Transitioning into WvW / dueling from PvE, some questions

Friend.2837

Text wall incoming! Main questions are bolded.

Hey all, I've been playing for a year and have gotten pretty familiar with raids / fractals. I've always wanted to get into WvW roaming - the playstyle sounds super fun to me - and have been holding off until I gathered enough resources to gear myself up. Now I've put together some ascended gear and am looking to jump into the fray!

I fell in love with the Weaver spec when I started the game and have been playing the class almost exclusively since. I'm currently running a fire/air sword/dagger Weaver build after reading this thread and tuning the builds suggested there to my own preferences.  I've gotten very comfortable with Weaver in instanced content / open world and have the rotations down to a tee. However fighting players is turning out very differently from fighting NPCs.

I now have two pressing questions.

Firstly, rotations and getting out damage. In PvE playing Weaver is mostly about getting as much value out of your skills as possible, so you generally cycle through fire-earth-fire-air rapidly to get all the damaging cooldowns out ASAP. In open world sometimes you dodge telegraphed attacks, switch into water for a healing combo, or throw out some CC for a breakbar, but then you go right back to spamming fire-earth-fire-air. This makes sense; pyro vortex, cauterizing strike, quantum strike, etc. are all high damaging abilities and those are what tends to get through chunky enemy health bars.

I've been watching a lot of people roam on Weaver and it looks so different - they just run around autoattacking and letting their cooldowns sit way more often than not, then suddenly chain multiple abilities together and the enemy pops instantly. Other times people just die to autoattacks. I'm super confused because in PvP it feels like I can never do damage with people dodging, running away, healing, and using whatever survivability skills their own class has.

Secondly, I have no idea what other classes do. There's classes that go invisible for 80% of the fight and run circles around me, classes that CC me and oneshot me from either melee or 5000 range, classes that dump 50 stacks of condis on me every second. I'm actually OK fighting sustain heavy matchups because I know how to juggle fire aura (important in open world, helps with cleanses against condi classes), and every now and then I win 1v1s where we both whale on each other (I do my rotation faster thanks to super APM sword condi weaver practice 😛), but that's it. I don't know what to dodge, when to heal combo, when to use evades, I just kind of randomly go through attunements and hope it works.

People say you should play the classes you fight, but that sounds super unappealing. There's 3*9 = 27 classes, each with multiple different builds, so just the time investment spent making these characters to learn them is insane.  I also don't know what the builds I play against are to look them up, nor do the build guides online usually give much useful information as to how to actually fight them (only traits / gear / food / blahblahblah). One great way to learn I found is to 1v1 players then talk about the fights afterwards, but that option's obviously not always accessible.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Would also love to make some friends or find a WvW roaming guild to adopt me ^_^. Running around alone and constantly losing fights is depressing.

Edited by Friend.2837
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Friend.2837 changed the title to Transitioning into WvW / dueling from PvE, some questions

Make sure you run cele and have the right traits and weapons, runes and sigils. I dont play ele in competitive but I've dueled enough weavers. On average your "rotation" will be different in wvw and your goal (same as any condi bunker) is to not die. Dmg comes from stacking condis and good players will avoid your sources of condis and cleanse the ones that stick. So keep living until they run out of dodges, cleanses and patience (most importantly patience, you are very easy to kite). Technically they might make enough mistakes and die early to your condi bursts in fire but I wouldnt hold my breath. Bad players will kill themselves on your fire shield.

Or just switch to catalyst since its currently broken.

For knowing what other builds do, best you can do is play them. Second best is to find someone good with the build and duel them a lot. There is no wall of text that will help you here, just 100s of hours (1000s would be even better) of experience.

If you really want to stick to weaver you might want to check the FA power build too... It needs a high amount of skill with kiting and using defensives at the right time. But the dmg is high and getting kited on it almost never happens.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Make sure you run cele and have the right traits and weapons, runes and sigils. I dont play ele in competitive but I've dueled enough weavers. On average your "rotation" will be different in wvw and your goal (same as any condi bunker) is to not die. Dmg comes from stacking condis and good players will avoid your sources of condis and cleanse the ones that stick. So keep living until they run out of dodges, cleanses and patience (most importantly patience, you are very easy to kite). Technically they might make enough mistakes and die early to your condi bursts in fire but I wouldnt hold my breath. Bad players will kill themselves on your fire shield.

