GW2 What If...The next expansion. (Elite-Speculation)

LuckyThirteen.4576

19 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

With all due respect, engineers already have mechanist

The difference is, actually making use of the charmable animals that already exist in the world and let other professions collect them all. 

And you could make it different enough from mechanist but keeping the toolbelt and having traits not based entirely on the pet alone.

Hard agree that they really need to rework turrets though. I would love a trait to make the turrets mobile too like little mech minions.

Just now, ShadowInTheVoid.9183 said:

The difference is, actually making use of the charmable animals that already exist in the world and let other professions collect them all. 

And you could make it different enough from mechanist but keeping the toolbelt and having traits not based entirely on the pet alone.

Hard agree that they really need to rework turrets though. I would love a trait to make the turrets mobile too like little mech minions.

There are many other classes which didn't receive a pet focused elite spec so far, so if you want Anet to use charmable animals for other classes, then feel free to suggest this for stuff like warrior, guardian, revenant, thief, mesmer, elementalist....

We already have turrets and the mech. That's more than enough pet play for engineer. Time to focus on some other thematical niches of the engineer class once again instead of just repeating the very same idea over and over again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

There are many other classes which didn't receive a pet focused elite spec so far, so if you want Anet to use charmable animals for other classes, then feel free to suggest this for stuff like warrior, guardian, revenant, thief, mesmer, elementalist....

We already have turrets and the mech. That's more than enough pet play for engineer. Time to focus on some other thematical niches of the engineer class once again instead of just repeating the very same idea over and over again.

Honestly, it was a bit of a joke and I couldn't see Anet even considering it
That said, it would be nice if there could be a way to make use of the existing pet assets for other professions, feels like an easy win.

If anything, i'd like to see Thief get some sort of pet/minion type skill (rather then just Thieves Guild. Maybe something involving shadow monsters?

Personally I’d like to see more elite specs that expand on Core features of a class instead of borrowing from another class… the HoT elite specs did this for some classes… I do appreciate the multiclass flavoring of newer elite specs, but I feel like they need to push some classes back into their core a bit more too… 

for example:

I’d like to see a Mesmer elite spec that is focused on the use of clones… I thought Mirage was going to be that, but its not…Mirage was more or less Mesmer/Thief

3 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I’d like to see a Mesmer elite spec that is focused on the use of clones… I thought Mirage was going to be that, but its not…Mirage was more or less Mesmer/Thief

It's kinda both, tho? While mirage definitely is designed as the mesmer/thief dual class fantasy, it is also still very focused on the clone mechanic.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

This is actually not far off from my predictions, although I think you have a lot of rifle users, some of which don't seem necessary. Your count would give us four rifle especs, while depriving us of any focus especs, as well as opportunities for a second shortbow, mace, or scepter espec.

A Snaff/Zinn Rev class could happen, I'm torn between that and something Norn. But Snaff or any sort of golemancer/cryomancer type would likely have a focus or even a scepter, not a rifle. Rev sorely wants an "archmage" espec imo and it should have a proper magical weapon.

I don't see Ranger getting a rifle over a focus or scepter. We still only have one scepter class and no focus classes, and Ranger is one of the last good choices for either. Also we don't have a BIG monster summoner yet so I'm hoping Ranger gives us that (although I do see your Necro summoner and recognize that is also a solid option). Also, Dragonhunter is already the "hunter" espec so I don't know why people keep pushing it for a Ranger espec.

Thief will likely have an offhand, maybe with some grappling rope involved. An axe is possible for that, but we do already have two axe classes so I would not be surprised if it gets a mace instead. Also I don't see something as dark and "necro-y" as butcher existing for thief when Deadeye is already very much thief's grimdark assassin espec--but we don't have a gambler or swashbuckler archetype yet so I would bet more on thief taking that direction.

I think if we get a Mesmer bard it will have shortbow, not longbow, just fits better with wanting to have an area of immediate influence.

Engi idea is solid, but I still think it could be differentiated away from Scrapper even more, which uses a hammer like a lightning rod. A compound longbow job might be more likely than a staff, if only because longbow deserves a second espec and I just argued against it for Mesmer. Engi is the hardest profession to pick weapons for so it's my biggest question mark--could easily get a torch (bombardier) or warhorn (reverb demolisher) or focus (sure why not) for all I know.

Flavorfully, I would tweak a few of these. Guardian is all about light, not darkness, so I would expect warhorn Guardian to function more like a spirit-shaman. Ranger venoms already feels a lot like Untamed so I think whatever direction it takes it will not have poison as a gimmick. And while I do think a bloodmage/minion-master Necro is likely, I don't know if bone-widow is the exact flavor it wants when Scourge is already very "skeletal".

