Mesmer Feb 3 preview

Infusion.7149

1 minute ago, Mell.4873 said:

That is very popular though, I have seen many Chronomancer players port small organised Zergs into unsuspecting victims (normally myself).

I mean it is fun, no doubt. But you would probably have to be in a WvW guild with regular raids to get to do that. Don't see advanced tactics like this used much by open tags. And most players are probably pugs.

1 hour ago, Mell.4873 said:

Have you ever operated siege equipment in WvW, Chronomancer is about the only Elite that reliably provide Alacrity to them to speed up their cooldowns. 

Also have you never stacked before Engagement? Sure the final pulse is hard to land but the Alacrity is fine. 

Do you know you waste all you skills and utility to provide alac as chrono.

Do you also know that tempest just only needs to do their overload and bang your sieges have alac.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

Do you know you waste all you skills and utility to provide alac as chrono.

Do you also know that tempest just only needs to do their overload and bang your sieges have alac.

You can provide the Alacrity from ranged with Chronomancer much like Renegade and I guess Mechanist in certain circumstances. 

Its just all round better since its one utility slot for 5+ seconds of Alacrity. Means you could maintain it as people move in and out of the area, rather than trying to time a once use skill. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, Mell.4873 said:

You can provide the Alacrity from ranged with Chronomancer much like Renegade and I guess Mechanist in certain circumstances. 

Its just all round better since its one utility slot for 5+ seconds of Alacrity. Means you could maintain it as people move in and out of the area, rather than trying to time a once use skill. 

Yeah, except Tempest needs not waste a single utility slot nor stats investment to maintain perma alac. 

Also don't shift your argument to mobile combat scenarios when we are talking about alac on siege (which you started btws) 

Edited by Varis.5467
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Varis.5467 said:

Yeah, except Tempest needs not waste a single utility slot nor stats investment to maintain perma alac. 

Also don't shift your argument to mobile combat scenarios when we are talking about alac on siege (which you started btws) 

True I mean it's just another option I'm sure tempest under the right circumstances is better. Honestly I barely see anyone play Tempest that way, I guess Chronomancer is more obvious with its boon application. 

• Confused 8

2 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

True I mean it's just another option I'm sure tempest under the right circumstances is better. Honestly I barely see anyone play Tempest that way, I guess Chronomancer is more obvious with its boon application. 

I just want to know; do you speak from experience in an organised and competitive wvw setting? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Varis.5467 said:

I just want to know; do you speak from experience in an organised and competitive wvw setting? 

Both, I mean when I run with guild members we use different strategies, but during Pug Zergs I often see people placing Wells on my siege equipment.

It's very helpful. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5

Both, I mean when I run with guild members we use different strategies, but during Pug Zergs I often see people placing Wells on my siege equipment.

It's very helpful. 

So in other words, not very organised. 

I have no further question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Varis.5467 said:

So in other words, not very organised. 

I have no further question. 

Okay? I play on a low pop Server so my wife could transfer. That and I play at low pop time (timezone issue). 

The best I can do is play with 4 to 10 people inside an Organised/Pug Zerg. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Okay? I play on a low pop Server so my wife could transfer. That and I play at low pop time (timezone issue). 

The best I cam do is play with 4 to 10 people inside an Organised/Pug Zerg. 

Thanks for putting things into perspective for a lot of us. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

Tempest doesn't alac in WvW unless you are ktraining or something (swap to alac trait for ram/catas), you run Elemental Bastion or auras don't heal. With the previewed changes people may run staff more often due to stability on transmute magnetic aura (outside of desieging with gear swaps).

see https://gw2mists.com/builds/elementalist/cleanse-tempest

Chrono runs well trait in WvW for alac not because it is good but because shattering clones that die instantly in largescale isnt feasible.

see https://gw2mists.com/builds/mesmer/support-chronomancer

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Tempest doesn't alac in WvW unless you are ktraining or something (swap to alac trait for ram/catas), you run Elemental Bastion or auras don't heal. With the previewed changes people may run staff more often due to stability on transmute magnetic aura (outside of desieging with gear swaps).

see https://gw2mists.com/builds/elementalist/cleanse-tempest

Chrono runs well trait in WvW for alac not because it is good but because shattering clones that die instantly in largescale isnt feasible.

see https://gw2mists.com/builds/mesmer/support-chronomancer

Perfect analysis, pretty much what I have observed from other players. When I do try and play with organised people they often request these types or roles too.

