Lamplighter Achieves extremely alt unfriendly

while I appreciate that I don't have to redo hearts and vistas are pretty much a non-issue, it really sucks that lamplighter isn't globally available to all characters once unlocked. I rarely do DE meta and it sucks that I MUST use the one character I've already map completed DE on if I want to do the lamplighter achievement again. This is also an issue for other meta-gated lanters in Echovald and Seitung. 

Also I'm just going to call out another issue: it sucks that the meta gated lamp isn't available right there at the end of the meta, and is instead tucked away in some random corner of DE. Given how I only see DE groups up in my communities once in a blue moon, I'll have to wait for the stars to align again before I can complete this and remember to take a hike to said random corner

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Confused 6

That specific lantern in DE is not actually meta-gated. You can use thief or mesmer ports + stealth to get to the lantern and light it.

For other professions, through a combination of mount usage and healing you can get to the lantern and light it before the pulsing damage kills you.

Here is one such way: 

I personally used skyscale/springer to scale to adjacent geometry to get above the death bubble and then use the griffon to dive in and glide to the lantern in a manner much faster than the method above.

Aspenwood, if you post on LFG, usually has enough players to succeed. It is also a good place to farm mobs, so some farming communities do it, though you'd have to coordinate with their discord channels.

SP meta is regularly done and is not a problem to get that lantern lit.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 11

36 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

As someone who completed EoD maps on multiple alts as well as lighted lanterns on multiple alts I don't see an issue here.

Same.

More importantly (imo), I think the point of lanterns was never somehow to be "more alt friendly" (by making the map completion shared between multiple characters), but instead to help combat the need of creating (or deleting and re-creating) new characters in order to craft more legendary weapons. So if it's alt-unfriendly, it's because it seems to be made with low number of characters on the same account in mind. In that case, seems to be working as intended.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Zone completion has always been per character.

Lamplighter was a nice way to give it repeatability. Not sure why it would also have to make it so you only have to do it on one character for the whole account.

If they didn't have meta-gated lanterns I'd agree. But now when they do, you have to think about which character you bring to a meta that gates a lantern which sort of intereferes with one of the best attributes of this game: alt friendliness. i'm not saying it's not an improvement or doesn't make sense at face value, but it does conflict with one of the best design attributes on this game, which seems to be lost on some people here. I'm glad the worst meta of the gates isn't actually a gate, let's hope they don't nerf the bypasses, but we'll see. Generally pulsing damage has interfered with other interactions in game like mastery insights or hero points so I wasn't expecting to be able to cap that lantern in pulsing damage. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

12 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

If they didn't have meta-gated lanterns I'd agree. But now when they do, you have to think about which character you bring to a meta that gates a lantern which sort of intereferes with one of the best attributes of this game: alt friendliness. i'm not saying it's not an improvement or doesn't make sense at face value, but it does conflict with one of the best design attributes on this game, which seems to be lost on some people here. I'm glad the worst meta of the gates isn't actually a gate, let's hope they don't nerf the bypasses, but we'll see. Generally pulsing damage has interfered with other interactions in game like mastery insights or hero points so I wasn't expecting to be able to cap that lantern in pulsing damage. 

You could always map complete on every character then it dont matter who you bring to the meta anymore.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

You could always map complete on every character then it dont matter who you bring to the meta anymore.

I guess so, it is a tad annoying to do that, but the bright side is that you can exchange map completion legendary components for badges and sell them, so it's not that annoying in terms of gunking up your inventory. 

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

If they didn't have meta-gated lanterns I'd agree. But now when they do, you have to think about which character you bring to a meta that gates a lantern which sort of intereferes with one of the best attributes of this game: alt friendliness.

Not really, if you bring a character without the access to lanterns, you simply get the related poi and achieve exactly the same thing furthering map complition of a character you're on.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

Lamplighter achievements are supposed to be there to let you repeat map completes, so you won't have to create/delete new characters just for this purpose. As such, there's no need to make it available on characters without map completion - they can just do it the original way.

Now, meta- and story-locking some of those lanterns - and to a greater degree than first completion pois were - was a bad decision. Especially when considering that one of those metas is definitely not meant for most OW players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 2/17/2023 at 5:17 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Lamplighter achievements are supposed to be there to let you repeat map completes, so you won't have to create/delete new characters just for this purpose. As such, there's no need to make it available on characters without map completion - they can just do it the original way.

Now, meta- and story-locking some of those lanterns - and to a greater degree than first completion pois were - was a bad decision. Especially when considering that one of those metas is definitely not meant for most OW players.

See the linked video above.

• Confused 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:17 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Basically, this. If the character hasn't map-completed yet, do that and get the rewards first. It's easier than lamplighting anyway apart from some hearts being a little annoying.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

TIL that lighting these lanterns is an alternate way to get the zone Gifts - I had no idea!  I made a Gen3 and wanted to make more so I figured it was like the previous versions of legendary weapons and I had a couple of alts complete the EoD zones the old way.  I really didn't enjoy doing all those darn Hearts over again and I'm glad this is another method.  I'll certainly be planning to make more legendary weapons than I originally intended now that I know I can just light the lanterns.  

I just wish I knew about this before I had those alts do it the old way (thanks to Mukluk for his video on Gen3 weapons).   Also thanks to the folks on this thread for their hints and pointing out the lanterns need to be done by characters who have done map completion the old way.  I have more than I need of *those* now. 

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620