Would tweaking event timers be an easy way to make EoD zones a little more lively?

Gibson.4036

In between PvP matches I've been running around EoD zones again to try and get some imperial favor for my weekly antique sum stones.

At EoD launch I played through the story on several characters, did all the metas a handful of times each, then went back to pre-EoD zones to pursue other goals.

Now, a year later, running around looking to do ordinary events here and there, it becomes really clear that these zones were designed to support story playthrough and the metas. When they're in the lull between metas, the events spring up few and far between. I often see an indicator on the map, and by the time I get there the event is completed or timed out. Made me a little sad, because one of the amazing things GW2 has done for most of its lifetime is provide a world that feels active and alive at all times. When not in meta-mode, the EoD zones feel like they're waiting.

So what if a design pass was made to tweak the timers on the events that pop up between metas, so they spawn a little more frequently? Would there be a downside to it?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

In between PvP matches I've been running around EoD zones again to try and get some imperial favor for my weekly antique sum stones.

At EoD launch I played through the story on several characters, did all the metas a handful of times each, then went back to pre-EoD zones to pursue other goals.

Now, a year later, running around looking to do ordinary events here and there, it becomes really clear that these zones were designed to support story playthrough and the metas. When they're in the lull between metas, the events spring up few and far between. I often see an indicator on the map, and by the time I get there the event is completed or timed out. Made me a little sad, because one of the amazing things GW2 has done for most of its lifetime is provide a world that feels active and alive at all times. When not in meta-mode, the EoD zones feel like they're waiting.

So what if a design pass was made to tweak the timers on the events that pop up between metas, so they spawn a little more frequently? Would there be a downside to it?

As far as I've seen playing those maps, there are pretty frequent events. Sounds like you just want a quick tag on some events while in pvp queue, so it's not about making the map alive, but instead making it a quick profit/pitstop between farming pvp. If your goal is to play on the map to farm up some writs then play the map and you'll see the events.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

There's quite a bit of EoD that could use a facelift to encourage people to return to it (and stay), but yes, tweaks to event timing/timers would be on that list.

It'd also be nice if they'd re-evaluate how credit works with Canthan events, since in the course of normal play it's possible for someone running by to scale a gather event past the ability of people actively playing to complete it (needed items quit spawning and you lose participation before the timer runs down with no way to re-up). There's also a hiccup where events won't count you as having fully participated unless you're there for specific parts of an event chain or there before a chain begins at all, so you'll do a quest chain hoping to complete one of the many 'do this chain' achievements, often by yourself, and then get to the end and have it not pop because you came to the event while it was active or weren't standing near enough when it began (lived example, this happened most with the water purifier event in Seitung, which required 4 separate - solo - completions before it finally awarded achievement credit). Also, and this is far less of a big deal, but fishing competition events should give you a join/participate prompt when you approach the event area, like mount races do.

As I mentioned, there's plenty more that could be improved, but as far as events are concerned, those are my current enjoyability sticking points.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The events are definately there and happen frequently, even in New Kaineng. The problem is however is that most don't show up on the map. unless you are fairly close so you have to move around the maps to find them. Play the maps enough (Ive run 13 characters through all of the EoD content) and you soon get to know where the events pop up.

• Like 1