Or just switch to catalyst since its currently broken.

For knowing what other builds do, best you can do is play them. Second best is to find someone good with the build and duel them a lot. There is no wall of text that will help you here, just 100s of hours (1000s would be even better) of experience.

If you really want to stick to weaver you might want to check the FA power build too... It needs a high amount of skill with kiting and using defensives at the right time. But the dmg is high and getting kited on it almost never happens.

I am playing a bit of a hybrid of power and condi as fire/air weaver, so I can get away less with just running around people pulsing condis. It's more difficult, but more rewarding to me. I guess the same thing applies though, by applying pressure through autos and less important abilities probably.

As to the rest of what you've said, that's a bit unfortunate :classic_sad:. Really wish there were resources to make this stuff more accessible.

There is also the condi tempest build that spams immob that I forgot to mention, Sahne posted it either here or in the pvp section (or in both). It solves your bigger problem, getting kited. If you are going over to tempest (should be better than weaver for condi bunker builds), on average Sahne is the player active on the forum to tag and ask questions.

42 minutes ago, Friend.2837 said:

As to the rest of what you've said, that's a bit unfortunate :classic_sad:. Really wish there were resources to make this stuff more accessible.

Best you can do is copy a build and play it a lot. You can also watch youtubers, though I don't know any good condi weaver ones (there must be some, I just dont know which ones). For the FA weaver build I know Exzen who is excellent: https://www.youtube.com/@Exzen

@Sahne.6950might help with youtube channels for condi weaver.

On average condi weaver is not in a great spot right now. It used to be fine pre-eod but right now there is enough broken stuff. It should still be strong for wvw roaming, but its not very good at disengaging (which is important in wvw when you get ganked), its easy to kite. In conquest it was a good side node, since you can sit on a node with it and contest. But I've barely seen it played in spvp as of late.

Another thing that might be relevant, in wvw you fight opponents at all skill levels. In spvp, at least when you are new, you will be put against new (to pvp) players. That might be better for you at the start.

Edited by Hotride.2187

@Friend.2837  @Hotride.2187

You´ve summoned the holy Tempest Chad. I will bless this Thread with the SignetTempestBuild 🙏

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2lZwaYasLGJOyPntdA-z1IY1oh/MiVC0rCQyzyWTbAA-w

My advise on how to get better: Just. keep. playing. After a few hours it will just randomly click. Might take 2 weeks of getting your butt clapped but you will 100% get there.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Friend.2837

Lightning rod Weaver: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Lightning_Rod_Roamer

LR Weaver used to be pretty bonkers... but it lost some of its glory.. ngl..

The next one... i am not too sure about... but i think its something along those lines.  For real.. dont quote me on that one XD it might run water/arcane also.... but i think its air/water.

The "Edgy powerweaver":  http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZw2YdMPGKWUTXvUA-zVRYBBLGNsTQjzh+MAA-w

The interaction between Swiftrevenge, Wovenstride, and Cleansing water produces some really nice flow of Cleanses. Everytime you got swiftness/superspeed you will also get regeneration which will cleanse.  in other words: if you get swiftness you will cleanse. For example just spamming air 1 will constantly cleanse.

Just ask @solemn.9670 about it. He plays it from time to time. https://www.youtube.com/@SolemnGW2

Keep in mind, both builds wont even come close to the level that Signettempest is sitting at. Dont expect to win anything with those two builds... You can win with those two.. but only if you outskill your opponent.

i HIGHLY advise you try my Signettempestbuild if you are just starting out in WvW, as its probably the strongest build that you can run for WvW Roaming currently! It was absurdly strong, and then for no apparent reason Anet DOUBLED the healingscaling on our sustain trait a few weeks ago!.... or atleast run the Starfireroamer... This is pretty strong aswell, but you have alot of bad matchups, in other words, there is certain build that you simply cant fight with this.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Starfire_Roamer

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Friend.2837 said:

I've been watching a lot of people roam on Weaver and it looks so different - they just run around autoattacking and letting their cooldowns sit way more often than not, then suddenly chain multiple abilities together and the enemy pops instantly. Other times people just die to autoattacks. I'm super confused because in PvP it feels like I can never do damage with people dodging, running away, healing, and using whatever survivability skills their own class has.

