Warriors will dictate the future of GW2

VocalThought.9835

On 2/7/2023 at 11:03 AM, DeanBB.4268 said:

Probably staff next, then short bow, then pistol. That takes us a long ways into the future before the magic weapons need to be figured out.

And dual shields is just plain stupid  I think.

Why do you think Dual Shields are stupid? It's all in the animation. They could use them like boxing gloves. You think boxing is stupid?

1 hour ago, VocalThought.9835 said:

Why do you think Dual Shields are stupid? It's all in the animation. They could use them like boxing gloves. You think boxing is stupid?

No, but there's a reason boxing gloves look like boxing gloves instead of shields. One way or another, I don't really see a reason for anet not to suddenly use an offhand as mainhand for new especs if they feel like it.

As for the title/thread: no, they will not. 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, VocalThought.9835 said:

Maybe if all the shields were like bucklers, but that's not the case. The largest shields available would be wielded. And it wouldn't be like Captain America, would it?

5 hours ago, VocalThought.9835 said:

Hey, you can use toasters like boxing gloves too ... maybe we should get Dual Toasters. I mean, ANYTHING can be like boxing gloves if you can hold them. 

But I think the point here is that you assume far too much about how Anet does things in the game to make the claims you do. It's pretty safe to assume that new expansions and espec aren't related to whatever 'non-magical' weapons Warrior doesn't have in it's kit. I mean, why do you assume Anet couldn't repurpose one of the current weapons Warrior has for a new espec? I don't see anything preventing that from happening. There are all kinds of possibilities you are excluding in your prediction. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 2

Is this where I need to go looking for  the videos where HEMA people analyse the dual shield meme again?

They all agree that two large shields are a bad idea. People underestimate the defensive benefits of combining a shield with a long metal rod which can block a surprisingly large range of attack angles. Using dual large shields is sacrificing most of your ability to threaten your opponent back, particularly when it comes to reach, without much in the way of real defensive benefit - especially since two shields can get in each other's way and/or block the user's vision. (Heck, even one shield can block your vision if you're not careful - if I was in melee combat, I'd generally prefer to protect my head with a sword rather than a large shield.)

Smaller shields around buckler size could potentially work, and there is some historical precedent, but such skins are normally found classified as foci rather than shields.

Personally, I don't think we're likely to see offhands as mainhands any time soon.

27 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Is this where I need to go looking for  the videos where HEMA people analyse the dual shield meme again?

They all agree that two large shields are a bad idea. People underestimate the defensive benefits of combining a shield with a long metal rod which can block a surprisingly large range of attack angles. Using dual large shields is sacrificing most of your ability to threaten your opponent back, particularly when it comes to reach, without much in the way of real defensive benefit - especially since two shields can get in each other's way and/or block the user's vision. (Heck, even one shield can block your vision if you're not careful - if I was in melee combat, I'd generally prefer to protect my head with a sword rather than a large shield.)

Smaller shields around buckler size could potentially work, and there is some historical precedent, but such skins are normally found classified as foci rather than shields.

Personally, I don't think we're likely to see offhands as mainhands any time soon.

One would expect the same thing with Hammers meanwhile it still inhibits warrior with the massive 15 hits for little if any actual damage regardless of cc like names such as backbreaker being the name of one 😂 idk dual shields could be a interesting combination but would probably be cc slammed like all blunt weapons in competitive aspects. Wielding 2 shield stance uses could be interesting along with 2 shield bashes followed by some sort of charge/leap of sorts. Granted knowing warriors luck they would just get a scepter that is a throwable ranged weapon about 100range shorter then the pistol 😂😂😂

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, prototypedragon.1406 said:

One would expect the same thing with Hammers meanwhile it still inhibits warrior with the massive 15 hits for little if any actual damage regardless of cc like names such as backbreaker being the name of one 😂 idk dual shields could be a interesting combination but would probably be cc slammed like all blunt weapons in competitive aspects. Wielding 2 shield stance uses could be interesting along with 2 shield bashes followed by some sort of charge/leap of sorts. Granted knowing warriors luck they would just get a scepter that is a throwable ranged weapon about 100range shorter then the pistol 😂😂😂

Two-handed pole hammers were still a perfectly viable weapon in real-world combat, albeit with much smaller heads than most skins in the game (but that's a common problem with hammers in fantasy). Any gripes you might have with a specific implementation doesn't change that, and design might change again over time.

Dual large shields is pretty intuitively recognised as a meme by most, and the silliness of this combination has been confirmed by people who have actually tried sparring with it. And once an inherently silly weapon set is introduced, it will remain so until the servers shut down. If hypothetical mainhand shield was a 'good' weapon mechanically, that would actually make the problem worse because it would make the intuitively and experimentally stupid combination more common.

And that's without even getting into the ridiculousness of having, say, shield mainhand and axe offhand.

14 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Two-handed pole hammers were still a perfectly viable weapon in real-world combat, albeit with much smaller heads than most skins in the game (but that's a common problem with hammers in fantasy). Any gripes you might have with a specific implementation doesn't change that, and design might change again over time.

Dual large shields is pretty intuitively recognised as a meme by most, and the silliness of this combination has been confirmed by people who have actually tried sparring with it. And once an inherently silly weapon set is introduced, it will remain so until the servers shut down. If hypothetical mainhand shield was a 'good' weapon mechanically, that would actually make the problem worse because it would make the intuitively and experimentally stupid combination more common.

