Gyala Delves Feedback [Merged]

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Bummer.

Reading about it, it sounded terrible, then I imagined a chain of Mesmers tasked with keeping a supply line going for everyone else, and I thought, "Hey, that could be cool."

But... ah well.

Would you have loved to be mesmer and just running bettwen 2 points to portal people?

I guess not well sherlock neither would anyone else.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Would you have loved to be mesmer and just running bettwen 2 points to portal people?

I guess not well sherlock neither would anyone else.

I’m actually a fan of portalling. I do JPs from time to time and rts tips.

I tend to gravitate toward things in metas that give me variety beyond just  my usual character rotation. I like variety.

Sherlock?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I did the meta twice with 1 30 recharge from when interacting with it after the story into.

What was supposed to be the problem those 4-5 5 seconds of some conditions every like what 2 mins?

It doenst matter if you did the meta 500 times with just 1 charge, thats not the point.

The point is that this mechanic is COMPLETELY poorly implemented. If, for example, I am on map x, and then I change instance and go to map y and, at that point on the map where I am, it is not a waypoint (not a safe area and is not completed on the meta yet), I simply spawn on the map with a bunch of conditions and a damage debuff and it doesn't allow me to use the waypoint.

This is bad implementation. If, for example, on my map, the meta is taking too long, and my charges are running out, I need to find a waypoint to reach a filter (remembering that, if you receive the debuff and conditions, you cannot use the waypoint , fantastic implementation! WOW).

Edited by Nakasz.5471
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Yes, we got it for free if we bought the expansion it's tied to.. so we paid for it.

Right. Personally, I don't mind but I dont totally get the point of the new way this content is being proposed to work. That is, people are saying it will help them get more people to buy cause lw used to be free but lw is only free with the accompanying expac so in that sense the lw is payed for when you buy the expac. Even more so people buy the expac expecting the lw content and pre-pay in good faith without any promis. Anet has decided thats not good enough which I can live with. I dont mind paying either way so much, but I like to call an apple an apple and an orange an orange, so to speak. lw was only sorta free in s1 and s2.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I did the meta twice with 1 30 recharge from when interacting with it after the story into.

What was supposed to be the problem those 4-5 5 seconds of some conditions every like what 2 mins?

It isn't bad, I went in with 25 charges, since I went to catch the meta.  More... annoying?  It would be like every time I want a way station, I can't only buy a few then have to run back to a camp for more.  I think it won't be a big deal once I'm less interested in wandering all over lol.  Just one more thing to have to pay attention to, but at least it doesn't cost anything.

2 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

the solution isn't to design the game to the lowest common denominator. the solution is to keep throwing these mechanics into the game and make failure devastating so that people are incentivized to learn. 

As much as I'd love to agree with you (and I kinda do, actually), people still wouldn't want to learn - they'd just abandon content. There certainly needs to be far more difficulty variation in open world content though.

If this is what we can expect in the future with the mini expansions and free forever stories in between then I'm not looking forward to the future.  Really it's a bad look given the recent announcement of how content will be delivered down the line then this disappointing release is dropped soon after.  Maybe they are not related but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence.  Like a lot of IBS and EoD,  What Lies Beneath seems rushed, uninspired and distanced from the great game I knew for years.   Hopefully all the valuable feedback many have given in this thread and others will help ANet make better choices going forward. 

Edited by Nine Inch Snails.7963
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Without the filters, I was dead in less than 5 seconds at full health in my warrior. The dot was too high to outheal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Raizel.8175 said:

As much as I'd love to agree with you (and I kinda do, actually), people still wouldn't want to learn - they'd just abandon content. There certainly needs to be far more difficulty variation in open world content though.

Players won't get better unless they are challenged. There is no other way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Nakasz.5471 said:

It doenst matter if you did the meta 500 times with just 1 charge, thats not the point.

