Gen3 variants are way too expensive

KingJoko.1625

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't know who you're explaining what legendaries are, but if it's somehow directed at me, from the start I keep writing "legendary skins", so it doesn't seem like I need the difference explained here. They said you won't need to re-craft legendaries and you don't. What's false about that? 

I'm not working against my own interest and in no way I'm somehow "pushing the prices up"(??), perhaps first focus on understanding that mmos need longer term goals and right now you're literally complaining about skins acquirable through gameplay. It's even more ridiculous to me when someone claims these are "just blc skins!", but somehow they don't go buy "just blc" skins instead, but press for lowering the price of the "just blc skins" they apparently want... more than other blc skins. 🤔  Explain the logic/problem here please.

You just suddenly want to get 7 leggy skins for -more or less- the price of one legendary weapon, which is simply ridiculous. Go grab a full set of BLC weapons if it's all the same to you or stop misrepresenting reality in an effort to leverage the price of a thing you actually want.

How can someone be so confident in their terrible take is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 9

@Sobx.1758
You know when you reassure people that you don't have to craft something but you can just unlock more after having one the implication is that it's not as much or more than the base set.

I think the maximum acceptable amount for all the facets combined is less than 2 legendaries because once you go above that you're just being misleading on purpose. And right below 2 legendaries would already be kinda trying to push the limits of what's fair advertisement.

And yeah you defending what anet has done as people just wanting free legendaries is absolutely part of why these legendaries are so overpriced. This game already has plenty of things to do. I doubt you've unlocked all the legendaries with aspects either and i don't think you will anytime soon. Maybe you just care about a single one of them and then you're fine.

What if you're a new player and this is your first legendary? Are you going to craft all the aspects or are you going to get 3 legendaries instead? What if you crafted one because you thought it looked cool but you didn't check out how much each aspect costs and now you have to consider if you want more than one aspect? Maybe you can't even afford anything besides aurene.
There are bad game design decisions here and even for long term players these legendary aspects are difficult to get and people saying i'm fine with this is just going to ruin things for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

Also you're right. It's not just a black lion weapon set. It's a legendary set advertised for the EoD expansion that some people partially purchased because of that so it should be held to a higher standard.

I think your argument of just buy something different is irrelevant too because if they released a 400 gold bl weapon set it would be fair to criticize that as well so I don't really see your point. Yeah you're right that would be an issue too but they don't cost 400 gold each so we're not talking about that

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Redsnabba.9172 said:

You know when you reassure people that you don't have to craft something but you can just unlock more after having one the implication is that it's not as much or more than the base set.

Pretty sure they did say variants will need materials. And each skin is not nearly as much as base set. As far as I remember, they reassured we won't need to recraft legendaries and we don't. Just because you somehow took it as a sign of "I'll craft that leggy and then I'll easly have 7 leggy skins for cheap" your -again, not really reasonable- take on this.

What if you're a new player and this is your first legendary?

Yeah, new players always just bolt for those leggies, don't they? Don't push your own wants by using your imagined new players, I think it's a bit too transparent to hold.

Are you going to craft all the aspects or are you going to get 3 legendaries instead? What if you crafted one because you thought it looked cool but you didn't check out how much each aspect costs

How is this some "either-or"/"all-or-nothing" situation now all of the sudden? Why does anyone need to make that decision right away? Why do you think legendary skins are so crucial here, especially for... new players? Why are players apparently randomly crafting legendaries now without checking what is needed to do it in the first place (lets make no mistake here: they don't).

Pretty sure this is one of the most random "it's totally not about me, it's about new players!" attempts at argumentation I've seen.

and now you have to consider if you want more than one aspect? Maybe you can't even afford anything besides aurene.

What if? Absolutely nothing. This is legendary skin, the question is more about: why would any player expect to get 7 legendary skins for the price of one? Did they come up with that idea themselves? Did they not actually check what is needed and blindly crafted a whole leggy, coming up with the needed ingredients? Why are you making up these ridiculously unrealistic situations, don't you have any realistic one to support your want of the x legendary skin?

There are bad game design decisions here and even for long term players these legendary aspects are difficult to get and people saying i'm fine with this is just going to ruin things for everyone.

