What about Roaming and Smallscale?

Acemos.2856

The new scaling reward system seems interesting, but it feels like the update maybe inadvertently affects roamers and smallscale in a negative way. The new scaling rewards allow for an overall, potentially higher amount of rewards, assuming that there is a large number of participants. With this change, the base rewards for capturing an objective have been lowered as well. An example of this being negative is if you decide to take a tower on your own (or with a small group of friends) and there were no enemies in that zone for you to fight, the highest reward tier you will ever receive is Silver; It seems you will never receive Gold unless you fought off an enemy defender. You could solo take the gate down, kill all the guards, and kill the champ tower lord all on your own, only to receive Silver rewards for the event of taking the tower. What do I need to do to be worthy of Gold? Am I expected to flag down an enemy player to come defend their own tower before trying to take it? It just feels like the update pushes players away from this style of playing. The feeling I get is that those of us who enjoy this way of playing WvW are encouraged to not play this way and are instead pushed towards zerging. This is just one example the scaling rewards negatively affecting roamers and smallscale fighters, but it was the most notable one to me. Because the base rewards seem to be reduced, roamers would be getting those reduced rewards quite frequently.

Zerging isn't a bad way to play; It's just a way that I, personally, don't like to play. It's a bit harder for me to notice my individual contribution to a squad of 30-50 people when everyone is receiving tons of boons all the time and being healed a whole bunch. I like the smallscale stuff where I can focus on smaller objectives to help my team out elsewhere on the map. The other thing I don't really like about zerging is the incredible skill lag I experience near allied or enemy zergs; Skills that would normally happen instantly can take a whole second or two to pop off. It's a bit frustrating when the game isn't functioning the way it should when it's of no fault of my own.

The thing that I enjoy most about WvW when compared to other gamemodes is the different ways it can be played, enjoyed, and experienced. I'd like to see us moving in a direction that welcomes and encourages different, active styles of playing it. I'd like for the developers to take another look into improving this scaling reward system to be more inclusive for roamers, smallscale enjoyers, and havoc groups. Zerging is an important part of WvW, but so are the roamers and small groups. Don't forget the small boys!

These are just my two cents on the new reward scaling changes, for what they're worth. WvW is and will continue to be my favorite gamemode in this game.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Edited by Acemos.2856
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 8

This was well said in every way Acemos! I lead a guild of primarily WvW roaming players. We have an amazing and open community and I feel like we contribute much to our team each week. We have been really disappointed with the changes that seem to penalize roamers. I really hope that this post gets the attention of the developers so that our preffered playstyle is also recognized as valid!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

If the level of the new bronze is on the level of old gold(wxp/karma), what actually are you losing? Earning anything above that is a bonus compared to the old system.

To my understanding, the new bronze is currently not on the level of old gold. It's the same, but now if you're flipping something without a large fight or the objective being higher than t0, it seems your rewards are actually worse.

I agree though. If the earning was the same across the board and even better in certain circumstances, I'd be okay with that. It'd be nice to have the bonus chests too though for smallscale/roamers

Edited by Acemos.2856

This update gives a huge amount of FOMO to anyone not zerging right now.
If you aren't trying into queue on maps with zergs attacking High Tier Keeps or SMC then you are missing out on a lot of good loot.
Flipping paper towers, back-capping objectives while zergs are distracted, or fighting literally anywhere that isn't an objective can now be considered a waste of time or gold loss.
Yes, roaming will always be fun and fun is totally the goal of any game, but why can't roamers have fun and get some profit out of it too?
What's wrong with increasing WvW rewards for all players through better pip rewards, better reward tracks, or even better player kill rewards.
I agree that trying to shove players in zerg vs zerg gameplay was a silly move considering anet's servers can't even handle that amount of lag you get inside of them.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

No matter what they do people are not going to be happy with something.

