How is Mantra of Distraction still a thing?

Ovark.2514

It's not enough that mesmers can skill stack out the wazoo. They also need to be able to instant daze you at range. How about we make it blind instead of Daze in PvP. I mean I hate blind but at least I can get off my heal skill kitten. This is some 2012 design hold-over garbage design just like much of mesmer and ele focus. Insta-cast, no interaction, and/or unblockable refuse. I mean we still don't have cast times and telegraphs on most ports in the game. It was like pulling teeth to get anet to even change Untamed port. But it's ok for all other port specs to be able to combo you through walls at will with no telegraph. Either require LoS or (even better) make it so that TP skills have a shrinking circle indicator on the targeted player along with a cast time to the port. Rant over, temporarily.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

It's not enough that eles can skill stack out the wazoo. They also need to be able to instant heal you at range. How about we make it barrier instead of heal in PvP. I mean I hate barrier but at least I can get off my dps skill kitten. This is some 2012 design hold-over garbage design just like much of mesmer and ele focus. Insta-cast, no interaction, and/or unblockable refuse.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2023 at 3:37 AM, Ovark.2514 said:

Thank you for missing the whole point

Of course having your healing skill interrupted is a tragedy, we all hate to see it. Of course, OF COURSE resustain is an important part of the combat cycle in gw2. Of course. Of course! Of course.

But maybe.

JUST MAYBE.

If you decide to CAST A VERY IMPORTANT SKILL against someone geared specifically to INTERRUPT VERY IMPORTANT SKILLS, and your VERY IMPORTANT SKILL GETS RUPTED, it's not that weird?
MAYBE if you have several ways to protect your very important skill (aegis, blind, stability, stealth, line of sight, healing skill with blocks\evades, healing skills with low cast times), and you use none, and the mesmer takes advantage of this, IT'S A TINY BIT YOUR FAULT?

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Of course having your healing skill interrupted is a tragedy, we all hate to see it. Of course, OF COURSE resustain is an important part of the combat cycle in gw2. Of course. Of course! Of course.

But maybe.

JUST MAYBE.

If you decide to CAST A VERY IMPORTANT SKILL against someone geared specifically to INTERRUPT VERY IMPORTANT SKILLS, and your VERY IMPORTANT SKILL GETS RUPTED, it's not that weird?
MAYBE if you have several ways to protect your very important skill (aegis, blind, stability, stealth, line of sight), and you use none, and the mesmer takes advantage of this, IT'S A TINY BIT YOUR FAULT?

No you have it all wrong. Mesmer is still OP, even Mirage with one dodge. Haven't you seen any of the pvp in the past few months or so? Nothing but Mesmers. (eles)

My solution is that since Mantra of Distraction is still super OP now that it has a 2sec channel, we should remove another dodge on Mirage and then buff ele because that class really needs it now. Only 2 catas and 1 tempest were in the last MAT.

That's far too few eles IMO, anet has to pump those numbers up. Rookie numbers. Ideally perfect balance would be 5x catas vs 5x catas with maybe a tempest thrown in there or something.

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

But maybe.

JUST MAYBE.

MAYBE if you have several ways to protect your very important skill (aegis, blind, stability, stealth, line of sight), and you use none, and the mesmer takes advantage of this, IT'S A TINY BIT YOUR FAULT?

Ya know that might be a valid criticism if not for the fact that not only is an insta-cast ranged CC super unhealthy for the game but on top of that, mesmers could just insta-port around the terrain you are using and CC you anyway. The compounding bad design knows no bounds.

• Like 3
  • Confused 10

2 minutes ago, Ovark.2514 said:

It's still played, just not necessarily meta. Doesn't mean it's not still an issue. If the devs only ever fixed stuff that's meta this game will take another 10y to fix.

What's comical about this thread js mesmers are not really meta, and they're not even an issue really... they are just reeeaallly annoying lol.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The last time I was playing agains a Mesmer, that always interrupted my healing skill, I started covering it, with stability. I know that not everyone can afford slotting an instant stability skill, and Engineers has it easy, with Elixir U. But as someone already said, if you are running without any countermeasures against the interrupt, your build is set up to fail, against a skilled opponent, with a lot of cc.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ovark.2514 said:

Ya know that might be a valid criticism if not for the fact that not only is an insta-cast ranged CC super unhealthy for the game but on top of that, mesmers could just insta-port around the terrain you are using and CC you anyway. The compounding bad design knows no bounds.

No, it doesn't, since mesmer is the slowest class in the game by far. Unless they burn a blink, but let me get this straight: if I burn a 35s cd and a 24s cd, then I auto aim towards you (because MoD requires facing, but you'll have to turn your character manually) and I pull off the interrupt in that single 0.7s window, I deserve to pull it off.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Ovark.2514 said:

Okay, but once they're investing serious cooldowns into interrupting you, you gotta stop and ask, "how is this all that different from another class just investing similar resources to straight-up kill you while you're trying to cast your heal?"

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

Okay, but once they're investing serious cooldowns into interrupting you, you gotta stop and ask, "how is this all that different from another class just investing similar resources to straight-up kill you while you're trying to cast your heal?"

This is not the point. Again, the point is, is it healthy to have an insta-cast ranged CC?

Edited by Ovark.2514
accidentally said hard CC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Ovark.2514 said:

This is not the point. Again, the point is, is it healthy to have an insta-cast ranged hard CC?

Daze isn't a hard CC, but I do get your point. I think however, since daze being a soft CC (you can still move), it's pretty fine. Not optimal, but not terrible either. If Mantra of Distraction were a stun though, yeah that would be a big no no for balance.

For me though, there are bigger balance issues for gw2 pvp today than Mantra of Distraction.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

It's not enough that eles can skill stack out the wazoo. They also need to be able to instant heal you at range. How about we make it barrier instead of heal in PvP. I mean I hate barrier but at least I can get off my dps skill kitten. This is some 2012 design hold-over garbage design just like much of mesmer and ele focus. Insta-cast, no interaction, and/or unblockable refuse.

Barrier should not exist IMO.

I wouldn't feel as bad if DEEP WOUND, a negative barrier effect had been introduced.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ovark.2514 said:

This is not the point. Again, the point is, is it healthy to have an insta-cast ranged CC?

It is. The mesmer doesn't have the chase to convert a running foe into a kill, so: your healing skill gets rupted (even if you have the tools to prevent that), you just keep on kiting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

Why does Helseth thinks only mesmer should be able to punish people for casting skills whenever they want?

Because mesmer gives up some things to achieve that (first being resustain, just to name one: the main idea is "mesmer can't resustain well, but a mesmer can also deny other classes' resustain"). Interrupts on mesmer are also all blockable -for counterplay-, and mesmer doesn't have access to chilled -interrupts would be too punishing otherwise-. And that being said, thief has access to similar tools in the form of Steal and Headshot.

Other classes get access to some other tools, and give up something else. That's how RPG games work.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 4