Gun Slinger Engi?

PurpleRose.6921

I've toying around the idea of making a engineer with a dual pistol setup. I have a very western movie looking outfit on my account and like the idea of a "gun slinger". I am sure it would be work okish for leveling, but I am not sure about after that. Is dual pistol engineer even a thing? Is dual pistol even viable long term? Should I consider using another class for dual pistols? Thoughts and ideas. 

Edited by PurpleRose.6921
  • Confused 1

Just now, PurpleRose.6921 said:

I've toying around the idea of making a engineer with a dual pistol setup. I have a very western movie looking outfit on my account and like the idea of a "gun slinger". I am sure it would be work okish for leveling, but I am not sure about after that. Is dual pistol engineer even a thing? Is dual pistol even viable long term? Thoughts and ideas. 

Anything works if you try hard enough.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleRose.6921 said:

I've toying around the idea of making a engineer with a dual pistol setup. I have a very western movie looking outfit on my account and like the idea of a "gun slinger". I am sure it would be work okish for leveling, but I am not sure about after that. Is dual pistol engineer even a thing? Is dual pistol even viable long term? Should I consider using another class for dual pistols? Thoughts and ideas. 

Dual pistols are the weapons of choice for condition engineer across the board. The utility skills will vary from spec to spec.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, MrForz.1953 said:

The utility skills will vary from spec to spec.

Do they, tho?

Highest condition damage builds for core and holosmith will use flamethrower, bombs and grenades for their utility skills.
The condition damage build for mechanist just makes one adjustment: it drops the flamethrower for shift signet (for the boon share effect with the mech).

Scrapper is not really viable as a condition damage spec, since it is entirely power focused.

This is one major pain point for me on engineer. We lack viable condition damage utility skills which are not kits....
We can run multiple power builds using very differing power damage skills, but condition damage is always just kit juggling.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The person's just looking to have fun. As far as I'm concerned a Grenades only signet Mechanist with J-Drive will do the trick even with dual pistols . I only read mentions of carrying dual pistols to go along with the fashion, not actively using them so if that's actually what it's about then the lategame setups will still be a fit.

32 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Do they, tho?

Highest condition damage builds for core and holosmith will use flamethrower, bombs and grenades for their utility skills.
The condition damage build for mechanist just makes one adjustment: it drops the flamethrower for shift signet (for the boon share effect with the mech).

Scrapper is not really viable as a condition damage spec, since it is entirely power focused.

This is one major pain point for me on engineer. We lack viable condition damage utility skills which are not kits....
We can run multiple power builds using very differing power damage skills, but condition damage is always just kit juggling.

Well said, and I agree.  I would love to see meaningful buffs to Flame Turret and Rocket Kick.  I think Grenade/Bomb/FT should still be best, but I'd love if Rocket Kick or Flame Turret could compete with FT if you weren't maximizing it for instance.   Or, make Slick Shoes apply random condi's in it's fields like "Gunk", we need a "Throw Mine" for Condi.

All that said, post patch I expect P/P all signet Mech to do 30k+ easy which certainly ain't bad. it's already doing this:

https://dps.report/V4eg-20230208-170343_golem

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Dont worry Anet promised to look at this after the barrier change. Its only been half a decade, give them some slack to fix things.

Anyway it always depend on the mode and whether you want to min-max meta. I still run p/p core engie in WvW and I've even ran p/p mechanist in OW PvE. I made it a benchmark to solo that stupid anti-range bubble-pull champion in Orr (you know who, surely lol) and it's pretty much the only all range built class I've managed with lol. But then again using the mech is a little cheating.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 5:08 PM, Jerus.4350 said:

Well said, and I agree.  I would love to see meaningful buffs to Flame Turret and Rocket Kick.  I think Grenade/Bomb/FT should still be best, but I'd love if Rocket Kick or Flame Turret could compete with FT if you weren't maximizing it for instance.   Or, make Slick Shoes apply random condi's in it's fields like "Gunk", we need a "Throw Mine" for Condi.

All that said, post patch I expect P/P all signet Mech to do 30k+ easy which certainly ain't bad. it's already doing this:

https://dps.report/V4eg-20230208-170343_golem

I was screwing around more with things this last weekend. 