Overall, agree more with this list than most people's suggestions, you seem to have put a good amount of consideration in. Hard agree with the ideas for Warrior and Ele, and generally agree with the ideas for Rev and Mesmer, and to some extent Guard and Necro.

Edited by Batalix.2873

5 hours ago, Batalix.2873 said:

This is actually not far off from my predictions, although I think you have a lot of rifle users, some of which don't seem necessary. Your count would give us four rifle especs, while depriving us of any focus especs, as well as opportunities for a second shortbow, mace, or scepter espec.

A Snaff/Zinn Rev class could happen, I'm torn between that and something Norn. But Snaff or any sort of golemancer/cryomancer type would likely have a focus or even a scepter, not a rifle. Rev sorely wants an "archmage" espec imo and it should have a proper magical weapon.

Snaff's ghost is using a rifle when he appears in A Star To Guide Us. He's probably essentially a mechanist, except... well, asura themed rather than Canthan jadetech themed.

Zinn obviously wouldn't be using a firearm, since he predates them.

I don't see Ranger getting a rifle over a focus or scepter. We still only have one scepter class and no focus classes, and Ranger is one of the last good choices for either. Also we don't have a BIG monster summoner yet so I'm hoping Ranger gives us that (although I do see your Necro summoner and recognize that is also a solid option). Also, Dragonhunter is already the "hunter" espec so I don't know why people keep pushing it for a Ranger espec.

While I've argued for scepter over rifle, you're conflating very different concepts. Dragonhunter is basically a cross between a guardian and a classic ranger. When people talk about 'hunter' in the ranger context, they're usually talking more about a modern or semimodern big game hunter that has ranger's fieldcraft, but which embraces some use of technology (including a rifle) in a manner that other rangers don't. Dragonhunter absolutely does not fit that theme.

Thief will likely have an offhand, maybe with some grappling rope involved. An axe is possible for that, but we do already have two axe classes so I would not be surprised if it gets a mace instead. Also I don't see something as dark and "necro-y" as butcher existing for thief when Deadeye is already very much thief's grimdark assassin espec--but we don't have a gambler or swashbuckler archetype yet so I would bet more on thief taking that direction.

I wouldn't expect thief to get axe or mace offhand unless they get both main and off hand like spellbreaker. Offhand sword or one of the dedicated offhands (focus, shield, torch, warhorn) seems much more likely, including for a gambler or swashbuckler archetype.

I think if we get a Mesmer bard it will have shortbow, not longbow, just fits better with wanting to have an area of immediate influence.

Agreed.

Engi idea is solid, but I still think it could be differentiated away from Scrapper even more, which uses a hammer like a lightning rod. A compound longbow job might be more likely than a staff, if only because longbow deserves a second espec and I just argued against it for Mesmer. Engi is the hardest profession to pick weapons for so it's my biggest question mark--could easily get a torch (bombardier) or warhorn (reverb demolisher) or focus (sure why not) for all I know.

Scrapper's electricity theme is pretty weak overall, which is a large part of the reason why people are interested in a lightning rod staff. Actually shooting lightning at people is very different to a melee weapon with a few sparking effects.

Flavorfully, I would tweak a few of these. Guardian is all about light, not darkness, so I would expect warhorn Guardian to function more like a spirit-shaman. Ranger venoms already feels a lot like Untamed so I think whatever direction it takes it will not have poison as a gimmick. And while I do think a bloodmage/minion-master Necro is likely, I don't know if bone-widow is the exact flavor it wants when Scourge is already very "skeletal".

A lot of people seem to like the idea of a guardian that reverses that and goes dark, although I'm sceptical myself.

Ranger 'venoms' are something I'd see as being bringing back what GW1 called preparations, which is something that ranger in GW2 has been missing out on. It would possibly involve renaming the venom skill type, possibly to something like 'applications'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, Kodama.6453 said:

How the hell are we making shouts with a technology theme to fit for engineer? Are we shouting by using a megaphone? And what are we shouting? Is the heal shout "HAVE YOU TRIED TURNING IT OFF AND ON AGAIN?!"?

'I'll be back' - is a gw1 shout. That's technologically themed to a certain extent.

I guess if you want something droid like... 'Roger Roger!' Works lol. 

Other gw1 shouts:

'Tango down!'

'Make your time!'

'Never give up'

On 2/7/2023 at 8:29 AM, LuckyThirteen.4576 said:

Guardian: Void-Caller

Weapon: Warhorn
The warhorn would project cone-shaped fields that focus on controlling and interrupting enemies.