Normally I play a Heal Druid variant with Celestial armor and 100% Bleed duration. Root and Bleed the tail of the Zerg. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 2

Not a fan of the time warp change. The cooldown reduction is good and there is the possibility of using it alongside alac chrono for a variety of things - initial engagement in WvW.. speeding up yaks.. speeding up npcs in PvE, etc

Still prefer the quickness which was far more useful in WvW alongside the enemy slow. Chill is a really bad change - basically giving the enemies alacrity and its not a huge debuff large scale.

I sometimes would drop well of gravity while commanding instead for time warp depending on my group composition. After these changes I don't see myself using it ever again while tagged. 

1 hour ago, Strider.7849 said:

Not a fan of the time warp change. The cooldown reduction is good and there is the possibility of using it alongside alac chrono for a variety of things - initial engagement in WvW.. speeding up yaks.. speeding up npcs in PvE, etc

Still prefer the quickness which was far more useful in WvW alongside the enemy slow. Chill is a really bad change - basically giving the enemies alacrity and its not a huge debuff large scale.

I sometimes would drop well of gravity while commanding instead for time warp depending on my group composition. After these changes I don't see myself using it ever again while tagged. 

Listening to the Twitch stream, Time Warp isn't losing quickness and slow - it'll now apply quickness, slow, superspeed and chill, so this is a straight buff - at least before one factors in condition conversion to boons.

• Like 3

Just now, Jijimuge.4675 said:

Listening to the Twitch stream, Time Warp isn't losing quickness and slow - it'll now apply quickness, slow, superspeed and chill, so this is a straight buff - at least before one factors in condition conversion to boons.

Oh wow, okay that's good to hear. 

3 hours ago, Strider.7849 said:

Oh wow, okay that's good to hear. 

To allies it will apply:
Quickness
Superspeed
Resistance (traited)
More superspeed???(traited)

To Enemies:
Slow
Chill

Radius: 360 (this is huge)
Duration 5s (6s traited)

It's going to be super annoying in PvP to fight in, basically you move, cast and recharge slow and your enemies do everything but recharge skills faster. It will essentially become a cast on node and the enemy either dies or gives up the node. This is why I'm concerned this is nerf bait. WvW has so much boon and cleanse spam it will make no difference.

As an aside they nerfed temporal enchanter, used to extend glamours by 2s. They just cannot give out the old stuff without nerfing it but when it comes to other classes...

Edited by apharma.3741
Corrected duration.
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, apharma.3741 said:

To allies it will apply:
Quickness
Superspeed
Resistance (traited)
More superspeed???(traited)

To Enemies:
Slow
Chill

Radius: 360 (this is huge)
Duration 10s (11s traited)

It's going to be super annoying in PvP to fight in, basically you move, cast and recharge slow and your enemies do everything but recharge skills faster. It will essentially become a cast on node and the enemy either dies or gives up the node. This is why I'm concerned this is nerf bait. WvW has so much boon and cleanse spam it will make no difference.

As an aside they nerfed temporal enchanter, used to extend glamours by 2s. They just cannot give out the old stuff without nerfing it but when it comes to other classes...

ELEVEN SECONDS LMAO....

Thought they reduced time warp to 5 seconds or something. I cannot believe this new time warp will last a week.

59 minutes ago, Justine.6351 said:

ELEVEN SECONDS LMAO....

Thought they reduced time warp to 5 seconds or something. I cannot believe this new time warp will last a week.

