Reworks for Purge Gyro and Sneak Gyro

Cuilan.7091

Across all game modes Shredder, Blast, Bulwark, and to an extent, Medic Gyro have seen a healthy use for a multitude of builds for Scrapper. Though the other two are in a more subjective grey area due to several factors and general needs in each gamemode

Purge Gyro

WvW

A staple in Support Scrapper builds and a  mobile monster in condition cleansing  when paired with Shredder Gyro, its shear power had be toned down but in Med Kit and Elixir Gun instead. 
PvP

Has been a theoretical good choice for years but the amount of Conditions being pumped compared to WvW doesn't warrant the need for a skill purely dedicated to only cleansing. 

PvE

Never used, there is a vocal minority that does enjoy the Poison field on its toolbelt but an overall no-pick.

If its cleansing ability where to be move to its toolbelt instead (Maybe throw in some pulsing strike damage) it would tone back on the mobile cleanse potential in WvW and open up newer options for the base skill itself. 

Purge Gyro -> Acceleration Gyro

As the name implies, Acceleration Gyro would bring back Quickness (And maybe resistance) in a pulsing area around the Scrapper. This would give Scrapper a source of Quickness similar to Elixir U (Which sees heavy use in PvP) and could be balanced much more accordingly. In PvE it opens up builds for Quickness supports, and loosens the Concentration caps that they have to reach to have a optimal boon uptime.

Sneak Gyro

WvW

Turns out having a mobile Smoke Field that pulses stealth isn't healthy for the game. Its current nerfs have pushed the skill into absolute uselessness.

PvP

Has seen a cooldown nerf from 40s to 60s but has always been an enabler of some absolute degenerate gameplay. Currently its allowing Scrappers to have dangerously effective stealth one shots.

PvE

Not used outside of Open world cheese and another source of quickness

Sneak Gyro

Command Gyro would still be focused on supportive utility but in a non-stealthy way. I've created a few iterations, but I'm concerned mostly from a programming perspective with some of these options.

Sneak Gyro -> Augment Gyro

Iteration #1

On Activation, shock the area with a Dazing blast

Allies within the radius would inherit the Scrapper's currently equipped Traits for several seconds. This applies to other Scrappers and Chronomancers as well

The Scrapper's Impact Savant bonus is doubled during the duration and the Scrapper gains Might, Quickness, and Stability

Might not be technically possible, but if it does then it can really impact how groups see Scrapper across all modes.

Sneak Gyro -> Power Gyro

Iteration #2

On Activation, shock the area with a Dazing blast

Breaks Stun for you and 5 other allies

Pulse Endurance, Resistance, and Stability to yourself and 5 other allies. 

A skill similar to Tactics Banner and Stand Your Ground, been noticing a trend of big stability buttons lately.

Sneak Gyro - Command Gyro

Iteration #3

Activate all slotted Gyros, with a baseline Cooldown of 20s and +Xs based on the other Gyros activated.

Breaks Stun for you and 5 other allies

Only counts as one source of Superspeed

Could lead to questionable gameplay, but also enables Gyro-less builds that only run Command Gyro for a low CD AoE stun break.

All iterations are focused on providing a unique, niche effect that emphasizes the current Roles of scrapper across all gamemode, but offer a better variety in build and composition options.

• Like 1

I would rather they kept purge gyro as is and maybe lower the cooldown to 25 instead of 30 (it used to be 20s cooldown).

What was broken about sneak gyro was the moving smoke field, if it only affected 5 people it would not be nearly as busted.

Your command gyro skill idea would probably not be implemented due to how to code that. I am also unsure if Arenanet is willing to give a second source of AoE stability to scrapper for your power gyro idea.

Edited by Infusion.7149

Skills don't need to be good/used in every single gamemodes. As it stand gyros are more or less "ok" as skills, I don't think there is a need for yet another rework on scrapper (The devs have already invested much more time in various reworks on scrapper than on any other e-spec. It's time to let them give some of their time on other e-specs)

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Skills don't need to be good/used in every single gamemodes. As it stand gyros are more or less "ok" as skills, I don't think there is a need for yet another rework on scrapper (The devs have already invested much more time in various reworks on scrapper than on any other e-spec. It's time to let them give some of their time on other e-specs)

Unfortunately, Anet already announced that they plan to rework gyros once again, because moving wells seem problematic in WvW.