Profession Mechanic: Virtuous Anthems
The guardian's virtues now take the form of powerful personal buffs. The guardian may use F1-F3 to select one virtue at a time to receive the benefits from, and the benefits last until another virtue is selected.

Profession Skill: Chants
Chants grant unique buffs which, for their duration, will trigger an effect whenever another utility skill is used, or perhaps when certain other conditions are met. 

I love the ideas in general, however for Guardian i need to throw in my cents 😉

I don't think void-anything either suits guard or the situation we're in where, the void problems are more or less this expansion. If we look at the quote from gw2 book https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sea_of_Sorrows_(book)

It's a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training, wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha. A real grab bag of "you can't hurt me". They're called guardians, and simply put, they mean trouble.

Which is something I absolutely adore, especially as a big fan of GW1 Monks and Ritualists. I'd push this frontier more, rather then invent a new wheel. Embrace what Guardians are, the crazy hoo-ha! The Anthems and Chants could absolutely fit this.

Edited by Antina.5973
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 4:29 AM, LuckyThirteen.4576 said:

Engineer: Kineticist

Weapon: Staff
The staff conducts the Kineticist's magnetic powers, offering the engineer powerful ranged damage options, and some ranged defense. 

Profession Mechanic: Magnetic Crush
The Kineticist's magnetic power grows as they deal or block damage, building a tiered meter similar to warrior's adrenaline gauge. Each tier offers the engineer damage reduction, and also unlocks a more-powerful version of the new f5 skill magnetic crush: a powerful and damaging aoe CC ability.

Profession Skills: Create/Destroy
Create skills would use magnetic power and spare pieces of metal to create a variety of effects including walls and weapons. Once used, they become their corresponding destroy skill, which would create a secondary effect, and put the skill on cooldown.

It would be nice!

but...

I think that would be "Traveller"...

The concept would be about someone with the technology able to travel over the space (inclusive across universes or even minds) and the time (past, present, future and probabilities). It would be a concept similar to the Kang the Conqueror (Marvel), Ant Man (Marvel), Trunks (Dragon Ball), Doc Brown (Back to the Future), Javier (The Terminator), Cooper (Interestellar), ..., and many others fictional characters.

Basically the Traveller would be able to transport itself, other characters, things and events across the space/time.

Ex:

Call itself (Main mechanic): 

1. The Traveller calls itself from another space/time/probabilitie to assist him/her.
  2. The Call would be activated by F1 - F4 skills (ground target), each one having its own cooldown (obs: The skill would become blocked while the respective Traveller's point of view is active).
  3. While the others (Traveller) stills in the same reality/space/time they share the same stats, health points and endurance.
  4. The Traveller could summons up to 3 other Travellers from other realities.
  5. F1 - F4 skills would switch the point of view to respective Traveller (like elementalist attunement), basically the player would leave the current Traveller performing auto attack in order to begin to control the other Traveller.
  6. The F5 skill could dismiss the other Travellers in order to merge statuses, endurance, health points, boons and even conditions (or not 😄).
  7. The pro would be initially the flexibility and the speed. The con would be primarily the fact of the player have his/her statuses spread across 4 characters and become more vulnerable.

Travel (Utility skill): Just a teleport like Blink (Mesmer), Swift Signet (Mechanist), ... 

Wormhole (Utility skill): The Traveler sets the entry point and the exit point of a wormhole which other allies can travel through, very similar to the Mesmer's portal.

Shambles (Utility skill): Same as the Wormhole/Portal but with the sligh diference that would work only on foes. The entry point would pull foes into itself, then it would force those foes to travel to the exit point (the skill would be treated as a pull).

Weapon: Greatsword for melee option (personally, i want a skill that blocks, so i also can transform the exordium into a shield 😄)

These are just some examples of skills and mechanic that i think that might be added to the Engineer.

Sorry for any misspelling or trouble 🙂

Edited by Ze Ninguem.6708
Misspeling

On 2/7/2023 at 2:29 AM, LuckyThirteen.4576 said:

Revenant: Savant

Weapon: Rifle
The rifle would function in a similar vein to the engineer's firearms: focusing more on mid-ranged utility, mobility, and crowd control rather than damage. 

Profession Mechanic: Legendary Golemancer Stance - Snaff
Golemancer stance, in addition to providing new skills, provides access to the F2 skill Overdrive, which will instantly reset all cooldowns (including weapon skills, utility skills, and profession skills) in addition to providing maximum energy at the cost of disabling energy regeneration for a period of time and a long cooldown. 