Correct. They aren't just spamming and praying something hits, they're watching the enemy's moves and using auto attacks to fill in damage. If you spam and let your big moves go wasted, you die. 

3 hours ago, Friend.2837 said:

Secondly, I have no idea what other classes do. There's classes that go invisible for 80% of the fight and run circles around me, classes that CC me and oneshot me from either melee or 5000 range, classes that dump 50 stacks of condis on me every second. I'm actually OK fighting sustain heavy matchups because I know how to juggle fire aura (important in open world, helps with cleanses against condi classes), and every now and then I win 1v1s where we both whale on each other (I do my rotation faster thanks to super APM sword condi weaver practice 😛), but that's it. I don't know what to dodge, when to heal combo, when to use evades, I just kind of randomly go through attunements and hope it works.

Play the other classes. Everyone has been through this. 

• Thanks 1

Heyo o/
Duels and wvw roam is more about watching, predicting, creating windows to act and kiting, more than skill spam.
Besides all the class tips possible, i suggest you to watch people's videos playing pvp duels / wvw roaming on the classes you struggle most against (best would be trying them out, yeah). Try to understand the main mechanics those classes/builds are about. Consider you may have to adjust your build according to the roamers you find around in a certain moment.
You may join a roaming guild and ask your guild mates to give you tips. Or find some nice opponent to duel vs you again and again so you get the grasp on that enemy build. You can also ask a guildmate to duel vs you in wvw: you two both head to EotM arena and choose different colors.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately there's no workaround for "I don't know what other classes do" and "I don't know when to dodge". You have to fight those classes, get stomped the first 50 times until you start to see their patterns, when they are CCing, why they are CCing, is it time for burst, are they disengaging, etc. Then you ask yourself, how do I counter their CC before i must waste a stunbreak? Can I interrupt this long cast skill? Did he use both dodges? is the big invuln/stab on CD?

That's when you start filling these spaces with your own skills, not as a rotation but as a reaction. You are an elementalist so you still need some fixed rotations for certain effects, but everything else comes from reading the foe, knowing their class, reading their dodges/stuns/stunbreaks/bursts/teleports and trying to be in a position where they are on full CDs and you can burst or safely disengage.

The gear is important, as others said. Celestial ascended is great for ele, effective runes and sigils are crucial for both attack and mobility/evasion.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

@Friend.2837  @Hotride.2187

You´ve summoned the holy Tempest Chad. I will bless this Thread with the SignetTempestBuild 🙏

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2lZwaYasLGJOyPntdA-z1IY1oh/MiVC0rCQyzyWTbAA-w

My advise on how to get better: Just. keep. playing. After a few hours it will just randomly click. Might take 2 weeks of getting your butt clapped but you will 100% get there.

21 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

@Friend.2837

Lightning rod Weaver: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Lightning_Rod_Roamer

The next one... i am not too sure about... but i think its something along those lines.  For real.. dont quote me on that one XD it might run water/arcane also.... but i think its air/water.

The "Edgy powerweaver":  http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZw2YdMPGKWUTXvUA-zVRYBBLGNsTQjzh+MAA-w

The interaction between Swiftrevenge, Wovenstride, and Cleansing water produces some really nice flow of Cleanses. Everytime you got swiftness/superspeed you will also get regeneration which will cleanse.  in other words: if you get swiftness you will cleanse. For example just spamming air 1 will constantly cleanse.

