Weapons related question

Axl.8924

Question 1:Why are so many weapons clunky on warr? played core warr heard that a lot of weapons are terrible even dagger was mentioned as being awful.

Question 2:Would you get rid of a lot of weapons if their use is either nill to none? What weapon would you get rid of?

Question 3: What weapons would you keep/Why?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A1: A lot of warrior weapons never got a repolish since launch, outside of just buffing numbers. Warhorn probably received the most significant polish in recent memory. Rifle was given ammo on 2-4, but then they havled the damage on them so it it was a net neutral when it really needed a buff. They made one skill explosive shell but its a /meh aoe. LB in PvE got some nice changes, but Arcing Arrow, F1, and Fan of Fire are all holding it back skill. Honestly, I think the devs are afraid of letting warrior finally play smoothly and add unnecessary windups, unnecessarily weak damage numbers on ranged weapons, and unnecessarily slow projectiles.

A2: NO! I would rework and polish them until they each had their use and niche and were great at them. Caveat... I would get rid of OH melee pistol and move it to the MH and be ranged.

A3: See A2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

: A lot of warrior weapons never got a repolish since launch, outside of just buffing numbers. Warhorn probably received the most significant polish in recent memory. Rifle was given ammo on 2-4, but then they havled the damage on them so it it was a net neutral when it really needed a buff. They made one skill explosive shell but its a /meh aoe. LB in PvE got some nice changes, but Arcing Arrow, F1, and Fan of Fire are all holding it back skill. Honestly, I think the devs are afraid of letting warrior finally play smoothly and add unnecessary windups, unnecessarily weak damage numbers on ranged weapons, and unnecessarily slow projectiles.

LB REALLY needs a looking at. I think it's meant to be some sort of Siege weapon where you keep your distance and in general just put down cover fire but that's exactly its problem because Warrior kinda doesn't do that kinda stuff. Rifle is similarly weird because it tries to do the whole ranged thing but it's really not feasible to warrior combat. I mean heck, it even has a melee range CC skill probably intended to create space. I could close one eye and mistake it for a Ranger's weapon. 

I'm not even kidding: Thief's P/P kit is exactly what I'll expect for a Warrior. Soft CC and strong DPS burst with decent sustained damage. 

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

A1: A lot of warrior weapons never got a repolish since launch, outside of just buffing numbers. Warhorn probably received the most significant polish in recent memory. Rifle was given ammo on 2-4, but then they havled the damage on them so it it was a net neutral when it really needed a buff. They made one skill explosive shell but its a /meh aoe. LB in PvE got some nice changes, but Arcing Arrow, F1, and Fan of Fire are all holding it back skill. Honestly, I think the devs are afraid of letting warrior finally play smoothly and add unnecessary windups, unnecessarily weak damage numbers on ranged weapons, and unnecessarily slow projectiles.

A2: NO! I would rework and polish them until they each had their use and niche and were great at them. Caveat... I would get rid of OH melee pistol and move it to the MH and be ranged.

A3: See A2.

Answer 3 is then:

How would you envision each weapon?

Start with hammer what situation should it shine in pve?

Should it shine in SPVP/WVW? should it be exlcusively pve or pvp/WVW?

Dagger has a vision it adds sustain i guess 

Whats up with sword btw? is it a mixture of fast CC weapon? it has some mixture of condi and CC.

Is sword exclusively a condi weap?

Edited by Axl.8924
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Yasai.3549 said:

LB REALLY needs a looking at. I think it's meant to be some sort of Siege weapon where you keep your distance and in general just put down cover fire but that's exactly its problem because Warrior kinda doesn't do that kinda stuff. Rifle is similarly weird because it tries to do the whole ranged thing but it's really not feasible to warrior combat. I mean heck, it even has a melee range CC skill probably intended to create space. I could close one eye and mistake it for a Ranger's weapon. 

Here is what I would do for LB given the direction they have been taking it:

AA: Speed up the projectiles by at least 25%. Make the traited burn stacks baseline
LB2: Replace Fan of Fire with Rain of Fire. Rain of Fire fires 10 arrows in a line, each arrow burns for 4s/2s (Pve/Comp) 8s CD, 2s Channel
LB3: Increase the projectile speed by 50%, just remove the 'slow' RP aspect of it. Port the burn to PvP/WvW.
LB4: Port the daze to PvP/WvW
Core F1: Make it pulse every second rather than every 3s, with the same max duration.

For Rifle I would just double the damage on AA, R3, and R4 in competitive, I'd add 25% damage to both F1s, all modes. R2 I'd halve the channel time, all modes. In PvE I'd increase the damage on AA, R3 and R4 by 50% instead of double.