Profession Skills: Golemancy
By temporarily summoning Snaff's golem (or parts thereof) through mist-portals, the revenant gains access to a variety of instant, percussive effects, like extra damage, defensive bubbles, or an AoE launch.

I have a similar idea myself, except instead of Snaff, it's Oola and Zinn who occasionally bicker with each other (more so if you're an asura). The rifle is funny enough, my third pick for the e-spec, with the first two being scepter and focus. And your golemancy skills are more or less what I had in mind, but with a bit of condi (cuz of Oola's necromancy) and the elite skill summons a large old-style golem to wreak havoc for a few seconds before exploding. (also minor note, it can be used underwater as well)

Guardian: Void-Caller

Weapon: Warhorn
The warhorn would project cone-shaped fields that focus on controlling and interrupting enemies.

Profession Mechanic: Virtuous Anthems
The guardian's virtues now take the form of powerful personal buffs. The guardian may use F1-F3 to select one virtue at a time to receive the benefits from, and the benefits last until another virtue is selected.

Profession Skill: Chants
Chants grant unique buffs which, for their duration, will trigger an effect whenever another utility skill is used, or perhaps when certain other conditions are met. 

I gotta say, not too keen on the name Void-Caller for a guardian. Might I suggest something more virtuous? Maybe something like Paladin or Hierophant? (Just throwing names out there you don't have to use those ones if you don't want to)

Warrior: Battlemaster

Weapon: Staff
The staff would be a ranged weapon, allowing the warrior to call aoe artillery strikes down on their target, as well as offering some some aoe buffs and/or healing.

Profession Mechanic: Reinforcements
The battlemaster builds adrenaline in all the normal ways, as well as by healing allies. The adrenaline bar would become a single, unsegmented resource bar. F1 summons reinforcement in the form of a minion to a targeted location, which can be command like other pets in the game. This minion can have different properties based on trait choices, and drains adrenaline at a constant rate. 

Profession Skills: Orders
Orders create an area buff on a targeted ally.  The buff will follow that ally as they move and grant benefits to them and other nearby for performing certain actions, like getting double-strikes on attacks, or vigor/protection on a successful dodge.

It's okay, although I still think the staff warrior should have a monk theme going instead of a military leader theme.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:47 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

Engineer - Chemist

Represents the engineer/thief dual spec. This elite spec has a focus on condition damage, stealth and boon removal. They are using chem-fogs, clouds of dangerous chemicals, to hide themselves and rend the flesh from the bones of their enemies.

Entering a chem-fog gives a chemist access to chemical ambush skills for their mainhand weapon and kits (like other ambushes, skill 1 is temporarily replaced by an ambush skill, but it applies to kits as well since they are our weapon replacements).

Weapon: Staff (has a censer at the end, spreading fumes and gases while we swing it)
Utility Type: Preparations (devices we install on the battlefield to trap enemies in a hell of acids and poisonous concoctions)
Elite Spec Mechanic: Chemical Ambushes + Chem-Belt (F5 switches our toolbelt skills to the unique chembelt of the chemist, which helps them creating chem-fogs for their ambushes and other effects)

I like your idea for a condi engi e-spec, although I personally still feel the torch would be better suited for the job. Also, since you mentioned thief, maybe they could also have a 3rd weapon skill that combines their MH and OH weapons?

Edited by Mediahead.3542

Since we're throwing ideas out there. Here's a few I've been tweaking with:

Ranger/Wildcaller (Power/support spec)

Weapon: Shield

Provides protection and knockback

Profession mechanic: Dual pets

As a wildcaller, both pets will be active at once

Utility skills: Minions

Wildcallers can summon unique animal avatars from the mists to aid them, such as an insect avatar to provide periodic healing (and maybe lifesteal) and a reptile avatar to dole out damage and movement impairing condis.

Elementalist/Spellslinger (Power/ranger spec)

Weapon: Dual pistols

Quick ranged attacks

Utility skills: Tricks

Uses movement impairing condis, cc, and evasion to keep enemies at a distance

I couldn't come up with anything for the profession mechanic, but I did like the Arcane shroud the OP came up with so that could work here too. (It works for Harbinger anyway)

Necromancer/Seance (Support/ranged spec)

Weapon: Longbow

Keeps enemies at a distance with arrows that provide CC and immob (Somewhat similar to DH)

Profession mechanic: Phantom Shroud

Grants periodic distortion to you and nearby allies. It's range can be expanded through traits.

Utility skills: Spirits

Similar to Ranger's spirits, seances summon the souls of the dead to provide boons to themselves and their allies

Edited by Mediahead.3542