It's only "hard to get" if you don't want to play the content. You're not entitled to suddenly unlock 7x16 legendary skins by default just because you decided to craft 16 legendaries.

I think your argument of just buy something different is irrelevant too because if they released a 400 gold bl weapon set it would be fair to criticize that as well so I don't really see your point. Yeah you're right that would be an issue too but they don't cost 400 gold each so we're not talking about that

Well then, let me explain (again, because I already did in the post you didn't bothered quoting for some reason) :
if someone thinks gen 3 skins are just some kitteny equivalent of bltc skins then it means they see it as equal in quality and effects. If that was the case, it would make gen 3 variants nothing more than overpriced BLTC set (in those players' eyes), at which point they should be able to easly forget about it and buy cheaper BLTC skin sets with the same quality. As for the post you didn't bother quoting, here are some of the relevant parts about it:

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It's even more ridiculous to me when someone claims these are "just blc skins!", but somehow they don't go buy "just blc" skins instead, but press for lowering the price of the "just blc skins" they apparently want... more than other blc skins.

(...)

Go grab a full set of BLC weapons if it's all the same to you or stop misrepresenting reality in an effort to leverage the price of a thing you actually want.

Basically people saying this is just bltc skins are using it as a rather obvious false reasoning.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Nobody said they have to be free. They are overpriced and that's a fact. You are right it's not a new legendary each time. It's much worse and it costs A THIRD of a new legendary. Combined you can craft THREE legendaries for the price of one.

This idea that stuff is free because "you're playing" makes no sense. Everything has a cost and that doesn't get any less because you earned it instead of purchasing it. Nobody is saying the legendaries should be free. It's just obviously ridiculous when you can get 3 legendaries for the price of this one and you saying i don't care about new players is just a weird assumption. You don't know me.

What I do know is that the legendaries don't come with a warning label: "don't craft this one it's a massive gold trap just get gen 1 or gen 2 instead". If you think everyone informs themselves properly before starting a legendary then I think you're a bit misinformed as well.

You want my personal take on the legendaries? Even if all the legendary aspects were free I'd consider getting the other 2 gens. I think they look very basic and while they are competently made effects-wise imo they are really nothing special and i'm not a fan of set items. So I don't know why you go for some weird ad hominem like you know me. I don't even want gen 3.

It doesn't change the fact that they are overpriced and you basically have to craft them twice for every legendary if you want all the aspects so NO anet did NOT keep their promise and i still don't know why you're trying to work on keeping the prices higher than they should be.
Also as has been stated after the stealth patch of the jumping puzzle i expect the price to go through the roof so i guess for the time being we'll probably be able to buy 4 or more legendaries instead of this one.

As to the BL skins - how on earth do you know they don't buy the black lion skins? Maybe the own all of them. It's just such an irrelevant argument. As i've stated if some random new black lions skin set was 400 gold instead of 40 that would be worth complaining about too so I don't get your point. Maybe someone completely thinks these look as good as black lion skins but cost 10 times more. You're trying to imply that these clearly look better but that's not a fact that's just an opinion.

And no I don't quote everything because this is already a text wall and it doesn't really help to make it longer.

Edited by Redsnabba.9172
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8

Nobody said they have to be free. They are overpriced and that's a fact. You are right it's not a new legendary each time. It's much worse and it costs A THIRD of a new legendary. Combined you can craft THREE legendaries for the price of one.

It's not overpriced and you keep commenting on things I didn't say. "you're right it's not new legendary each time"? -we were clearly talking about the cost of the acquisition, so how is this even supposed to be a relevant answer to what was written there?

This idea that stuff is free because "you're playing" makes no sense.

Again, what exactly are you commenting on right now? Where did I say that in the post you're responding to? Is this why you're not quoting what you're responding to? Because you can just keep responding to something I -pretty sure- didn't say and it will be harder for people to realise that?

and you saying i don't care about new players is just a weird assumption. You don't know me.

Again, this is not what I said in my post. Re-read, quote specifically what you're responding to and respond accordingly to what I said instead of what you apparently think (or hope) I said. For now you're just repeatedly making up stuff instead of addressing what I wrote.

What I do know is that the legendaries don't come with a warning label: "don't craft this one it's a massive gold trap just get gen 1 or gen 2 instead". If you think everyone informs themselves properly before starting a legendary then I think you're a bit misinformed as well.

hah, right. Let me know how new players start playing gw2 and just craft leggies by themselves without checking what it requires. No, really, tell me how you think that goes exactly.

