"Cringe Mesmers... No portal"

That's the comment I and another Mesmer player just got from the Commander of our 10-player squad at the end of Dragonstorm. For your information: it takes you 2 seconds longer to get to the syphon crystal by mount (so why waste a skill slot on a portal?).

It's just one many incidents lately where people get toxic when there are no portal shortcuts being used or when you miss their hectically placed portals (e.g. in Fractals).

What's up with the portal madness of late? Like, you can't actually enjoy playing the content in a relaxed manner, you have to rush through it, even if it's just a few seconds you save? 🤦‍♂️

Opinions?

Edit:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

If you don’t want to rush the content, make your own group. If a commander asks for a portal as a Mesmer you should place a portal. That’s not too much to ask, is it? 
Dragonstorm is old content and most of us enjoyed it often enough, so now we want to rush it. It is not difficult content where you need all your skills. You were two Mesmers and none of you bothered to equip the portal? 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

If you don’t want to rush the content, make your own group. If a commander asks for a portal as a Mesmer [...]

No one asked for it, it's being presumed you place one there, because - you know - Mesmers. And DS was just one example.

Another toxic reaction came in the Twilight Oasis fractal, when a player placed a White Mantle portal where they died (you know, the part where Joko turns you into Awakened) to get to the next platform faster and got mad that two people didn't make it through the portal in time before it closed. Took 10 seconds longer to get there by foot (the horror!).

Don't tell me that's how the game is supposed to be played? :classic_dry:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 9
  • Confused 3

It's not new. A few years ago someone said they were going to report me for trolling because they refused to believe my elementalist was not a mesmer and I couldn't place portals for them even if I wanted to. They never actually asked, just kept saying "portal" in say chat every 30 seconds or so, then when they got to the end of the jumping puzzle and saw me there too they whispered to say they were reporting me for trolling because I didn't drop a portal for them. I said "I can't, I'm an elementalist" and they just said "lol troll caster" and left.

Of course nothing ever came of it (I don't even know if they really reported me) but they clearly thought I was being unreasonable by not carrying them.

16 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

If you don’t want to rush the content, make your own group. If a commander asks for a portal as a Mesmer you should place a portal. That’s not too much to ask, is it? 
Dragonstorm is old content and most of us enjoyed it often enough, so now we want to rush it. It is not difficult content where you need all your skills. You were two Mesmers and none of you bothered to equip the portal? 

I know nothing about the context of the OP's post but I just want to point out that this goes both ways. If a commander is expecting mesmers to place portals (or anyone else to use specific skills) they should say so in advance, not complain about them not doing it after the fact.

I wasn't there so I don't know if that happened or not (that would be helpful context) but it's important not to assume everyone else is used to doing an event the same way you are and will have the build you would be running if you were playing that profession.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I wasn't there so I don't know if that happened or not

True, we only know one side of the story and we don’t know if this happened like OP claimed it happened. It’s always easy to shame someone who can’t present his side of the story. 
I can just say that the Mesmer I am doing DS 10 with always places a portal at the end. It’s pretty common. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

2 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's not new. A few years ago someone said they were going to report me for trolling because they refused to believe my elementalist was not a mesmer and I couldn't place portals for them even if I wanted to. They never actually asked, just kept saying "portal" in say chat every 30 seconds or so, then when they got to the end of the jumping puzzle and saw me there too they whispered to say they were reporting me for trolling because I didn't drop a portal for them. I said "I can't, I'm an elementalist" and they just said "lol troll caster" and left.

Wow. Just... wow.

That really makes playing endgame content like Fractals stressful, you know? Either being expected to port or hastily having to take a placed portal. Of course there are scenarios where it makes sense, but in most places you barely save any time. It's just insane!

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If a commander is expecting mesmers to place portals (or anyone else to use specific skills) they should say so in advance, not complain about them not doing it after the fact.

This, too.

1 minute ago, vares.8457 said:

True, we only know one side of the story

There is no side to the story. They didn't say they wanted a portal, they just assumed you'd place one at the end and got toxic in chat when we flew up the small hill by mount instead, which - as stated before - took only 2 more seconds than taking a portal.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I am saving a lot more time doing extra DPS with proper skills than wasting a skill slot for a portal so I can save 2-3 seconds at the end.

Seriously... 🤦‍♂️

You don’t have to equip the portal the whole fight, you can equip it just before the last cc phase. You get out of combat 
you don’t have to waste a skill slot …

Edited by vares.8457
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9

Just now, vares.8457 said:

You don’t have to equip the portal the whole fight, you can equip it just before the last breakbar phase … you don’t have to waste a skill slot 

Why should I bother for an extra 2-3 seconds, though? There are situations where a portal makes total sense and saves not only a lot of time but also saves the group from taking more damage. And then there are these stressful nonsense situations where you just have to wonder why people these days are in such a rush while playing a game that a few seconds matter to them in such a scenario?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Why should I bother for an extra 2-3 seconds, though? There are situations where a portal makes total sense and saves not only a lot of time but also saves the group from taking more damage. And then there are these stressful nonsense situations where you just have to wonder why people these days are in such a rush while playing a game that a few seconds matter to them in such a scenario?

