1

I think the changes to cantrips for ele are good but I'm afraid that they will serve too well cata.

The problem with cata is the easy access to stab + stats + auras. That's why FA is working well on this spec and not on core or weaver (that should have more DPS)

Also dragon tooth targeting and water trident damage are the problem on sceptre in my opinion .

Side note when HoT was in beta rebound was giving some kid or alac and it was removed because on ele it was too strong, I think the cata ulti has the same problem, on a class with 20 baseline skills having the chance to reset 5 of them is a bot overturned, maybe change is to reduce of x seconds the cooldown?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I'm going to continue to push for a meaningful change to Warrior/Berserker for PvE. Despite being a class that's thematically and mechanically designed from the ground up to be a raw damage dealer and nothing else, it's severely underperforming in damage output even compared to the other two specs; there's some irony in Spellbreaker using the Defense trait to produce higher damage output than Berserker

Over the last few months, there we changes made to how the Headbutt/Outrage chain works, and how F1 and F2 are handled, but they were ultimately arbitrary tweaks to the mechanics of these that didn't actually make any change to damage or gameplay. We're sometimes seeing traits and weapons adjusted that we don't use, and that's about it...

All it needs is for Bloody Roar to have a higher multiplier. Others have done the math, but bringing it to ~33% would make Berserker comparable to other specs, AND the berserker time extensions provided by Rage skills have already been reduced over the last few patches. 

Please, ANet, it's such a simple change that would let us play an otherwise brilliantly designed class that's extremely fun and has a very linear skill-to-reward scale. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tharan.9085 said:

Man you are bad at math

That was just a guess since the number of Weave Self's  increased strike damage  wasn't given. Read the notes again but slowly this time. Lets assume its as high as the condition damage number which is 20% then Im probably right.

Edited by Omg Im Target.3095
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just going to list out some thoughts on the pvp side of things.

Ele: The staff support changes are nice, though I wish they had taken a look at the offensive side of the weapon. I'll miss the cooldown reduction on lightning flash and mist form. It feels like FA Cata got off far too easy, Scepter is still pretty insane. Maybe the deploy cd will be enough to slow them down but the quickness burst they're able to put out is far too great.

Engineer: Always love to see a pistol buff. Scrapper getting back Rapid Regen is amazing and is the best thing about this patch. Making Mechanical Genius less awful is always great.

Guardian: Terrified to see Whirling Wrath without movement penalty, I don't expect it to stay untouched. Hammer getting it's identity back is great and everything changed is a positive. Dragon hunter is already pretty obnoxious and buffing their virtues is going to make that even more so. Hunter's Determination is pretty cool though. Happy to see Firebrand still getting worked on in pvp, at least burn FB will be good. Will bender virtues stacking is uh... very nice quality of life but probably very broken, especially courage + resolve.

Mesmer: Mantras coming back is fantastic. I wish more crappy phantasm talents get rolled together there's a lot of them. Cooldown reductions good. Would love to see more condition removal options outside of Inspiration. Bunker Well Chrono is going to be extremely strong this patch.

Necromancer: I love dagger, so getting some extra functionality is great. Might even make quickening thirst useful. Also love to see reaper shout buffs, Blighter's boon buff is nice but i'm not sure anyone will ever pick anything besides Reaper's onslaught.

Ranger: Wow, probably got the best changes this time around. Druid is going to absolutely be a nightmare this patch. It's been so long since signets have been useable, great to see them touched up. Soul beast getting help in the condition department is lovely, especially since Untamed kind of stole their role in the power department. Also thank god that Untamed blink has a cast time, the burst was so cheesy and unreactive.

Revenant: It's nice to see Renegade buffs, but I think it's a real shame that their legend stance is nearly unusable in pvp. Vindicator seems like such a pain to balance, I hate to see the chill go from their dodge since it's one of the few things that Mallyx could interact with. A shame Herald didn't get some alacrity adjustments as well.

Thief: I don't think i've seen anyone try Crit Strikes in pvp for the longest time, and while I would love to see some build variety, Signets of power is probably still going to not be seen for a very long time. The change to trickster might get a few people to run trick builds, but bountiful theft just remains the general best choice. Rip swipe, you won't be missed. Happy to see Shadow Meld finally nerfed. Specter still feels very weird after the shadow force nerf, trickery remains the glue that keeps thief functional.

Warrior: Mace really needs a purpose, it exists and yet does almost nothing (good for Berserk i guess). Happy to see Stances and Signets get unnerfed, the days of stance only warriors has long been over. Berserker getting some touch ups is great, but im actually really sad to see Eternal Champion get changed. I suppose the new functionality is generally better, but you could really get some crazy might healing from it. Spellbreaker rip bozo not sad to see you go. Ugh, and everyone will switch back to Bladesworn. Giving them range (I'm not certain how far the range is, but it seems pretty substantial) is going to be very frustrating. The class already has good movement capabilities and is probably going to need to be reduced in range or damage.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Revenant feedback: 

Imperial Impact: The attack from this trait no longer inflicts chill in PvP and WvW. Reduced power coefficient from 0.625 to 0.5 in PvP only

While I think the coefficient change makes sense, I am a little sad to see the chill removed, as it allowed for an interesting condi playstyle (with traits that interact with chill and Mallyx in general). 

Such changes that reduce build diversity generally make me sad, so I'd like to see that part of the change dropped, or the build somehow preserved in a different way. 

Thank you for posting all of these, I find the early feedback opportunity very good! 

Edited by Diruuo.6314
clarification and fixed editing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
  • Signets of Power: This trait has been reworked. It now causes signet skills to grant initiative when activated.

For the love of all holy gods, please tell me that's on top of what it already does, and not instead? Because if Signet of Shadows loses stealth on kill, I'm finally once and for all done with my Thief characters.

Also, all those Elementalist changes and still not the one that gets asked for the most: can we please have Glyph of Minor Elementals turned into an ammunition power, so that we can get all of our pets back after coming out of the water, or dismounting, or zoning? If not, why the heck not?

Edited by InfamousBrad.5879
  • Like 1

These are the Deadeye changes nobody asked for tbh, at this point the only useful & worth DE skill to  keep is "Mercy" yet i'm afraid it will be next to be doomed. Only purpose for "Shadow Meld" nowdays was to remove revealed not to get one shoted by a ranger for example. It's such a shame since DE will never compare to other specs at PvE and now it's also getting vanished from PvP & WvW, you know it's tiring seeing ppl trying out DE's and having such a bad impression on a meta full of shields, reflectives, invulnerability, blah blah. There are still some good DE's around, not me for sure but soon they might find out their roaming spec will soon end up on the same state as chronomancer. It's either core thief or quit PvP modes 😕 cause certainly DE will no longer be a safe option with so much reveal jeje for that u should have simply deleted stealth from the equation dude. Awful change in my opinion, hope other folks got it better with their specs 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3