No race change?

56 minutes ago, Deathleecher.8532 said:

Why is there no race change? We are in 2023, people love to change race.

Make it happen.-

Because current year isn't any more of a reason than previous current year, the current year before that, or the one before that, etc.

And because the game's coding, as ArenaNet has themselves has stated, makes this prohibitively difficult and that this cost isn't worth the potential reward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10
  • Confused 2

I can't find the quote now but I remember someone from Anet saying when this came up a few years ago that they actually did try and because the game was programmed with the assumption that a characters race would be one of the things that never changes a lot of stuff is tied to that so changing your race could permanently break the character, to the point where you may not be able to log in to them again.

Making it possible would likely be a lot of work, and it's not a commonly requested feature. It has come up before, but far more rarely than other things which are also not completely impossible but far more work than it's worth. If there ever was an opportunity to do one of those things and how often players suggest it was the deciding factor my guess is we'd get the ability to dye weapons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

There is a simple solution to this. 

A-net doesnt have to physically change the race it self. Anet has all the informations about your character, including every POI, vistas, hearts, stories, items, etc. 

Maybe they could just create new charater, copying all these unlocked data from the old one. It culd include character name change as well as personal story complete reset like for a new character. At the same time it would delete the old one. You would keep your stuff, your bag slots, your finished stories and explored map, and you would have to redo your personal story. 

Or even screw he map exploration. Lets say you would receive an email into your new character, with attached box that has all the stuf you had on old one. Plus some teleport unlocks etc. 

It could be done, at least something. This just feels like no one really cares. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

On 2/17/2023 at 7:10 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Perhaps, you weren't around when they tried changing the Personal Story way back when.  It caused all manner of bugs, and had to be reverted back to the original.  There are still missing parts for some players to this day. 

So that explains why every bit of progress after Orr & Zhaitan got wiped across multiple characters. When I logged in for the first time in years, there was a mail msg from some random NPC saying "it's not my fault" etc. I didn't understand what that was about, until now.

Come to think of it, it might explain some of the other weird stuff I've seen since returning, too. Almost afraid to try crafting a legendary from the precursor I found way back when, assuming I can even use it without doing the whole legendary crafting hamster-wheel that exists now.

• Confused 2

Hmm, well I might give it a go or maybe not. I mean, it's Venom (Kraitkin pre). How much underwater combat do you realistically do? It would almost never be seen or used.

Oh well, at least I have an idea of what happened to all my progress now. Glad this thread got necro'd for that reason alone.

Now let's let it die again. 😄

• Sad 1

Love all of the excuses in this thread.... such as "There is a story quest tied to each race." Well, if you change your race, your story gets reset... duh.

Bottom line is the majority of the QoL things people would love to see that they will never see are tied directly to profit and the cash shop.

If you create a character, level it, do a map completion and realize you do not like your race, which happens... ALOT, you can't change your race.  If you could change your race, you wouldn't have to create a new character, buy all of the waypoints from the cash shop, bag slots, and everything else associated with ALTs.... and we all know what an alt feels like in this game.

Edited by Furian.5768
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Furian.5768 said:

Love all of the excuses in this thread.... such as "There is a story quest tied to each race." Well, if you change your race, your story gets reset... duh.

Spoken by someone who has never worked in software lol this would be an absolutely huge undertaking by ANet and likely not worth the development time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mic.1897 said:

Spoken by someone who has never worked in software lol this would be an absolutely huge undertaking by ANet and likely not worth the development time

Maybe... it is possible they didn't design certain aspects of the game for future changes, but this feature would be a hit to the pocket book, and well, the simplest answer is usually the right one.  This is almost always the the case when the answer is money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

• 1 month later...