New Mantras are horrible!

Alastor.3054

18 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

This they are, and the reason they had changed them in the first place was that people avoided to use the last charge (according to ANet they had monitored this closely), presumably because of the long cooldown duration followed by an annoying reactivation time, which were a hefty trade-off for a short one-time bonus boon.

Now it's an exercise of not accidentally casting the last charge all over again.😂

Who came up with that brilliant idea?🤦‍♂️

If the problem was that people were sitting on the last charge to avoid the preparation, then there are multiple ways to handle that.

You could simply increase the benefits of using the last charge, to make them worth casting even if you take the preparation channel that follows into account. And it seems that this is the course they have chosen now.

The rework to remove the preparation was basically removing the skill identity of mantras and turned them into shouts instead. Never liked that change in the first place. Make mantras good with their own mechanic in mind, instead of turning them into another skill category.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

You could simply increase the benefits of using the last charge, to make them worth casting even if you take the preparation channel that follows into account. And it seems that this is the course they have chosen now.

I don't find the benefits anyway near worthy to waste precious time on Mantra preparations, to be honest.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't find the benefits anyway near worthy to waste precious time on Mantra preparations, to be honest.

People did the math, apparently it's a dps increase to use the last charge of Mantra of Flame over sitting on the last charge, for example.

So at least for cdps firebrand, it seems that spending that last charge and go through the preparation time is currently the optimal way to play. You might not find it worth it, but objectively it is the correct thing.

9 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

People did the math, apparently it's a dps increase to use the last charge of Mantra of Flame over sitting on the last charge, for example.

Okay, I should have specified that I was referring to support Firebrands there.😄 My bad.

So let me rephrase that: I don't find the benefits on QFB/HFB anyway near worthy to waste precious time on Mantra preparations, to be honest.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Okay, I should have specified that I was referring to support Firebrands there.😄 My bad.

So let me rephrase that: I don't find the benefits on QFB/HFB anyway near worthy to waste precious time on Mantra preparations, to be honest.

Which is fine, you get to choose to not spend the last charge. That's the beauty of it: choice.

For example, know that a split phase is coming up? Why not use that last charge and recharge before a boss is vulnerable again? That aegis on the final charge of the heal mantra, worth applying and getting that added benefit now, versus the future detriment of having to recharge? Again, choice.

The other system was devoid of choice and while recharging mantras might not be fun, to some that aspect of choice is where the fun is at.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Which is fine, you get to choose to not spend the last charge. That's the beauty of it: choice.

Yes, the beauty of "Oops! I accidentally clicked the last charge and now my routine is screwed up." 😂

13 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

For example, know that a split phase is coming up? Why not use that last charge and recharge before a boss is vulnerable again? That aegis on the final charge of the heal mantra, worth applying

Yes, totally worth it while your team isn't receiving any damage. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, the beauty of "Oops! I accidentally clicked the last charge and now my routine is screwed up." 😂

Ok, I usually don't use this reasoning, but to this you can really say nothing else but: l2p issue.

What's next? You want your stunbreaks to have no cooldown because you accidentally clicked it while you haven't been CCed and it's soooo unfair that you have to wait for a cooldown while you didn't get the benefit of the stunbreak function?

The solution to this problem here is simple: DON'T CLICK THE SKILL ON ACCIDENT THEN. That is entirely on you.

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, totally worth it while your team isn't receiving any damage. 😉

Same with this argument. If you are applying the aegis when there is no incoming attack, that is on you.

Your only argument here is really "but what if I have no clue about what I am doing, huh? How am I supposed to make clever decisions then?". And the answer to that stays the same: LEARN.

The game is providing you choices. Decision making is a skill that needs to get learned for any game that requires it. Maybe some people are not at that point yet, but the skill does not need to get changed to remove that decision making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Ok, I usually don't use this reasoning, but to this you can really say nothing else but: l2p issue. [...]

😄 I don't think you get my point. This didn't happen to me, but it could. The sheer existence of a useless skill charge is what I find absurd.

46 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Same with this argument. If you are applying the aegis when there is no incoming attack, that is on you.

4s of Aegis followed by a circa half-a-minute cooldown for the whole skill doesn't make it worth casting the last charge when you can apply Aegis frequently through other means. It's not a trade-off that makes sense at all.

But to each their own.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

😄 I don't think you get my point. This didn't happen to me, but it could. The sheer existence of a useless skill charge is what I find absurd.

Yet you fail to realize that the skills are balanced around the recast and options present.

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

4s of Aegis followed by a circa half-a-minute cooldown for the whole skill doesn't make it worth casting the last charge when you can apply Aegis frequently through other means. It's not a trade-off that makes sense at all.

But to each their own.

Aegis has a near infinite scaling with the only requirement being the attack be block-able.

There is a lot of aegis on guardian, less than before but still a lot, that just makes any additional aegis even more of a situational skill. Yet I've never been on guardian in any role or game mode where I felt having more aegis was a bad thing. This is especially true for players who actually time their aegis to block attacks for their group, instead of just spamming it williy nilly. Not to mention having 1 aegis on your heal allows freeing up utility slots if so desired (say instead of "Advance"), again: choice.

Not sure I would follow your reasoning here, but you are free to make your own assumptions and have your own beliefs.

Also as far as casting a skills 3rd charge, last I checked there are a few mantra skills which would benefit from being cast before a longer split phase, first and foremost the condi mantra, or maybe the cleanse if a big condi bomb hits.

You have no ground to stand on as far as choice goes besides "you don't enjoy the added complexity" which certainly is an argument, even if not a very good one.

• Thanks 1