Return player - How is the state of the game and a few question about classes

Orpheus.7891

So the last expansion I bought was Path of Fire and frankly I hardly played, but that was mainly for life reasons, but now I am coming back and just wondering how exactly GW2 is doing? Also I'm thinking about starting a new character this time and I'm having a hard time deciding between Guardian and Warrior, what would you recommend?

The game is somewhere between being stable and in a slump. Response to EoD has been mixed - from critically very well received to many regrading as their weakest output in terms of substance, style and replayability (Im in the latter to understand bias). We have had ls1 restored since, but at the cost of new content and up until recently, an uncertainty in direction and poor communication. You did miss ls4 which is generally regarded as the best season, icebrood saga which went from promising to dismal failure at the end as a rushed change of direction hit the game.

We now know the game is no longer getting sizeable expacs, but very small ones, with supporting quarterly updates to replace the living world which in theory allows resources to spread to all game modes, not just story and open world. If it works out, could bring the game back to renewed life if wvw gets its long overdue focus.

As to profession choice, it depends what style of play. Warrior is my preferred, guardian seems the most versatile and popular anecdotally speaking

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Orpheus.7891 said:

So the last expansion I bought was Path of Fire and frankly I hardly played, but that was mainly for life reasons, but now I am coming back and just wondering how exactly GW2 is doing? 

Depends on what you're looking for specifically, but since you didn't play much of PoF, you've got loads of content to come back to. You won't experience what some long-term players are feeling about a lack of new stuff for quite a while yet. You've got Path of Fire, Living World 4, Icebrood Saga, and End of Dragons to experience.

1 hour ago, Orpheus.7891 said:

Also I'm thinking about starting a new character this time and I'm having a hard time deciding between Guardian and Warrior, what would you recommend?

As Randulf said, what are you looking for in a character? Which game modes will you play most?