Just ask @solemn.9670 about it. He plays it from time to time. https://www.youtube.com/@SolemnGW2

Keep in mind, both builds wont even come close to the level that Signettempest is sitting at. Dont expect to win anything with those two builds... You can win with those two.. but only if you outskill your opponent.

i HIGHLY advise you try my Signettempestbuild if you are just starting out in WvW, as its probably the strongest build that you can run for WvW Roaming currently! It was absurdly strong, and then for no apparent reason Anet DOUBLED the healingscaling on our sustain trait a few weeks ago!.... or atleast run the Starfireroamer... This is pretty strong aswell, but you have alot of bad matchups, in other words, there is certain build that you simply cant fight with this.

Will take a look, thanks! The starfire build is almost exactly what I ran in open world. Took it for a whirl today and actually won quite a few fights when I couldn't beat anyone before, but it mostly just felt like me doing my PvE rotation on people while running at them... definitely easier than sword/dagger power, haha.

Edited by Friend.2837
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

@Friend.2837

I tried that one, at some point, but found sword/dagger lightning rod to be a bit better, as  air2 has greater range and is not as clunky as the slides. Furthermore air/earth 3  is a disabling effect, so attuned to air/earth with s/d you can trigger lightning rod three times: air 2, a/e 3, earth 4. timed right, so when dodges, blinks and cc breaks of your opponent are on cd , you can chain this up to a nice cc lock, which can be finished with a nice burst ob earth 5. this is also a a pub stomper in low elo spvp. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 3:29 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

@Friend.2837

Thanks for the shout-out. Beware that this build (water air sword weaver) is gonna change after the patch because long cooldown cantrips will make it kind of unviable. Utilities will need to change at the very least i.e. perhaps heal to ether renewal and definitely mistform to arcane shield or another stunbreak

• Like 1

16 hours ago, solemn.9670 said:

Thanks for the shout-out. Beware that this build (water air sword weaver) is gonna change after the patch because long cooldown cantrips will make it kind of unviable. Utilities will need to change at the very least i.e. perhaps heal to ether renewal and definitely mistform to arcane shield or another stunbreak

Makes sense. Can you give a quick breakdown on how you try to play this style of weaver?

Here are a couple Q's if you don't mind:

Generally what part of the build actually kills people? Is it burst during cc? Autoattacks? The Starfire build just vomits random AoE condis 24/7 but that's clearly not the case here.

What attunements do you open in? Fire-earth 4+lightning flash CC, 2, 3 > air-fire 3-4 > FA air-air 3 seems to be a good burst but it looks really committal. When opponent could just stunbreak and dodge.

Do you have a baseline rotation that you adapt based on circumstance, or do you kind of just go through whatever elements you want in the moment? What role does FA actually play in the build?

When exactly do you go into earth shield? It has a lot of cool skills but whenever I try to play with it I feel like there's no point where I go "boy I really want earth shield RIGHT NOW"; I just kind of remember I have it then use it for shots and giggles.

Edited by Friend.2837

5 hours ago, Friend.2837 said:

Makes sense. Can you give a quick breakdown on how you try to play this style of weaver?

Here are a couple Q's if you don't mind:

Generally what part of the build actually kills people? Is it burst during cc? Autoattacks? The Starfire build just vomits random AoE condis 24/7 but that's clearly not the case here.

What attunements do you open in? Fire-earth 4+lightning flash CC, 2, 3 > air-fire 3-4 > FA air-air 3 seems to be a good burst but it looks really committal. When opponent could just stunbreak and dodge.

Do you have a baseline rotation that you adapt based on circumstance, or do you kind of just go through whatever elements you want in the moment? What role does FA actually play in the build?

When exactly do you go into earth shield? It has a lot of cool skills but whenever I try to play with it I feel like there's no point where I go "boy I really want earth shield RIGHT NOW"; I just kind of remember I have it then use it for shots and giggles.

Solemn has alot of videos on Youtube. Just watch him play!^^  put video to 0.5X speed during intense moments and see what he does. probably your best bet here.

my suggestion when playing ANY ele build is to not do a fixed rotation.  observe what the enemy is doing, and adjust your gameplay accordingly. 

He goes for his ranged burst? you should go into air and earth to upkeep projectileprotection. Try and play with a brain is the best tip here. 

