Will the New Mini-Expansions come with the max level boost?

Gibson.4036

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It’s far, far, far too early to get an answer to that. We don’t even have a title yet let alone know if there will be different versions and extras like slots and boosts.

I bet someone at ArenaNet knows.

And you've brought up another great follow up question.

ArenaNet, will there be deluxe editions with added stuff?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

They might do, but they won’t announce features on request on the forum. They will announce it as part of a scheduled marketing blog and lead in campaign. I’m not expecting that until late this year or even next year.

This is most likely true. They answer almost no questions on the forums...

So what do you think? Will they keep up the tradition of a max level boost for each mini-expac? I could see them doing it because it says to new players, "Don't worry about catching up." They also specifically mentioned in the lead up to EoD that the majority of new players head right to the expansion, rather than starting in core and working through everything prior.

On the other hand, they sell the things in the gem store, along with the shared slot, and offering them every year to year and a half (which seems to be their intended cadence) will give regular players a way to get them regularly without buying additional gems.

As to late this year or even next year, I think they're actually shooting for launch this fall or winter, so the lead up will be some time this summer. In the Teapot stream where Grouch crashed the comments, Teapot puts together a few things in the blog post and suggests the next expansion could be this year. In the chat, Grouch says, "hmmm".

He did a fair amount of that kind of winking in the chat.

It's around 2:23 into the stream. Teapot points out that the spring roadmap says the new Rama story will "conclude a few months later" after the first half is released February 28th. This fits with the quarterly update plan. EoD, four zones, one more in two parts February and, say, May 2023. That could mean expansion August/September?

And if we're talking year to year-and-a-half between the new mini-expacs, that means 2 initial zones, 3-5 more in quarterly updates before the next. EoD + Rama zone = 5 zones, and they're ready for the next.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

I’m going to assume next year for expac no matter how many winks he gave on an unofficial video for his creative partners instead of coming to his community to discuss. With so much disruption, delays are inevitable so if it’s before this time next year, I’ll be surprised even with such a long wait. I think many will be cautious after EoD this time and hold off until after launch anyway. 

Id be surprised if they didn’t do a deluxe version. I don’t think a collectors version is warranted for something looking this small though.

Anything else I’m not going to hope or speculate on just yet. I allowed myself to get hyped for EoD and that was a mistake. I may not even preorder this time and it be the first (new) content I’ll skip initial release for outside of revamped ls1 (which I haven’t touched).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I’m going to assume next year for expac no matter how many winks he gave on an unofficial video for his creative partners instead of coming to his community to discuss. With so much disruption, delays are inevitable so if it’s before this time next year, I’ll be surprised even with such a long wait. I think many will be cautious after EoD this time and hold off until after launch anyway. 

This is definitely wisdom.

3 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Anything else I’m not going to hope or speculate on just yet. I allowed myself to get hyped for EoD and that was a mistake. I may not even preorder this time and it be the first (new) content I’ll skip initial release for outside of revamped ls1 (which I haven’t touched).

I feel the same. I even made the argument "ArenaNet always adds more great stuff with LW after, so I can confidently buy EoD."

And, well, now we know EoD was actually the first mini-expansion in the new plan, even though it launched with four zones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

They also specifically mentioned in the lead up to EoD that the majority of new players head right to the expansion, rather than starting in core and working through everything prior.

I find that bizarre. As a player who enjoys story and progression of my character I can't imagine buying any new RPG type game and skipping to the latest expansion 80% of the way through published content.

I also find it fascinating and a good reminder of why I shouldn't just assume all players are the same as me when trying to understand and predict the decisions Arena Net make 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I expect that there will be enhanced editions of the expansions because they allow the company to make more off of an individual sale without spending more on development. It is easy money for them. The specifics are, of course, yet to be determined. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I find that bizarre. As a player who enjoys story and progression of my character I can't imagine buying any new RPG type game and skipping to the latest expansion 80% of the way through published content.

I also find it fascinating and a good reminder of why I shouldn't just assume all players are the same as me when trying to understand and predict the decisions Arena Net make 🙂

Agreed. I’m a “start at the beginning” type player myself. I’m pretty story oriented.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Thanks for your contribution!

Actually, that was pretty much on point. We know next to nothing about what those new half-expacs will have (and what they won't have).

