GW2 on steam deck, can you play it there if you bought the game using ArenaNet and not Steam?

Some things to be aware of:

-Use, "-provider Portal" in your GW2 launch options to use an existing Anet account.

-Buy gems/expansions through whichever account you normally use. Steam doesn't mix with Anet.

-It tends to crash most often when using the TP, or selecting waypoints. Fairly stable.

-Get a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard if you plan on raiding. It's the only mode I find myself wanting more binding options.

Enjoy playing GW2 in bed, while pooping, and on lunch breaks! ❤

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Works pretty neat, play on one myself while i am not on my rig. But you certainly need to get used to it. So,  if you buy one, i recommend to start with easy content and an easy class. The steam deck also has 4 buttons ob the back, so if you map your skills clever, you can trigger all of them while having your tumbs on both sticks. This was the biggest thing for me to get used to, because it differs so much from usual controller mappings, but the precision/mobility gain is rad imo. Especially on aoe skills that need to be placed. Totally worth.

• 5 months later...

I love to play GW2 on the Deck. Some of the vertical maps like HoT maps and Arborstone can be a little bit anyoing due to 20 to 30 FPS only though. 😞

I was one of the early adopters and created my personal controller mapping which was inspired by the official mapping of Elder Scrolls Online. It uses Action Mode Camera, the only big drawback is the game deciding in some occasions to turn action mode on and off for you. So you also have to hit the select button on the steam deck to turn action cam on again.

Link:
Deck GW2 Ultimate Pro V10.11
steam://controllerconfig/4058217053/3008859672

How to use:
Then you login with character first hit select button to turn on Action Cam. Holding down the left trigger L2 activates the mouse/menu mode. During this mode left Trackpads turns into  Touch Menu for TradingPost, Inventory, etc... right Trackpad turns into normal laptop mouse trackpad. Move the Cursor and press to click. R1 and L1 are optional left and right click, then the trackpad is to sensitive.

It also supports gyro while trackpad or stick is touched which eases placing AoE-fields. I also spent a lot of time in the targeting.

Left Trackpad is reserved for mounts and showing all names of NPCs

right trackpad for Class features F1 to F4

Click the left Stick to evade in any direction

R4 Grib to interact and talk to NPCs

hold slightly right stick or trackpad and move your deck arround to look arroun in game.

Skill Rotation from skillbar 1 - 10: R2 (Auto Attack), X, Y, B, L1, R1 (Heal), L5, R5, L4, Double click R4 (Ultimate) 

To Target a Skill with GYRO or right stick, press and hold the key.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...