Could we see the return of Signet of Capture?

Hellbore.1473

I've been thinking about what possible new features Arenanet could bring to these new mini expansions. I think now is a good time for the return of Signet of Capture. For those that are unaware, Signet of Capture was a purchasable skill from Guild Wars 1 that you slotted into your skill bar. You would then venture out into the instanced based pve maps, locate a unique boss that once killed allowed you to take their unique profession elite skill. Since anet somewhat divulged no new elite specializations would be coming with the new mini expansion model, why not add the ability for continued build diversity and theory craft by only adding one unique skill. This way they would only need to balance around a few niche skills instead of 9 whole professions. They could implement it way were each profession had a unique world boss that either spwans on a timer or through event chains. You would still need to purchase the Signet of Capture, but the ability to do so would be locked behind mastery ranks. With each new rank up lowering the cost.

I think WoW at some point added a gameplay mechanic where you would be given a piece of gear that was sperate from the normal armor/weapons that you could upgrade which would add new profession mechanics or buffs to your character. We could se something like this being added with the new elite skill being itself upgradable with tiers that needed you to collect essences that the unique boss drops. Maybe even adding a whole new ability tree, mind you that these buffs would only be small and incremental . There are many possibilities that could be explored and would get people out in the open world more, while still adding a sense of build diversity and character progression that in my view is lacking from GW1 to GW2.

Apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes, writing this on a train coming from work...

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It was my understanding that the bundling of 5 skills under a weapon was specifically to avoid the GW1 balance nightmare of endless permutations of individual skills.

What other kind of progression would you think they could add if not new elite specializations? I understand they stated the wanted to avoid the balance that the 1300+ skills in GW1, I am not suggesting a massive amount just 9 Elite skills that could add some flavor to the current specs we have now. 

23 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

there were training manuals when the game first started, but they were removed as part of the new player initiative.

It's been 10 years since then, and they have already added many new profession skills over the years. I'm pretty sure they can continue iterating on skills progression with one new skill that could add some sense of "freshness" to the existing professions without changing the meta or playstyle of class. 

Also I'm just spitballing here about where Anet might take the professions moving forward if indeed there will be no more elite specializations with these mini expansions.

Just wanted to add, who else remembers GW1 Green Weapons? I miss this aspect from GW1 just as much as skill hunting. They kind of have this already in GW2 with unique drops like Sam (from the treasure hunter achievement) but it's not the same. I remember forming parties to hunt Silver Edge in Drakkar Lake and other unique boss drops for build craft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hellbore.1473 said:

I've been thinking about what possible new features Arenanet could bring to these new mini expansions. I think now is a good time for the return of Signet of Capture. For those that are unaware, Signet of Capture was a purchasable skill from Guild Wars 1 that you slotted into your skill bar. You would then venture out into the instanced based pve maps, locate a unique boss that once killed allowed you to take their unique profession elite skill. Since anet somewhat divulged no new elite specializations would be coming with the new mini expansion model, why not add the ability for continued build diversity and theory craft by only adding one unique skill. This way they would only need to balance around a few niche skills instead of 9 whole professions. They could implement it way were each profession had a unique world boss that either spwans on a timer or through event chains. You would still need to purchase the Signet of Capture, but the ability to do so would be locked behind mastery ranks. With each new rank up lowering the cost.

I think WoW at some point added a gameplay mechanic where you would be given a piece of gear that was sperate from the normal armor/weapons that you could upgrade which would add new profession mechanics or buffs to your character. We could se something like this being added with the new elite skill being itself upgradable with tiers that needed you to collect essences that the unique boss drops. Maybe even adding a whole new ability tree, mind you that these buffs would only be small and incremental . There are many possibilities that could be explored and would get people out in the open world more, while still adding a sense of build diversity and character progression that in my view is lacking from GW1 to GW2.

Apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes, writing this on a train coming from work...

Nice idea

I wish we could unlock for Staff Ele's  auto attack v2, with  faster animation (like Engi) and sacrifice power from other skills (some skills/utilities don't offer protection) .

Ofc version 2 modes don't work in other modes , or permanently in PvE (only after breaking the Boss breakbar or successfully evading his most dangerous attacks)

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

It's great still in GW1 tho

Was it? Some of these skills were locked behind bosses with some ridiculously random spawn rates. Those were pure annoyance, nothing more.

By the way, since OP is arguing for the sake of skill diversity, which they are really interested in? Grind-and-purchase based acquisition methods for skills, or just introducing new skills in general? Because the former does nothing for that diversity at all.

• Confused 1