Did Chromium Embedded Framework go live? [Merged]

garpu.6210

58 minutes ago, Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:

Quick update: we plan to update the game browser to Chromium Embedded Framework in two weeks. There shouldn’t be any visible impact on the player experience.

Is the Chromium stuff just a back end thing or the UI will change in some way?

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:

Quick update: we plan to update the game browser to Chromium Embedded Framework in two weeks. There shouldn’t be any visible impact on the player experience.

Thanks for the head's up!  Out of curiosity, has anyone tested it on Steam Deck or proton?

50 minutes ago, TheThief.8475 said:

Is the Chromium stuff just a back end thing or the UI will change in some way?

It's just a web browser they use to show web pages in-game. The launcher and BLTC for example are web pages. You likely won't even notice the change.

The surprising thing is... no beta? I'd expect a beta after the new version of CoherentUI they switched to back in July broke the game for some people.

Edited by Healix.5819

36 minutes ago, dXfile.2863 said:

Wait, we won't notice any impact? I thought it was supposed to make the BLTC/TP run a lot smoother (I could be wrong). 

Visible impact. As in, it'll look the same.

Hopefully it'll run faster though. I had no idea those other parts of the game that_shaman noted pulled stuff from the web. Makes perfect sense why they're so sluggish though...

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

Visible impact. As in, it'll look the same.

Hopefully it'll run faster though. I had no idea those other parts of the game that_shaman noted pulled stuff from the web. Makes perfect sense why they're so sluggish though...

Guess I interpreted "any visible impact on the player experience" like "any noticeable changes for you" or something. If they meant that there won't be any impact in the graphics, that's fine, I understand that no one should be expecting that. I'm just actually excited for the BLTC/TP to run smoother.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Padrion.7382 said:

As a Linux player I have a bad feeling about this. Last time they did a major change I wasn't able to play for some month...

AFAIK, CEF works fine with proton, but there are some chromium browser things that don't. (vuplex, whatever staxel is using.) Then again, this time with the UI change, Steam has a vested interest in getting it working.

On 3/2/2023 at 3:54 PM, Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:

I hope it runs smoother, and we don't have huge delays when waiting on items to list / sell.

• Sad 1