Dye Mechanist Mech?

Stx.4857

Can you please add dye options for Mechanist mechs?  Even if we can't dye the jade parts (I wish we could), it would be nice to be able to dye the gold bits the same as we can dye our mounts, outfits, and gliders.

This would be a nice way to at least give mechanist players some way to customize their mech without adding new mech skins entirely (which is another popular request but one that might not be realistic in the near future).

If we can dye the jade armor outfits, back items, and mounts, I think it would be totally doable to allow us to dye our mechs!  And this would also be nice for non-mechanist players too who have to stare at the same giant green mechs all over the place lol!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

It does look ridiculous seeing the same giant green robot everywhere, it's probably the only repetitive model that runs around with players in the game currently. I agree they need to at least let us dye it, or implement Ranger tech so we can "tame" other mechs. I refuse to even play the spec because how much I dislike the color green.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Be cool if there was some more spec flavour stuff in the world kinda like wow has done at times with hunter spirit beasts and warlocks green fire.

Some rare but fancier pet skins of current pets in the wild that can be tamed, some ancient necro rituals that gave different minion skins like risen or awakened, some jade tech collection that unlocked a diff skin or colour mech, racial themed turrets and stuff.

Or even just slap it on the gem store and make some money anet.

• Thanks 1

A significant roadblock might be UI - mounts, glider skins, and so on are universal to all professions, and therefore the UI is the same for all professions. Mech skins, dyes, and so on would require a separate piece of the UI just for engineers, though.

I do think this is a solvable problem, though - have a 'profession specific customisation' tab that offers whatever customisation options might be specific to that profession. That way, non-engineers wouldn't have a space for customising mechs, but might have space for any customisation they do have (bladesworn gunsabers, perhaps?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, Doggie.3184 said:

We should be able to dye them, including the Jade parts. Don't settle for less.

We've had 10 years of non DYE customisable ranger pets.

80% of which arent even fit for purpose, and are completely unused in game.

You mech users roll up here and expect to immediately get even more preferential development treatment REGARDING DYES?

Get to the back of the DYE queue.

😡

Edited by Sandzibar.5134
DYE DYE DYE DYE
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

We've had 10 years of non customisable ranger pets.

80% of which arent even fit for purpose, and are completely unused in game.

You mech users roll up here and expect to immediately get even more preferential development treatment?

Get to the back of the queue.

Eh. While a lot of pets are weak and/or outdated, most roles that you might want your pet to do have multiple pets that are viable for the role. So unless you're minmaxing to the point of identifying that pet A is 2% better at a particular role than pet B and therefore pet B should never be used, there is some degree of freedom to customise.

Mechs can only adjust their arms, and doing so is intended to change their role.

I'd say customising mechs should be higher in priority than customising pets.

Balancing pets is a whole other thing, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Eh. While a lot of pets are weak and/or outdated, most roles that you might want your pet to do have multiple pets that are viable for the role. So unless you're minmaxing to the point of identifying that pet A is 2% better at a particular role than pet B and therefore pet B should never be used, there is some degree of freedom to customise.

Mechs can only adjust their arms, and doing so is intended to change their role.

I'd say customising mechs should be higher in priority than customising pets.

Dye customisation my dude. The topic at hand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

Dye customisation my dude. The topic at hand.

So? My point still stands. Nothing you said justifies a claim that mechs should be behind pets in the queue. Particularly since for many families, their colours are part of recognising which pet they are, which isn't the case for mechs.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

So? My point still stands. Nothing you said justifies a claim that mechs should be behind pets in the queue. Particularly since for many families, their colours are part of recognising which pet they are, which isn't the case for mechs.

DYE.

love you.

Edited by Sandzibar.5134
oogabooga
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

DYE.

3 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Added emphasis to drive home the point. Simply adding dye channels to pets isn't so simple due to colour being a distinguishing feature for many pet families - dye channels could allow for disguising one pet as another. Furthermore, adding dye channels to mechs would only require adding dye channels to one model and three sets of arms, while pets have 21 before you even consider model variations within a family. So adding dye channels to mechs is a much lower-hanging fruit.

Mechs looking near-identical is also far more noticeable. Pets are smaller, and even with the majority of pets not being used, there are still over a dozen that see use in popular builds and people do have the choice of using an off-meta pet if they're willing to take something a little less effective for the sake of being different (a choice that mechanists don't have). So pretty much everyone has observed clusters of near-identical mechs anywhere where players congregate. Customisation options - where a dye channel or two would be one of the simpler options - would remove that feeling of always seeing those clusters of mech clones.

So dye channels for mechs is both easier to implement and would have a more significant effect on player experience than dye channels on pets. I think that justifies being, if anything, ahead in the queue.

And I say this as someone who doesn't particularly enjoy mechanist and therefore rarely plays it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2023 at 7:24 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

A significant roadblock might be UI - mounts, glider skins, and so on are universal to all professions, and therefore the UI is the same for all professions. Mech skins, dyes, and so on would require a separate piece of the UI just for engineers, though.

I do think this is a solvable problem, though - have a 'profession specific customisation' tab that offers whatever customisation options might be specific to that profession. That way, non-engineers wouldn't have a space for customising mechs, but might have space for any customisation they do have (bladesworn gunsabers, perhaps?).

You overthinking here a little bit. Rangers already have 'pet menu'. I think its hotkey is b or n or somethingike that.  We could just use same hotkey to open mech customisation menu. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...