So, can we finally get rid of transmutation charges?

Gibson.4036

I think the existence of Transmutation Charges is fine, but they're a rarity in PvE as you only get them from completing maps or from the daily login a few times a month. Players who have alot of them likely play the competitive modes which rain charges down on you like candy.

We need a more consistent way to obtain them in PvE, like from strike missions.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But if I changed looks to suit zones, or because I was hanging out at the beach, or because I want to go festival themed just for each festival... and especially if I started regularly randomizing just for the giggles... I'd burn through them fast.

Guess you need to get legendary gear then 🤔

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

Don't see a problem with them. I have more than thousand at least. They have ways to obtain them - even at the festival weekly vendor. Yes it might be slow for new players. Then again: You can decide to not change the style every time. Or keeping different types of sets (which then would of course use more bank space).

They want to sell stuff and there needs to be a way in between removing stuff or having it totally rare. The current system seems fine though and the "change the whole style for every holiday" seems a bit extreme and they should not balance around this. More balancing around the average player instead. I realize I am not average since I do not change style at all (or only super rare).

What is the average player now? I guess they regularly want to keep up with the latest fancy skins from store, achievements or elsewhere. Updating  a few pieces (not a full set) every few months ... or maybe weeks - one a main and maybe 1-2 alts.

One thing they could do: The gem store bought stuff (bought with gems) having cost on charges to apply later. For the stuff from achievements or trading post or loot - earned there ... it should cost. There is still a lot of stuff you can earn by playing (I actually prefer those more) and for the gem store stuff you already paid gems.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, BatelGeuce.3591 said:

Guess you need to get legendary gear then 🤔

Or even have dedicated sets if the argument here really is supposed to be that he keeps changing looks to fit the zones he's in. As for "randomizing just for the giggles", you (OP) can always not press "apply" and still giggle.

And yeah, for the "I don't like appearance changes while leveling up" there are outfits.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Good points.

12 hours ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

When considering ideas it is important to also think about 1) the longevity of the game (does it support Arenanet, does it support development.)

This is definitely one of those questions that is totally key, but can't lead to much real discussion, since we don't really know what kind of return ArenaNet gets on them. Personally, I find it hard to believe that very many people actually spend money to get gems for transmutation charges. Then again, I'm amazed by the prices of many of the things in the gem store, and that people are willing to buy them.

Some people have a lot of disposable income.

12 hours ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

2) does it impact important incentives for certain areas of the game? (it is a reward that players used to earn?) 

I know it's human nature to assume everyone is like us. So I share my experience with that understanding. It's just my experience.

Transmutation charges have always been one of those rewards that drops while I'm doing something for completely different reasons. I've zone completed for GoE and even keys. I play PvP because I enjoy it and I'm steadly working toward leggie gear. There's usually something else more desirable that is being rewarded, and the charges feel like reward filler, along the lines of unid dyes, tp to friends, and the cannisters formerly known as repair.

Maybe there are people who actively farm them? I'd love to hear from someone who does. Bonus if they can say they find it an enjoyable part of the game.

I've enjoyed my journey to get my characters in full ascended weapons and trinkets. My aquisition of mounts. My earning of legendary gear. I've never seen transmutation charges as a desireable goal, fun to pursue.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

... What would replace the transmutation charges?...

They could sub in Armor repair canisters. Oh, wait...

I'd be good with a pass through the various rewards for an overhaul, eliminating both those items. Getting a canister almost feels insulting now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The transmutation system is clunky, I doubt many would disagree here. 

A removal of transmutation charges would open up more freedom for new ideas, say a random wardrobe system mirroring the random dye system for example.

The main issues here have been mentioned but let's recap:

- it's part of the games monetization and very likely not a small one, at least not insignificant (I know player who regularly spend money on nee charges and make over kits)

- it's part of the reward system both as counterbalance to black lion keys for map completion (who doesn't love that charge instead of the key....) as well as encourage pve players step into competative modes

- it's a quality of life benefit of going for legendary gear. Legendary gear in turn has become this games "solution" to extend player motivation for gearing. The developers spent a lot of effort and pushing legendary qol to get more players gmhunt those shinies. Legendary gear is also the backbone of this game economy

As such simply removing transmutation charges is not that easy a task. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

No they weren’t annoying, I play a lot of WvW and PvP so I never run out of transmutation charges. They are not even a minor annoyance and the game wouldn’t be better without them. You would take away one of the few rewards where WvW and PvP is better than PvE and you would take away one benefit of legendary gear. 