The point is that this mechanic is COMPLETELY poorly implemented. If, for example, I am on map x, and then I change instance and go to map y and, at that point on the map where I am, it is not a waypoint (not a safe area and is not completed on the meta yet), I simply spawn on the map with a bunch of conditions and a damage debuff and it doesn't allow me to use the waypoint.

This is bad implementation. If, for example, on my map, the meta is taking too long, and my charges are running out, I need to find a waypoint to reach a filter (remembering that, if you receive the debuff and conditions, you cannot use the waypoint , fantastic implementation! WOW).

Yes it is so poorly implemented that I did not even notice it when it was gone so go without it and you do you

You not gonna buy keys with research notes. so the cap of 50 + some extra keys from events, its all you get. After that, on that day, its no use to keep doing that map.

So actually ANET gave us a map you can play once each day??? So weird and such bad design. 

I like the grind part, like in drizzlewood, where the balance with keys is much better. But in this new map, it is really bad!

Oh and the new skin of soo wun sucks so much!! We need a corruption kind variant, like the enemies in DE. In stead of this copy paste from the jormag skin!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The story of this chapter didn't feel even half-finished. I understand that the second half of the map is coming in a few months like Björa or Drizzlewood, but even those had far more story, content and stuff to do. Gyoza Delves feels like a quarter of a chapter. Sleuthing a Solution comes out of the blue and then you're left with nothing to do for a few months. I'm just disappointed. I wanted this new chapter to be the start of a new Living World chapter and instead we got two story instances and a zerg with rewards worth less than the keys you need to get them. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Sorry, but the average GW2 player isn't all that great gameplay-wise. What you're writing simply means punishing people for bad other players. It also seems that some of the defiance bars are too strong - but maybe I just had bad luck with the players I've done the meta with yesterday.

That has always been the case for open world, group PvE content. CC is a basic mechanic of the game and especially after chugging through EoD, a very breakbar-heavy expac, they don't really have an excuse at this point.

I'm all for accessibility, but at some point things are about as clear-cut as they can be, and everyone deserves to suffer if they can't communicate and coordinate basic mechanics. We don't need this game removing all depth and becoming a FFXIV drive-by-rails just because the majority of the human population are dumb and lazy.

I say punish them. Punish everyone!!!!! Learn your CCs!!!!!!!!!! Gwahahahahahahaha

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

You not gonna buy keys with research notes. so the cap of 50 + some extra keys from events, its all you get. After that, on that day, its no use to keep doing that map.

So actually ANET gave us a map you can play once each day??? So weird and such bad design. 

I like the grind part, like in drizzlewood, where the balance with keys is much better. But in this new map, it is really bad!

Oh and the new skin of soo wun sucks so much!! We need a corruption kind variant, like the enemies in DE. In stead of this copy paste from the jormag skin!

• Confused 3

The story was underwhelming.

Party at the start was fun for a minute, but the amount of time the party + gathering quest at the start took up in comparison to the rest of the story was too much. Or rather, the rest of the story had way too little fun content. I don't really feel like it managed to build up any tension at all for the dangerous creatures that lives in the depths. What happened to the top tier mood build-ups that we had in LW4? It's completely gone here. They go "aaah there's a scary monster" and that's it. I'm also disappointed by the lack of mechancis on the final boss, but more on that later.

The design of Gyala Delves is fantastic.

The music on it is nice, but I would have liked something slightly more creepy-sounding. I really like the looks of the map, the layout and effects. I like how they captured the sense of going deeper, although I would have wished for it to be slightly larger with some different layers, you know secret caves and stuff like you'd see in HoT and LW3 maps. Great idea with the turtle thing to break the walls. The Filters are ..meh, I don't mind the idea, but the frequency at which you need to refresh them just makes it annoying and it feels like I can't take the time that I want to explore the map.

The meta event sucks.