No you're right, it's 5s, I forgot they nerfed it because of Chrono and I honestly haven't used it in years due to it being so bad.
You know I think we should create a list of skills and traits that were nerfed because of chrono...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Chrono

• Well of Action - might and fury on final pulse and not just superspeed   <-- still backloaded...
  • Well of Senility - now dazes

Well, well, well... What is this? I really thought wells were being saved for a rainy update, but this wasn't what I had in mind. Chrono is meant to be a provider of boons and hinderer of enemies. I liked that Well of Action provides some boons now. And I guess the daze of Senility kind of hinders enemies... if they stay on the well for 3 seconds, I'm not sure any enemy player is going to stay put, although I guess in pve we will use our insight into the future to guess when a break bar is going to appear.

The design of wells gives too much weight to the final pulse. If that's not going to change, maybe it's time to go back to the starting point. I think it's ok for a Chrono to give 100% Alac (Stretched time) and a bit of quickness (Time warp & Well of Action) or 100% Quick (Seize the moment) with a bit of alac (Well of Recall). Thematically, I'd keep the quickness, but I understand that adding Time Split into the mix makes this combo very dangerous.

Therefore, I'd propose to make Well of Action provide Fury and Stab on its final pulse, instead of the superspeed, and to go back to Well of Recall for extra Alac or (if that's still too risky due to time split and mimic) give Resistance to Senility (it's like you are forgetting you got conditions), instead of the daze. Finally, update All's well that ends well to give might as well as or instead of healing on the last pulse (depending on might stacks).

PS: This was very hard to write, as I found out my logic was flawed and ended up changing my initial ideas, so if anyone has some input into a better way to make wells (and alacdps chrono) fun to use feel free to share!

Edited by Uete.3805
Added PS

The thing that bothers me most is how often going round in circles with what appear to be either changes for the sake of changes, or unclear direction, or flip flopping back and forth between ideas.

And then stuff that really needs the work is done with the most surface level patch job (distortion on virtuoso...) because quite frankly pointless stuff is prioritised (well of senility name change for example).

I mean we're here going yay decoy and mirror images get cool down reduction, but how much work is it to reduce these numbers that should have been done years ago?

I have no idea what the end goal is (saying that as a process not a finite state).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Curunen.8729 said:

The thing that bothers me most is how often going round in circles with what appear to be either changes for the sake of changes, or unclear direction, or flip flopping back and forth between ideas.

And then stuff that really needs the work is done with the most surface level patch job (distortion on virtuoso...) because quite frankly pointless stuff is prioritised (well of senility name change for example).

I mean we're here going yay decoy and mirror images get cool down reduction, but how much work is it to reduce these numbers that should have been done years ago?

I have no idea what the end goal is (saying that as a process not a finite state).

I assume that other professions also have this happen but, maining Mesmer for long enough it is really easy to see what has happened.  Anet's Prof team identify something that either needs to be or they want to change, then apply that change without considering the wider application.  Mantras were changed twice because of Guardian QoL, nothing to do with Mesmer.  Distortion was added to Virtuoso only because it was added to Chrono, nothing to do with Virtuoso.

Then they say nonsense like 'we don't see many players using some Chrono Wells so we added a couple things to two of them'.  Do they see anyone playing Chrono let alone Chrono Wells at all?  What are these mythical builds which care about these wells?

I'd wager the goal for Anet is to keep pushing out these updates and allow Mesmer to continue to suffer their poor decision making.  Beyond the publicly known disdain the Anet developers have for Mesmers and the Mesmer community, I would anticipate they will do as little as possible for Mesmer, specifically Chrono and Mirage, towards creating Meta builds that can compete in multiple game modes.

I can't even suggest Hopium in the form of a forthcoming major rework to Mirage/Mesmer.  It isn't going to happen, the team doesn't have the resources or care for the player base in general to do such a thing.  Until @Cal Cohen.2358 and his cronies are removed from the Profession Development team, do not expect much of anything for Mesmer.  They have their preferred professions and we keep seeing them invest time into making them work well.

Or prove me wrong Cal, if you are reading this, and show us that you are unbiased in your approach to balancing the professions in this game.  That you don't just slap changes onto Mesmer because you want to change Guardian yet again, or whatever garbage you are pulling next.

TL;DR - There are no goals for Mesmer.  There is no plan for the future of the profession.  This is it, neglected because the developers are idiots.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1