What we do know:

- they will come more often than before (although what exactly that means, who knows?)

- they will be cheaper (again, by how much? no idea).

- they will contain maps, but less than current expansion (so, 2 or 3 - found mentions for both cases, so perhaps they themselves don't know yet)

- they will have some story.

- they will have some additional features (which ones? Again, zero info on that).

...and that's pretty much it. And if you think it's extremely vague and not very informative, it's likely 100% intentional on Anet's side.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Actually, that was pretty much on point. We know next to nothing about what those new half-expacs will have (and what they won't have).

What we do know:

- they will come more often than before (although what exactly that means, who knows?)

- they will be cheaper (again, by how much? no idea).

- they will contain maps, but less than current expansion (so, 2 or 3 - found mentions for both cases, so perhaps they themselves don't know yet)

- they will have some story.

- they will have some additional features (which ones? Again, zero info on that).

...and that's pretty much it. And if you think it's extremely vague and not very informative, it's likely 100% intentional on Anet's side.

Thanks for your contribution, too!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

2 mini expansions a year at 30 bucks a pop is what im betting. And no I will bet they dont include boosts or inventory slots 

Don't forget they mentioned there will continue to be free DLC associated with each mini expansion. 2 mini expansions a year would therefore represent 4-5 times as much content being released as we currently get. Do you think that is sustainable?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I agree that there's no way for us to know this yet and we'll just have to wait and see. But I think it will partially depend on whether these 'mini expansions' work as stand-alone purchases which can be used to create a new account or upgrade a free one, or if you have to buy one of the existing versions of the game first.

It could work like Elder Scrolls Online where each expansion has 2 options, an 'upgrade' which is cheaper but only includes the new content and has to be applied to an existing account and a 'collection' version which is more expensive but includes the base game and previous expansions.

Considering Anet recently brought out a complete edition of GW2 I could see them doing something similar. So new players or anyone on a free account would need to buy some sort of bundle which includes the core game features and that would have a level 80 boost, but existing players could just buy the new 'mini expansion' which is cheaper but doesn't come with anything else.

(I'd be fine with that personally, I have enough tomes and scrolls to instantly level several characters and I don't mind getting normal level rewards instead of the boost items, but I don't know how popular the boosts are with other people.)

7 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

Don't forget they mentioned there will continue to be free DLC associated with each mini expansion. 2 mini expansions a year would therefore represent 4-5 times as much content being released as we currently get. Do you think that is sustainable?

I agree. At most I think we're likely to get 1 mini  expansion per year, then free updates (and reoccuring festivals) the rest of the year.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I agree that there's no way for us to know this yet and we'll just have to wait and see. But I think it will partially depend on whether these 'mini expansions' work as stand-alone purchases which can be used to create a new account or upgrade a free one, or if you have to buy one of the existing versions of the game first.

This is an excellent point.

Grouch shared that part of the idea of mini-expansions is that it's easier to catch new player attention with them than LW releases which didn't make sense to players outside GW2. That makes me think that they're hoping every mini-expansion is a gateway to the rest of the game for new players. Which would mean stand-alone. I'd expect buying a mini-expansion will remove the free-player restrictions, essentially letting you be a "core + most recent mini-expac" player.

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I agree. At most I think we're likely to get 1 mini  expansion per year, then free updates (and reoccuring festivals) the rest of the year.

Yes. From what they've written, plus Grouch's comments in the Teapot stream, I'm expecting 12-18 months between mini-expansions, with the quarterly included updates between.

It'd be great if we could all stop calling them "free", though. Yes, ArenaNet's marketing department would like us to think of them that way, but they are locked behind purchasing the mini-expansion. We're paying for 4-7 zones each time. It's just that only 2 will be available at launch.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Grouch shared that part of the idea of mini-expansions is that it's easier to catch new player attention with them than LW releases which didn't make sense to players outside GW2.

Not sure it was Grouch who wrote that, you might be pretty much quoting me and mislabeling it, from here:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127670-yearlysemi-yearly-expansions-sounds-a-lot-like-icebrood-saga-we-pay-for/page/4/#comment-1852942

On 2/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

And yes, this will probably have better optics outside of the gw2 community, seeing how it's rather clear what new expansion means, while living world is a new concept (even if only name-wise) to people not familiar with the game.

