What is hidden uder Rata Sum?

Lord Korag.8439

What (or who?) asura hide unter Rata Sum so much, that it is basically impossible to explore there? Should you jump (fall) there, you are teleported to prison before even hitting the ground, making it sure you would not be able to sniff there even if you manage to somehow survive the fall. Now, with the adding of Jade Bot terminals to the cities, should you try to explore the area with the bot, you will get disconnected from it with a message: Jade Bots are not allowed in this area. No other city has this function, as far as I know. Compared to the Grove, Rata Sum has that area nearly fully designed and completed, there is even some waypoint workshop down there. Back there at the launch you were able to rez yourself with a rez orb and march freely there, confirming there is no hole in the ground to the abyss or something (*looks at the Grove sceptically*). So, with so much security, the question is what so secret or valuable have the asura down there? Some supersecret (even Inquest) lab (subject Gama)? Or a Destroyer reactor powering the entire city (cooled by the water, ensuring they would not flow the city)? (This would also explain why Mordremoth avoided attacking it, despite being so close to a source of this much magics.) Give or take, this is very very suspicious (*looks at Phlunt suspiciously*).

Edited by Lord Korag.8439
  • Like 1

well i happensed to be aboard this floating cube wen the viny roots sprung from distance but they managed to hover the cube afar enuf to avoid being clinged by them, gladly. i would also assume the hardy magustan stones between helped a little for delay

but ive never looked under the parking slot, no! but one time out of boredom and curiousity i glided down to the valleys to the southeast, place is quite open and vast, yet so up n down alike! do recommend for picnic or other bloodrave whatever~

In game lore, the big ol' cube that is Rata Sum hovers above three things, the first two known and the third implied:

- A major ley line junction that Rata Sum taps for power. It's safe to assume there's vital machinery below the cube that keeps the city afloat, makes power and all that, hence the ultra-tight security down there.  
- Some old fortified ruins of unknown origin. It was speculated in prior arguments about the Asura's origins that maybe they were Mursaat ruins, but I remember someone else saying that you can see those ruins in GW1 and they don't look like Mursaat work.
- All the waste,  junk, failed experiments et al, dumped from Rata Sum. It's probably a Superfund site down there, which is a good reason to keep people out for safety reasons.

Edited by Jimbru.6014
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Blazing Rathalos.1904 said:

I always just assumed it was heavily undeveloped since players could not get there at launch. For one thing, a large chunk of the cube is actually not flying but sticking into the water. Wouldn't surprise me if the devs just didn't want players looking at the mess that might be there.

Was definitely possible to explore at launch. I distinctly remember jumping down to my death with a revive orb on my character to respawn me when I got down below.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Narcemus.1348 said:

Was definitely possible to explore at launch. I distinctly remember jumping down to my death with a revive orb on my character to respawn me when I got down below.

Are we talking about the floor low in the cube or the water underneath the cube here? Because the first is still reachable now.

13 hours ago, Blazing Rathalos.1904 said:

I always just assumed it was heavily undeveloped since players could not get there at launch. For one thing, a large chunk of the cube is actually not flying but sticking into the water. Wouldn't surprise me if the devs just didn't want players looking at the mess that might be there.

While the outside ground was originally reachable via revive orb or falling in the water as mentioned, this is basically the real reason. No secret lore, just ANet of 2013/2014 actually caring to not let players see parts of the map they weren't meant to, unlike post-PoF where springer, griffon, and skyscale break the maps in all sorts of ways. And now so do the jade bots in cities. And ANet don't care.

• Like 2

As additional note: u can seem rata sum from dragonstand, but the rata sum horizon in DS direction wasn't updated to HoT content(u see only big mountains).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sum_Viewer

heres a picture with better quality

https://external-preview.redd.it/EL9B3y-v8ANC1cQmT0lkEIW37udjISHmRiKoGhl8Snc.png?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=5720303dfd6448b746e2acf6662da8aaa772ac01

Dragon Stand also have 2 dropped POI's

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon's_Stand#Notes

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:53 PM, Jimbru.6014 said:

In game lore, the big ol' cube that is Rata Sum hovers above three things, the first two known and the third implied:

- A major ley line junction that Rata Sum taps for power. It's safe to assume there's vital machinery below the cube that keeps the city afloat, makes power and all that, hence the ultra-tight security down there.  
- Some old fortified ruins of unknown origin. It was speculated in prior arguments about the Asura's origins that maybe they were Mursaat ruins, but I remember someone else saying that you can see those ruins in GW1 and they don't look like Mursaat work.
- All the waste,  junk, failed experiments et al, dumped from Rata Sum. It's probably a Superfund site down there, which is a good reason to keep people out for safety reasons.

Are you sure it's powered by a ley-line and not hundreds of skritt running in a large mousewheel?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeracK.3601 said:

i would love to see ratasum and the grove be updated to be one big phase you could fly from the floor to the top of.

An easy exuse to update the ground below Rata Sum would be a rise of Primordus. You know, the ground, creatures from underground, Primordus killing asura, Primordus corrupting asura?!, new meta map next to Rata Sum, you know the stuff...

As for the Grove... *eyes on Mordremoth*

Sadly, they are both dead. So...

16 hours ago, Lord Korag.8439 said:

An easy exuse to update the ground below Rata Sum would be a rise of Primordus. You know, the ground, creatures from underground, Primordus killing asura, Primordus corrupting asura?!, new meta map next to Rata Sum, you know the stuff...

As for the Grove... *eyes on Mordremoth*

Sadly, they are both dead. So...

I feel like the grove they could do two ways. Something that involves using the harbor in the grove maybe going into the DoW? Or could just be something to resolve the whole Pale Tree is in a comma storyline.

Rata Sum the same way could be a easy set up if they do a story in the depths anytime soon where the Asura are making a tunnel down to reconnect with their homeland now that Primordus is dead. Could also have some good skrit stuff in a story like that.

Edited by TeeracK.3601

On 2/25/2023 at 12:33 AM, Migraine.5810 said:

Are you sure it's powered by a ley-line and not hundreds of skritt running in a large mousewheel?

That particular Inquest experiment got shut down by the Peacemakers for "humane" reasons (specifically, the Skritt smelled too bad to keep in the city). The Inquest then built Rata Primus in the Sandswept Isles to continue their Skritt power experiments unhindered, and the rest is history. 😉

• Like 1