Why does the Commander tag cost so much?

Batel.9206

I remember buying the original commander tag for 300g and then doing the catmander tags in WvW afterwards, but that was years of alcohol ago so I might have that backwards. Either way, I get a lot of mileage out of the commander tag in PVE, so it has definitely been worth the investment just for that. I deliberately DON'T tag up in WvW because I lack both the knowledge and attitude for it; a good commander knows their own limitations.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:01 AM, Rumpus.1234 said:

So, squads didn't exist in 2012?

About 90% of the game as we now have it didn't exist in 2012, and many things existed in 2012 that no longer do. It's been quite a journey for GW2 to get from where it started to where it is now; some of us are still playing the same old characters, but truth be told, it's almost an entirely different game now, and I mean that in a good way.

• Like 2

Ok, I admit, I was wrong about the wiki dates.  @Felix Omni.3829 Calling me a "Truther" is a bit extreme, but thanks for that hyperbole.  Truthers are someone that won't admit an error or continue to press their opinion in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I do not remember the GW2 wiki being any sort of decent resource.  Most of us used player owned/ made content for tips, etc.  Perhaps it was there--regrets to those of you that your wiki efforts for GW2 were unsung for some time after launch.

This "Truther" will just see themselves out of this conversation.

• Confused 5

7 hours ago, Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:

That is correct. The GW2 wiki was available to all players before 2012 and you cannot change the information about when pages are created or edited. For reference, this is the very first page created after the wiki software was installed: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?oldid=1

Somebody did a "first" edit in December 2007: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?oldid=28

Anyone interested can dig a lot deeper and see exactly how content was created on the wiki, which uses the free and open-source software MediaWiki. ArenaNet extremely rarely edits GW2 wiki pages as this is a space for players to create content!

Since ArenaNet rarely contributes that does lead to some pages not being completed so while it's probably not a job duty I do hope you ask employees to contribute if they are able. GW2 has no in-game guide like nearly every other game on the market and to be fully reliant on players to subsidize this I don't think is very congruent with a professional game studio.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

21 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Since ArenaNet rarely contributes that does lead to some pages not being completed so while it's probably not a job duty I do hope you ask employees to contribute if they are able. GW2 has no in-game guide like nearly every other game on the market and to be fully reliant on players to subsidize this I don't think is very congruent with a professional game studio.

Not trying to be a contrarian here or start a discourse, but I just wanted to point out that GW2 does, in fact, have an in-game "guide" made by the developers for new players as is the standard for MMOs nowadays-

Their guide is just somewhat poorly implemented, and rather than condensed to one easy-to-access menu, it's spread out across the tooltips and hints that pop up every time you level up and easy to miss if you're the type of person who just clicks "accept" without reading popups when you see them.

An image for reference: https://imgur.com/a/mnTfLKY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LichOverlord.6329 said:

Not trying to be a contrarian here or start a discourse, but I just wanted to point out that GW2 does, in fact, have an in-game "guide" made by the developers for new players as is the standard for MMOs nowadays-

Their guide is just somewhat poorly implemented, and rather than condensed to one easy-to-access menu, it's spread out across the tooltips and hints that pop up every time you level up and easy to miss if you're the type of person who just clicks "accept" without reading popups when you see them.

An image for reference: https://imgur.com/a/mnTfLKY

I get your point but spread out tooltips does not a guide make. Many of those show up once and are gone forever. We need a centralized guide and journal. Some of the story beats are written out but many characters in the wiki are not fleshed out at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I remember the tags being costly was to ensure that those using them are for more experienced players looking to lead others in group activities, mostly for WvW and several open world content. Sure, it takes tons of gold to get them nowadays, but its still worth it. If you are interested, there's also the Catmander Compendium that also lets you have commander tag.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well I hope someone has better google fu than me because I come up completely empty on any squad/com "guides" or similar 2012-2014 that show how it functioned

Wiki fu is easier. The wiki remembers.

Go into the GW2 wiki. Type "Squad" into the search field and click "Go" to bring up the current version of the Squad page. Alternatively, type "/wiki Squad" into game chat (or click on the following direct link).

At the top of the article, above the page title, click on the "history" (rightmost) tab. Scroll down to the bottom, and click on "Oldest".  Scroll down to the bottom again to find the original entry (dated 25 February 2012).

Click on the date field to see the page as it was originally. Then, if you feel so inclined, click repeatedly on the "Newer revision" link (in the box under the page title) to step through the many versions of the page as it (and the whole squad concept) evolved.

Edited by Doghouse.1562
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doghouse.1562 said:

Wiki fu is easier. The wiki remembers.

Go into the GW2 wiki. Type "Squad" into the search field and click "Go" to bring up the current version of the Squad page. Alternatively, type "/wiki Squad" into game chat (or click on the following direct link).

At the top of the article, above the page title, click on the "history" (rightmost) tab. Scroll down to the bottom, and click on "Oldest".  Scroll down to the bottom again to find the original entry (dated 25 February 2012).

Click on the date field to see the page as it was originally. Then, if you feel so inclined, click repeatedly on the "Newer revision" link (in the box under the page title) to step through the many versions of the page as it (and the whole squad concept) evolved.

Great!

Now explain how all that which we already knew worked in practice because that tell us very little except there was squad chat and 30 players could join.

• Confused 1