Core Ranger More Viable for PVP after update?

Fenris.8563

Does this update make Core Ranger more 'acceptable' and viable for conquest PVP?   Once I reached gold I started getting kitten for playing core ranger (Before matches even started) and I wound up switching to untamed.  How are people feeling about core ranger after the update?

edit:  I should have probably been a little more specific because of the nature of the updates.

I usually play Axe/Warhorn | Great Sword.    So I feel like these updates (with lower cooldowns) can give -at least my- core ranger build at least a semi significant boost.   

Edited by Fenris.8563

1 minute ago, Beddo.1907 said:

It's closer to Untamed now, but not because core was buffed, but because Untamed lost Traversal into precast skill.

Honestly core probably will never be better than Untamed, but I don't think I'd force you to swap if you know what you are doing.

That's the thing.  I've only been playing since November (and early on I began with Warrior, swapped with some other jobs, etc. before deciding to focus on Ranger).   I'm still trying to find my place in PVP (for now, just 5v5 conquest, although I want to get into WvW soonish).    I've recently been playing untamed (and I have had positive results, but I feel like I did more DPS as a core ranger usually).   But the results have been kinda mixed.  I've had plenty of instances playing untamed where my DPS seemed solid+.    So I am just trying to get some feedback without pissing people off in game too much by bouncing back and forth between builds lol  I mean I honestly don't get many complaints it was just 1-2 ppl who were probably just being a certain way.   I just want to make sure I'm helping my team.   I prefer to roam and I have a tendency to side cap when I see an opportunity.  

5 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

What’s your build? Almost anything half decent can get you into gold

This is my build at this very moment.  Please keep in mind it's not quite what I've been using lately lol because I decided messing around with it and kinda got lost in what I was doing trying different things, but I think this is pretty close to what it was.  In the past, I was going for more ferocity and precision.   But I took someones advice in implemented Wilderness Survival to go for more stability.  I'm having trouble being happy with having more stability but doing the damage I was doing before.    Now I am kinda not sure which direction to go in.   I really want to stick with some combo of GS and axe (whether I use dual axes, axe/dagger, or axe/warhorn).   I don't specifically just want to get into gold.  I've been gold for some time until I started experimenting this weekend + got into a bunch of toxic solo ques and dropped to silver lol.   I just want to improve in general and make sure I'm going in the right direction with my build.  

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MsMDWIrj5xOxz7aNuXyxeD-zZALkGLgMThejA/GAA

Edited by Fenris.8563

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_Core_Valkyrie

this build was meta before EOD. Keep in mind you are going to struggle in this current meta without longbow. You are best fighting on side nodes but the good side node builds, mainly virtuoso and spell breaker are going to eat you alive melee range. 

If gold is your goal and you want to run axe and gs try this gimmick build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MsMDWIrj5xOxi9a/pXi0HD-zZILkGLgMThejATGAA

use wh 4, one wolf pack, and smoke assault at the same time to shred through people. Follow up with a gs combo for good measure. Utilities can be changed out for your preference.

23 minutes ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_Core_Valkyrie

this build was meta before EOD. Keep in mind you are going to struggle in this current meta without longbow. You are best fighting on side nodes but the good side node builds, mainly virtuoso and spell breaker are going to eat you alive melee range. 

If gold is your goal and you want to run axe and gs try this gimmick build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MsMDWIrj5xOxi9a/pXi0HD-zZILkGLgMThejATGAA

use wh 4, one wolf pack, and smoke assault at the same time to shred through people. Follow up with a gs combo for good measure. Utilities can be changed out for your preference.

Thank you I'm gonna check out the gimmick build.   

with that being said, I'm totally willing to go GS/LB if that's truly going to be a difference maker.  Could you suggest something for that?   And would this keep me as a side node role still?  Or can I continue to roam?  thank you! Appreciate you taking the time.

48 minutes ago, Fenris.8563 said:

Thank you I'm gonna check out the gimmick build.   

with that being said, I'm totally willing to go GS/LB if that's truly going to be a difference maker.  Could you suggest something for that?   And would this keep me as a side node role still?  Or can I continue to roam?  thank you! Appreciate you taking the time.

Can’t say for the current meta. I’d ask someone more experienced.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

Word on the street is the top tier Ranger meta will gravitate to Druid only - if Boyce's opinions hold true.

Soulbeast and Untamed are apparently too niche and hardcountered. Not sure on Core.

I guess we will see.

I've contemplated Druid (even considered healing ??)  but idk if it fits with how I like to play.  Open to changing things up though I guess.  I really like running around with Axe/Horn | GS lol   but if it's gotta change, it's gotta change.  I do want to get better.   

Honestly the way my build is right now, I feel pretty good.  I can handle most 1v1s.   Some 1v2s.   But I feel like I'm being targeted  big time (currently playing unranked, just to work on my build).   Last night I added barrier for cantrops, and switched some of my abilities around to utilize a few cantrops.   That's helped me stay alive tremendously.   I dropped Wilderness Survival and went back to Marksmanship, Beastmaster, Untamed.    So I feel I have a good balance of stability and damage going on now.   

[&DQQIJyA7SDp5AAAAuwAAABkbAACsAQAADxsAADsIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

The way I am playing right now is I am sending my pet in first in Pet Unleashed, dumping his abilities while attacking with Axe/Warhorn,  Unleashing Ranger,  use Unleashed Ambush (try to remember anyway lol), then swapping pets, switching to GS, and doing my Maul combo.  

Right I seem to bring most classes down to 25-50% HP before I even swap to GS.  Which usually finishes them off.