And that's without even getting into the ridiculousness of having, say, shield mainhand and axe offhand.

There is a martial arts style using dual shield. Double tiger-head steel shields style.

9 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

There is a martial arts style using dual shield. Double tiger-head steel shields style.

Cool. But those aren't roundshields, heaters, kite shields, or tower shields like most shield skins. They're something that only extends a few inches out from the hand and then back to extend a bit past the elbow. We have focus skins with that basic shape, the gen 3 legendary being a prime example. Which is why I was specifying 'large' shields a couple of posts up. If the shields are small enough and shaped accordingly, it's basically the same as claws or tonfas with extra forearm protection. Few if any shield skins are small enough and shaped accordingly.

5 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Cool. But those aren't roundshields, heaters, kite shields, or tower shields like most shield skins. They're something that only extends a few inches out from the hand and then back to extend a bit past the elbow. We have focus skins with that basic shape, the gen 3 legendary being a prime example. Which is why I was specifying 'large' shields a couple of posts up. If the shields are small enough and shaped accordingly, it's basically the same as claws or tonfas with extra forearm protection. Few if any shield skins are small enough and shaped accordingly.

Yeah, and we have DDs and Revs using some obvious caster staff skins like polearms so...

9 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yeah, and we have DDs and Revs using some obvious caster staff skins like polearms so...

Honestly? That's far less silly. Caster staff skins are still ultimately a blunt instrument on a long pole. Some of them look too fragile to take a hit, but if they're magically reinforced, it's probably no worse than those ridiculously oversized hammers. Meanwhile, the only shield skin that's even close is the Seraph skin.

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The game already is overflowing with silly and stupid skins anyway, so being able to dual-wield shields wouldn't magically add remarkably more of that to the game.

The distinction here is that taking a silly skin with an otherwise practical weapon is entirely player choice. Introducing dual shields would mean that people are either forced to deal with the silly or be locked out of the spec's weapon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The distinction here is that taking a silly skin with an otherwise practical weapon is entirely player choice. Introducing dual shields would mean that people are either forced to deal with the silly or be locked out of the spec's weapon.

But that is a player choice. They know what they get into, when they choose to play the specialization with the arguably silly weapon.

That aside, Junksworn already forces the arguably silly not-a-sabre and locks players out of a real weapon swap, so the hypothetical dual-wielding Shields already has a predecessor of an arguably silly "weapon swap".

Edited by Fueki.4753

21 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But that is a player choice. They know what they get into, when they choose to play the specialization with the arguably silly weapon.

That aside, Junksworn already forces the arguably silly not-a-sabre and locks players out of a real weapon swap, so the hypothetical dual-wielding Shields already has a predecessor of an arguably silly "weapon swap".

You know that gunswords were real historical weapons, right? Bayonetted muskets proved superior in the end, and you generally weren't able to get multiple shots out of them, but hey, basically every gun in the game has a high rate of fire for anything earlier than the mid 1800s. So... still less silly than dual shields.

18 hours ago, Waffles.5632 said:

Say what?

I very much want this in GW2. Double Shield Warriors lessss goooooooo!

Seen those videos before. It's a meme, and it doesn't work in real life, because you've blocked your vision and an enemy can just deliver a plunging thrust over the shield, or around it if you're on your own. And if you're not on your own, shieldwalls were more effective with a single shield per soldier... and a weapon with real reach.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Seen those videos before. It's a meme, and it doesn't work in real life, because you've blocked your vision and an enemy can just deliver a plunging thrust over the shield, or around it if you're on your own. And if you're not on your own, shieldwalls were more effective with a single shield per soldier... and a weapon with real reach.

We are not talking about real life, we are talking about a fantasy MMO where magic is literally everywhere and in every being. GW2 is full of memes so double shields fit right in.

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

You know that gunswords were real historical weapons, right? Bayonetted muskets proved superior in the end, and you generally weren't able to get multiple shots out of them, but hey, basically every gun in the game has a high rate of fire for anything earlier than the mid 1800s. So... still less silly than dual shields.

The Gun Axe was standard issue for the Polish calvary for a time. The problem with gunswords in the end is that if the barrel aligns with the length of the blade then it becomes difficult to aim due to unbalanced weight, and if it is aligned with the cross gruard you then have a long blade jutting straight up and a muzzle that you can't always secure.

I could just image skill 3 slamming both shield against a enemy like musical symbols. 2 being a charging slam leap with both shields do power damage primary and confusion  damage as a added bonus, with a counterblow secondary ability that applies a 2 second daze if a attack is blocked. With the auto chain striking with both shields followed by the 3rd strike being a block or stun, which could make sigil of draining quite interesting 🤔

On 2/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, Waffles.5632 said:

We are not talking about real life, we are talking about a fantasy MMO where magic is literally everywhere and in every being. GW2 is full of memes so double shields fit right in.

Oh, hey, it's the 'it's fantasy, rules don't matter!' argument.

Magic might exist, but the game world still largely follows the laws of physics otherwise. You can't see through a solid piece of wood or metal intended to take blows from heavy weapons. A rev might, but mainhand shield isn't exactly the first thing I'd think of for warrior dabbling in that kind of magic.

Sure, there are some less-than-serious elements in the game, but all of the equippable weapon combinations are at least somewhat sensible.