engineer useless in wvw

Zzik.5873

Is it me or the engi is pretty useless in wvw, I cant find a single build I enjoy playing in wvw. Its either to melee focus to be able to do anything, or support and I get 0 loot. Mind I hate roaming, only play in zerg. I feel I cant do anytjing except getting farm.

PS. I hate this gamemode, each time I have to get a gift of battle I want to uninstall. Its always a huge quit moment. If the pve was not so fun, I would have rage quit long ago... -_-

Edited by Makuragee.3058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

Engineer is the most fun I have in a zerg, hands-down.

1. Spec into Explosives (Short Fuse, Aim-Assisted Rocket, Big Boomer).

2. Equip the Elite Mortar Kit.

3. Go into options and set ground targeting to instant.

4. Hover your mouse over the largest clump of people you see. Hold down the 1 button. Other buttons are good for flavor/area denial.

5. Collect all the loot bags with your 1500 range, Aoe, indirect-fire weapon. Laugh like a maniac while you blow everyone up and heal while you do it.

Edited by Malkarne.8167
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

In a zerg, Engineer can relatively easily gets loot by just equiping grenade and mortar and throwing stuff at group of people although projectile block/reflect is a thing so it isnt exactly idiotproof. Alternatively you can go with marauder and FT with juggernaut. But yeah in a zerg you dont have much choice, you either go full range and AOE or go Scrapper support.

As a roamer, Engineer is meh. There are much better roamer like Mesmer, Thief or Ranger. 

• Haha 1

Everything is technically useless compared to meta.

Scrapper was pushed out from zerging due to heavy nerfs and making the sneak gyro so bad any racial elite beat it and engie hasnt ever been meta at any other point.

That said, there are builds can be used decently if you know your engineer. In particular scrapper grenadier is essentially cheating, lol. That 180 degree toss while running with superspeed is almost as stupid as an immortal combo whombo ele.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

Is it me or the engi is pretty useless in wvw, I cant find a single build I enjoy playing in wvw. Its either to melee focus to be able to do anything, or support and I get 0 loot. Mind I hate roaming, only play in zerg. I feel I cant do anytjing except getting farm.

PS. I hate this gamemode, each time I have to get a gift of battle I want to uninstall. Its always a huge quit moment. If the pve was not so fun, I would have rage quit long ago... -_-

if the lack of loot is the thing that you struggle with there are some ways that you might wanan try to improve on.
Overall loot is gonna be less than any dps class but you still have ways to tag enemies and get loot.
Some skills that you might wanna try to aim better or try to be more oportunistic with are purge gyros F-skill, elixir gun 3 and 4, hammer 2, hammer 4. 
if you're playing a winning fights theres gonna be more oportunities to tag people obviously and less pressure to keep your team healthy

Edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Run Mortar with quickness.   You will have range and a wide area of impact to tag people.   You'll also have access to swiftness and sure speed.  You can take Elixr S to run away with invuln when needed.   I'd take bulwark for its defensive properties... blast gyro for the stun break, elixS, healing gyro and mortar.  Stand in Zerg... have fun

Every build sucks

The only PvP meta in GW2 is Spellbreaker and Catalyst, and historically in pvp and pve it always eventually gets reduced to 2-3 classes which is why PvP will always be a joke, and this is why, it's probably not a good idea to choose the most meta class and to stick with the safe ones cause chances are, if you didn't pick firebrand/necro/and maybe now engi, players should always dread another balance patch, in fact, I think GW2 should drop PvP altogether at this point cause it's already likely a case of too little too late.

Maybe then, GW2 can do a little better than EoD and maybe make some endgame content with some better meat on it's bones.

Edited by Ashford.8540
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I can't make you to enjoy this mode, but what I can offer is direction on how to improve your situation. 

Don't rely on others to help, help yourself first

also dont use Mech in WvW zerging

Build to Survive

Engineer, along with the other Medium armor classes don't have the shear group power that others bring. No Tactics Banner, Stand Your Ground, no Vindicator Dodge. Though it does bring an absurd ability to be really elusive, annoying, or even lethal when brought to the right hands. Even on a core build you have several utilities to make servers mad.

Elixir S and its 4-5s length tossed stealth

Elixir R, degenerate when paired with Endurance Food / Adrenal Implant and Flashbang

Elixir X, Either form provides excellent lockdown and generates IRL threat

Alchemy in general is a great line that improves overall sustain, and offers HGH to emphasizes personal sustain and power

Rocket Boots, enables a quick escape or a chase

Slick Shoes, has a low CD stun break as well

AED, when you really don't know what to expect

Gadgets provide PvP oriented tools to ruin someone's day or save yours, investing into Gadgeteer in the Tools line is recommended but not needed for these utilities to function.

Your Gear Matters

Most people (and I'm assuming you as well) would just join WvW with copied / pasted set from Snowcrows or Metabattle. Said folks are also majority of bags gain during a fight. You're going to die first unless you absolutely know what you're doing, even then a stray burst would end your glass kitten.

Invest into Toughness, such as Karka Potions, Durability Runes or other +125 Toughness Runes

Condition Cleanse is important, don't just rely on others to cleanse you, get some Cleansing Sigils or even Anti-Toxin Runes

Offensive boons aren't important, but if you can make space then get Might or even Quickness sources in Sigils or Runes

Fight Dirty

Follow the zerg but don't trust your zerg, you won't be getting the convivence of group heals or buffs 100% of the time.  Unless you're in comms playing a build that they're aware that would do something then you should be playing to be a complete kitten to the other team.  You don't like playing in melee, so do what engineer can do~

Mortar Spam, 1200 range with great cleave and conditions

Grenade Spam, If mortar is a Rocket Launcher then your Grenades are more of a Explosive Shotgun

Tool kit pulls, if you can't kill them, pull them to your team

A play style for you

I myself don't enjoy playing with a zerg, I much prefer being that one kitten-hat causing the chaos for the other zerg or the runback coming from their spawn. I'm built to survive several players while still having the capacity to absolutely decimate a frontline if given an opportunity. Though if this works by itself, then it should work wonders when you have others around.

Celestial Four Kit Scrapper

As the name implies, you're multi-rolling into several aspects on what Engineer can do. I can go on pages on the details of the build but I'll just keep it simple as you could probably figure out the rest. (Technically this can be used with Holosmith for more greedy gameplay)

Hammer

Med Kit

Elixir Gun

Grenade Kit

Rocket Boots

Mortar

Tools 2-1-3

Explosives 1-X-2

Scrapper 2-X-X

Durability Runes

Torment Sigils

Intelligence sigils

Juggle your weapons, play safe and pelt people with explosive rounds to get your Shrapnel off.  Med Kit and Elixir Gun can be swapped for AED and Slick shoes (Or Blast Gyro) if you can't handle the APM. Your overall damage makes you a threat to most players in a fight, while your defensives enable some serious face tanking or escape.

Again, I can go on about this but I think I'm hitting the word cap.

• Thanks 2