You want my personal take on the legendaries? Even if all the legendary aspects were free I'd consider getting the other 2 gens. I think they look very basic and while they are competently made effects-wise imo they are really nothing special and i'm not a fan of set items.

So you craft the other ones. I fail to see how this is in any way problematic.

It doesn't change the fact that they are overpriced and you basically have to craft them twice for every legendary if you want all the aspects so NO anet did NOT keep their promise and i still don't know why you're trying to work on keeping the prices higher than they should be.

Nope they're not. And if you want 7 legendary skins, it's understandable it should have a decent cost to not simply blow every other legendary out of the water. It really shouldn't be this hard to understand. All you wnat here is some extreme value, nothing more and your expectations are not reasonable.

As to the BL skins - how on earth do you know they don't buy the black lion skins?

How is this responding to what I said? you're just trying to sidestep it. If someone truly think they're the same skins, then why are they here complaining about that one bltc set instead of buying xx other sets instead and moving on? Is it because they truly think they're the same? Sure.

Maybe the own all of them.

haha, ok, they sure own all of them and getting variants is still such an obstacle. Are you sure you fully understand what you're talking about here?

It's just such an irrelevant argument. As i've stated if some random new black lions skin set was 400 gold instead of 40 that would be worth complaining about too so I don't get your point. Maybe someone completely thinks these look as good as black lion skins but cost 10 times more. You're trying to imply that these clearly look better but that's not a fact that's just an opinion.

But it's not and there's plenty of bltc skin themes to fit more looks than the variants do. What is saying "if bltc skin was 10x the price" suposed to change here? I literally already responded to it, if they think they're the same than there's 0 reason to go for "that overpriced one". They know it's not the same, it's a false argument, just like yours which needs to artificially increase actual bltc skins' prices in order to say "you'd fight against it to". Nobody cares you would, if the skins are in the same "class"/quality, just take all the cheaper ones, it's that simple. But they're not in the same class/quality. That's the point. Stop using blatantly false reasoning.

But what if bltc skins would cost 23718 gold?! Completely irrelevant, because they don't -if you think the quality is the same, buy bltc skins out and move on. If you don't think the quality is the same, stop pretending otherwise. Seems pretty easy, not sure which part here is unclear for you.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Theyre 300g~500g this is incredible cheaper..

Also they make justice to "legendary", i mean visual effects....

If they make more cheper, prepare for visual pollution.

We already have balls pollutions everywhere with so many auroras or wvw/pvp legendary trinkers, and theyre 1k gold!!

It's time to Anet give a breath to shiny legendaries and make anything new cost 3k ++ gold.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, KingJoko.1625 said:

What happened to the promise of making them cheap before EOD  release? They are incredibly expensive and time consuming to get. And anet keeps nerfing the materials to push the prices higher and higher. Not to mention that obnoxious collection you have to make for every single weapon. Like seriously, the 6 variants together cost the same as 2-3 full legendary weapons. FOR A RESKIN. 

So anet was lazy to properly make a gen3 set with unique weapons, fine. Then they promise to make the variants  cheap, which would've been fair. But they are way too overpriced.

Anyone else think this is an issue?

It's like 400g and a couple of hours at most to get. Seems fast and cheap to me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, crazycookie.3247 said:

what do you mean they are expensive? IMO they basically cost nothing compared to gen2 and are very easy and fast to build. The only thing which i deeply hate about gen3 are the research notes.

(2,3,1) Axe: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30684;1-76158;1-96937

(2,3,1) Dagger: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30687;1-87109;1-96203

(2,3,1) Focus: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30688;1-86098;1-97165

(2,3,1) Greatsword (Sunrise): https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30703;1-90551;1-96356

(2,3,1) Greatsword (Twilight): https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30704;1-90551;1-96356
(1,2,3) Greatsword (Eternity): https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30689;1-90551;1-96356
(2,3,1) Hammer: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30690;1-81839;1-95684

Harpoon Gun: N/A (Only has Gen1 variant)

(2,3,1) Longbow: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30685;1-89854;1-97590

(2,3,1) Mace: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30692;1-79562;1-95612