Then don’t bother. But don’t wonder that you get called out. It is just a common strategy in DS. It’s not only about saving time but also about convenience. 
Why is it so terrible to do this little thing for your team mates? 
I really don’t understand the drama you make about this. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 14

Just now, vares.8457 said:

Then don’t bother. But don’t wonder that you get called out.

:classic_huh:

Portals make sense in the Harvest Temple strike CM, or in the Molten Furnace fractal where you can skip tons of dredge. It doesn't make sense to ask for portals just everywhere for the sake of saving a few seconds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Teamplay? It's just adding unnecessary stress to my gaming experience.

I am very much a teamplayer, but there are things that are just ridiculous to expect and take for granted.

Maybe play a different class then if you think placing a portal is too stressful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 19

1 hour ago, vares.8457 said:

Maybe play a different class then if you think placing a portal is too stressful. 

LOL

Swapping skills for no good reason other than people's laziness is what I consider an unnecessary effort. Also, I gave other examples of "portal stress" in my follow-up posts on here that weren't about me.

Don't twist my words. 😉 

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

How I see it:
If it was communicated before the start of the fight then the portal is reasonably expected. 
If it was communicated during the fight, the person expecting the portal should be aware they reasonably might not get the portal. And it's for whatever reason -whether it's mesmer literally not feeling like it; not knowing what exactly is expected from them (newer players -or even players who don't usually get ported in that specific content- exist) or anything else, if it was not specified before the start then don't expect it. 
If it was not communicated at all (or right up until the last moment) then simply expect to not get a portal, at this point you agreed to roll a dice whether or not a random player will do what you want them to do. 

All it is about is communication and understanding that people might have not been playing that content as much/long as the person requesting shortcuts. On the other hand if someone told me something like "cringe mesmers... no portal", I have to say I wouldn't really care.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

How I see it:
If it was communicated before the start of the fight then the portal is reasonably expected. 
If it was communicated during the fight, the person expecting the portal should be aware they reasonably might not get the portal. And it's for whatever reason -whether it's mesmer literally not feeling like it; not knowing what exactly is expected from them (newer players -or even players who don't usually get ported in that specific content- exist) or anything else, if it was not specified before the start then don't expect it. 
If it was not communicated at all (or right up until the last moment) then simply expect to not get a portal, at this point you agreed to roll a dice whether or not a random player will do what you want them to do. 

All it is about is communication and understanding that people might have not been playing that content as much/long as the person requesting shortcuts. On the other hand if someone told me something like "cringe mesmers... no portal", I have to say I wouldn't really care.

I agree. That's what I was trying to say earlier.

If the mesmers in the squad weren't told in advance that they're expected to provide portals then there shouldn't be any expectation that they will, even if that commander has previously played with mesmers who do. If they think it's important then they need to say so in advance. Equally if the commander does require specific things and a player isn't willing or able to provide it then they should find a different group or switch professions. (Or if there's enough time whisper the commander to discuss it.)

It's the same with everything. You can't assume someone is going to provide specific boons or combo fields or whatever based on their profession or elite spec, or whether they know the mechanics and your preferred way of doing it, so the commander needs to either ask in advance or work around what is happening during the fight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Player should stop making assumptions on how someone plays their profession. Mesmers are no portal slaves. Some provide you with portals but you should not count on it and act disappointed when they don't.

Same with PvP. I play Tempest, as DPS and node capper. One of the popular builds for Tempest is support. Sometimes I run to the home node from start to capture it and sometimes team members complain that their "Support" did not go with team. They did not ask me if I was support, they just assumed I would be. And assumed it wrong.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

...People expect portals in DS of all places???

I've would've been with the other argument if it was something like Harvest Temple, but DS?????

I don't think I ever encountered that in all of my time of playing DS. Holy wow. Even when I played on mes I don't think I ever had someone even demand something like that. That's just ridiculous. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Commander sounds entitled, OP.

Tag or no tag, if you don't communicate your needs/expectations to your group, you look like a toddler when you pitch a fit over those needs not being met. Doubly so if it's in an instance with only ten people in it and you still can't be bothered. Triply so if it's Dragonstorm where portals do not matter. Quadruply if it's a group of people you don't play with on a regular basis or have established gameplay techniques for. It's the equivalent of going into a new bar and being upset that the bartender doesn't mix your drink 'the way you like it' even though 'the guy at my old bar always does'.

You see this kind of behavior often in other instanced content (Dungeons, Fractals). Half the party wordlessly tries to cheese mechanics and skip through mobs, the other half tries to do the mechanics and kill everything. In those situations, you can either roll with what's going on, or learn to communicate better when forming/working with your group. Would love to see more of the latter.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

How I see it:

It was not, but that's not the point. 🙂

The point of this thread isn't "Somebody was mean to me, boohoo"😉, but "Why are people in such a horrendous rush that they expect/place portals at every occasion, even if it saves only a few seconds of time?"

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It was not, but that's not the point. 🙂

The point of this thread isn't "Somebody was mean to me, boohoo"😉, but "Why are people in such a horrendous rush that they expect/place portals at every occasion, even if it saves only a few seconds of time?"

I think it might be less about the time and more about the convenience of not running  😄  Maybe a little bit of both.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1