Not saying Grouch didn't say it, but I'm not sure I saw it, while I do remember writing this and your wording seems really close to mine, so you might be confusing sources (Grouch would be a more reliable one, obviously since I was kind of guessing as indicated by the word "probably", so if you have it, please add it)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It'd be great if we could all stop calling them "free", though. Yes, ArenaNet's marketing department would like us to think of them that way, but they are locked behind purchasing the mini-expansion. We're paying for 4-7 zones each time. It's just that only 2 will be available at launch.

I've been saying free because some people got the impression they'd be paid DLC, on top of the cost of the mini expansions.

Also players have been happy to refer to the Living World updates as free if you log in during the release window, and those work the same way. Ever since Season 3 you had to own the most recent expansion to play them even if you had the episodes unlocked already.

I think it is generally understood that if you don't pay directly for part of a commercial product then the cost is included in other things you buy, but there's still an important distinction between that and something you have to pay a direct, additional cost to get.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not sure it was Grouch who wrote that, you might be pretty much quoting me and mislabeling it, from here:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127670-yearlysemi-yearly-expansions-sounds-a-lot-like-icebrood-saga-we-pay-for/page/4/#comment-1852942

Not saying Grouch didn't say it, but I'm not sure I saw it, while I do remember writing this and your wording seems really close to mine, so you might be confusing sources (Grouch would be a more reliable one, obviously since I was kind of guessing as indicated by the word "probably", so if you have it, please add it)

He confirmed it in the comments on the Teapot stream. Teapot talks about expansions being sellable, and Grouch says yeah, "it's difficult to get press coverage on Living World".

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

24 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I've been saying free because some people got the impression they'd be paid DLC, on top of the cost of the mini expansions.

Also players have been happy to refer to the Living World updates as free if you log in during the release window, and those work the same way. Ever since Season 3 you had to own the most recent expansion to play them even if you had the episodes unlocked already.

I think it is generally understood that if you don't pay directly for part of a commercial product then the cost is included in other things you buy, but there's still an important distinction between that and something you have to pay a direct, additional cost to get.

Yeah, I can see that.

I wish the community hadn't bought into the idea that LW was free. It's adding confusion to the current conversation because people think they're losing free LW for these new expansion+quarterly updates, when in reality it's the same deal. Pay for expansion, get access to content released later. It's just that we could go a long time getting LW seasons for the price of the last expansion before; now we know we won't get nearly as much before the next expansion.

It's a neat trick that ArenaNet managed, convincing players that all this time they've been getting something free with LW. It certainly was great value for money, so I'm not complaining. It'd just be better if we were more clear-eyed about what "free" actually is.

Looking back at the Teapot stream, I realized I'm probably overestimating how many quarterly updates we're getting per expansion. Someone in chat says 2 maps, 2 strikes, and Grouch responds "3 maps per expansion". Since they said 2 at launch, that sounds like you were right in 1 expansion per year.

So 2 maps at expansion launch, first half of a map a quarter later, second half of a map a quarter after that, and then third quarter is "festival time and lead up to next expansion".

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 2/17/2023 at 10:36 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

It’s far, far, far too early to get an answer to that. We don’t even have a title yet let alone know if there will be different versions and extras like slots and boosts.

No it's not! They have a standard "Expansion" system of items included with expansions: Compare
What isn't on that list is items for near Max Level accounts (have max number of characters slots, 71 level 80 characters). I'd like to see more "Your Choice" Gem store/Black Lion gift items included with my purchase. Instead of 4000 gems toss in two or three "Your Choice" Gem store/Black Lion selection gift! 3 for ultimate, 2 for deluxe, and 1 for standard plus what they would normally include.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Seth Moonshadow.2710 said:

No it's not! They have a standard "Expansion" system of items included with expansions: Compare
What isn't on that list is items for near Max Level accounts (have max number of characters slots, 71 level 80 characters). I'd like to see more "Your Choice" Gem store/Black Lion gift items included with my purchase. Instead of 4000 gems toss in two or three "Your Choice" Gem store/Black Lion selection gift! 3 for ultimate, 2 for deluxe, and 1 for standard plus what they would normally include.

Why would you want it restricted to items Anet chooses for you instead of gems which can be used to buy any gem store items you want?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1