Can we please have a Martial Arts class...

August.5934

Hello guys, Anet

I don't know why but any class i play makes me feel like i am not for them... In many MMO i have mostly played Martial Arts class that does nothing but punching and kicking and looking cool. I don't wanna be powerful cause of some kind of weapons, I wanna draw-out my own power and using my fist and legs as a weapon itself. More like Striker and Mystic from Black Desert Online.

| Example video:

Class release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YyQ2Z0Oo10

Classs Awakening-release trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHJL57fSX0

--------------------------------------------------------[EDIT]-----------------------------------------------------------------

Humm, if i have to think of a martial Arts class/elite spec to suit GW2 playstyle then this are my thoughts: 

1) Martial Arts class is usally tanky.

2) They are extreamly melee so 0 range atk skills.

3) because they are extreamly melee, Martial Arts class have very fast movement speed and consistent heals and strike damage.

4) Martials Arts class usally work around Chi-point or any counter which means after they have certain amount of chi-points then they thier's one skill becomes active which deals very high damage in big AOE that is nearly impossible to block.

5) Martial's Arts skills are focused on CC'ing target by keeping them in place while doing consistent damage.

Putting this 5 points in GW2 playstyle.

• -Weapon: focus x2 (Main hand & off hand)
  • -Class: Warrior (has no focus weapons, is tanky, has a brawler aggrassive playstyle).
  • -elite spec main boons: Swiftness, protections, Resolution, Regeneration, Might. 
  • -Elite skill from utility skill bar: grants stability or Agis.

OR

Release a New martial Arts class? it's been 8 years since we had a new class after all 🙂 

I know the Anet does a great work at designing a class skills animations but i still want to give my thoughts.

Focus weapon x 2.

https://postimg.cc/bGSKmG25

Edited by August.5934
new idea.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

A martial arts class as you describe them simply doesn't mesh well with how weapons and skills are handled in this game.

Any hand to hand combat will basically just come from utility skills, like the physical skills for daredevil (which might be the elite spec that comes closest to what you have in mind).

In GW2, the weapon you are carrying is determining some of your skills. Having an unarmed class makes no sense in that context. Especially since weapons are also holding stats, so passing up on a weapon means that you will also have less stats than if you are taking a weapon.

So an elite spec that has some utility skills which give them martial arts techniques will be possible, already happened with daredevil as mentioned and maybe they will add more. But a class completely foregoing a weapon and just fighting with bare fists is as good as ruled out.

• Like 1

Your best hope would be a a Dual Focus melee elite specialization for Thief, Warrior, Revenant or Ranger.

But I doubt such a thing will ever happen and I definitely do not want such a thing for Warrior. Warrior already has more than enough melee dps specializations.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

A martial arts class as you describe them simply doesn't mesh well with how weapons and skills are handled in this game.

Any hand to hand combat will basically just come from utility skills, like the physical skills for daredevil (which might be the elite spec that comes closest to what you have in mind).

In GW2, the weapon you are carrying is determining some of your skills. Having an unarmed class makes no sense in that context. Especially since weapons are also holding stats, so passing up on a weapon means that you will also have less stats than if you are taking a weapon.

So an elite spec that has some utility skills which give them martial arts techniques will be possible, already happened with daredevil as mentioned and maybe they will add more. But a class completely foregoing a weapon and just fighting with bare fists is as good as ruled out.

Maybe they can add cesti, knuckles, and claws to the game when they finally add a proper spear! 😆

On 2/4/2023 at 7:45 PM, August.5934 said:

I don't know why but any class i play makes me feel like i am not for them... In many MMO i have mostly played Martial Arts class that does nothing but punching and kicking and looking cool.

I don't wanna be powerful cause of some kind of weapons, I wanna draw-out my own power and using my fist and legs as a weapon itself.

More like Striker and Mystic from Black Desert Online...(I barely even play BDO this days of devs kitten balancing and bugs/desyncs everywhere in game, not to mention the one shot meta).

Class release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YyQ2Z0Oo10

Classs Awakening-release trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHJL57fSX0

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/d4/dc/0cd4dc3e81a0b98a88ffce740d0b1727.jpg

https://wallpaperaccess.com/full/437770.jpg

https://c.wallhere.com/photos/2e/18/martial_arts_men-287203.jpg!d

https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/888/699/689/actors-bruce-lee-martial-arts-wallpaper-preview.jpg

The closest we have now is probably harbinger necro, in shroud.  Looks a bit like kung fu / tai chi with energy blasts.

29 minutes ago, montecristo.1324 said:

Another idea is to put something like a staff on war and then all the abilities animations are only fists and kicks and the staff remain sheathed 

Not on Warrior. Warrior does not need yet another melee power specialization. Warrior already has three of those.

23 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Not on Warrior. Warrior does not need yet another melee power specialization. Warrior already has three of those.

Warrior desperately needs support oriented specs, melee or otherwise. 

A Monk would definitely fit the bill, using either MH focus or OH focus as a "fist" 

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Warrior desperately needs support oriented specs, melee or otherwise. 