Wvw lowest rewards for 10 years - omg we needs more rewards

Wvw no new rewards for 5 years - omg we need more rewards

Anet finally adds more rewards - omg we don't need those rewards

Skirmish reward track - omg it takes too long

Reward track - omg it takes too long, I need gob in 5mins not 4-8hrs

Increased pips - omg no more afk outnumbered pips

Introduced weeklies with tickets and gold - omg it takes too long can't finish it in a day

Introduced event scaling rewards - omg zergs get more

Give more tickets - omg I have too much tickets

Give more marks - omg I still have too much tickets

Give more weeklies defense events - omg we need more rewards

Can't increase player drops - omg win/kill trading

Wvw rewards is the sum of a lot of different parts, you're probably not going to be able to maximize it all.

Be happy at least they're adding rewards, they could have just ignored it until alliances is eventually done, in 2047.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Fishyflakes.5431 said:

This update gives a huge amount of FOMO to anyone not zerging right now.
If you aren't trying into queue on maps with zergs attacking High Tier Keeps or SMC then you are missing out on a lot of good loot.
Flipping paper towers, back-capping objectives while zergs are distracted, or fighting literally anywhere that isn't an objective can now be considered a waste of time or gold loss.
Yes, roaming will always be fun and fun is totally the goal of any game, but why can't roamers have fun and get some profit out of it too?
What's wrong with increasing WvW rewards for all players through better pip rewards, better reward tracks, or even better player kill rewards.
I agree that trying to shove players in zerg vs zerg gameplay was a silly move considering anet's servers can't even handle that amount of lag you get inside of them.

So you complain about zergs getting more rewards, and at the same time suggest more player kill rewards?

You might want to think over that suggestion...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

5 hours ago, fatihso.7258 said:

I'm sure they will eventually do something for all types of wvw players. As they have barely started working on rewards tiers, cut them some slack and see how things shape.

Yeah acemos you're so mean, big meanie for sure
anet and ncsoft arent multimillion dollar companies they are smol indie dev teams

• Haha 1

it has nothing to do with incentives, its the revealed buff from towers and on the minimap. there is no point in playing "small scale" for objectives because you cant ninja anything. you throw a cata at mendons to get an outnumbered fight, and then 40 people show up to collect easy bags because they only see a few dots

if you try to do anything except capture a camp, a zerg can just show up and overwhelm you because they will know beforehand that you are just a small group

if anet is actually trying to reward defending and fix this gamemode then it shouldnt be a completely passive effort like that... and imo, its a simple fix.

squads under a certain size, like 10, dont show up on the minimap unless they run by sentries. zergs get revealed while they're near objectives in your zone, and you just remove/replace the reveal upgrade. this solves both problems - large attacking groups will be met by defenders (and the average new player who enters wvw will have more info on exactly where the enemies could be), encouraging "intended" gameplay, and there will be some benefit to running in a smaller squad, however small

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

No matter what they do people are not going to be happy with something.

Wvw lowest rewards for 10 years - omg we needs more rewards

Wvw no new rewards for 5 years - omg we need more rewards

Anet finally adds more rewards - omg we don't need those rewards

Skirmish reward track - omg it takes too long

Reward track - omg it takes too long, I need gob in 5mins not 4-8hrs

Increased pips - omg no more afk outnumbered pips

Introduced weeklies with tickets and gold - omg it takes too long can't finish it in a day

Introduced event scaling rewards - omg zergs get more

Give more tickets - omg I have too much tickets

Give more marks - omg I still have too much tickets

Give more weeklies defense events - omg we need more rewards

Can't increase player drops - omg win/kill trading

Wvw rewards is the sum of a lot of different parts, you're probably not going to be able to maximize it all.

Be happy at least they're adding rewards, they could have just ignored it until alliances is eventually done, in 2047.

hes just stating a problem for a small group , who said he isn't happy about it , everyone is happy lately with the updates on wvw , its just that there is still a lot of problems to make wvw realy interesting to play for everyone , means roamers , zergs , small groups since wvw is the only game mod that u probably can never get tired or bored playing ,  since it has an insane potential for the game health.