They just pulled the changes to make gyros stationary because of the uproar and agreed to first come up with a new and engaging mechanic for gyros to work with before they make them stationary. Utility skills of elite specs usually come with an unique twist that makes them different from skills of the same category on other classes, but if gyros became stationary without any other changes then they wouldn't have this kind of uniqueness.

But Anet said that they still will change them once they found a new gameplay mechanic for them....

11 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Unfortunately, Anet already announced that they plan to rework gyros once again, because moving wells seem problematic in WvW.

They just pulled the changes to make gyros stationary because of the uproar and agreed to first come up with a new and engaging mechanic for gyros to work with before they make them stationary. Utility skills of elite specs usually come with an unique twist that makes them different from skills of the same category on other classes, but if gyros became stationary without any other changes then they wouldn't have this kind of uniqueness.

But Anet said that they still will change them once they found a new gameplay mechanic for them....

I guess the devs are so familiar with reworking Scrapper that they feel more confortable modifying it than anything else. How many rework has it been already?

At first it was all about daze or stun, then all about swiftness and superspeed, then they gave them an F5 (useless in PvE and barely useful in competitive), at some point they tried to make it a combo spec, changed Gyro in Wells, scrapped (pun intended) the combo in favor of Quickness sharing, tried on it their "elite drawbacks" idea, removed the "elite drawback", and lately they are coming back to the swiftness/superspeed stuf... I'm pretty sure I forgot many things. It's so confusing, it feel like every year scrapper have a new gameplay, a new focus.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I guess the devs are so familiar with reworking Scrapper that they feel more confortable modifying it than anything else. How many rework has it been already?

At first it was all about daze or stun, then all about swiftness and superspeed, then they gave them an F5 (useless in PvE and barely useful in competitive), at some point they tried to make it a combo spec, changed Gyro in Wells, scrapped (pun intended) the combo in favor of Quickness sharing, tried on it their "elite drawbacks" idea, removed the "elite drawback", and lately they are coming back to the swiftness/superspeed stuf... I'm pretty sure I forgot many things. It's so confusing, it feel like every year scrapper have a new gameplay, a new focus.

Tbh, scrapper was a mess right from the beginning.

You can easily tell that the initial concept for scrapper was something different (most likely a heat mechanic, which then got recycled for holosmith later on when they were able to make it work) and they just slapped stuff on it as a last minute job.

To this day, I can't stop thinking that scrapper is the only elite spec in the game without any real new class mechanic. All we got is the function gyro, which is just a single stomping/rezzing skill on our bar. And we already had a rez skill on toolbelt in core, toss elixir r.

And I think the spec is still paying the price for it. It is fundamentally flawed as an elite spec design because of the lack of a real class mechanic and until Anet tackles that problem, they might just keep dancing around it by reworking it over and over without actually giving it the in depth rework it needs.

• Like 2

Scrapper on release was a fun concept honestly. Summoning mini drone that follows you or rush to an ennemi to blow up is pretty fun. However performance wise... Yeah it wasnt that great. 

I wouldnt touch purge gyro as it is good and works ok in all gamemode. However they definitely should rework sneak gyro for PvP/WvW.  Stealth is broken and the less stealth the better, however it does make sneak gyro a pretty garbage skill now. For PvE, stealth gyro is whatever. 

As an elite skill one thing they could do is make a skill called, idk, Swarm gyro where you could summon all your gyro either at once or as an additional one. But I like the quickness gyro idea.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:52 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

You've got to be kidding me right? I can't believe they still want to make them stationary. The devs seem so kittening clueless to how scrapper works.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Koensol.5860 said:

You've got to be kidding me right? I can't believe they still want to make them stationary. The devs seem so kittening clueless to how scrapper works.

Was digging to find the dev post talking about it again:

We'd still like to take a pass on updating the design of Scrapper gyros in the future, but not until we work out a replacement mechanic that feels both unique and fun to use.

So the last update we got from them was that they still plan to change scrapper gyros in some way once they have found a replacement mechanic. And I guess that replacement mechanic is supposed to replace the gyro's mobility aspect....

11 hours ago, Slapinator.4196 said:

I wish they did that rework sooner. Scrapper's mechanic and whole concept still feels and always felt lackluster. I am still waiting the day Scrapper receives the same treatment as Firebrand.😅

It does in the sense that it spews out Super Speed. just wish Scrapper had Protection uptime.