Runes and Traits - Profession Identity through a different approach

Terrorangel.1526

I have a dream.

A dream where I don't have to use a Trait because it changes how a Boon is applied to myself or my allies.

In this dream Traits do still apply Boons, but they have fixed values.

That means a trait that provides me with Might does not increase the Power Might provides and reduces its Condition Damage.

But there are Runes that do exactly that. I can choose to equip a Rune that increases the Power value if I want to play power and I can use a defensive Rune that increases the damage reduction of Protection up to 40%. or another Rune that increases the effectiveness of Vigor.

I don't have to rely on a Trait to fulfill this role anymore and can play with a Trait Line that has always been Power focused before and make it a Condition build.

What does that mean for Traits that focused on that before? They can be remodeled to improve the profession mechanics. Effects that are truly unique to a profession, a guaranteed crit, a damage boost for your next attack, an increase of base stats for the effects duration or more Utility-Skill focused traits to improve Mantras, Wells, Cantrips, Shouts, Engineer-Kits, Turrets, Signets, etc. 

Maybe add new criteria that has to be fulfilled: 

After blocking 7 attacks grant a boon (on your next attack?) 

or:

When successfully dodging an attack your next hit steals life, applies a condition or strips a boon.

maybe:

If striking an enemy that is 600 or further away get "Cool_Effect_Name_Here"
"Cool_Effect_Name_Here": (6s) Your next critical hit deals 20% more damage. 15s CD.
 or: Ferocity is increased by 180 for 3s. 15s CD. 

Or, what I personally really like: 

The next Condition/Boon you apply is doubled (5 -->10 stacks might, or 3 --> 6 stacks of burning).

Yes, that does sound strong but with an appropriate cooldown and/or foreseeable conditions to be met it would provide new depths to the professions.

Would you prefer to not add any more profession unique effects that you have to look out for in competitive play modes? Or do you like that every Trait Line (Specialization) has its focus and "tells you" how it should be played? Let me know what you think about this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terrorangel.1526 said:

That means a trait that provides me with Might does not increase the Power Might provides and reduces its Condition Damage.

But there are Runes that do exactly that. I can choose to equip a Rune that increases the Power value if I want to play power 

I actually do not mind this at all. 

Right now there is a huge gaping difference between Condition Builds and Power Builds that isn't being talked about alot: 

Condition Builds utilize the Might boon way more efficiently than Power Builds because they primarily also do Strike damage anyway, but just with Conditions added onto the back which attributes to their main damage source. Does this mean that Condition Builds do absolutely no Power damage? No. 

Power Builds however, are missing out entirely on the Condition Damage boost that Might gives, with all that extra stat going down the drain if they do not have a conversion Trait like Awaken the Pain or Notoriety that can let them pull out abit more Power from Might. 

Condition Builds with 25 Might gain: 750 Power and 750 Condition Damage, the Power being utilized in their application skills with Strike attacks, and some of these skills have very good Power coefficients. 

Power Builds with 25 Might gain 750 Power and 750 Condition Damage is wasted entirely if their rotation doesn't have any Condition application at all. 

A Rune system which lets you tap into that full 1500 stat as Power would be a huge deal for Power Builds. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Terrorangel.1526 said:

Would you share your thoughts with me? Why do you disagree, what exactly makes you disagree? 
Besides that, great comment. Thank you for your insight.

I can probably answer in it's stead.

To put it simply, if you tie the boon enhancement to the runesets, you'll have people flock to the offensives runesets, totally ignoring defensive runesets, all while complaining about their own lack of sustain. If you look closely, in some way, it is already the case but the current impact of this "trend" is inferior to the possible impact that your "dream" would create.

• Like 1

But isn't that the same with people flocking to the offensive Traits? What is the difference? 

Of course people would want to play only offensive sets but when their playstyle or build doesn't allow that, because they die too fast, they would have to adapt. Meaning changing an offensive trait for a defensive one or taking a defensive utility skill. I guess that's just not the mindset of the casual player.
I would prefer a skill tree that is playstyle and utility focused over a power focused one. 

Maybe there wouldn't be much change and no new build options at all.  Maybe it's just a shift from the traits to the runes. Instead of "you have to play this build to maximize damage" it would be "you have to use this rune" (and like you mentioned that's also already a reality with gear in general). The only difference would be that every profession, unattached to traits and specialization, would have access to boon enhancement.

But that's nothing more than theory crafting. Thinking about it, maybe I tried to detach preset playstyles from trait lines and make more diversity viable. Runes might not be the right approach for that. 

19 minutes ago, Terrorangel.1526 said:

Of course people would want to play only offensive sets but when their playstyle or build doesn't allow that, because they die too fast, they would have to adapt. Meaning changing an offensive trait for a defensive one or taking a defensive utility skill.

Sadly this is rarely how things work out… people would rather complain until things get changed in the game that lets their glass cannon build survive with out changing anything themselves or stubbornly throw themsleves at content with the mindset of “I just need to perfect my timing”

32 minutes ago, Terrorangel.1526 said:

But isn't that the same with people flocking to the offensive Traits? What is the difference? 

The difference is that most of those enhancements are tied to the minor traits and thus you don't have much of a choice but to take them (Tempest's hardy conduit, Warrior's pinacle of strength/Furious burst/deep strike/hardened armor/empowered, Ranger's Furious strength/Rugged growth, Guardian's inspired wirtue/imbued haste, Thief's endless stamina, Engineer's energy amplifier/excessive energy/exigency protocol, Mesmer's chaotic persistence/illusionary membrane/nomad's endurance/quiet intensity, Revenant's determined resolution/ferocious agression/reinforced potency. Without forgeting that there are similar traits associated to conditions)

All in all, the current statu quo allow for the existence of traits that have relatively strong effects that are balanced by the uptime of a boon. In a group setup those traits work wonder but in a solo setup it is harder to bring their full value.

In your "dream", all the "budget power" packed into those minor traits would have to be redistributed and rebalanced. You'd end up with a lot of differents runesets increasing a single boon effect.

NB.: The game already offer runes with such enhancement, Superior runes of Dwayna is such a runeset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1