About the new direction of GW2 / 2023 Q1 Roadmap [Merged]

27 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

No they said 2 at release then 1 more over the quarter releases how many that happen to be.

I mean you will get story bits the fractal cm and the strike cms on those quarterly releases aswell but go reread that announcement again bud.

That's somewhat hostile attitude you have there "bud".

So if it's only 2+1 maps, then the next expac won't be far behind. That is the point of the new model, to have more consistent release schedule. And in the end we do not know enough yet, because of the vague wording in the news post. I'd rather wait than assume anything.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Yes, right before the sentence you quoted, I said the future quarterly updates aren't free.

No, LW seasons were not gifted free to active players. They were included in the cost of the latest expansion if you were still an active player. If you were an active player and didn't buy the expansion, you didn't get them until you bought the expansion.

This was the marketing trick of LW.

Buy expansion, get some of the content release later is the model before, and it's the model now. The difference is cadence, and that players will no longer be charged extra for not being there when the later content was released.

But you do get them they are unlocked on my core account alt I just need to buy expansions to access them that is a different story.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

That's somewhat hostile attitude you have there "bud".

So if it's only 2+1 maps, then the next expac won't be far behind. That is the point of the new model, to have more consistent release schedule. And in the end we do not know enough yet, because of the vague wording in the news post. I'd rather wait than assume anything.

Oh it will be they can cut up that map 5 times if they have to.

And then dont forget festivals and cm strikes/fractal that can be released in different quarterly releases if needed.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

But you do get them they are unlocked on my core account alt I just need to buy expansions to access them that is a different story.

That... makes them....

...not...

...free.

That just means you avoided having to pay extra for them if you buy the expansion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That... makes them....

...not...

...free.

That just means you avoided having to pay extra for them if you buy the expansion.

That makes them free yes Im not paying for them if I want to play them I have to pay for something else tho.

It is like the buy 1 get one free deals.

• Confused 4

25 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

That makes them free yes Im not paying for them if I want to play them I have to pay for something else tho.

It is like the buy 1 get one free deals.

So you've got a free dessert waiting at my house if you come over and pay me to make you dinner.

Totally a free gift. It's yours. Imma sharpie your name on the container so we all know it's yours.

But...

...it's going to stay in my fridge until you buy that meal.

Generous me. 👨‍🍳

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

On 2/17/2023 at 1:51 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

BTW is this really that unusual? Isn't that how most games work?

The only game I've played where you can get all the new stuff for free is Pokemon Go, and new content in that game is pretty minimal and heavily time-gated if you don't pay for extra uses. For example you can do 1 raid per day for free, if you want more you have to pay for tokens and many of the special pokemon are only available from raids with a very low catch rate so at 1 per day you're unlikely to get many of them.

With everything else if a new expansion or DLC, or a new game in a series comes out you have to pay for it even if you bought the last release. My other MMO is Elder Scrolls Online and that works the same way, even current subscribers have to pay extra if they want new chapters when they're first released (or they can wait a year for them to be re-branded DLC) and you either subscribe or pay directly for the DLC.

I can't keep up with all the new games out there so maybe there's a whole monetisation system I've missed just because of the kind of games I tend to play, but to me having to pay if I want more of a game seems entirely normal.

I appreciate you and everyone else for their feedback to my questions.
I apologize for taking long to reply.

By reading your response the ones from other members here, i also respect and understand that there are different ways to monetize content for a game, especially a MMORPG, personally i prefer to pay for expansions and for a monthly subscription.

For now, I will not be playing GW2 and will see how things play out over time.

• Confused 1