gw2 has encountered an unrecoverable graphics driver error and must terminate

yea its looks like i tried a lot of options changing on my client gw2 and still got this same problem, probably i should enable dx9 for while untill they dont fix that crashes after that update. Im soo sure devs broken the game its not us problem with pc.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

guess we are on forced leave from gw2.
huffing on my hopium that someone on anet team would notice this game-breaking bug.

can nearly certainly confirm that's not our systems or internet since I can run much more taxing games on hardware and even shaky p2p online competitive games.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I had this issue too since wednesday this week. Til tuesday everything was fine in the game. For me the solution was to switch back do DX9. With DX11 my graphic card (rtx3070) got also too hot and loud (90°C and fans at 100%). With DX9 the temperature is round about 60°C and fans are at 60-65%.

The error was only on the new maps. On the old maps i could play like always. After switching back to DX9 i could play for 1 1/2 hours on Dragons End Map. Before switching there were crashes within minutes.

Edited by Paule.4936

3 hours ago, Paule.4936 said:

With DX11 my graphic card (rtx3070) got also too hot and loud (90°C and fans at 100%

Regardless of DX version or software bugs, that sounds like a cooling/hardware issue that needs some additional attention.

Are you using unlimited frame rates?

11 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Regardless of DX version or software bugs, that sounds like a cooling/hardware issue that needs some additional attention.

Are you using unlimited frame rates?

Hello.

Yes its the standard setting. Should i change this? To what?

I dont know if there is a hardware issue. The graphic card got switched last week, the ram is fine (tested with memtest), the hdds have no errors and the psu got also switched from 700w 80+ bronze to 1200w 80+ platinum. Windows reliability monitor shows an entry of hardware failure when GW2 is crashing but without naming the program. When the pc crashes at transport fever 2 there are 2 entries in windows rm with hardware failure and naming the app transport fever 2. So i dont know if that is a cooling or other hardware issue. The failure message could be anything.

I did some stress testing with msi kombuster. Every test lasts 10minutes or longer. Temperature around 90° and GPU load at 99% with Open GL and 80% with Vulkan. I think if there is any heating problem with my pc it would had show up.

Edited by Paule.4936
Edit for testing

9 hours ago, Paule.4936 said:

I did some stress testing with msi kombuster. Every test lasts 10minutes or longer. Temperature around 90° and GPU load at 99% with Open GL and 80% with Vulkan. I think if there is any heating problem with my pc it would had show up.

Stress testing is going to put high load on your hardware, but that doesn't mean it's fine to run it at that during "normal operation".

If GW2 with DX11 is putting that kind of stress on your GPU that it's getting hot enough for the fans to spin up 100%, adjust the graphics settings downward.  It's not supposed to be doing that, but it's still possible.  Your mention of an RTX 3070 reminded me of those cards by certain manufacturers frying themselves when New World released.  Amazon patched the game to reduce the game's demand on the GPU by imposing a frame rate limit while in menus/loading screens, IIRC.  There was a lot of back and forth on whether it was the game or the cards.  Cards usually try to protect themselves from overheating by shutting down.  That's how they're supposed to be designed.  The ones that fried didn't though and it was ultimately due to a hardware issue with specific manufacturers.

Are you overclocking the GPU by chance?  That can also introduce higher stress conditions.

Edited by Chaba.5410

2 hours ago, sysio.7986 said:

Well im tested dx11 with auto detect settings and limit fps set to 60 and like for now ~45minutes with doing full event 

https://imgur.com/qrTr0K3

also jumped 3 simple maps where before i get every 5-10min crash and for now i didnt get any problems we see for how long.

Is that what the game looks like with Effect LOD unchecked and post-processing set to high?  It's almost painful to look at for me.  This must be the high contrast color saturation thing others have been reporting with post-processing.

Edited by Chaba.5410

I switched back to dx11 with autodetected graphics but shadows set to low. We'll see if this helps. 🙂 A few minutes of short testing today in the morning was fine. Temperature about 50° and no crash.

Update: it went good so far. The temperature was a liitle bit higher as with dx9 but ok. At least no graphic (-card or -settings) related errors. I was able to play full event in Dragons End. 

One crash, but this was a client crash (with report to arenanet etc) and no entry at the windows reliability monitor.

Im good with this. The game stutters sometimes, but i think its cause it runs at 60fps.

Edited by Paule.4936
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I once had a grapic card from evga ( gtx 1080 ) that crashed alot in guild wars 2 at very spesefic places in game, but not at any stress test or anything else.

The card where tested in mulitiple systems and it always crahed at the same spots in guild wars 2 but newer in stress test or other games.

I sent the gpu in too evga and got it back with papers on all the test they had done and the card where 100% fine.

Told a-net about it and they refused to acnowlede that it where on their part.

Edited by Sansar.1302
bad spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

I once had a grapic card from evga ( gtx 1080 ) that crashed alot in guild wars 2 at very spesefic places in game, but not at any stress test or anything else.

The card where tested in mulitiple systems and it always crahed at the same spots in guild wars 2 but newer in stress test or other games.

I sent the gpu in too evga and got it back with papers on all the test they had done and the card where 100% fine.

Told a-net about it and they refused to acnowlede that it where on their part.

Wish more people understood how those stress tests can be misleading.

You are not the first to notice crashes only in games but not during tests. For example:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-crashes-during-gaming-but-not-during-stress-tests.1858978/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/wyaiey/pc_crashes_only_when_gaming_but_dosent_crash/

https://www.overclock.net/threads/gpu-crashes-in-games-but-not-in-stress-tests.1601093/

9 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I believe evga know how to test a graphic card, I gave the card to a friend who don't play gw2 an even now after many years it still runs fine.