So how about making them salvagable? In fact, everything like that should be salvagable: Armor-Reinforcing Canisters, Revive Orbs, Emblems of the Avenger, Emblems of the Conqueror,  all the different Boosters, and any skin/mini/weapons/armor you can't sell and don't want.

If ANet wants more money, they could sell Garbage Salvage Kits for those kinds of items.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

46 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

So how about making them salvagable? In fact, everything like that should be salvagable: Armor-Reinforcing Canisters, Revive Orbs, Emblems of the Avenger, Emblems of the Conqueror,  all the different Boosters, and any skin/mini/weapons/armor you can't sell and don't want.

If ANet wants more money, they could sell Garbage Salvage Kits for those kinds of items.

Since we can buy 2 transmutation charges for 1 BL statuette, make it also tradable the other way with increased price, so -lets say- 10 charges to get a BL statuette. Apply with some high conversion rates to other "garbage tier" BL items and they become slightly less garbage in the long run with potential to trade them into something of your choice.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Since we can buy 2 transmutation charges for 1 BL statuette, make it also tradable the other way with increased price, so -lets say- 10 charges to get a BL statuette. Apply with some high conversion rates to other "garbage tier" BL items and they become slightly less garbage in the long run with potential to trade them into something of your choice.

Exactly. Something like that would be perfect. I have 663 of these things in my wallet. I very rarely, if ever, use them. I would never buy them, that's for sure. So let me do something...anything...with them.

• Like 1

I want a way to earn them in PvE. 2/3 of the characters I play have map completion in every zone so they will never earn me a charge again. Maybe give them out for every X events completed or give 1 for completing a big meta event? IDK.

I did craft medium legendary armor very recently and one of the reasons was free transmog but I wouldn't feel "ripped off" if they removed the system.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I'd love to know how much Anet actually makes from transmutation charges. I don't doubt there are people who buy them, but I'd be surprised if it's a lot.

I'm mainly a PvE player and never felt limited by them. I will transmute low level equipment if I feel like it, even on tempoary characters. (Especially on tempoary characters, because I can't wait until they're level 80 to get the look I want if they're not going to stick around that long.) I've also changed something then decided I don't like it and changed it again without a second thought. In theory I keep a minimum of 14 charges (enough to change everything on 1 character, including their underwater weapons and aquabreather) but I can't remember the last time I had less than 100.

So having them doesn't bother me, but that means the restriction feels a bit pointless and like it's an artefact of the transition from the old transmutation system (which was removed in 2014). I think it would make more sense to get rid of them, and it wouldn't be the first time Anet made a change which might cost them money. (At one point people said we'd never get anything like the wallet because people bought bank tabs and even extra characters to hold all those tokens.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Maybe there are people who actively farm them? I'd love to hear from someone who does. Bonus if they can say they find it an enjoyable part of the game.

I wouldn't say I find it "enjoyable" per se, but what I do after each key run is complete Southsun Cove real quick for the transmutation charge (not to mention bonus 10 karka shells, which are worth 3.64-4.29s each).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree in one way, I also think that you can get them from many sources in-game, just by playing (not to mention the gem store).

All you need to do is to play the game a bit, and you'll have more of them. So not really necessary in my opinion. Some people have over 1000 transmutation charges, and I had around 50+ until I made some alts. And now those alts are earning them back by doing map completions (and from other sources).

31 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

I am swimming in the charges from pvp and wvw but it is fair to say PVE lacks. 

A PVE reward track works nicely imo, maybe even remove the shard reward fom level gain and add that onto the reward track as an option as well.

I am against this. PvE already is the most rewarding game mode, there should be some few items that are easier to get in WvW and PvP. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

I am against this. PvE already is the most rewarding game mode, there should be some few items that are easier to get in WvW and PvP. 

Transmutations is not the right item to target for this however as that is a universal benefit we should all enjoy and have fair access to (i do agree some items should be unique for each environment to encourage cross play)

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5