WvW Objective Reward Scaling

Eudaimonia.8695

Just now, Gibson.4036 said:

Yeah, reading that update, it looks like at first they're increasing the rewards less than they intend, so they can make sure nothing goes screwy, then increase them more later.

And it would have been more appreciated if they had stated it was going to be a test phase first, and not stated in a front page news story and then patch notes as if it was fully done and completed to add.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

And it would have been more appreciated if they had stated it was going to be a test phase first, and not stated in a front page news story and then patch notes as if it was fully done and completed to add.

100% agreed. It was quite a surprise to have found out this is a testing phase. I'll be curious to player later today and see how it's actually working out.

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

They kind of did state it's testing phase, but yea the jargon gets in the way of understanding.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

This. It's understandable, but it killed my hype train a bit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-objective-scaling-rewards/

OK, lets look at that:
Additional rewards for

• (1) Successful assaults: flipping control of the objective.
  • (2) Successful defenses: Repel the Attackers events, which end after three minutes.
  • (3) Unsuccessful defenses: losing the objective when the attackers successfully take control of it.
  • (4) Additionally, we want failed assaults to be rewarded in this fashion. This is currently not functioning, and we are working on it for a future update.

(1) currently is the most rewarding and done by "the zerg" very quicky. Single/small groups will flip slower (e.g. because they need longer to build siege and use siege). Making that more rewarding gives proportionally more to the big group and not to the small.
(2) & (3) currently not rewarding and punishing, because you don't get any item rewards, not WxP, lose supply and lose participation. Activities that stalled the loss of participation have been taken away by ANet's patch that removed WxP from repairing. The longer you try defending the more you lose, because you do not participate in an activity that helps you progress (because successful defence is negligible). Adding rewards to (3) sounds like you could open the door to "help tagging" without even helping by the large group (which will still be better off doing (1) more often. 
(4) This is additional rewards for attacking, on top of (1) being the best thing to do for rewards.
Because attacking has to be initial motivation for conflict and not stalemate fights forever, (1) attacking kind of has to be the best way to earn rewards. Giving it the icing on the cake with (4) might not shift the focus to defence, when (2) and (3) rewards don't get raised close to (1)+(4). If failing and attack and failing a defence are similarly weighted, the big attacker will always be the one favoured by the system.

"First off, this system doesn’t touch camps, the dolyak events, or other aspects of WvW. It’s only for attacking or defending the event objectives of towers, keeps, and castles."
So roamers and small groups don't get anything out of the reward improvements.

"it will take more active participation in the form of defeating guards and opposing players and/or standing in the circle to complete the capture process to achieve silver- and gold-tier rewards."
Currently you can kill guards at far away gates to earn participation. Does that mean you have to tag the lord now? Is that really the problem for the large group that most likely ploughs through the structure? What about the small guy, you keeps the gate open and holds back defenders coming in, without being at the lord. Most likely that guy will have a harder time getting his reward. As long as bronze, silver and gold rewards are pretty much giving the same participation time (e.g. 10 min) all of that is irrelevant and WxP don't really matter for the zerg, because they flip faster than small groups.

"Lastly, in terms of rewards per time spent, for active participants this system will provide significantly better rewards, including rare equipment bags, WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets, or even Grandmaster Mark Shards."
This is a carrot on a stick. It is like telling me precursor weapons drop everywhere in game. Not wrong, but highly unlikely.

"and scaling those rewards based on participation and upgrade status, we anticipate players will engage in more direct conflict as opposed to moving from one undefended objective to another."
Good, but who has those higher tier castles and keeps. Those with superior numbers on the map. We have come full circle to the map population issues again.

Unless defence participation, either successful or unsuccessful gets significant reward buffs a small defender team can get, the increase to already good attacking rewards + attacking failed rewards will hardly change anything from what I have read.

Surprise me ANet! Make me defend a tower against impossible odds and not turn around to cap a sentry, because that will be the objectively better option.

Can see this running in a number of directions but won't theory craft it more till we can see it. Agree concerned with 2&3 vs 1&4 but could also picture ways this could work, but again lets see it and go from there.

Second report

Captured T3 Bay

Some resistance 10-15

1 Bag of gear

7 Crafting material coffers

2 Grandmaster mark shards!

Not from skirmish chest as I'm still 2 of 4 in skirmish bronze chests.

edit: we're trying for t3 smc, let's see how that goes and rewards, maybe...