A Monk would definitely fit the bill, using either MH focus or OH focus as a "fist" 

A Paragon would definitely fit the bill better. In GW1, it's been a ranged Warrior with supportive capabilities.

It could use Sceptre as a thrown weapon, like Spear in GW1. There already are multiple spear-like Sceptre skins and Spear throw animations also already exist.

And it's an easy way out for them not having design something completely new. The last time they tried doing that, Warrior got something that feels like it had originally been designed for Engineer first and than merely shoe-horned into Warrior.

47 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It could use Sceptre as a thrown weapon, like Spear in GW1. There already are multiple spear-like Sceptre skins and Spear throw animations also already exist.

Most likely gonna have a Staff as a Javelin/Spear 😛 

48 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And it's an easy way out for them not having design something completely new. The last time they tried doing that, Warrior got something that feels like it had originally been designed for Engineer first and than merely shoe-horned into Warrior.

You mean Harbinger. Harbinger is like 0% Necro, 100% a drunk Engi who decided they were sick of gadgets and oil stains and fully embraced their Elixir chugging playstyle. 

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

You mean Harbinger. Harbinger is like 0% Necro, 100% a drunk Engi who decided they were sick of gadgets and oil stains and fully embraced their Elixir chugging playstyle.

Harmbinger and Junksworn.

But Harmbinger at least remains tangentially related to Death Magic.

Junksworn is just 99% Engineer and 1% bad movie trope.

Edited by Fueki.4753

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But Harmbinger at least remains tangentially related to Death Magic.

Junksworn is just 99% Engineer and 1% bad movie trope.

I'd argue that Harbinged is 99% bad Spaghetti Western, 1% actual Necro. 
At least BSW has very "samurai" sort of feel to it, which is definitely more in line with Warrior than Engineer. 

1 minute ago, Yasai.3549 said:

I'd argue that Harbinged is 99% bad Spaghetti Western, 1% actual Necro. 
At least BSW has very "samurai" sort of feel to it, which is definitely more in line with Warrior than Engineer. 

That's why the 1% bad movie trope I mentioned.

In my opinion, there's 0% Samurai feel and 0% Warrior theme in it. It's just an FF Gunblade, various mechanical gadgets and three adaptions of an unrealistic over-romanticized "technique" that noone in their right mind (as far as warmongers can be in their right minds) would ever use on a battlefield.

6 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

That's why the 1% bad movie trope I mentioned.

In my opinion, there's 0% Samurai feel and 0% Warrior theme in it. It's just an FF Gunblade, various mechanical gadgets and three adaptions of an unrealistic over-romanticized "technique" that noone in their right mind (as far as warmongers can be in their right minds) would ever use on a battlefield.

It is heavily inspired by pop culture, yeah. But the dragon trigger still gave me plenty of a samurai feel as someone who has practiced Iaido for some time.

4 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

It is heavily inspired by pop culture, yeah. But the dragon trigger still gave me plenty of a samurai feel as someone who has practiced Iaido for some time.

But Iai is a sports technique at best, not something that was reasonably used on a battlefield.

Using an over-romanticized sports-technique-turned-movie-trope to justify why an Engineer specialization belongs to Warrior feels like no more than a poor excuse.

32 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Dragon Trigger is what gives it the "Samurai" feel because it feels like a Samurai technique. 
The whole Gun-Blade thing is mostly an aesthetic. 

Binger tho, literally chug and gun. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But Iai is a sports technique at best, not something that was reasonably used on a battlefield.

Using an over-romanticized sports-technique-turned-movie-trope to justify why an Engineer specialization belongs to Warrior feels like no more than a poor excuse.

Here is a fun fact: this is a fantasy game. "Not something that was reasonably used on a battlefield" is absolutely meaningless in this context.

No one was reasonably setting themselves on fire on the battlefield either, yet we have a torch skill on berserker which does that.
No one was reasonably throwing their greatsword at an enemy on the battlefield, expecting it to boomerang back to you afterwards, yet we have a greatsword skill that does that.
No one was slamming the ground with their mace in hope of creating a shockwave that will make your enemy fall 10 meters in front of you.

The list goes on and on. Anet doesn't care if it's realistic for a battlefield scenario. The rule of cool applies and I think many people get a samurai feeling from bladesworn, because what they have given to it is oftenly used for samurai in pop culture, even though it might not be historically accurate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

The rule of cool applies and I think many people get a samurai feeling from bladesworn, because what they have given to it is oftenly used for samurai in pop culture, even though it might not be historically accurate.

Then why didn't they give it to Guardian? When they wanted a pop-fiction fake-samurai feeling elite specialization, Guardian would have been the more fitting choice. Both Guardian and pop-fiction fake-samurai share one common trait that also is Guardian's profession mechanic: Virtue(s). They could still have given it offhand sword instead of the Pistol instead, using Miyamoto Musashi as their reasoning.

It didn't have to be Warrior.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 2