You can get a P/P kitless Holo up to 27kish.  I'd call that a little less than Viable for instanced group content, but very fine for general play (and it comes with Rocket boots which are awesome in Open World)

Kitless Holo: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAoqlJwiYhsEGKOOL5vbA-zRJYmRDfZEXC0RBo50kipNAA-e

If you're willing to add in a single kit (instead of Laser Disk) you can get a bit closer to the 30k which personally is my goal for anything to be "viable". 

And here's a link for the Mech Build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAoqlxyeZwMXWMOOL5xaA-zRJYmRDfZEXC0RBo50kipNAA-e

Anyways, just thought I'd add some stuff. 

OP, for P/P Engi is your best bet.  The only catch is that Kits are actually going to be used more than the Pistols, but like I'm showing above, you can do ok without the Kits and finding a middle ground that works for you is just fine.   When you get into the higher end group play (T3+ fractals, EoD/BS/Whisper Strikes, or Raids) you will probably be under performing a bit without taking at least some kits.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:45 PM, PurpleRose.6921 said:

Hmm, a set up you can try could be something like this, to fit the theme...

pistol/pistol

carrion or rabid amu

smoldering and doom sigils

traveler or leadership rune

(this trait line is a must for condi engi) firearms: 1-1-3 (go 1 if you choose to use a flamethrower or 2 if you want to squeeze out more power damage, in which you would want to change your amu to either carrion or something else)

tools: 2-1-2

alchemy: 2-1-2

traits can be changed up to whatever you want, and utils you can do what you wish with those too.

18 hours ago, Ghos.1326 said:

(this trait line is a must for condi engi) firearms: 1-1-3 (go 1 if you choose to use a flamethrower or 2 if you want to squeeze out more power damage, in which you would want to change your amu to either carrion or something else)

Considering the massive nerfs the traitline saw in the big condi patch mjeeeeeh its not really that much of a must anymore unless you go specifically flamethrower. I've ran explosives/tools/alchemy on p/p rabid amulet just fine.

Granted its not gonna be min-maxed meta built.  But then again if you dont put forward a challenge to yourself whats the point 😛

Edited by Dawdler.8521

8 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Considering the massive nerfs the traitline saw in the big condi patch mjeeeeeh its not really that much of a must anymore unless you go specifically flamethrower. I've ran explosives/tools/alchemy on p/p rabid amulet just fine.

If you want to use pistols as your main weapons, like OP seems to want, then I feel like you are giving up too much by not taking firearms because you miss out on Chemical Rounds.

That 33% increase in condition duration of pistol skills, which is not even counting for the obtainable 100% bonus condition duration but applies to the baseline durations of the pistol skills, is just such a massive damage boost.

6 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

If you want to use pistols as your main weapons, like OP seems to want, then I feel like you are giving up too much by not taking firearms because you miss out on Chemical Rounds.

That 33% increase in condition duration of pistol skills, which is not even counting for the obtainable 100% bonus condition duration but applies to the baseline durations of the pistol skills, is just such a massive damage boost.

In PvE it is a damage boost, in sPvP/WvW the enemy usually cleanse conditions before +100% duration - or +10% duration for that matter. The one I quoted was talking about sPvP. Not sure what the OP wants.

If you've  got your heart set on being a pistol gunslinger, thief might be the better bet. P/P works fairly well on both daredevil and deadeye. As you might have gathered from previous posts, pistol engineer has a tendency to actually be a kit engineer that occasionally works pistol into the rotation.

If course, if your theme is of a gunslinger who's also happy to use a range of other weapons in addition to pistols, engineer would fit that like a glove.

• Like 1

Was inspired to try running a P/P Engi too after reading this because I love the gunslinger aesthetic too. I tried Firearms+Alchemy+Tools but it felt a little low damage for minimal sustain. So far I've had the most success using Explosives 2-1-3, Firearms 1-1-3, Inventions 1-2-2. Tried swapping from Big Boomer to Shrapnel but it didn't feel good. 

Gear is Celestial trinkets (because that's the only Condi gear I currently have) and Rampager armour+weapons (because I can't afford Vipers yet). So it's very much unoptimised, just running with whatever I can.

Overall it's been ok. Doesn't hit as hard obviously as Power but I like the gunslinger feel of it. I think swapping out Inventions for Holosmith will do more damage but (1) I don't find it fun managing the Forge mechanic in OW; (2) Holosmith isn't exactly the feel I'm going for.

Edited by serow.6524