(2,3,1) Pistol: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30693;1-72713;1-95808

(2,3,1) Rifle: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30694;1-80488;1-97377

(2,3,1) Scepter: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30695;1-88576;1-96221

(2,3,1) Shield: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30696;1-79802;1-96028

(2,3,1) Short Bow: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30686;1-78556;1-97077

Spear: N/A (Only has Gen1 variant)

(2,3,1) Staff: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30698;1-71383;1-96652

(2,3,1) Sword: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30699;1-81957;1-95675

(2,3,1) Torch: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30700;1-81206;1-97099

Trident: N/A (Only has Gen1 variant)

(2,3,1) Warhorn: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-30702;1-87687;1-97783

Legend: (1,2,3) is from most expensive to least expensive for the specific gen 1, 2, and 3 legendary weapon equivalents.  This is via Buy Price (Ordering) on the TP according to GW2 efficiency.

The average gold difference between Gen 3 and Gen 2 is ~50 to 100g (The lowest I've seen so far is ~32g price difference between crafting a Gen 3 vs Gen 2) in favor of Gen 3 being cheaper than Gen 2.  Meanwhile, Gen 1 barely ever passes 1000 gold for the legendary weapon in question to craft and the usual price difference  is 200-500 gold to craft (Anywhere from 700 to 1100 gold to craft a Gen1 legendary).

So no, Gen 3 (Aurene) weapons don't "basically cost nothing compared to Gen 2".  Gen 1 basically cost nothing compared to Gen 2 & Gen 3.

• Like 6

I've made three weapons at this point (working on a fourth), and three skins (one each for Jormag, Mordremoth, and Kralkatorrik, with partial progress on a Zhaitan and Primordus skin), and after the Wind Through The Walls nerf, I think I'm done. The Jade Runestones were already enough of a gate when I was getting 26/day: at 13 remaining weapons and 93 more skins to spend Jade Runestones on, I was looking at 19,900 Jade Runestones, or another 765 days of effort. A little over 2 years to get that one material. 

Now that's shot up to 54.5 years. That's unreal. I know there are other ways to get the runestones, but most of them are RNG, and their price is sure to skyrocket now that the most reliable source is wildly diminished. Unless this is a bug and/or gets reverted, I'm done making these weapons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Agreed. I looked at the cost for the dragon variants today and even as an 8 year vet with plenty of gold and a willingness to grind, I couldn’t help but say ‘this isn’t worth it’ and go back to my other goals.  For that price I’d rather make a few more full on legendaries 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, KingJoko.1625 said:

Players like you is why anet gets away with the blatant lies and false advertisement they do. Like how the raid lege armor which was a selling point of HOT got released 2 years later, or the gen2 lege weapons etc.

Players like you are why we can't have nice things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Agreed. I looked at the cost for the dragon variants today and even as an 8 year vet with plenty of gold and a willingness to grind, I couldn’t help but say ‘this isn’t worth it’ and go back to my other goals.  For that price I’d rather make a few more full on legendaries 

if you're just after legendaries for the stat swap and free transmutation, Generation 1 legendaries are the cheapest to craft and you can craft about two per the cost of one gen 3 legendary and a variant. skin.

• Thanks 1

Where did ANet say they would be cheap?

The only thing I remember which resembles that is the blog post that introduced them but it only said they would not cost as much as a whole weapon.

you won’t have to worry about spending tons of resources making and remaking these weapons.

Did people not finish reading the whole sentence?

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

snip

So no, Gen 3 (Aurene) weapons don't "basically cost nothing compared to Gen 2".  Gen 1 basically cost nothing compared to Gen 2 & Gen 3.

Yes, if you compare the price of gen3 legendaries right after the materials spiked due to a patch, they will be far more expensive. Before the price spike, the costs where in a constant decline and the only bumps which happened where due to variants releasing (this has happened 6 times by now, one would assume players actually interested in gen3 or variants would have caught on by now).

Yet Gen3 legendaries are still FAR off from where Gen2 where in the past (1.8-2k gold when self crafting).

So as far as actual metrics to base any argument about something being "to expensive": no the gen3s are not to expensive (both going by historic prices of Gen1+2 AND historic prices of Gen3 themselves and the price development for them).