AND DONT SPAM SKILLS.  the AA does alot, you dont always have to spam your 2-5 skills off cooldown. Sometimes its smart to just hold for a second and then capitalize on an opening.

Your big damage comes from basicly anything. Dont focus on one specific thing. Setup CC combos during times where the enemy is vulnerable and then just vomit everything on him when hes CCed XD

your hardest hitters should be  fire/air 3 .    air/air3.     fire 2.

Air 2 to interrupt important skills.

Fire 5 also hurts.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Solemn has alot of videos on Youtube. Just watch him play!^^  put video to 0.5X speed during intense moments and see what he does. probably your best bet here.

my suggestion when playing ANY ele build is to not do a fixed rotation.  observe what the enemy is doing, and adjust your gameplay accordingly. 

He goes for his ranged burst? you should go into air and earth to upkeep projectileprotection. Try and play with a brain is the best tip here. 

AND DONT SPAM SKILLS.  the AA does alot, you dont always have to spam your 2-5 skills off cooldown. Sometimes its smart to just hold for a second and then capitalize on an opening.

Your big damage comes from basicly anything. Dont focus on one specific thing. Setup CC combos during times where the enemy is vulnerable and then just vomit everything on him when hes CCed XD

your hardest hitters should be  fire/air 3 .    air/air3.     fire 2.

Air 2 to interrupt important skills.

Fire 5 also hurts.

I have watched the videos he had on this build, but I'd still like to understand the "why" behind some things people do.

The earth shiels question still stands, as does the opener. I also noticed that he always goes earth after water even if he doesn't blast his water 2 field and I'm not sure why.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, are y'all manually aiming everything by holding right click and moving camera, or adjusting the camera when you need to then letting autotargeting aim the skills? I can't really tell. Also, I have no way of testing whether your skills track enemies if they move during cast time. Generally if you start a cast and then run / dash behind you, will your character turn to hit them?

Thanks for the advice!

On 2/6/2023 at 10:34 PM, Friend.2837 said:

Text wall incoming! Main questions are bolded.

Hey all, I've been playing for a year and have gotten pretty familiar with raids / fractals. I've always wanted to get into WvW roaming - the playstyle sounds super fun to me - and have been holding off until I gathered enough resources to gear myself up. Now I've put together some ascended gear and am looking to jump into the fray!

I fell in love with the Weaver spec when I started the game and have been playing the class almost exclusively since. I'm currently running a fire/air sword/dagger Weaver build after reading this thread and tuning the builds suggested there to my own preferences.  I've gotten very comfortable with Weaver in instanced content / open world and have the rotations down to a tee. However fighting players is turning out very differently from fighting NPCs.

I now have two pressing questions

Making sure you watch YouTube to you what builds you like and see how they handle outnumber situations but remember most YouTube videos show that low ranks  so keep that in mind. If you plan on dueling you have to accept you will hit walls while fighting class so asking ele mains how they deal with it and asking person you fought what other else do  differently. Aim to be able to use  skills without look at them so able to focus on fight and not what each skill does and have fun and remember you will lose alot, just learn and try to improve something every fight 

The most important things I've learned about facing enemies in WvW:
1. Make a character dedicated to WvW. A popular suggestion is to play other classes to learn what they can do. While this is not a wrong suggestion, it's also a good idea to have the same kind of class for different game modes if you are seeking to learn the depths and capabilities. I have found this to be essential in the effort to develop to my offensive/defensive strategies on my class rather than spending time learning all the ins and outs of a different class that I'm not interested in playing.
2. Allocating stats properly and according to your role(s)/play-style will make the most out of your skills. Having less build options in SPVP should serve as a reminder to take full advantage of what's available.
3. Focus on making at least two types of builds:  size/threat of enemy vs how many allies are around you (i.e solo or squad). Keep in mind that weapon choices can also play an important role in these situations.

In the end, it's always about having the upper hand in a fight. Just remember to stay aware of who's around you because not everyone will have your back.

16 hours ago, Friend.2837 said:

MOST IMPORTANTLY, are y'all manually aiming everything by holding right click and moving camera, or adjusting the camera when you need to then letting autotargeting aim the skills?