Most of it isn't even that unfun or anything, it was actually quite fine for most of its duration. Maybe a tiny bit repetitive, but I'm giving the first zones a pass. My issue with it is that the final event or final boss you've been waiting to reach is an utter disappointment. A complete let-down. To begin with, the boss has no mechanics to speak of at all, he just stands there and hits people while random mobs spawn. The fight does not really change at all as you progress it, it's just more of the same and nothing really happens. The fight is split into 3 islands similar to Dragon Stand.. but players aren't required or incentivized to work together between each platform, the encounter design does not make use of this opportunity to make something interesting. Then there's also the fact that I'm not sold on the idea of having more maps being completely based around a closing meta event such as Dragon Stand and Dragon's End. I'd rather have an open map where I can explore or do whatever I want with other interesting events like we see in HoT maps. At least those other two maps managed to make the fight interesting enough where it's worth to actually visit just for the epicness, this one does not.

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 6

The zone is nice and the base concept is sound, but I have three problems with it that I want to list:

1. The final boss is not very exciting mechanics-wise and is mostly just a triple damage sponge.
  2. The keycard economy does not justify the rewards. Research notes are a pain to get anyway. I wouldn't be complaining about this if there was something to get more Research Notes with. Like, make an infinite salvage that gives some research notes back on items salvaged with it that also works as a research kit on crafted stuff. Simply taking the daily limit from events would help too as the events do not give enough keycards for a third of the amount of chests there are.
  3. Enemies spawn like crazy during events and its usually multiple elite scrappers that put quite a few people on their butts immediately. They are all also pretty tanky for their ranks.
Edited by Zacchary.6183
  • Like 1

It was very, very underwhelming.

The story is far too short. First new story content in a year and it's about an hour long. A lot of which was padded by eating food and talking to extra NPCs in order to get achievements 

The meta is like a bad Drizzlewood lane with severe asthma. Putting limits on the number of keys you can get from playing the meta is a baffling decision. Why would you want to put us off playing the map? I just hope I can get the three Ascended weapons before it dies.

If this is a glimpse of the quality we can expect from the mini expacs then it bodes ill.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

I don't like the haze mechanic. It's just stupid to have to run up and down to a camp to replace it. I got to the map without being aware of this and I just kept dying and then I found out there was an air filtration thingy but I had no idea what that was and where to recharge it and I was trying to keep up with the meta at the same time because I fell right into it during the story. 

Then the map closed and we were at the start again. So to continue the story I had to hit a wall 50 times with a turtle before I could enter the area where my story continued.

I got tons of loot as in masterwork and rare gear. Nothing special, no map currency or anything. And the last boss fight was just split into three groups and kill one of three mobs like three times each.

So it's boring, there's nothing worthwhile going there for, and I hate that haze mechanic. All reasons why I will probably not go there again. At least the map completion gave me a blc key. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I am not a raider, I don't do strikes or high level fractals - I'm just a casual and probably one of the very few to comment here but - I thought the new meta was perfectly balanced between being approachable and difficult.  What people here seem to be asking for is something so much more difficult and I don't understand why you would want that on an open world map that is designed for everyone. 

I really liked the new content. I have to admit I don't understand what the benefit of the non-free filters are though. They don't have as many charges so I didn't use them - can anyone explain what I am missing with them? 

I otherwise thought the new stuff was interesting. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

Maybe this is asking too much, but is it possible to earn new stuff to play with in this zone. Bloodstone Fen was such a great zone as I remember we got new glider skills to earn and new trinkets with special ability to reset stats on them. I spent months straight in that zone and became a master at gliding because of it. That was a really great zone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Sorry, but the average GW2 player isn't all that great gameplay-wise. What you're writing simply means punishing people for bad other players. It also seems that some of the defiance bars are too strong - but maybe I just had bad luck with the players I've done the meta with yesterday.

I can 100% agree that some (if not most) defiance bars are too strong, which I believe discourages players from thinking about slotting in crowd control abilities. 

But to imply that gw2 players are bad is not the case.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

I really liked the new content. I have to admit I don't understand what the benefit of the non-free filters are though. They don't have as many charges so I didn't use them - can anyone explain what I am missing with them? 

I think, and this is just a theory, that they're upgrades for your existing filters, so you can get up to 60 charges instead of the initial 30.