As far as subjective interpretation, sure some players might find gen3 legendaries to expensive. Then again, there has always been players who found gen1 or gen2 or any legendary to expensive.

The price for variants peaked at around 440g per (in the past), which we are still far off with current price being around 370-380 gold (with a low point of around 290g per). If you can't wait and need to get everything NOW, then pay the premium. Otherwise wait and let prices settle once again.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

The thing that makes me sad is people had alts at New Kaining JP for a full year. (i didnt bother because i didn't have much time to even try EoD out properly yet) but now i feel like i potentially missed out on a huge amount of gold. Because they made it account-wide but didn't bother incrteasing the reward. So Runestones are probably going up in price like crazy. And i'll probably have very little of the account bound currency that they'll probably want 5000 of later because its Anet.. gotta have a huge grind for everything.

This game is honestly starting to feel like a full time job with all the metas and such

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

25 minutes ago, LunaDeviner.6514 said:

The thing that makes me sad is people had alts at New Kaining JP for a full year. (i didnt bother because i didn't have much time to even try EoD out properly yet) but now i feel like i potentially missed out on a huge amount of gold. Because they made it account-wide but didn't bother incrteasing the reward. So Runestones are probably going up in price like crazy. And i'll probably have very little of the account bound currency that they'll probably want 5000 of later because its Anet.. gotta have a huge grind for everything.

This game is honestly starting to feel like a full time job with all the metas and such

Your new job is to open every Shrine Guardian chest in the game daily and farm Unusual Dogecoins to buy them with in new zone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Yes, if you compare the price of gen3 legendaries right after the materials spiked due to a patch, they will be far more expensive. Before the price spike, the costs where in a constant decline and the only bumps which happened where due to variants releasing (this has happened 6 times by now, one would assume players actually interested in gen3 or variants would have caught on by now).

Yet Gen3 legendaries are still FAR off from where Gen2 where in the past (1.8-2k gold when self crafting).

So as far as actual metrics to base any argument about something being "to expensive": no the gen3s are not to expensive (both going by historic prices of Gen1+2 AND historic prices of Gen3 themselves and the price development for them).

As far as subjective interpretation, sure some players might find gen3 legendaries to expensive. Then again, there has always been players who found gen1 or gen2 or any legendary to expensive.

The price for variants peaked at around 440g per (in the past), which we are still far off with current price being around 370-380 gold (with a low point of around 290g per). If you can't wait and need to get everything NOW, then pay the premium. Otherwise wait and let prices settle once again.

For the cost of a variant and a Gen3, currently, (Evven if we take historically, they only cost  ~1800 gold together) You get  two gen1 legendary weapons with all the bells and whistles of a legendary item for the cost of  one legendary and a skin with Gen 3 legendary weapons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LunaDeviner.6514 said:

"didn't [really play] for a year...   ...this game is starting to feel like a full time job". I don't know what job you have where you can just almost not show up for a year and then come back while still being as fine as you were before.
Runestones momentarily shot up because of the nerf AND the release of variants. I doubt it's a long term price change, it will probably settle a little higher than it was before, but not that much.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

47 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

For the cost of a variant and a Gen3, currently, (Evven if we take historically, they only cost  ~1800 gold together) You get  two gen1 legendary weapons with all the bells and whistles of a legendary item for the cost of  one legendary and a skin with Gen 3 legendary weapons.

You are telling me that:

a 1 year old legendary item WITH an additional skin at a MOMENT where prices are spiked costing more than nearly 11 year old items is an issue?

Dunno, seems fine to me.

Also let me correct your calculation a bit:

- current gen3 cost 1,291g (let's round it to 1,300)

- a variant costs 390g (let's round to 400)

so even at current prices being spiked, we are at 100 gold BELOW what you calculated. That's 1 day after the initial spike (which doesn't mean prices won't spike again towards the weekend).

I'm sorry, but players who can't look past 1 hour of TP fluctuations should really not be making statements about what is and should be.

This reminds me of Sigil of Nullification all over, which spiked to 13g and above when the episode released where they were required for a specific armor collection. Turns out, a few years later the same sigils are back to 20s and below (and had dropped in price even within a few months significantly). Going by the forum noise though, one would have imagined Arenanet had sacrificed someones firstborn.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 6
  • Confused 5