If you have "autotargeting" enabled in your options - disable it, it's not good and can screw you over badly.

If you just mean, skills automatically hitting targets that you have selected, that's how it is supposed to work, you don't have to aim everything manually.

It's is also recommended to enable free camera (and avoid action-cam), so you have better awareness during combat and can look arround without disrupting combat.

16 hours ago, Friend.2837 said:

I can't really tell. Also, I have no way of testing whether your skills track enemies if they move during cast time. Generally if you start a cast and then run / dash behind you, will your character turn to hit them?

It is fairly easy to test in the PvP lobby - just press a skill on golem while not facing it and watch what happens. Some skills will automatically track, if you stand still (if you move, you will not turn automatically and skills get interrupted). Some skills will be cast in the direction your char is currently facing even when standing still. And some skills can be cast without needing to face the target (tho they might still turn your char if standing still).

Generally sPvP - whether it's the golems, free for all area or (unranked) matches - is a great place to learn all the basics about PvP combat, and even tho balance is different from WvW, it is not hard to transition into the other game mode, once basic knowledge and mechanics are aquired.

In WvW it is much harder to learn, because the fight frequency tends to be lower (unless you are dueling) and fights are often less balanced.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907

13 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

If you have "autotargeting" enabled in your options - disable it, it's not good and can screw you over badly.

If you just mean, skills automatically hitting targets that you have selected, that's how it is supposed to work, you don't have to aim everything manually.

It's is also recommended to enable free camera (and avoid action-cam), so you have better awareness during combat and can look arround without disrupting combat.

It is fairly easy to test in the PvP lobby - just press a skill on golem while not facing it and watch what happens. Some skills will automatically track, if you stand still (if you move, you will not turn automatically and skills get interrupted). Some skills will be cast in the direction your char is currently facing even when standing still. And some skills can be cast without needing to face the target (tho they might still turn your char if standing still).

Generally sPvP - whether it's the golems, free for all area or (unranked) matches - is a great place to learn all the basics about PvP combat, and even tho balance is different from WvW, it is not hard to transition into the other game mode, once basic knowledge and mechanics are aquired.

In WvW it is much harder to learn, because the fight frequency tends to be lower (unless you are dueling) and fights are often less balanced.

I think you might have misunderstood my question. I find that as long as I'm not locking my character in a direction by holding any arrow key, they will turnt owards the targeted enemy to cast a skill if need be.

However, some skills will change directions during cast time to hit the enemy if you blink, while some don't. For example if I start cauterizing strike then lightning flash mid-cast behind the target, my character will do a 180 and still hit the target. If I try this with pyro vortex, they will just cast it away from the target.

I want to know if this tracking behaviour or lack thereof I see with lightning flash also applies when enemies are moving. Does a skill that tracks during your own blink also track moving enemies, or vice versa?

The reason I ask is because if skills do track moving targets then I want to start getting used to letting my character do targeting on its own. If they don't, I want to get used to orienting my character manually.

Edited by Friend.2837

1 hour ago, Friend.2837 said:

I want to know if this tracking behaviour or lack thereof I see with lightning flash also applies when enemies are moving. Does a skill that tracks during your own blink also track moving enemies, or vice versa?

I don't play sword weaver, so i can't answer skill specific questions.

But most skills do track as long the target remains in range and you aren't "locking" your characters movement. Sometimes skills might have their own little "quirks" tho and show inconsistent behaviour, eg pyro vortex not turning your char when blinking behind a target. Whether that means it also won't track moving targets, idk, but it should be easy to figure out by simply playing, no?

The more experience you have, the more you'll get knowledge and feeling on how to land which skill, how they behave in different situations and so on. As with so many things i don't think there are universally applicable rules. That's why practise is so important.

1 hour ago, Friend.2837 said:

The reason I ask is because if skills do track moving targets then I want to start getting used to letting my character do targeting on its own. If they don't, I want to get used to orienting my character manually.

I'm still not entirely sure, what you are on about honestly. But the answer is most likely: "it depends".

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907