• Like 2

personally, as clunky as they were, the weapons used to be usable, and only a short polish and tweak away from being viable and competitive. but instead of getting support they were gutted over years of some nonsensically bad changes, even with the fact that those weapons were mostly underused/unused. then neglected and left to rot.

this is also not a warrior exclusive problem, but warrior probably has the most of it among all 9 classes. at least that's my analysis after playing with the other 8.

it is what it is, and its not really in our hands. i've always stuck with it thinking that sooner or later the problems will eventually get worked on. but clearly after a decade this really isn't the case.

in recent balance announcements they declared they'd be working on uplifting useless and underused skills into usability, we can only hope they follow through. i personally wish they follow through. it remains to be seen.

in balance there will always be a best in slot, always be a build, class or skill that stands out above others, but if they can hammer the gap and bring the power of things closer to each other, it would truly be ideal, and really help the overall quality of the game.

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

Question 1:Why are so many weapons clunky on warr? played core warr heard that a lot of weapons are terrible even dagger was mentioned as being awful.

this question should be directed at the devs not the players. 🙂

Question 2:Would you get rid of a lot of weapons if their use is either nill to none? What weapon would you get rid of?

if its in the direction the devs plan to take, then yes, drastic changes have been made in games before, some to positively great effect, while others to catastrophically disastrous outcome.

in my personal opinion, they should be kept and worked on.

Question 3: What weapons would you keep/Why?

all of them, as far as warrior is concerned, it used to be the case that these weapons may not have been best in slot or were underused, but they were viable.

from a player standpoint, more viable options, is always a good thing, it opens the door to diversity and more dynamic gameplay. things become unpredictable, you can mix it up, it keeps the game fresh and exciting. even if you mono-class.

i feel the balance team has heavily stagnated, and has failed to deliver this, from an absolutely wonderfully designed base game.

i'm sure there are reasons for this, workload, resources, direction, marketing, etc.. it reflects on the end product.

every other player i've talked to about it sees the immensely great potential of gw2 to be so much more, and we still do to this day.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Here is what I would do for LB given the direction they have been taking it:

AA: Speed up the projectiles by at least 25%. Make the traited burn stacks baseline
LB2: Replace Fan of Fire with Rain of Fire. Rain of Fire fires 10 arrows in a line, each arrow burns for 4s/2s (Pve/Comp) 8s CD, 2s Channel
LB3: Increase the projectile speed by 50%, just remove the 'slow' RP aspect of it. Port the burn to PvP/WvW.
LB4: Port the daze to PvP/WvW
Core F1: Make it pulse every second rather than every 3s, with the same max duration.

For Rifle I would just double the damage on AA, R3, and R4 in competitive, I'd add 25% damage to both F1s, all modes. R2 I'd halve the channel time, all modes. In PvE I'd increase the damage on AA, R3 and R4 by 50% instead of double.

I actually have ideas that take it in other directions lol.

Since they added the Explosive property to LB 3 and LB4, I thought perhaps they should have just went all-in on the Longbow being thematically "Shooting exploding arrows" like Rambo lol. 

Dual shot > Explosive shot (hits a target and explodes in a small AoE like Rene SB 1. Projectile Finisher) 

Fan of Fire > Explosive exit (Launches player backward, launches enemies, explodes, Blast Finisher)

Arcing Shot > Same

Smoldering Shot > Same 

Pin Down > Flashbang (stun and explodes in tiny AoE)
Burst > Same 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

I actually have ideas that take it in other directions lol.

Since they added the Explosive property to LB 3 and LB4, I thought perhaps they should have just went all-in on the Longbow being thematically "Shooting exploding arrows" like Rambo lol. 

Dual shot > Explosive shot (hits a target and explodes in a small AoE like Rene SB 1. Projectile Finisher) 

Fan of Fire > Explosive exit (Launches player backward, launches enemies, explodes, Blast Finisher)

Arcing Shot > Same

Smoldering Shot > Same 

Pin Down > Flashbang (stun and explodes in tiny AoE)
Burst > Same 

I'd rather them add explosion based traits to Arms before doing that, but I'd be happy with it sans the self luanch back.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'd rather them add explosion based traits to Arms before doing that, but I'd be happy with it sans the self luanch back.

Right?
Anet > LETS ADD EXPLOSIVES TO CORE WEAPONS
Also Anet > LETS ONLY HAVE EXPLOSIVE TRAITS IN BSW 

Me: ?????????????????????????????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Right?
Anet > LETS ADD EXPLOSIVES TO CORE WEAPONS
Also Anet > LETS ONLY HAVE EXPLOSIVE TRAITS IN BSW 

Me: ?????????????????????????????

And to think I got flak for bringing that up before... What grinds me gears even more is that they made only a single trait on BSW to gain a benefit from explosions.

• Haha 1

All the warrior's weapons are different and offer something, but Anet seems to have lost his sense of balance, they seem quite far from his game and what they say and it goes without saying that the people who gave meaning to these weapons and the balance of the game are no longer there, if not, you wouldn't have so many pointless changes that just ruin what the game was.

• Thanks 1