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 3

Grandmaster mark shards ... interesting. What about people that do not need them - is there at least a good way to turn them into a bit of money? (If not ... then in the long term they might stack up even for players that can still make use of them. At some point then being worth less.)

• Confused 1

Going to be honest, after about an hour of playing, the rewards seem almost too generous imo, for context I mostly roam but was defending SMC for about 30 minutes on a single-target/support class.

In addition to the "normal" WvW loot (reward track, heavy loot bags, etc..) I got:

• 4 thimbles of WXP (2500 ea)
  • 1 Swig of WXP (10k)
  • 45 "crafting material coffers" these had a LOT of T6 mats in them given how frequently you get them, about as much in those 45 as you'd normally get from 100+ Heavy Loot bags i'd say
  • 6 rare loot bags (1 unid rare each)
  • 10 Grandmaster mark shards
  • 5 rare Unid, 30+ green unid and 5 "bags of gear" (the kind you get from Silverwastes)

I also got some tickets/badges but since those went into the currency tab I've no idea how many.

Overall a decent haul considering I barely felt like I did anything and that's mostly just from defending a single (T3 SM) objective and capping 2 paper towers after 30 or so minutes, I tagged maybe like 50 players and a few guards. Part of me worries that if it's always like this then it will promote farming/afking but it did seem to require a decent amount of participation to hit the "gold" rank.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Second report, took a t3 bay, some resistance, 1 bag of gear, 7 crafting material coffers, 2 grandmaster mark shards!, not from skirmish chest as I'm still 2 of 4 in skirmish bronze chests.

edit: we're trying for t3 smc, let's see how that goes and rewards, maybe...

Aren't you on TC? If so, STOP PPTing! You know why. 🥺

1 hour ago, Evenge.4067 said:

Aren't you on TC? If so, STOP PPTing! You know why. 🥺

No, I'm on ET linked with FA, we're free to ppt cause we losing lol. 🤭

We just took

Captured T3 SMC, like 30 mins of trying to clear the lords room.

8 Crafting material coffers.

3 Grandmaster mark shards.

Couple other bags.

Haven't seen tickets dropping.

Also got two exotics from somewhere, I don't tend to see those often either so...

It is a lot more generous than I thought it would be!

Probably nerfed by tomorrow. 🤭🍿

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

So slightly off topic (though related), but what's the point of the mark shards? Like, other than crafting leg. armor, do they have a point? They're one of those thing that Ive just got stacking up in my bank. Haven't seen them as particularly useful thus far.

Use 10 shards to make a mark, you need 3 marks for getting each ascended gear and weapons off the skirmish vendor.

It's a freebie cause normally you would have to craft them instead in pve.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Xenesis.6389 said:

I'm a little excited for more crafting materials tbh, usually the hold up on my legendaries.

Seems like you've gotten quite a few today. So I expect it might get nerfed, which is sad. But I'll be happy to jump in after work as get some WvW time in to gather what I can. It's really nice that you get them just in the course of playing as normal.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Seems like you've gotten quite a few today. So I expect it might get nerfed, which is sad. But I'll be happy to jump in after work as get some WvW time in to gather what I can. It's really nice that you get them just in the course of playing as normal.

Yeah wvw =/= generous usually.

But let's keep in mind it was all t3 examples so far.

Having said that...

Captured T0 SMC

No resistance

2 Bags of gear

5 Crafting material coffers

1 Grandmaster mark shard...

SMC defense event

5 Crafting material coffers

1 Grandmaster mark shard

yeah.. this is getting nerfed for sure... 😢

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Alrighty grandmaster shards are pretty common in the drops now, and I think I just got a skirmish ticket of a defense...

"a" skirmish ticket? as in 1? Just asking for clarification.
and the mark shards being fairly common shouldn't be a big deal since you still have to pay in tickets and MoB for the weapons/armor (having looked it up from here). There are still much much easier way to get geared in ascendeds if someone needs to gear up.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

"a" skirmish ticket? as in 1? Just asking for clarification.
and the mark shards being fairly common shouldn't be a big deal since you still have to pay in tickets and MoB for the weapons/armor (having looked it up from here). There are still much much easier way to get geared in ascendeds if someone needs to gear up.

Yup, a whole 1 of them, lol.

I noticed it's not showing up in the chat as loot, (never noticed that before), so I probably missed more of it.

So just more of a confirmation that they do indeed drop from events.

Edited by Xenesis.6389